Pages:
Author

Topic: do i have to pay tax on bitcoins ? - page 15. (Read 27964 times)

Activity: 169
Merit: 102
May 08, 2017, 07:25:33 PM
so i wanna know do i realy have to pay taxes on bitcoins and does my gov recognize bitcoins as my property and do i have to care about any legal action by  gov on my bitcoin property ?
If in your country bitcoin is a legal currency and it is used on the state level even by the state entity and it has a place in your law then it is sure that it will also have a tax on you while if your government do not have approved it as legal for the state then they are not bound to impose tax on you.
legendary
Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147
The revolution will be monetized!
May 08, 2017, 12:25:15 PM
  • Bitcoin miners must report receipt of the virtual currency as income

That makes me wonder about the profitability of mining? So if I mine one coin with a value of $1600, I would owe about 1/3 as income. Leaving me with about $1066. That is without factoring in mining costs. Of course I could hold until the price is higher, but I may have to give up 10% of that growth in cap gains.  Brutal.  Cheesy

Not exactly.  For mining you add up all the coins you mine and price them at the time you mine them.   That is your gross income from mining.  Then you deduct all expenses related to the mining: electricity, supplies, etc.  You can also deduct the allowed depreciation on all equipment: miners, air conditioners, etc.  Subtract all allowed expenses from the gross income.  This is the net income.  You pay the tax on that.
Ah thanks Burt, that makes sense.
P.S. I'm a Wagner also! We are probably distantly related.
legendary
Activity: 2646
Merit: 1137
All paid signature campaigns should be banned.
May 08, 2017, 12:11:55 PM

That makes me wonder about the profitability of mining? So if I mine one coin with a value of $1600, I would owe about 1/3 as income. Leaving me with about $1066. That is without factoring in mining costs. Of course I could hold until the price is higher, but I may have to give up 10% of that growth in cap gains.  Brutal.  Cheesy

Not exactly.  For mining you add up all the coins you mine and price them at the time you mine them.   That is your gross income from mining.  Then you deduct all expenses related to the mining: electricity, supplies, etc.  You can also deduct the allowed depreciation on all equipment: miners, air conditioners, etc.  Subtract all allowed expenses from the gross income.  This is the net income.  You pay the tax on that.
legendary
Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147
The revolution will be monetized!
May 08, 2017, 09:45:59 AM

Activity: 700
Merit: 250
May 08, 2017, 07:34:58 AM
    I have read such tips that take place in the US:

• Wages paid in virtual currency are subject to withholding to the same extent as dollar wages.
  • Self-mployed individuals with Bitcoin gains or losses from sales transactions also must convert the virtual currency to dollars as of the day earned, and report the figures on their tax returns

I only know that in third party countries bitcoin has no specific legal status, so do not think about it, if you are not US citizen.[/list]
Activity: 644
Merit: 500
Transact Safer / Chase Better
May 08, 2017, 05:28:39 AM
Right now in many countries, bitcoin is not taxable because still, governments are still in confusion whether to declare it as legal currency or not.
But people who are making through bitcoin and converting them into fiat are paying taxes to the government.
legendary
Activity: 3248
Merit: 1070
May 08, 2017, 01:54:06 AM
NO!

Bitcoin is according to the law a commodity and not a currency.
Therefore it is taxed like any other stock/bond/commodity:  it is subject to the capital gains taxes (in the US).

the difference is that stock and other are heavily controlled, and you are forced to claim your income, i mean any forex platform require ID, so they know everythign about your movement

but with bitcoin i can do trade in decentralized way if possible, like with bitsquare/bitshares, with bitcoin there is a high chance that you can evade your claiming and they will never know

not to mention all the altcoin that i'm sure can be traded directly with fiat if possible, in real life, i mean i want to met someone and sell him 100k "shittycoin" and he pay me in fiat

we can do this chilling at my home or his home, there is no way that someone will know about this...
legendary
May 07, 2017, 06:56:36 PM
in carribean bitcoin is not taxable, most ppl does not even know nothing about Bitcoin.
i do not think that in any area the government is collecting tax on bitcoin, in fact there is no tax on bitcoin right now. but i think the government may be thinking about that, but first they have to consider bitcoin as legal currency and only then they can put tax on bitcoin. as government cannot put tax on illegal items.
More signature spam total bullshit.  You are wrong.  You could not be more wrong if you tried.
Activity: 490
Merit: 500
May 07, 2017, 05:55:16 PM
in carribean bitcoin is not taxable, most ppl does not even know nothing about Bitcoin.
i do not think that in any area the government is collecting tax on bitcoin, in fact there is no tax on bitcoin right now. but i think the government may be thinking about that, but first they have to consider bitcoin as legal currency and only then they can put tax on bitcoin. as government cannot put tax on illegal items.
legendary
May 06, 2017, 02:21:44 PM
NO!

Therefore it is taxed like any other stock/bond/commodity:  it is subject to the capital gains taxes (in the US).
Activity: 434
Merit: 251
physics, mathematics and engineering
May 06, 2017, 02:18:28 PM
NO!

legendary
May 05, 2017, 08:03:50 PM
I'm sure not. Because bitcoin is not controlled by any state or international financial institution. Bitcoin belongs to everyone in this world.
This does not matter one bit (in the US).
Activity: 1218
Merit: 254
Trphy.io
May 05, 2017, 03:28:52 PM
I'm sure not. Because bitcoin is not controlled by any state or international financial institution. Bitcoin belongs to everyone in this world.
Activity: 230
Merit: 100
May 02, 2017, 08:52:05 AM

There is no tax in bitcoin only the fee for transaction that you should pay for every transaction..  but there is online wallet site that you dont need to pay for fees for every transaction like coinbase.
what site is that ? i would like to know., thanks

There is no tax, that is why government pursue or passes laws to  regulate it, in that case the government can get fees in the form of regulating fees, licensed to operate as an exchange etc
legendary
May 02, 2017, 08:27:57 AM
There is no tax in bitcoin only the fee for transaction that you should pay for every transaction..  but there is online wallet site that you dont need to pay for fees for every transaction like coinbase.

I think what they are saying is that if you have your Bitcoins in a deposit account - you do not have the private keys and you have lent your bitcoins to the web site - and you send them to someone who is also a deposit account holder at the same site, then there would be no transaction fee.  This is because the web site owns all the bitcoins you have on deposit there and they can just move them to someone else's account without doing an actual transaction on the block chain.  They just do a database change that deducts the bitcoins from your account and puts them in the other person's account.

There would be no transaction fee since there is no actual Bitcoin transaction on the block chain.

However, you do not own the Bitcoins and you do not control the private key when you have lent your Bitcoins to a "bank" like this.

Coinbase is an example of a deposit account rather than a Bitcoin wallet.

The part that says there is no tax is total bullshit (in the US).
Activity: 434
Merit: 270
May 02, 2017, 02:31:56 AM
There is no tax in bitcoin only the fee for transaction that you should pay for every transaction..  but there is online wallet site that you dont need to pay for fees for every transaction like coinbase.

legendary
Activity: 1862
Merit: 1505
April 19, 2017, 05:32:43 PM
At least right now, you can escape from taxes. But I'm pretty much predicting that this won't last longer in many 1st-class countries.

But right now, that's the beauty of bitcoin, you don't have to pay taxes! Tongue
legendary
Activity: 2296
Merit: 1335
Don't let others control your BTC -> self custody
April 19, 2017, 11:55:12 AM
That's one of the advantages of using bit coins, no tax, you can use it in almost everything.
Well, depending on where you live, that “no tax” can become “tax evasion” and get you into a lot of trouble. You should really look into your local laws.
An interesting feature of bitcoin is that it's very difficult to prove when they were acquired. This means that if he buys the coins today and spends them in a store, he doesn't have to pay income tax, because he didn't gain anything, but the situation doesn't change much if he buys it a month before and the value rises by $200. Technically, he'll have more and should pay tax from this profit, but in reality he could say he bought it yesterday. I'm sure in future tax offices will have special groups dedicated to tracking blockchain activity, but for now it's pretty much Wild West.
Activity: 1736
Merit: 731
Catalog Websites
April 18, 2017, 04:49:33 AM
Well, I think the use of bitcoin, we do not require the payment of taxes, since no control bitcoin. who need you noticed that chunks in sending bitcoin, because only the payment to be paid  Grin
Activity: 504
Merit: 250
April 18, 2017, 12:37:54 PM
That's one of the advantages of using bit coins, no tax, you can use it in almost everything.
Well, depending on where you live, that “no tax” can become “tax evasion” and get you into a lot of trouble. You should really look into your local laws.
Pages:
Jump to: