Pages:
Author

Topic: Discussion: "Cybersecurity and Privacy" board + Poll (request v1) - page 2. (Read 3168 times)

legendary
Activity: 1638
Merit: 1036
6.25 ---> 3.125
Your vote: No
Have you read the OP of Discussion: "Cybersecurity and Privacy" board + Poll before posting?: Yes
What is your opinion on adding the board to BitcoinTalk?:
I see that if there is a board about cyberscurity then there will be discussions about hacking and it will likely analyze hacking so that people will know how to hack and how dangerous it is. I don't know about cyberscurity but if there is a chance that I will know how to hack or phish, at least maybe I will know what to learn to hack

While I can never tell if PytagoraZ is trolling or not (which makes him my favorite troll), there is actually a good point within this post.

Talking about security does lead to discussion about exploits, discussion about exploits might make the people curious for the wrong reasons (even though hacking is an elaborate skill in itself, and generally isn't something that you get an idea about and go and do).

We don't want to inspire hackers, but inspire patches, fixes and defence against hackers! I think this should be prevalent in the boards ruleset to help it flow through the board itself.

One rule that PytagoraZ has inspired me to think about is (very roughly) outlined below:
Code:
No instructions, hints or ideas on the topic of hacking, interrupting, infecting or disrupting a system unless it is a reverse engineering guide with a cybersecurity solution

What other ideas for rules do you all think we should discuss for the board if it were to be added? I am surprised we have not discussed this one yet!
legendary
Activity: 4102
Merit: 7765
'The right to privacy matters'
When I started BTC was worth  6 bucks back in 2012.

There were times I could mine 0.001 of the entire network in my garage.

Basically 21gh against a network of 21 th.

My power costs was 10kwatts an hour.

To mine 0.001 of the network today I would need 400ph that is 4000 s19 units burning 12000 kwatts an hour.

so the power cost to mine 0.001 of the network has increased 1000 fold

21 th to 400eh is 190000 fold the hash power..

This directly relates to security for the network.

also the cash value in 2012 was maybe 60 million

and the cash value now is 560 billion an increase of 9000 fold in value.

all of the above mean secure handling of your coins is a must.

I like DaveF idea of putting it as a head liner in bitcoins discussion .
Activity: 630
Merit: 195
This request should not go forgotten! We are at a state around the globe where governments and cyber security departments are struggling to protect citizens data (that they're not probably already selling to corporations within their nation anyway!)

What can we do?

Support the proposal.
- Vote here in the poll
- Make an official post in the unofficial community vote

I think there must be a separate board for emerging technologies like cyber security, Artificial intelligence, data sciences etc. Technologies will be kept emerging with time and there is not a specific place where we can ask or contribute about new emerging technologies.

Here is a small contribution from my side about a cyber security certification from ICS2. You can get training material and first attempt free of cost. After you clear exam you can  pay 50$ to claim your certificate.
CC - Certified in Cybersecurity by ICS2
legendary
6.25 ---> 3.125
This request should not go forgotten! We are at a state around the globe where governments and cyber security departments are struggling to protect citizens data (that they're not probably already selling to corporations within their nation anyway!)

What can we do?

Support the proposal.
- Vote here in the poll
- Make an official post in the unofficial community vote

Call to action

Have you casted a vote in the unofficial community vote for a cybersecurity and privacy board?

If you haven't, it is now very easy to cast a vote. All you need to do is state your position on the topic, and either quote a member who you agree with for your reasoning, or share your opinion!

Cast your vote here

I'm confused, why is there a community vote happening for this? Is this what theymos suggested? To me it seems completely unnecessary.

I don't understand the need for 80%+ consensus either. Either there will be enough users to use that board or not, and already 50+ people voted Yes for it with 90% support. To me it seems pretty simple. You either create the board or not and assign a mod to move the topic into it. Takes a few hours at most. I'm not criticising you for this, I appreciate the initial proposal, I'm simply questioning the long-winded process.

80%+ = appropriate consensus level.

Good question about the long winded process. The reason is that the more expression there is, the more input, the more grounds to add the board. The poll vote is great except it's too easy and simple to vote, it encourages herd mentality imo. An unofficial voting thread with nothing but reasoned votes has a lot more weight.
Activity: 714
Merit: 1010
Crypto Swap Exchange
I don't understand the need for 80%+ consensus either. Either there will be enough users to use that board or not, and already 50+ people voted Yes for it with 90% support. To me it seems pretty simple. You either create the board or not and assign a mod to move the topic into it. Takes a few hours at most. I'm not criticising you for this, I appreciate the initial proposal, I'm simply questioning the long-winded process.

What is the threshold of interested users for a board to be instantiated? I assume there're no fixed numbers. Are there clear rules? I don't think so, maybe except that you have to prove somehow the interest of users and benefit for the forum. I also quite understand the reluctance of the admins for such a request. On one hand you don't want to fragment the forum into meaningless little corners, on the other hand the forum is for the users, not for the admins.
legendary
Activity: 1652
Merit: 2177
Crypto Swap Exchange
Call to action

Have you casted a vote in the unofficial community vote for a cybersecurity and privacy board?

If you haven't, it is now very easy to cast a vote. All you need to do is state your position on the topic, and either quote a member who you agree with for your reasoning, or share your opinion!

Cast your vote here

I'm confused, why is there a community vote happening for this? Is this what theymos suggested? To me it seems completely unnecessary.

legendary
6.25 ---> 3.125
Call to action

Cast your vote here
legendary
6.25 ---> 3.125
Call to action

Cast your vote here
legendary
6.25 ---> 3.125
I voted yes, I consider cybersecurity an integral part of everything related to computers and the Internet, so it is natural that there is a section dedicated to security in the forum because we use computers, the Internet and mobile phones in all our dealings with Crypto.

Frankly, I was surprised, since I registered in the forum, why there is no section for security and protection, and I remember that I asked this question, but I did not receive a good answer.

Personally, I consider cybersecurity and privacy the most important part of my knowledge in Crypto, because if you do not learn how to protect your assets well, as well as how to maintain your privacy, you should leave the field better.

Too right. I am too surprised that there is no central discussion point for security and privacy. As you said, they are integral keys to safety on the computer, mobile device, internet and in the world of blockchain and cryptocurrency.

I hope all of the support and efforts eventually bring this board to life!

Thanks for opening this thread. I voted YES

I consider myself less techie when using the Bitcoin and related instruments. Such as software and hardware wallets. On top of that it is also risky when we are involved with the exchangers, trading on daily basis and that needs movement of crypto currencies from one wallet to the other. Above all, it is also increasing trend that we are using various mixers and it could get as risky as we use external resources to save our identity in the world of Bitcoin.

I think keeping ourselves informed all the time about various instruments mentioned above and not limited to them can help someone save their hard earned money.

In this section we can also discuss about other security threats that may or may not be directly involved with the Bitcoin alone. For all of the reasons mentioned here, I vote Yes.

Hey, great post. Thank you for the insight into your reasoning, I fully agree with you! We all appreciate the vote in the poll, though do be sure to also look at the community vote!
Activity: 1092
Merit: 227
Thanks for opening this thread. I voted YES

I consider myself less techie when using the Bitcoin and related instruments. Such as software and hardware wallets. On top of that it is also risky when we are involved with the exchangers, trading on daily basis and that needs movement of crypto currencies from one wallet to the other. Above all, it is also increasing trend that we are using various mixers and it could get as risky as we use external resources to save our identity in the world of Bitcoin.

I think keeping ourselves informed all the time about various instruments mentioned above and not limited to them can help someone save their hard earned money.

In this section we can also discuss about other security threats that may or may not be directly involved with the Bitcoin alone. For all of the reasons mentioned here, I vote Yes.
legendary
Activity: 1680
Merit: 1853
#SWGT CERTIK Audited
I voted yes, I consider cybersecurity an integral part of everything related to computers and the Internet, so it is natural that there is a section dedicated to security in the forum because we use computers, the Internet and mobile phones in all our dealings with Crypto.

Frankly, I was surprised, since I registered in the forum, why there is no section for security and protection, and I remember that I asked this question, but I did not receive a good answer.

Personally, I consider cybersecurity and privacy the most important part of my knowledge in Crypto, because if you do not learn how to protect your assets well, as well as how to maintain your privacy, you should leave the field better.
legendary
6.25 ---> 3.125
For those interested in a community vote withing a structure thread, see Community Vote: Add "Cybersecurity & Privacy" board to Bitcointalk.

This should strengthen the chances of what is being requested being understood quickly, and gaining more official votes from members.

In the meantime, a nice stat to see 7 months on from the initial request:

As of this post, "request v1" poll achieved 90.7% consensus in agreement that the board should be added.

I think we should be proud of that as cybersecurity & privacy advocates! The request v1 poll will remain open, no need to close it. More votes are still welcomed.
Activity: 882
Merit: 5818
not your keys, not your coins!
I could google this stuff right?.. I have no idea if what I research is legit info or a well designed ad or some idiots blog that does a good job at boosting themselves on google searches…But I know forum members like Loyce (for example) are knowledgeable Mr Robot types often willing to  help others like myself.  
It is generally advisable to do your own research at first and ask concrete questions after some base knowledge has been acquired.

Somewhat according to the StackOverflow 'How to Ask' guidelines.

For instance, you could search with a web search engine (like Startpage or DuckDuckGo - while we're on the subject of cybersecurity / privacy related recommendations) at first, try to understand whether any recommendations found there are plausible, and if there is still uncertainty, post your question in a forum.

It helps dramatically to help someone who already has a base understanding of their problem.

questions in this realm (when is it okay to accept cookies, what browser is best for what, how to more efficiently search for connected websites, is it okay to use my phone for this or that or should I be on a secured PC  etc etc).
But yes; collecting information like this in the context of Bitcoin was one of the core ideas for this board.
legendary
6.25 ---> 3.125
I was looking for such a board here just yesterday. I constantly have these types of questions, often involving btc stuff , and so rarely does it fall under GMax’s & Achow’s tech boards.  Neither have the time to discuss my simpleton questions anyhow I’m sure.

Someone like yourself is exactly who we'd aim to help, with replying to topics including questions and by creating topics which answer the questions to begin with. Unfortunately right now, there is no place to discuss centrally which is why we are hoping for the board to be added. I do welcome you to PM me any questions though and I will answer in my spare time as best as I can.

I do a lot of research stuff on scams that’s for the community here (mainly collectible related) , but Im constantly running in to questions in this realm (when is it okay to accept cookies, what browser is best for what, how to more efficiently search for connected websites, is it okay to use my phone for this or that or should I be on a secured PC  etc etc).  
No javascript, blocking third party cookies & clearing all cookies automatically after each session, using private search engines (like duckduckgo and startpage), and using Tor are some quick tips to help for this purpose. Desktops are more secure than phones by default. How secure you need to be really depends on your threat level (who are you protecting yourself from?)

I could google this stuff right?.. I have no idea if what I research is legit info or a well designed ad or some idiots blog that does a good job at boosting themselves on google searches…But I know forum members like Loyce (for example) are knowledgeable Mr Robot types often willing to  help others like myself.
You can...though it's kind of counter-intuitive, especially if you are using google. Private search engines are a lot better. A board here would save you a monumental amount of time though.
legendary
Activity: 2240
Merit: 3002
I was looking for such a board here just yesterday. I constantly have these types of questions, often involving btc stuff , and so rarely does it fall under GMax’s & Achow’s tech boards.  Neither have the time to discuss my simpleton questions anyhow I’m sure.

I do a lot of research stuff on scams that’s for the community here (mainly collectible related) , but Im constantly running in to questions in this realm (when is it okay to accept cookies, what browser is best for what, how to more efficiently search for connected websites, is it okay to use my phone for this or that or should I be on a secured PC  etc etc).  

legendary
Activity: 1568
Merit: 6660
bitcoincleanup.com / bitmixlist.org
Activity: 714
Merit: 1010
Crypto Swap Exchange
I voted in favor of the creation of the proposed board as a place for newbies and experts to share good practices for security and privacy. New users are likely not patient enough to thoroughly search the forum or maybe are simply too lazy for it. There is a lot of valuable information all over the forum, but it is nicer to have the request's addressed topics more or less in one place.

I support this request!
legendary
Activity: 1568
Merit: 6660
bitcoincleanup.com / bitmixlist.org
Timely reminder that a Privacy and Security board would be a very useful addition to the Bitcointalk forum.
legendary
6.25 ---> 3.125
Guys, our proposal is probably going to be denied if we turn this topic to a cybersecurity and privacy mega-thread.  Tongue

If we turn this thread into a cybersecurity & privacy mega-thread, I would be almost certain that the replies would extend over 1000 quite quickly Tongue I agree with you that we should save the discussion for when the board is added, though it is good to see that there are members who are eager to have the discussion. It only validates further that we need this board!.
legendary
Activity: 1344
Merit: 6415
Farewell, Leo
Guys, our proposal is probably going to be denied if we turn this topic to a cybersecurity and privacy mega-thread.  Tongue

I am one who could not switch back to windows. The main reason I have already mentioned i.e. you can use Ubuntu for years without installing AV or any fear of getting infected with Viruses.
To me the main reason is privacy. Microsoft is known to not share the same ethics as I do. I think now in Windows 11, you're being surveilled even in the last corner of your filesystem. That, and the fact that in comparison with stable linux distributions it's worse security-wise, it is enough for me to avoid it.

I have been using Linux solely as computer OS for over a year, and I now more find it less complicated than Windows. It's all about what you're used to.
Pages:
Jump to: