Pages:
Author

Topic: "Dollar headed for 'multi-year rally' " - page 2. (Read 3781 times)

Activity: 98
Merit: 10
America, land of the free

I have no idea why you would think that comparing the USD/EUR pair to the USD/BTC pair strengthens your argument in any way.  If anything it shows that government controlled currency is FAR more stable than your internet monopoly money.
legendary
Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035
USD only swings around at 5% to 10% or so every few months.

Bullshit.

Look at this nice steady graph. The pinnacle of stability!

http://www.xe.com/currencycharts/?from=USD&to=EUR&view=1Y
legendary
Activity: 1204
Merit: 1002
Gresham's Lawyer
No, I am stating that using the price of milk as evidence of runaway inflation is asinine, because it ignores all of the other factors that drive the price.

Then our Bureau of Labor Statistics is asinine. Tell it to the BLS.
The CPI has been adjusted all sorts of ways to reduce the visibility of inflation.  It is losing trust as a metric, so this suggestion of how to fix it should be well received by them.  Go for it.

I think you're on the right track.  Price of milk should be adopted as the new metric of national economy.  All them ivory tower chalkboard economists with their GDP this, standard of living that and their fancy learningz!  Got Milk?

Milk wasn't my choice.  Am just sharing what is out there.  
Thanks for contributing, since you brought up the new metric, how do you like to measure "national economy"?  
More data, please.
You're forgetting that it swung up from $15 to $266 in less than three months before that.

No. In fact, I stated that the rapid swings in price is part of what makes BTC a poor substitute for the dollar.

USD only swings around at 5% to 10% or so every few months.

Bullshit.
How is credibility measured, please? (Links?)
I am more interested in the credibility of the content over who repeats it, but I will settle for what you can help me with, for this.

The content of what they say is what drives their credibility.  

Take Ick, for example; he claims that the world is ruled by shape-shifting reptilian aliens. Do I need to explain why this isn't credible, or why anyone with an ounce of sanity would ignore what he has to say?
legendary
Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035
A fall from $266 to $87 in less than 3 months is a major loss of purchasing power in an extremely short period of time (as is $32 to $2 over 5 months).  If USD swung like that, there would be riots.

You're forgetting that it swung up from $15 to $266 in less than three months before that. This was a horrendous ouch

I'm still recovering  Cry
And you're right, USD only swings around at 5% to 10% or so every few months. It's just that no one notices, since everyone buys their stuff in their native currency.

By the a, I don't like using things like milk to estimate inflation, because that's heavily influenced by gas prices, too. When prices go up, shipping companies start charging hefty gas surcharges.
legendary
Gresham's Lawyer
Speaking of losing purchasing power:

Ouch.

We agree, Ouch.  The numbers have some meaning here, more explanation might be useful.
legendary
Gresham's Lawyer

What a fucking joke.  Are you going to quote Alex Jones or David Ick next?  (because they are about as equally credible as John Williams)

How is credibility measured, please? (Links?)
I am more interested in the credibility of the content over who repeats it, but I will settle for what you can help me with, for this.
A fall from $266 to $87 in less than 3 months is a major loss of purchasing power in an extremely short period of time (as is $32 to $2 over 5 months).  If USD swung like that, there would be riots.

It's cute that you think your chart makes BTC look like a viable alternative to USD, though.

legendary
Activity: 1078
Merit: 1006
100 satoshis -> ISO code

Oh no. Poor dollar holders getting pulverized...
Speaking of losing purchasing power:

Ouch.

What a fucking joke.  Are you going to quote Alex Jones or David Ick next?  (because they are about as equally credible as John Williams)
legendary
Activity: 1078
Merit: 1006
100 satoshis -> ISO code
The CPI has been adjusted all sorts of ways to reduce the visibility of inflation.  It is losing trust as a metric, so this suggestion of how to fix it should be well received by them.  Go for it.

The BLS has also been considered as the "Bureau of Lies and Stories"

Inflation stats using the official 1990 method show how much revision and hedonics has gone on recently....

http://www.shadowstats.com/alternate_data/inflation-charts

*words*

The government uses multiple metrics to get a more complete picture of actual inflation.  The CPI is far from the be-all end-all, and certainly is not the only metric used in measuring inflation and influencing policy-making decisions.
Activity: 210
Merit: 100
No, I am stating that using the price of milk as evidence of runaway inflation is asinine, because it ignores all of the other factors that drive the price.

I think you're on the right track.  Price of milk should be adopted as the new metric of national economy.  All them ivory tower chalkboard economists with their GDP this, standard of living that and their fancy learningz!  Got Milk?
legendary
Gresham's Lawyer

legendary
Gresham's Lawyer
Is your suggestion that the Dollar receives no subsidies?  Or that it is less than what Milk gets?

I've been rereading your tagline.  It is a beautiful sentiment.
"It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a Free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even of his personal services to the defense of it."
-George Washington

I heartily agree with this.  To a Free Government we can devote our property, sweat and blood with pride.  Freedom is an outgrowth of Liberty, which is always precious and fragile.  From misplaced fear, we must resist plunging daggers into Liberty's breast to spill blood on the altar of security.  We would do well to heal those wounds when we are able.

Another brilliant piece of sage advice from our greatest founder:

“Paper money has had the effect in your state that it will ever have, to ruin commerce, oppress the honest, and open the door to every species of fraud and injustice.”
― George Washington

This advice was written in 1787 to Jabez Bowen (1739-1815), a lawyer in Providence, was deputy governor of Rhode Island, and is as true today as ever.
You are ignoring all of the factors that come into play with the price of milk, besides purchasing power of the dollar.

Subsidies, government regulations, competition, demand, weather (ie: droughts), feed and equipment costs (which are further driven by different subsidies, regs, weather etc) etc. all drive the price of milk.

It is highly disingenuous to say that the increase in price is solely (or even mostly) due to inflation.
legendary
Gresham's Lawyer
Back to the point.

Over the last 10 years, our US Dollar, AKA Federal Reserve Note, buys about 45% less milk.
Using gold (lets be generous and use the highest price from 2003, US$363.58 and the lowest price from 2013, US$1,180 to make it look as bad as possible) if we were using gold to buy our milk instead of the FRN, we would get about 300% more milk.
If we used bitcoin, we'd own the farm instead.
So milk has been getting cheaper, just not cheap enough to keep up with the rate that dollars have been getting cheaper.

So dollars go bad faster than milk. 
Over this time period we did well if we sold dollars for milk, gold and BTC as fast as you get them.
Our SEC agent's wisdom must be based on the buy-low sell-high philosophy, the question is, will US$ ever be high?  Its on a multi-generational downtrend, we may just be looking for the greater fool.
Pages:
Jump to: