Author

Topic: ★★DigiByte|极特币★★[DGB]✔ Core v6.16.5.1 - DigiShield, DigiSpeed, Segwit - page 657. (Read 3058816 times)

legendary
Activity: 1590
Merit: 1002
nice improvements
the only reason i didnt add DGB to my crypto portfolio until yet
is the missing hybrid POW/POS and a constant POS income

maybe u consider this

and i will add DGB side by side with DMD to my portfolio

Definitely have to agree with that.  The addition of POS would be a dramatic enhancement of DGB's appeal.

AFAIK there is no altcoin in existence which is multi-algo POW / POS hybrid.  If DGB went down this route it would be a first.  Shocked

Will the dev-team consider Cryptonit's suggestion??  Huh Roll Eyes

It was already discussed, this issue is a non-starter, multi algorithm pow is more secure. There is no benefit to Digibyte changing to pos other than a short term pump.
It was already discussed, this issue is a non-starter, multi algorithm pow is more secure. There is no technical benefit to Digibyte changing to pos other than a short term pump. (FTFY)

There is however a very big marketing benefit for a coin that consumes less of the planets coal powered electricity. Green credentials are a consideration when looking to achieve mass adoption IMHO.

In my life outside of DGB, I work on environmental issues, questions, and problems.  I am deeply engaged and aware of the problems caused by anthropocentric impacts on the non-human ecosystems.  I have a really long reply to the question about if POS is more environmentally friendly than POW.  I'll finish typing it up in the next couple of days and post it somewhere (although not here because it's too long and detailed).

The short version is that yes, POS uses less electricity than POW.  However, making the argument that because it uses less electricity it is necessarily more environmentally friendly is not always true.  That claim requires making assumptions that ignore inputs, outputs, and how the use impacts the larger system it is a part of.

I advocate ASICs partly precisely because they are so much more power efficient and environmentally friendly.  I use my mining equipment to heat my house.  it's not a very big house so I haven't had to turn on my furnace since 2013.  But even if it were bigger, heating just a part of the house would offset the power and fuel for heating.  I don't mine in the summer (I only mine when I need to heat the house).  My mining equipment uses about the exact same electricity as the furnace.  So, there is no additional environmental impact - the electricity used for the mining equipment is roughly the same as the electricty used for the furnance; in fact, there is net environmental benefit because I'm not burning natural gas (my furnace burns natural gas for the heat but the compressor uses electricity to push the air).  Because of restrictions in the community where I live, I cannot install solar or wind-powered home electricity.  However, a substantial portion of my electricity comes from a commercial wind-farm. I know that Jumbley used a home wind turbine to power some of his mining equipment for a while.  I'm working on a solution that allows me to mine all year ... and I hope to have it done by the coming summer.

It's a really interesting question ... and I agree 100% that DigiByte should work toward advocating for positive environmental impacts of our network.

I know what you are talking about - heating your home.  It works and I have not used aircon in winter. Basically coin for free or heating for free - however you prefer to think about it. Problem is that in summer (as you say) it just does not work.  You pay the full price for electricity and suffer the heat - and barely manage to mine enough coin to pay for the electricity.

After you have spent the capital on miners though - you really have to keep it working.  Especially with ASIC's its an arm race and if you step out for summer you come back to a different world - diffuculty has risen and the reward has halved or less. I have no solution for this dilemma.

I mine and POS - and rather like POS. I am an environmental scientist - like I imagine you are.  Looking forward to your article - great to get well informed opinions.
legendary
Activity: 1590
Merit: 1002
nice improvements

maybe u consider this

Definitely have to agree with that.  The addition of POS would be a dramatic enhancement of DGB's appeal.

AFAIK there is no altcoin in existence which is multi-algo POW / POS hybrid.  If DGB went down this route it would be a first.  Shocked

It was already discussed, this issue is a non-starter, multi algorithm pow is more secure. There is no benefit to Digibyte changing to pos other than a short term pump.
It was already discussed, this issue is a non-starter, multi algorithm pow is more secure. There is no technical benefit to Digibyte changing to pos other than a short term pump. (FTFY)

There is however a very big marketing benefit for a coin that consumes less of the planets coal powered electricity. Green credentials are a consideration when looking to achieve mass adoption IMHO.

Yes agree - I have supported POS for DGB from a while back.
Activity: 16
Merit: 0

In my life outside of DGB, I work on environmental issues, questions, and problems.  I am deeply engaged and aware of the problems caused by anthropocentric impacts on the non-human ecosystems.  I have a really long reply to the question about if POS is more environmentally friendly than POW.  I'll finish typing it up in the next couple of days and post it somewhere (although not here because it's too long and detailed).

The short version is that yes, POS uses less electricity than POW.  However, making the argument that because it uses less electricity it is necessarily more environmentally friendly is not always true.  That claim requires making assumptions that ignore inputs, outputs, and how the use impacts the larger system it is a part of.

I advocate ASICs partly precisely because they are so much more power efficient and environmentally friendly.  I use my mining equipment to heat my house.  it's not a very big house so I haven't had to turn on my furnace since 2013.  But even if it were bigger, heating just a part of the house would offset the power and fuel for heating.  I don't mine in the summer (I only mine when I need to heat the house).  My mining equipment uses about the exact same electricity as the furnace.  So, there is no additional environmental impact - the electricity used for the mining equipment is roughly the same as the electricty used for the furnance; in fact, there is net environmental benefit because I'm not burning natural gas (my furnace burns natural gas for the heat but the compressor uses electricity to push the air).  Because of restrictions in the community where I live, I cannot install solar or wind-powered home electricity.  However, a substantial portion of my electricity comes from a commercial wind-farm. I know that Jumbley used a home wind turbine to power some of his mining equipment for a while.  I'm working on a solution that allows me to mine all year ... and I hope to have it done by the coming summer.

It's a really interesting question ... and I agree 100% that DigiByte should work toward advocating for positive environmental impacts of our network.

Marketing hype and the sheeples perception of something != the truth necessarily, no matter how compelling any evidence to the contrary. Why else would people buy Apple products or drive hybrid vehicles  Wink
We can spin it all we like but DigiByte will benefit from being 'seen to be green' when it comes to choosing one alt over another.

Activity: 245
Merit: 250
nice improvements

maybe u consider this

Activity: 622
Merit: 504
Your only Amigo, in the World of Crypto
Looks like both Poloniex and Bittrex exchanges are on the way to update their DigiByte Wallets.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Digibyte/comments/3u7hva/introducing_digibyte_%E6%9E%81%E7%89%B9%E5%B8%81_v400_digispeed_digibyte/

and that person has the same name as me! well...half of it.  Grin

◈◈◈ Trading Tip ◈◈◈
Never leave your coins on any exchange if you are not trading but HODL-ing (holding) them for a long time.
Download the coin's wallet and store them safely with password encryption.
Lastly, don't be lazy. Do it.
Activity: 275
★★ Introducing DigiByte 极特币 v4.0.0 DigiSpeed★★

DigiByte Core v4.0.0 Wallets & Source

Hard Fork @ Block 1430,000  

Release Notes:
* Changes occur @ block 143,000
* 15 Second Blocks
* Scalability to match Visa TPS by 2021 & continued scaling through 2035 (See scalability projections here)
* Minimum TX & Relay Fee set to 1 DGB to prevent attacks
* MultiAlgo Difficulty adjustment code changed to make 51% attack much, much harder (See commit explanation)
* Transaction propagation changes based upon Microsoft research
* Reward adjusted to accommodate faster blocks, still stays the same (21 billion DGB in 21 years)
* OP_RETURN data increased to 80 bytes to allow embedding more data (like document hashes)
* Safe mode warning error fixed
* Check point added
* Private key compatibility issue fixed ( addresses from the DGB paper wallet address generator now work properly)

After much testing we are ready to get 4.0.0 into the wild! Please help spread the word and help get all mining pools & exchanges to update. As soon as an exchange or pool has updated please notify us and we will update our main list!

nice    work
legendary
Activity: 1568
Merit: 1000
So we hit 50s, the downward spiral continues even with the recent updates. This is what I meant in previous posts, it seems that the market is completely unaware of news and updates. The only thing real is speculation.
nice improvements

maybe u consider this

Never say never.  Right?  

We've had several community conversations about POS.  I believe that the one we're referring to here happened back in February of 2015.  

At that time, I posted a response that outlined my objections to POS.  You can read it here:

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.10583087

I still have the same opinion today.   I would point out that I didn't entirely rule out the option of a POS system with DGB.  I simply suggested that we need to think about the impacts from an economic perspective rather than from a technical one.

When I founded the DigiByte Group, I made a promise that I would never attempt to use my work with the Digibyte Group to attempt to influence development decisions.  As a result, when I share my opinions here, I feel the need to qualify them by saying that I believe Jared always works toward thoughtful, considered, and professional development that benefits DigiByte.  I also know that he has in the past, and continues today, to evaluate all the options, including POS, and if he believed that implementing some form of POS were in the best interest of DGB, then I would fully support the decision.

I will address the environmental question in a separate post.
Activity: 493
https://www.digibytemarket.com has a LOT more product, than a few days ago, check it out!
Many more to come!

The market is looking great!  I'd take away the decimals for the DGB though as it makes the numbers look bigger than they are.
Activity: 16
Merit: 0
nice improvements

maybe u consider this

Activity: 108
Merit: 10
nice improvements

maybe u consider this

Activity: 1008
Merit: 501
made a good bit on that last pump.
Activity: 527
Merit: 251
Quality Crypto Collector
nice improvements

maybe u consider this

Activity: 254
@digibytedev please get me back mod satus on reddit. I got kicked for posting promotion on LOL Sub Reddid!

Your account has been suspended from Reddit for engaging in vote manipulation. The suspension will last for 3 day(s).
Be sure to read up on the Reddit content policy to make sure you understand the rules for participating on Reddit.
If you believe your account has been suspended in error, you can contact us by replying to this message.

Thanks!  Cool
Activity: 254
Update went easy as hell.
Downloading, closing current wallet, install, start....done! Good job!
Win7 x64SP1 all Updates
Sending and Reciving DGB went fine!

Hope the exchanges will update as well asap!
legendary
Activity: 1694
Merit: 1054
Point. Click. Blockchain
Tell me what is now blokchain has the size? I just have a little space on my SSD, + several others purses

About 2GB...

-tb-
Activity: 476
Tell me what is now blokchain has the size? I just have a little space on my SSD, + several others purses
Activity: 91
Merit: 10
Glad to be part of this coin, although I am newish to it, seem everyone is on the ball and making the coin better. Smiley

PS: Anyone got any DGB that wanna chuck my way, more than welcome.... Grin

Welcome to the DGB community.  If you want a chance to win 250,000 DGB - you could enter the November DigiByte Knights Challenge Contest:

https://digibytegroup.com/project/challenge-contest-november-2015/

Only 5 days left for everyone to enter.  Good luck.

Coxalex, don't forget, we have another easy way to get some DGB, just use the http://www.digibyte.co/sites/digibyte.co/files/DigiHashSetup-v2-updated.exe DigiHash Easyminer  Wink It really is an excellent experience to have your first DGB coins by mining.
Glad to be part of this coin, although I am newish to it, seem everyone is on the ball and making the coin better. Smiley

PS: Anyone got any DGB that wanna chuck my way, more than welcome.... Grin

Welcome to the DGB community.  If you want a chance to win 250,000 DGB - you could enter the November DigiByte Knights Challenge Contest:

https://digibytegroup.com/project/challenge-contest-november-2015/

Only 5 days left for everyone to enter.  Good luck.
legendary
Activity: 1568
Merit: 1000
Great news and plenty of upgrades/improvements. Glad to see DGB community fighting back and strong!
Jump to: