Pages:
Author

Topic: Do NOT declare that you have ever owned bitcoins - page 3. (Read 6538 times)

Activity: 13
Merit: 0

The biggest problem governments will have with bitcoin is the anonymity involved in transactions. They will point to money laundering and criminals using it as an untraceable  medium of wealth as the reason to shut it down. Without that they won't have leg to stand on in a court of law. You'd think there aren't any real money laundering operations to warrant gov scrutiny.

People should pay taxes on bitcoins. It's probably the only thing that can prevent a complete shutdown.
I suppose it's not real
paying transactions on btc means all governmental transactions become transparent
they won't do this
legendary
Activity: 2142
Merit: 1009
lol worst advice ever is to say dont declare bitcoins. especially when the reasons of not declaring them is advice from a person that has not read the regulations, does not understand fincen and then goes on a power trip thinking they will cripple the world at some point.

major face palm.

i don't advise not declaring bitcoins. in as much as tins of baked beans. if the government ask how many you have.. just say what you have. so far governments are not asking. so there is nothing to worry or think about right now... but by lying for any reason if they ever do start asking can cost you alot more in the long run, instead of just telling the truth.

this is where exchanges go wrong, they dont read regulations, they don't follow the rules they lie when questioned.. and then everyone wonders why they get shut down

I believe my advice is a good one. I may be wrong.
legendary
Activity: 4270
Merit: 4534
lol worst advice ever is to say dont declare bitcoins. especially when the reasons of not declaring them is advice from a person that has not read the regulations, does not understand fincen and then goes on a power trip thinking they will cripple the world at some point.

major face palm.

i don't advise not declaring bitcoins. in as much as tins of baked beans. if the government ask how many you have.. just say what you have. so far governments are not asking. so there is nothing to worry or think about right now... but by lying for any reason if they ever do start asking can cost you alot more in the long run, instead of just telling the truth.

this is where exchanges go wrong, they dont read regulations, they don't follow the rules they lie when questioned.. and then everyone wonders why they get shut down
legendary
Activity: 4466
Merit: 3391
No one owns Bitcoins. Bitcoins are represented n the blockchain which is distributed free of charge to anyone willing to download it.

Some may claim ownership of private keys, however.
That is a valid point.
Whatever you say that you have bitcoins or not both can be truth in the same time from a different point of view.
However best if you don't say to the police both on the same day because you will confuse them.

It is not a valid point. It is the same as saying that no one owns dollars. You possess a private key that signifies ownership of the bitcoins it represents.
legendary
Activity: 1078
Merit: 1003
How can a nation tell who's using crypto currency? Isn't there a level of anonymity that will make it cumbersome trying to pinpoint who to tax?

Right now there is a debate about a law to make internet service give goverment information about what are people watching on internet.

Anyway, nobody wants this law, but it is been debated. Thought it was a democracy, am I wrong?

A democracy is just a front; really, you elect a few jerkoffs to decide how you live your life, and most of them are jerking each other off already.  If CISPA passes into law, there should be no doubt in anyone's mind that the government is actively working against its citizens (though many of us already know this to be the case), and I doubt people will put up with it for long.

You know the straw that broke the camel's back?  CISPA might be that straw.
Activity: 154
Merit: 100
How can a nation tell who's using crypto currency? Isn't there a level of anonymity that will make it cumbersome trying to pinpoint who to tax?

Right now there is a debate about a law to make internet service give goverment information about what are people watching on internet.

Anyway, nobody wants this law, but it is been debated. Thought it was a democracy, am I wrong?
Activity: 434
Merit: 250
However best if you don't say to the police both on the same day because you will confuse them.

Yeah, they get angry when they don't understand something.  Cheesy
Activity: 504
Merit: 500
No one owns Bitcoins. Bitcoins are represented n the blockchain which is distributed free of charge to anyone willing to download it.

That is a valid point.
Whatever you say that you have bitcoins or not both can be truth in the same time from a different point of view.
legendary
Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217
Yes but i dont really care. We can always change government. Dont forget about this too. And i hope they wont forget about this also. People are real power and nobody ever won with people.

U r lucky one. Most of ppl unable to change their government.

I said WE not me. And i understand that people THINK they cant change anything. But its false statement.

I hope you are not refering to voting, because then we are all doomed.

rofl i didnt even think about that, i just assumed he meant moving away. But now that you point it out, im sure thats exactly what he meant. Roll Eyes
legendary
Do no fear your government.  Your government should be pissing their pants with the thought of you.

Maybe should, but they surely don't.

Means it's time for a revolution Grin  They really don't fear us anymore.  We need to remind them why they should.
legendary
Do no fear your government.  Your government should be pissing their pants with the thought of you.

Maybe should, but they surely don't.
legendary
Activity: 55
Merit: 0

The biggest problem governments will have with bitcoin is the anonymity involved in transactions. They will point to money laundering and criminals using it as an untraceable  medium of wealth as the reason to shut it down. Without that they won't have leg to stand on in a court of law. You'd think there aren't any real money laundering operations to warrant gov scrutiny.

People should pay taxes on bitcoins. It's probably the only thing that can prevent a complete shutdown.

Lets be realistic, bitcoin is not really anonymous as the humans using it are leaving traces all over the place.
That was shown at  28c3 in 2011 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FaQNPCqG58  00:42:35
Activity: 815
Merit: 1000
Yes. That is why this news just makes me smile.

I'm looking forward to the failures, trials and salty tears of so many politicians in coming years.

Do you have any idea how long time, I have hated these ignorant lying bastards? Finally we get to f*ck them back.
legendary

Bitcoin is NOT anonymous. It's pseudonymous. If at some point u reveal ur name then ALL transactions can be tied to it. Even if u use "shared" wallets.

More info that proves that Bitcoin is not anonymous - http://spar.isi.jhu.edu/~mgreen/ZerocoinOakland.pdf.
legendary
Activity: 3640
Merit: 1571

All the information is public isn't it? All transactions are recorded in the blockchain which anyone can view. All governments have to do is develop a computer program to track those transactions and match them to individuals and businesses. If you've ever published a bitcoin address in public the govt. could use that information to track your transactions. It may not be able to get a complete picture but a partial one is definitely possible.
Activity: 602
Merit: 500
R.I.P Silk Road 1.0
Activity: 388
Merit: 250

The biggest problem governments will have with bitcoin is the anonymity involved in transactions. They will point to money laundering and criminals using it as an untraceable  medium of wealth as the reason to shut it down. Without that they won't have leg to stand on in a court of law. You'd think there aren't any real money laundering operations to warrant gov scrutiny.

Wasn't there a ruling by FinCen not too long ago stating something to the effect of declaring what is converted back to fiat for capital gains purposes, meaning it's semi-legit in the US?
Activity: 221
Merit: 100

legendary
Activity: 1148
Merit: 1001
Radix-The Decentralized Finance Protocol
Yes but i dont really care. We can always change government. Dont forget about this too. And i hope they wont forget about this also. People are real power and nobody ever won with people.

U r lucky one. Most of ppl unable to change their government.

I said WE not me. And i understand that people THINK they cant change anything. But its false statement.

I hope you are not refering to voting, because then we are all doomed.
Pages:
Jump to: