Pages:
Author

Topic: Do you support Bitcoin Forks? Why??? - page 5. (Read 1144 times)

legendary
Activity: 1806
Merit: 1521
October 29, 2017, 02:12:41 AM
the important thing is that everyone should remember that bitcoin is decentralized and MUST work with consensus. otherwise it will fail. and consensus means when you want to fork you get everyone on board before you fork it...

That's "consensus" from the perspective of language -- full agreement from each any every participant. That's what "consensus rules" are: those rules that each any every user consents to by virtue of opting into the network (running a node).

But that's basically impossible from a technical standpoint. Just by virtue of laziness/inertia/ignorance, there will always be those who don't upgrade. And beyond fixing blatant protocol flaws, you will always have those who oppose. That's why I'm of the opinion that Bitcoin technically can't ever be hard forked and still remain "Bitcoin." We would be moving to an altcoin if the fork were successful. And maybe that's okay... but I think we should be clear about what hard forks are. A hard fork = leaving the consensus to join a different one.
Activity: 1666
Merit: 502
October 29, 2017, 01:58:10 AM
I do not believe that the future forks of Bitcoin can generate any currency of value. They are just a tool to further strengthen the price of Bitcoin. However it ends up disrupting the market.
actually i do not support fork because it just produce another altcoin in this case is bitcoin gold. bitcoin holders also get benefit in this case that is given a bitcoin gold equivalent to bitcoin that we have 1:1 although we don't know the price of bitcoin gold.
Activity: 420
Merit: 106
October 29, 2017, 01:48:01 AM
I do not believe that the future forks of Bitcoin can generate any currency of value. They are just a tool to further strengthen the price of Bitcoin. However it ends up disrupting the market.

Why not support forks? Forks is important to bitcoin it will maintain the bitcoin stability in terms of fixing bugs and errors to a whole bitcoins there are types of bitcoin the hard forks and the soft forks. Hard forks are giving a bitcoin a big changes but soft forks is like replacing small parts of bitcoin. This will also identified in size of blocks.
Activity: 490
Merit: 10
October 29, 2017, 01:40:08 AM
Forks are important for the network; however I don't think they should be frequent. for any fork to happen there is some loss for the miners. forks should be as minimal as possible.
legendary
Activity: 1330
Merit: 1003
October 29, 2017, 01:34:17 AM
This question is irrelevant. Whether anyone supports them or not, they are always possible so there is no point to even asking this. Anyway, I am in full support of any cryptocurrency that improves on existing technology. While most ICOs are scams, the odd one does actually have a basis for existing and potential to disrupt the industry. From that perspective, I am all for Bitcoin or any other fork as long as it is an improvement of the current technology.
legendary
Activity: 3472
Merit: 10611
October 29, 2017, 12:58:04 AM
your question is so broad.

bitcoin fork is sometimes a necessity because it is the only way we can "upgrade" bitcoin or even possibly fix a bug. look at how P2SH was activated (the multisig feature). it was a bitcoin fork. or the most recent one called SegWit.

the important thing is that everyone should remember that bitcoin is decentralized and MUST work with consensus. otherwise it will fail. and consensus means when you want to fork you get everyone on board before you fork it...

now there is another thing called fork but that is creating an altcoin. in that regard there has already been 667 forks to create altcoins in the past using different methods and in the end they will be regarded as "free money".
Activity: 420
Merit: 110
October 29, 2017, 12:56:47 AM
Yes I do somewhat support forks if they are for the betterment of the bitcoin system like the segwit 2x which focuses on better transaction speed and more decentralized system. Dont know why people are not supporting it.
legendary
Activity: 1806
Merit: 1521
October 29, 2017, 12:49:08 AM

I think that this is an important process in hardening BTC as a currency against would-be attackers. This isn't the last contentious fork ahead of us; the corporate backers of Segwit2x want dozens or even hundreds of capacity upgrades much larger than 8MB. They are done testing the waters with things like Bitcoin Classic and are making their move now.

It's important that the community keeps its resolve, that users run their full nodes, and let it be known that the economic majority can't be hijacked by a few big companies and a majority of the hash rate. As long as the legacy chain emerges the winner here, I think you're right.
Activity: 142
Merit: 10
October 29, 2017, 12:14:04 AM
Pages:
Jump to: