Pages:
Author

Topic: Earth hour. does anyone mining care? - page 3. (Read 4441 times)

Activity: 1372
Merit: 783
better everyday ♥
April 07, 2014, 02:01:08 PM
I voted option 3 because I'm an honest person, and ain't that the truth!    Cool
Activity: 91
Merit: 10
April 06, 2014, 04:09:49 PM
No, I don't care, but I'm not mining either. I just don't believe in the Earth Hour bullcrap.
Activity: 762
Merit: 500
April 06, 2014, 04:05:40 PM
I will turn everything off except the miner:D
Activity: 264
Merit: 250
April 06, 2014, 02:53:53 PM
Solar & wind powered mining is the way to go if you care about these things.
Unfortunately at these prices there's no point to start building... but might be just interesting project even if it covers just a fraction of used electricity.
Activity: 798
Merit: 1000
www.DonateMedia.org
April 04, 2014, 08:27:49 PM
Earth Hour is idiotic, the only way to actually help the Earth is to permanently reduce your environmental impact. For miners that comes in the form of using renewable energy sources like solar power and using the most efficient equipment possible.
Activity: 448
April 01, 2014, 01:40:53 AM
Well to be true it would be a good oppertunity as you pointed hash power will be lower. But my mind would not agree to it, so I would be shutting done the mining... You know I love my mother earth :p
STT
legendary
Activity: 4046
Merit: 1447
Catalog Websites
April 01, 2014, 01:29:23 AM
Mining represents energy saving, its alot less resources consumed then sending out a money truck or doping out some cotton for dollar bills.   Its all comparative
Activity: 37
Merit: 0
April 01, 2014, 12:38:15 AM
They probably did a ton of work to get those cities aboard but they could have been putting that into getting websites to use darker designs for a pledged amount of time and gotten more energy savings out of it.

This is not true anymore.  CRT monitors use less energy to display black.  LCD screens can actually use more energy to display black.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/fact-or-fiction-black-is/

CRT monitors, which until a few years ago were the predominant models among PC users, consume more power when a computer screen is white. To confirm this, Schindler measured the energy output of an 18-inch (45.7-centimeter) CRT monitor and found it used 102 watts when the screen was white but only 79 watts when the display was black.

This is not the case, however, with LCD monitors, which have no phosphors and represent the lion's share of every new monitored purchased in the developed world, including those used by laptops. Instead, LCD displays rely on an array of thin-tube fluorescent bulbs that provide a constant source of light to create a white screen. To make it black, LCDs rely on a diffuser to block this light. As a result, LCDs use more energy than CRTs to display a black screen. Measuring a 17-inch (43-centimeter) LCD monitor, Schindler found that white required 22.6 watts, while black came in a tad higher at 23.2 watts. With a 20-inch (50.8-centimeter) LCD, black required 6 percent more energy than white.
Activity: 955
Merit: 1004
March 30, 2014, 11:31:42 AM
The entire concept of "earth hour" is a farce, it's nothing more than something for liberal democrat politicians to make a speech about, showing how much they care about the environment and to buy votes to get re-elected to their easy jobs that get them lots of bribe and kickback money.  Then they hop on their private jets to go to the next earth hour speech somewhere else.  Just like Al Gore.

I'm not turning anything off or down.
legendary
Activity: 3582
Merit: 1094
Think for yourself
March 29, 2014, 06:48:24 PM
I know the poll is tongue in cheek, but I don't like the use of the word "hate".

Too many people reshape public opinion on the basis that anyone who is against "them" are by definition "hateful".  It wouldn't bother me that much, but it is too effective and keeps people from thinking objectively.

haha please ignore the second part if it bothers you that I formulated it in a blunt way. just wanted to get a quick overview and yes and no seemed boring

Bluntness I have no problem with.

I can disagree with people who have different opinions or values than I do without hating them.  Hopefully they can too, and I'm sure many do.  I really doubt the hash rate will fall though.  Plus I don't have anymore hashing hardware to bring to bear.  So none of those options apply to me.
Activity: 255
Merit: 116
March 29, 2014, 06:47:35 PM
Damn,that 3rd poll option was spot-on.
legendary
Think for yourself
March 29, 2014, 06:44:17 PM
Just another idiotic example of symbology over substance.

I'm pretty sure the Earth is going to survive whether I turn my lights off or not for an hour.

"Symbology" can lead to increased awareness.

Awareness of what, exactly?

And what benefit would said awareness be?
legendary
Think for yourself
March 29, 2014, 06:42:08 PM

I'm pretty sure the Earth is going to survive whether I turn my lights off or not for an hour.
It has nothing to do however with the earth not surviving because of the lights turned off.

Sounds like it to me.  Culled from the Wikipedia article

"encouraging individuals, communities, households and businesses to turn off their non-essential lights for one hour as a symbol for their commitment to the planet"
Activity: 12
March 29, 2014, 02:04:21 PM

"Symbology" can lead to increased awareness.it can also give people an excuse to do nothing more. It has nothing to do however with the earth not surviving because of the lights turned off.
Activity: 20
March 29, 2014, 02:00:47 PM
I'll invest today's mined bitcoins in green energy devices. Make sense?
Activity: 266
March 29, 2014, 01:23:01 PM
I know the poll is tongue in cheek, but I don't like the use of the word "hate".

Too many people reshape public opinion on the basis that anyone who is against "them" are by definition "hateful".  It wouldn't bother me that much, but it is too effective and keeps people from thinking objectively.

haha please ignore the second part if it bothers you that I formulated it in a blunt way. just wanted to get a quick overview and yes and no seemed boring
Activity: 462
March 29, 2014, 12:51:02 PM
Worst poll options ever Huh
legendary
Think for yourself
March 29, 2014, 12:32:05 PM
That may keep them from doing something that actually helps environment and most importantly from politically addressing the problem...

Do you think this "problem" really needs to be addressed "politically"?

The last thing we need is more government obstacles motivated by political maneuvering.
legendary
Think for yourself
March 29, 2014, 12:29:28 PM

Activity: 266
March 29, 2014, 12:18:34 PM
poll is online, please vote!
Pages:
Jump to: