Author

Topic: delete - page 116. (Read 165521 times)

legendary
Activity: 1638
Merit: 1001
September 21, 2014, 03:03:03 PM
I let myself to uncover a little anonymint's research that we was privately discussed this evening: imo it's not critical, it's not about stealing money and it's not coin killer. it's about anonymity that could be compromised on very rare situations(with some specific conditions) and untypical for current transactions distribution(if could call it so).

BBR apparently thinks anonymity is not important because most txs don't use it?

Fracturedmind, you are surrounded by disrespect and enemies.  What more could you ask?
legendary
Activity: 1596
Merit: 1030
Sine secretum non libertas
September 21, 2014, 03:02:57 PM
I see 51% as being very attainable here based on the pool info.  Where am I messing up at?

The probability of failure at each step accumulates multiplicatively.  Half the hash doesn't mean you are half as likely to succeed.  It means you are exponentially less likely to succeed.
Activity: 644
Merit: 502
September 21, 2014, 03:02:33 PM
Where am I messing up at?

In your math, maybe?
 Huh

my maths may be way off

Yes, & the pope may wear a funny hat.

maybe I'm missing some 0's somewhere in the h/s - kh/s - mh/s comparison?

Gee, ya think? Roll Eyes

Just fire up your ASIC farm, d00d! Totes wipe out the network, brah!
Activity: 426
Merit: 256
September 21, 2014, 03:02:15 PM
You expect to achieve a useful mathematical discussion in a troll thread?  It's pure drama here.  Seriously, get a grip.

Last time I'm going to say it. If you expect real discussions open your own forum, period.
legendary
September 21, 2014, 03:00:18 PM
And now we have 3 equations with 3 variables with one employing multiplication 'bxG' and another subtraction 'qs - csx'. Let's think about how subtraction and multiplication interact in the simultaneous solution space and see if it doesn't narrow the solution space.

You expect to achieve a useful mathematical discussion in a troll thread?  It's pure drama here.  Seriously, get a grip.  You'd have so much less stress -- and probably improve your immune system health as a result -- if you didn't waste your energy on trolls anyhow.
Activity: 42
Merit: 0
September 21, 2014, 02:59:07 PM
I let myself to uncover a little anonymint's research that we was privately discussed this evening: imo it's not critical, it's not about stealing money and it's not coin killer. it's about anonymity that could be compromised on very rare situations(with some specific conditions) and untypical for current transactions distribution(if could call it so).

BBR apparently thinks anonymity is not important because most txs don't use it?
Activity: 11
September 21, 2014, 02:59:00 PM
Maybe he's just planning a 51% attack and the "fatal flaw" is just a distraction?  Knowing BCX has at least 500BTC to expend on this if he wants ... it seems greater than 4 - 8% to me.

The probability of a 51% attack with the numbers you have mooted is vanishing.  Effectively zero.  The probability of a time-warp is miniscule, but meaningful.  Less than 4% certainly.
BUT:
1) he probably has more resources than you think, and
2) a marginally successful attack does not suffice to damage the ledger if it is deftly mitigated in the event.

my maths may be way off.  if maybe I'm missing some 0's somewhere in the h/s - kh/s - mh/s comparison?

I see 51% as being very attainable here based on the pool info.  Where am I messing up at?
legendary
September 21, 2014, 02:57:03 PM
Maybe he's just planning a 51% attack and the "fatal flaw" is just a distraction?  Knowing BCX has at least 500BTC to expend on this if he wants ... it seems greater than 4 - 8% to me.

The probability of a 51% attack with the numbers you have mooted is vanishing.  Effectively zero.  The probability of a time-warp is miniscule, but meaningful.  Less than 4% certainly.
BUT:
1) he probably has more resources than you think, and
2) a marginally successful attack does not suffice to damage the ledger if it is deftly mitigated in the event.
Activity: 42
September 21, 2014, 02:53:29 PM
Your mathematicians didn't address that rs = qs - csx mod l is also known, where qs is unknown.
qs is unknown (and random) which makes the above equation more or less useless for solving for x, this will be addressed in a later memo.

So sure are we. Subtraction may play differently in modular arithematic. I will wait to see what your memo says.

A single modular linear equation with two unknowns can't be solved. You can't argue or troll with that, it's maths.

So I take it you know fuck all about number theory.

So I take it you know fuck all every mathematical relationship in the universe known and to be found.

And now we have 3 equations with 3 variables with one employing multiplication 'bxG' and another subtraction 'qs - csx'. Let's think about how subtraction and multiplication interact in the simultaneous solution space and see if it doesn't narrow the solution space.
Activity: 665
Merit: 500
September 21, 2014, 02:53:17 PM
MEW - Monero Economy Workgroup communication

A taskforce is set up to address the issue of a possible "BCX exploit", and an ultimatum by BCX to find and fix it in 72 hours lest a serious attack is launched upon Monero.

The taskforce consists of several Monero developers, AnonyMint, CZ, jl777 and me.

There are differing opinions in the taskforce concerning the severity of the threat. No coinkiller is yet found and several avenues are probed. The members who have technical competence are talking about their views themselves.

Regardless of the outcome in the technical side, this is a serious economic attack on Monero - about 15% of the pre-ultimatum value is lost, and there is a great information asymmetry plaguing traders currently. It is notable that nobody has offered to borrow XMR for shorting (which I could provide against full guarantee deposit of BTC). Neither has anyone bought the PUT options. This means that the downside speculation has so far been limited to selling out from a trader's own stash. An economically motivated player who knows for sure about a lethal attack might decide to take leverage for personal gain.

I believe that the Monero devs are up to their task and can mitigate the potential exploit, and fix the code in preparation of the announced attack. I further believe that Monero will rise even stronger. Since I am not in possession of any knowledge that indicates that a realistic attack could take place, I can only estimate the probability that it exists unnoticed, and my estimate is 4-8%.

The MEW will be inaugurated on Tuesday, and also the devteam has important announcements (not related to the attack). Provided that our coin still exists, I am sure we have a great future ahead of us as a community with these new methods of organizing our activities for the mutual benefit.

This was the kind of response I was waiting for from the developers. I guess rpietila takes on the role as the CEO which kind of makes sense.
Activity: 11
September 21, 2014, 02:50:37 PM

A taskforce is set up to address the issue of a possible "BCX exploit", and an ultimatum by BCX to find and fix it in 72 hours lest a serious attack is launched upon Monero.

The taskforce consists of several Monero developers, AnonyMint, CZ, jl777 and me.

There are differing opinions in the taskforce concerning the severity of the threat. No coinkiller is yet found and several avenues are probed. The members who have technical competence are talking about their views themselves.

Regardless of the outcome in the technical side, this is a serious economic attack on Monero - about 15% of the pre-ultimatum value is lost, and there is a great information asymmetry plaguing traders currently. It is notable that nobody has offered to borrow XMR for shorting (which I could provide against full guarantee deposit of BTC). Neither has anyone bought the PUT options. This means that the downside speculation has so far been limited to selling out from a trader's own stash. An economically motivated player who knows for sure about a lethal attack might decide to take leverage for personal gain.

I believe that the Monero devs are up to their task and can mitigate the potential exploit, and fix the code in preparation of the announced attack. I further believe that Monero will rise even stronger. Since I am not in possession of any knowledge that indicates that a realistic attack could take place, I can only estimate the probability that it exists unnoticed, and my estimate is 4-8%.

The MEW will be inaugurated on Tuesday, and also the devteam has important announcements (not related to the attack). Provided that our coin still exists, I am sure we have a great future ahead of us as a community with these new methods of organizing our activities for the mutual benefit.

Any input from MEW on this?  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=791366.0

legendary
September 21, 2014, 02:42:56 PM
Your mathematicians didn't address that rs = qs - csx mod l is also known, where qs is unknown.
qs is unknown (and random) which makes the above equation more or less useless for solving for x, this will be addressed in a later memo.

So sure are we. Subtraction may play differently in modular arithematic. I will wait to see what your memo says.

A single modular linear equation with two unknowns can't be solved. You can't argue or troll with that, it's maths.

Does it need to be solved fully, if the number of possible answers can be reduced enough so you can brute-force the answer?

That can only be true to the degree that qs is non-random:  You can't tell where the probability mass has been shifted unless you know qs.  If it is not observable, it is not informative.
legendary
Activity: 2268
Merit: 1141
September 21, 2014, 02:42:21 PM

My compliments on this, it's nice to see everyone working together afterall. It's the best thing to do for CN in general
Activity: 966
Merit: 1003
September 21, 2014, 02:40:01 PM

Does it need to be solved fully, if the number of possible answers can be reduced enough so you can brute-force the answer?
donator
Activity: 1722
Merit: 1036
September 21, 2014, 02:36:43 PM

Activity: 182
Merit: 100
September 21, 2014, 02:29:04 PM
The amount of lies, manipulation, and trolling, is outstanding in this thread alone. On one corner you have the evil troll bigots like cryptomite, moneroman88, and their troll squad, on the other corner you have the monero/cryptonote supporters and devs, and in the middle you have anonymint/bcx.
Activity: 22
September 21, 2014, 02:23:58 PM
Now you got a guy who has taken down multiple coins, doing you a favor and  tell u he could break  monero if he wanted

Like when he said he was going to attack LTC and then didn't?
Activity: 378
Merit: 250
September 21, 2014, 02:21:25 PM
Analysis of simultaneous equations attack on CryptoNote

"...that implies that no such attack, as outlined above, is possible against CryptoNote protocol."

Sorry I know you know everything.

You can stop helping now, it's clear your hard work is no longer needed.
Activity: 109
Merit: 10
September 21, 2014, 02:20:44 PM

I figure I've got a couple of days to learn how and set something up.

I've never mined a damn thing...don't know anything about it.  Can I mine CPU?  Can I use Amazon ec2?  How to set that up?  I will find some reading on it tomorrow night, but if anybody can point me to shortcuts, PM me or post here.

My experience, best XMR GPU miner is
Claymore's CryptoNote GPU Miner v7.0
. 5% mining fee but fastest optimization for my AMD cards.

Best CPU miner is Yam's M7v miner

Yam's is 1% mining fee and tailored to CPU type. You will need to know your CPU micro-architecture so that you can download the proper Yam build for your CPU.  He also has a good generic build for Non AES_NI CPU's but it is a bit slower as are ALL non AES_NI miners.  See  http://www.cpu-world.com/ to reference your CPU micro-architecture.

Yam's was a little faster than wolf's to begin with, but after enabling "hugepage capability it really took off.

Wait what?
Nowadays you have to pay fee for using a mining software? Wow!
legendary
Activity: 1344
Merit: 1001
September 21, 2014, 02:19:56 PM

Jump to: