Pages:
Author

Topic: Describe the blockchain in one sentence - page 6. (Read 4478 times)

legendary
Activity: 924
Merit: 1002
April 12, 2015, 11:54:26 AM
My understanding of blockchain:
Ledger which store all of Bitcoin transactions, which is open and free to everyone all the time just with access to the Internet.
Activity: 210
Merit: 100
Invest & Earn: https://cloudthink.io
April 11, 2015, 06:34:32 PM
I get asked alot about bitcoin and how the blockchain works by friends and family who are interested and I can never give a straight answer.

What do you guys tell your friends and how would you describe the blockchain in one sentence/paragraph?

Tom

Bitcoin infrastructure?
Activity: 672
Merit: 503
April 11, 2015, 04:35:02 PM
An impenetrable bunker open to anyone that wants to freely trade in the middle of the financial doomsday.
legendary
Activity: 812
Merit: 1000
April 11, 2015, 02:11:48 PM
I get asked alot about bitcoin and how the blockchain works by friends and family who are interested and I can never give a straight answer.

What do you guys tell your friends and how would you describe the blockchain in one sentence/paragraph?

Tom

A transparent secure network which allows trade without the need for government or central bank.
legendary
Activity: 1778
Merit: 1043
#Free market
April 11, 2015, 01:22:14 PM
The best and simple online wallet that I've ever meet.
I have been use it for a year without any problem.
The title "asking" Describe the blockchain in one sentence , not the web wallet blockchain.info (aks BC.info). I have seen a lot of people are confusing the word blockchain (block chain) with that webwallet (not real good, but this is my personal opinion).
They often do. That's why the online wallet should have been named differently. It is actually not good nor are any online wallets.

I'd say it is a transparent and secure public ledger.
There are opinions claiming that block chain is not secure as we may think, and in fact is quite vulnerable to attacks. You may want to check that here: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/kaspersky-and-interpol-say-blockchain-is-vulnerable-1021233

As for me: Blockchain is just database of all bitcoin transactions.

Yes of course but do you know that you can save data (img, txt file, etc..) on a blockchain using the OP_return? So it is not only a database for save bitcoin transaction, but it is more than that thing Wink. The usage of blockchain in the next few years will improve...
legendary
Activity: 1890
Merit: 1086
Ian Knowles - CIYAM Lead Developer
April 11, 2015, 01:13:39 PM
There are opinions claiming that block chain is not secure as we may think, and in fact is quite vulnerable to attacks. You may want to check that here: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/kaspersky-and-interpol-say-blockchain-is-vulnerable-1021233

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.11055777
legendary
Activity: 1288
April 11, 2015, 01:06:24 PM
The title "asking" Describe the blockchain in one sentence , not the web wallet blockchain.info (aks BC.info). I have seen a lot of people are confusing the word blockchain (block chain) with that webwallet (not real good, but this is my personal opinion).
They often do. That's why the online wallet should have been named differently. It is actually not good nor are any online wallets.

As for me: Blockchain is just database of all bitcoin transactions.
legendary
Activity: 1610
Merit: 1183
April 11, 2015, 01:00:24 PM
The ultimate dream for transaction of value.
legendary
Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965
Terminated.
April 11, 2015, 10:53:50 AM

Activity: 154
Merit: 100
April 11, 2015, 10:51:32 AM
secured network,public ledger
legendary
Activity: 1778
Merit: 1043
#Free market
April 11, 2015, 10:40:07 AM

legendary
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1001
April 11, 2015, 10:37:26 AM

copper member
Merit: 1007
hee-ho.
April 10, 2015, 01:52:03 AM
A database that anyone can use to see any bitcoin transaction.

that makes it easy for people to understand.
legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1019
April 10, 2015, 01:43:22 AM
Ponzi
legendary
Activity: 1344
April 10, 2015, 01:29:46 AM
I know there was one altcoin (was it Vericoin?)which had a lot of coins stolen from an exchange and the exchanges and miners got together and rolled back the blockchain so that the thief lost their coins.

Presumably that is possible with Bitcoin?

That would require collusion of everyone running a copy of the blockchain to suddenly switch to a new one AND for miners to actually mine on it. I don't see any conceivable way people would support a hard fork like that, look at the controversy over Gavin's idea to merely increase the block size as an example of how hard it is to convince people to make a single development change.

thats why some altcoins are worthless any altering of the blockchain is forbidden, whats needed is coinbase type insurance products to help protect from theft
donator
Activity: 1419
Merit: 1015
April 08, 2015, 10:57:31 AM
The solution of the epic bizantine general problem.

For people familiar with computer science and/or mathematics, I've actually used this as a description. We can say that the blockchain is a 6 year old experiment that verifies a proof-of-work chain is a sufficient solution to the Byzantine Generals' Problem.
legendary
Activity: 3290
Merit: 1128
April 08, 2015, 10:25:52 AM

Tom

It is a public ledger that records all the transactions of Bitcoin. It is public and keeps the movement of Bitcoin as transparent as possible.
Activity: 462
Merit: 250
I can draw your avatar!
April 08, 2015, 10:22:35 AM
The BTClockchain(tm), it puts the bank in YOUR pocket!   Cool
Merit: 1001
Unlimited Free Crypto
April 08, 2015, 08:32:41 AM
Decentralized secure consistent data storage
legendary
Activity: 3066
Merit: 1047
Your country may be your worst enemy
April 08, 2015, 08:27:35 AM
The cloud-based database which automatically records all BTC transactions and keeps them forever for everyone to see.

The idea of "automatic recording" is important to me, because sometimes, you wish you'd be able to make unrecorded transactions.
Pages:
Jump to: