Pages:
Author

Topic: Decentralized Army - page 3. (Read 3450 times)

Activity: 392
Merit: 250
March 25, 2015, 05:54:58 PM
but wait, if a country was an army like switzerland, how would they be able to carry out the functions of an army? things like setting up bases around the world, fighting off bad things like communism and holy wars, making profitable alliances overseas, etc.
legendary
Activity: 1372
Merit: 1014
March 25, 2015, 05:44:15 PM
Mercenaries, warlord? No thanks.

Militia is what we need, like in Switzerland. Switzerland does not have an army, it is an army.

This way the government cannot use the army to fight the population.  Smiley
legendary
Activity: 1708
Merit: 1036
March 25, 2015, 04:48:30 PM
Hows about a decentralized army which instead of regular armies could protect their baker using the Darkleaks back-end code (www.darkleaks.com)?

People would pledge a small amount of bitcoin to claim a protection for an irregular army. This would ampute more power from governments who are illegitimate imao.

What do you think? Discuss.

I'm all for downsizing governments, but if you think current governments are illegitimate just wait and see what life is like under an "irregular army."

I would rather be in favor of downsizing the regular army of the nation I'm in, to oblivion, and replacing it with a volunteer militia, but still accountable to the laws and oversight of representative leaders of the country. Eliminating a regular army eliminates a toy that politicians like to play with too easily and cause mayhem and destruction with. Whereas militias are not going to go out on stupid foreign missions to feed some politician's delusions of grandeur.

Perhaps a system could be developed wherein stakeholders could vote for various competitive militia organizations, with funds being paid out for their budgets based on support levels in the voting. This could help maintain a professional caliber to the militia as any that cause problems would presumably lose public support and funding. Perhaps this is along the lines of what the OP was getting at.

But I would emphasize that the militia members and leaders must ultimately be fully accountable to the law, and not merely be able to act as they wish so long as they received some level of funding/support in such a scheme. I have on-and-off been involved with the American militia movement for the last 20+ years (and yes, I am actually from Michigan in that timeframe), used to have a pro-militia website in the 90's, etc., so this is something I've given some consideration.
legendary
Activity: 3066
Merit: 1047
Your country may be your worst enemy
March 25, 2015, 11:18:45 AM
An army is the most legitimate power of a country, to protect its citizens from foreign invaders. The Red Army, of workers and peasants, was supposed to be the people's army, but in the real world, it didn't prove to be any different from all other armies.

A decentralized army cannot exist. It would lose every war against regular armies with strong hierarchy, organization and discipline. No army can be successful without those 3 characteristics.

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000
https://youtu.be/PZm8TTLR2NU
March 25, 2015, 09:45:54 AM
OP is proposing a network of mercenaries who accepts bitcoin as payment. I think mercs prefer hard cash.

why would they like cash more than bitcoin?
Same reason anyone else would, cash has over a hundred years of legitimacy momentum, bitcoin has five years of being mostly derided by the media and six months of positive.

legendary
Activity: 2674
Merit: 1083
Legendary Escrow Service - Tip Jar in Profile
March 25, 2015, 09:31:39 AM
There are already private armies, especially in the US. They have extensive rights and are used by the US Government regularly. Unfortunately, because they hire often ex soldiers who were discharged because of errors, these armies dont have the best men often. Leading to war crimes.

But when you think this will make something better for society then youre wrong. It only would mean that the people with the money will buy their military power. Only a more direct way than companies lobbying governments to make what they want to happen.

So no, this wouldnt lead to a better world i think.
legendary
Activity: 1512
March 25, 2015, 07:56:04 AM
takes a pilot to teach a pilot. don't know if they have an actual aircraft, tho.

But who has taught the initial pilot then?

Instructor+flying simulator and experience on the real one.

Most mercenary pilots are former members of regular armies. E.g in Mali many of the pilots are Ukrainian mercenaries, in the Eritrean–Ethiopian War Russian mercenaries flown the planes on both sides (!), but you can find South Africans as well all across Africa.
Activity: 868
March 25, 2015, 07:53:36 AM
Hows about a decentralized army which instead of regular armies could protect their baker using the Darkleaks back-end code (www.darkleaks.com)?

People would pledge a small amount of bitcoin to claim a protection for an irregular army. This would ampute more power from governments who are illegitimate imao.

What do you think? Discuss.

Who do you employ because you will end up providing a basement kids monthly/yearly scam, because you are not finding a legit mercenary team on the Dark. If you could how could they be trusted?

They work for the highest bidder so what if someone comes along and offers more in cold hard cash than people would like to pay?

Also it won't be decentralized will it every army or group going has a chain of command so it could never work.

legendary
Activity: 1512
March 25, 2015, 07:47:23 AM
Such a decentralized army would extract all of your BTC and money first (at gunpoint) then they would move to the next city to carry on with them. Maybe they would side your enemy if that pays better. In the medieval Europe such things wasn't uncommon. Actually this is how the Swiss and later the Landsknecht mercenary industry started.

But I think a crowd funded army would be good for carving out some useful parts of failed third world states, or plundering others and establish a true bitcoin economy under the management of a CEO appointed by the shareholders Smiley.
copper member
Activity: 924
Merit: 1007
hee-ho.
March 25, 2015, 07:29:48 AM
takes a pilot to teach a pilot. don't know if they have an actual aircraft, tho.

Instructor+flying simulator and experience on the real one.
Activity: 420
March 25, 2015, 07:26:29 AM
OP is proposing a network of mercenaries who accepts bitcoin as payment. I think mercs prefer hard cash.

why would they like cash more than bitcoin?
Nearly everyone does, because they can spend it on useful things.

I'd bring Bitcoin adoption into this, but I can't be bothered. Tongue
Activity: 462
I can draw your avatar!
March 25, 2015, 07:20:17 AM

Activity: 298
March 25, 2015, 07:03:07 AM
decentralized army? Who will control such arm and what the purpose of this army?
I don't think there will have any decentralized army. Army should serve some country or people.

Yeah that's exaclty what I'm trying to figure out. My reflexion was about how to create a distributed autonomous army such as DAC, DAO using the block chain technology.

Also:

omg. so ppl who hoard btc at three digit prices will be able to command fuckin' armies! we can even command robot armies

I don't think so...

But maybe yes. I'm throwing this idea in the forum to discuss the possibilities and such. My thoughts are how to protect poor people from conflict using today's technologies.
Activity: 462
March 25, 2015, 06:50:06 AM
decentralized army? Who will control such arm and what the purpose of this army?
I don't think there will have any decentralized army. Army should serve some country or people.
March 25, 2015, 06:48:40 AM
Well when I mention "decentralized army" I don't mean just the soldier. I'm talking about the whole stuff from equipment to vehicle, submarine and so on.

Maybe there's a better way to protect people from war than imitating the obsolete current system using bitcoin.
copper member
hee-ho.
March 25, 2015, 06:42:44 AM
Was about to say this as well. The term is mercenary.

I don't like this shortcut. I'm talking about a real irregular army. A crowdfunded army by people: giving the people the same power as governments.

By example the people from Homs (Syria) could create a decentralized army to protect themselves from Bachar's army and ISIS.

mercenaries are paid armies that have no butt into others war. no matter who or how many people are funding them, if they are paid to go to war that's not theirs, they're called mercenaries.

I don't know what to call an army of citizen that's crowd funded by their own people tho..

do correct me if I'm wrong, however

Can mercenaries drive aircraft, aircraft carrier and such?

hmm. I don't know.
but look what I found. http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2015/01/20/air-force-turning-to-supersonic-mercenaries.html

March 25, 2015, 06:35:34 AM

I don't like this shortcut. I'm talking about a real irregular army. A crowdfunded army by people: giving the people the same power as governments.

By example the people from Homs (Syria) could create a decentralized army to protect themselves from Bachar's army and ISIS.

mercenaries are paid armies that have no butt into others war. no matter who or how many people are funding them, if they are paid to go to war that's not theirs, they're called mercenaries.

I don't know what to call an army of citizen that's crowd funded by their own people tho..

Can mercenaries drive aircraft, aircraft carrier and such?
March 25, 2015, 06:32:22 AM
omg. so ppl who hoard btc at three digit prices will be able to command fuckin' armies! we can even command robot armies

I don't think so...

But maybe yes. I'm throwing this idea in the forum to discuss the possibilities and such. My thoughts are how to protect poor people from conflict using today's technologies.
copper member
hee-ho.
March 25, 2015, 06:29:26 AM

Activity: 392
March 25, 2015, 06:23:49 AM
Pages:
Jump to: