Pages:
Author

Topic: Does anyone else feel like Bitcoin is a safe investment? - page 3. (Read 6769 times)

Activity: 434
Merit: 250
Bitcoin does fluctuate, but it's value is not as easily manipulated. I like how it won't be crushed in value due to hyperinflation like in other instances. It really has a good chance at a store of wealth and value. The altcoins will be used for purchase, and Bitcoin will be kept for investing long-term.
Activity: 70
Merit: 10
TheSlimShady
I dont think that there are any chance of the bitcoins to collapse within next 3 years. and well i guess bitcoin is pretty stable right now and its the right time to invest in btc, cause in the long run, bitcoins will touch the 1000 mark again.
Activity: 73
I guess you also need to take into account the usefulness of the investment. For instance if there are things you can easily buy with bitcoin or you can use it to remit currency then it has value beyond pure speculation. For instance I have been trying to buy a boutique tequila for bitcoin for some time with no luck. If we reach a situation where that is easy to do then bit coins value to me will increase regardless of the dollar value.
Activity: 249
I would count on bitcoins myself ,I'm ready to take the risks even though it's charts are zigzaging violently  but it worth investing in it
Activity: 336
The price is far below the value,so bitcoin is still a safe investment

How do you determine the value?
ivy
Activity: 63
The price is far below the value,so bitcoin is still a safe investment
Activity: 45
Merit: 0
it's not safe but profitable i think
Activity: 210
Merit: 100
1) You know the USA can't print any amount of USDs they want, that would enlarge the american huge trade deficit, cause depreciation of the USD, inflation and could affect the status of the USDs as the international currency. Therefore, buying oil with USDs means they can't buy so many BMWs from Germany or other goods. Since even to them the USDs is somehow scarce, buying with USDs or exchanging those USDs for euros to buy oil (everyone will accept the USDs gladly) doesn't change enough to justify war.

2) Bush son and Cheney were convinced that the easy oil to extract was ending and that an oil crisis was imminent (search Peak oil and Cheney), therefore having USDs or euros to pay for Iraqi oil wasn't enough assurance to have access to it.

I rest my case, feel free to think that the USA are willing to destroy their reputation and their citizens lives on a blatant invasion because of the currency an oil producer accepts to sell its oil. I won't return to this matter.

0.1 (History) The USD was backed, due to the Bretton Woods agreement, by gold. Nixon, said fuck you world, stole everyones gold and ceased the convertability of USD to gold.

0.2 (History) Realising no one would want the USD ever again, Nixon, a few years later, went to Saudi and said IF YOU AGREE TO ONLY SELL YOUR OIL IN DOLLARS, WE WILL PROTECT YOUR OIL FIELDS. Saudi's said fuck yeah best deal ever trololol, everyone else wanted in, now oil must be bought in dollars.

1. As long as other countries must hold US dollars to buy oil, the US can, and has, taken the fucking piss with it's spending and printing.

1.1 The US doesn't so much buy BMW's from Germany as Germany must export BMW's to the US to secure USD to buy oil, you have the whole thing backwards.

1.2 Bush and Cheney don't think. They are puppets and get told what to do.

1.3 The USA has no reputation bro.

1.4 Do you EVEN PETRODOLLAR? OMG!

1.5 Ignorance is bliss I guess.
Activity: 481
Merit: 268
1) You know the USA can't print any amount of USDs they want, that would enlarge the american huge trade deficit, cause depreciation of the USD, inflation and could affect the status of the USDs as the international currency. Therefore, buying oil with USDs means they can't buy so many BMWs from Germany or other goods. Since even to them the USDs is somehow scarce, buying with USDs or exchanging those USDs for euros to buy oil (everyone will accept the USDs gladly) doesn't change enough to justify war.

2) Bush son and Cheney were convinced that the easy oil to extract was ending and that an oil crisis was imminent (search Peak oil and Cheney), therefore having USDs or euros to pay for Iraqi oil wasn't enough assurance to have access to it.

I rest my case, feel free to think that the USA are willing to destroy their reputation and their citizens lives on a blatant invasion because of the currency an oil producer accepts to sell its oil. I won't return to this matter.
If you want to belive the USA invaded Iraq in 2003 because of the currency of iraqi oil, be my guest.
The reason was clear, the USA wanted to grab Iraqi oil reserves.
By the way, the United Nations "Oil for food Program" aproved by the Security Council, with the necessary consent of the USA, autorized Iraq to sell oil and those trades were mainly in euros until the end of the sanctions.
Several countries currently sell some oil in euros, including Venezuela, Angola, Iran, Russia or indonesia. They have to watch out for the imminent american invasion.

Are you telling me, that you believe, that 'murica, which has

A. The petrodollar system in under which OPEC sells oil only in dollars, and,
B. The ability to print as many dollars as they would like

would,

C. Invade Iraq because they wanted Iraq's physical reserves?

You don't get it mate. If 'murica makes Iraq sell oil in dollars, then it has their oil, because they can print dollars to wipe their ass with.

How long did it take for fucking 'murica to switch Iraq oil sales back to dollars even though Iraq lost out by not selling in the stronger Euro?

If 'murica gets the chance to spin some bullshit reason to go to war with anyone not selling oil in dollars, it will, it just needs to provoke some shit into happening then play the victim and whip up some nationalistic frenzy and their off again.

Iran is next. (because.... it's make WMDs? lolwtf. Because it's selling Oil for Gold and building a natural gas pipeline into Pakistan!)

If Opec stopped selling oil in dollars, 'murica would collapse.
If you want to belive the USA invaded Iraq in 2003 because of the currency of iraqi oil, be my guest.
The reason was clear, the USA wanted to grab Iraqi oil reserves.
By the way, the United Nations "Oil for food Program" aproved by the Security Council, with the necessary consent of the USA, autorized Iraq to sell oil and those trades were mainly in euros until the end of the sanctions.
Several countries currently sell some oil in euros, including Venezuela, Angola, Iran, Russia or indonesia. They have to watch out for the imminent american invasion.
Activity: 193
Merit: 117
HODL
It's a terribly "unsafe" investment.  One reason, a successful 51% attack or other issue could conceivably break the system irreparably.  Another reason, government action could also cause a huge price drop.
It also has a some chance of making extreme gains.
I think it's pretty simple, invest only what you are comfortable losing.  If it happens to rise to some of the higher end predictions being made, your small investment would be worth a bunch anyway.  In that way it is very "safe", risk a little to potentially gain a large amount.
The USA has been exporting their main commodity (the US dollar) for decades, living out of the expansion of the international commerce. Since the dollar is the main international currency, they can print out USDs with no risk of inflation as long as international trade increases.

But forget about wars. The idea that the USA went to war with Iraq because Saddam was saying he wouldn't accept USDs for its oil is a internet joke. The same can be said about the USA going to war with Russia or China because of their threats to dump the USD.

Your trolling me right?
Saddam didn't say he would price in Euros, he did price in Euros! And he was making 20% more than he would of been if he was pricing in dollars. Then boom! War on freedom terror kicks off, iraq invaded, and how long did it take 'murica to switch oil back to dollars?
Why are dollars used for international trade?
Bro, do you even petrodollar?

G.  

edit* USA didn't go to war to protect economic interests, it went to war to free iraqi people? is that what you actually beleive?
The USA has been exporting their main commodity (the US dollar) for decades, living out of the expansion of the international commerce. Since the dollar is the main international currency, they can print out USDs with no risk of inflation as long as international trade increases.

But forget about wars. The idea that the USA went to war with Iraq because Saddam was saying he wouldn't accept USDs for its oil is a internet joke. The same can be said about the USA going to war with Russia or China because of their threats to dump the USD.
The british central bank will never let the pound go under or the UK to go bankrupt.

The members of the euro zone are more or less screw on the long run, because they don't control the european central bank and probably they will never will (especially the small ones), but the UK? The british central bank will print the UK out of debt if that is necessary, as the FED will do. Yes, that will provoke inflation, but nothing like 8 or 10% inflation to erode debt.

Conclusion: if the goal is to have a safe haven, the pound is safer until things start to be out of control (and everybody will be able to see it coming months before); if the goal is to earn money, a wise investment in bitcoin (picking the right time to go in and go out) is a better choice.

This isn't quight right. The GBP can be printed but it will tank due to hyperinflation. As this shit hole we live in called the UK is not an exporter of goods, no one needs our pounds to buy anything + currency is free floating = GBP is dead.

'Murica is slightly different. Because 'murica has the petrodollar system creating artificial demand for the dollar it can print dollar and force it onto the balance sheets of other countrys (because they need dollars for oil) which is another was of forcing other countrys to pay american debt by having them hold an inflating currency (fuck them right?). This will lead to war at some point in time.

True story.

p.s. If Scotland breaks off, take the oil and forms a petro/gold backed currency, move there a.s.a.p.
All my fiat's value is simply being eroded by inflation and if when the UK government defaults on its huge amounts of debt, the £ could will be worth next to nothing.

Yeah, Bitcoin fluctuates but the risk of a total collapse of Bitcoin seems less likely than fiat currencies when you think about it.

Hello from Bath!

Not if, but when. The govt. help to buy scheme + interest rate rise = new mortgage back debt crisis!

G.
Activity: 784
Merit: 500
It all depends.  How much money are we talking about?  How long of investment and what's the expected return?

If you wanna make 1000% percent return in one year then yes speculate because no investment will give you that kind of return.  However understand that you could also lose it all so don't bet your house on it.

If you want a guaranteed return in 10 years buy a bond.  If you have good credit and want monthly income buy a rental property and find tenants. Or buy a basket of dividend stocks and collect dividends.

Even for speculation I don't think BTC is as good as options because it's not easy to quantify risk.  And doesn't give you any flexibility
The british central bank will never let the pound go under or the UK to go bankrupt.

The members of the euro zone are more or less screw on the long run, because they don't control the european central bank and probably they will never will (especially the small ones), but the UK? The british central bank will print the UK out of debt if that is necessary, as the FED will do. Yes, that will provoke inflation, but nothing like 8 or 10% inflation to erode debt.

Conclusion: if the goal is to have a safe haven, the pound is safer until things start to be out of control (and everybody will be able to see it coming months before); if the goal is to earn money, a wise investment in bitcoin (picking the right time to go in and go out) is a better choice.
Activity: 73
If you look at the graph that Peter.R made showing Bitcoin's value over time you see that the value of Bitcoin increases with the square of the number of users and you see that Bitcoin's volatility decreases over time. Remember a 50% devaluation seems like a-lot now there was a time when Bitcoin went from $30 to $2. So as others have said it is probably safe on the fundamentals if you have a long enough time horizon. That is if you don't count regulatory and technical risks which are unpredictable at the moment.
legendary
Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147
The revolution will be monetized!
Safe to use, but not at all safe as an investment.
Pages:
Jump to: