Pages:
Author

Topic: Easy to use portable Bitcoin client - page 3. (Read 5221 times)

legendary
Activity: 1014
Merit: 1001
January 15, 2013, 02:57:56 AM
I don't understand what is the benefit of downloading this if on the official site there's already a portable app to be downloaded. Are you re-hosting it? building it yourself?
There is a standalone executable on the official site, but no portable client. Thats why I've made this portable version of the client. It contains the official standalone executable from slush. You can download and compare both versions.
I made this version for my own use, as I like the electrum client and I prefer portable apps. As there is no other portable client available yet, I decided to share it  Smiley
Activity: 31
Merit: 0
January 14, 2013, 08:48:19 PM
I don't understand what is the benefit of downloading this if on the official site there's already a portable app to be downloaded. Are you re-hosting it? building it yourself?
Activity: 349
Merit: 250
January 14, 2013, 06:34:29 PM
New version released: Electrum 1.6.1 portable
A switch button now allows to easily switch between Lite and Classic GUI.
Various improvements (see changelog).

Really? Deleting your old post and then posting the same exact thing as last post?

Please don't use 3rd party provided Electrum binaries. Only use binaries downloaded from electrum.org.

If you want to provide extra binaries, come to IRC and discuss this with ThomasV.
legendary
January 14, 2013, 03:07:31 PM
New version released: Electrum 1.6.1 portable
A switch button now allows to easily switch between Lite and Classic GUI.
Various improvements (see changelog).
legendary
Activity: 1896
Merit: 1353
January 14, 2013, 12:53:17 PM
Please don't use 3rd party provided Electrum binaries. Only use binaries downloaded from electrum.org.

If you want to provide extra binaries, come to IRC and discuss this with ThomasV.

+1
Activity: 9
January 14, 2013, 07:46:12 AM
Has anyone given blockchain a try?
Activity: 349
Merit: 250
January 14, 2013, 07:25:50 AM

Activity: 784
Merit: 1009
firstbits:1MinerQ
January 10, 2013, 09:41:23 PM
Seems like I am destined to make every mistake possible.

I have forgotten my wallet password.
Wasn't much in there to begin with.
So, I've read pretty much impossible to recover it.
Fine I can live with that and my mistake.

the REAL QUESTION IS:

How do I uninstall , reinstall electrum so that I can have a chance of entering a NEW password and then making sure I don't forget it ?
Else if I delete it, and restart it, it would just ask for the old password which I forgot...
Thanks again.
Did you forget the password or the "seed". The password protects you from someone spending funds and is asked for when you want to send money. The seed is generated when you created the wallet and were told to write it down (12 words). With the seed you can restore the wallet even when you have forgotten the password. But if you didn't write down the seed then your wallet cannot be recovered.

Either way you don't need to uninstall and reinstall. You either need to "restore" if you know your seed, or "create" a new wallet if you don't. Both can be done as commands on the cmd line, and it will work from the desktop too.

You can do a restore or create by starting electrum with a new wallet option,
electrum -w my_new_wallet
(use whatever new name you like)
And then selecting Restore in the dialog. It will ask for your seed, and after that a new password. If you don't know the seed then you'll have no option but to select Create instead of Restore, which will generate a completely new wallet.

On Unity desktop I think you can do this command by typing Alt-F2 and then typing command as above. After restored you probably want to backup your old electrum.dat file and rename the my_new_wallet to elctrum.dat so that it is the default wallet.
Activity: 7
January 10, 2013, 08:08:11 PM
Seems like I am destined to make every mistake possible.

I have forgotten my wallet password.
Wasn't much in there to begin with.
So, I've read pretty much impossible to recover it.
Fine I can live with that and my mistake.

the REAL QUESTION IS:

How do I uninstall , reinstall electrum so that I can have a chance of entering a NEW password and then making sure I don't forget it ?
Else if I delete it, and restart it, it would just ask for the old password which I forgot...
Thanks again.

legendary
January 10, 2013, 11:13:47 AM
I fully trust in slush's electrum builds! I made it portable using a batch file, quite simple.
I will update the portable client to 1.6.1 with the next release - coming soon, as announced.
Activity: 938
Merit: 1000
January 10, 2013, 10:09:18 AM
Thanks for pointing it out. I should have named it 1.6.01

I really think it's better to only build from git tagged sources. That way you know no creepy bugs end up in your builds. Do you have your source fork available on github somewhere?
legendary
January 10, 2013, 10:03:37 AM
Thanks for pointing it out. I should have named it 1.6.01
legendary
Activity: 1896
Merit: 1353
January 10, 2013, 08:50:37 AM
Good news: The new release is ready to download  Smiley
http://ge.tt/4xwlU5V/v/0

Various improvements have been added to the GUI
This version fully supports compressed keys (the new key format from bitcoind).
It is now possible to import keys and delete them in the GUI

Electrum version 1.6.1 has not been released yet.
Of course you have the right to name your build as you wish, but it really complicates the task of developers who try to diagnose
bugs if you distribute binary builds that use version numbers that are not consistent with the official version.

In addition, please note that Electrum is free software, released under the GNU GPL Licence.
This means that third parties who distribute builds must publish the source code they used to create the build, the compiling instructions for the build, and any modification they made to the code.

legendary
January 10, 2013, 07:10:35 AM
Good news: The new release is ready to download  Smiley
http://ge.tt/4xwlU5V/v/0

Various improvements have been added to the GUI
This version fully supports compressed keys (the new key format from bitcoind).
It is now possible to import keys and delete them in the GUI
donator
Activity: 848
Merit: 1078
January 09, 2013, 06:33:29 PM
Download: http:// ge.tt/3CppLwT/v/0

I do appreciate the work you do to promote Electrum.
However, I am very concerned by binaries distributed by third parties, because this is a potential vector for malware.

I guess this binary uses the --portable flag on startup, and this (hopefully) is the only difference.
why don't you ask slush to create an official "portable" executable file with this option?

+1, is there an option for a portable build on the official site?
January 09, 2013, 03:33:47 PM
I realize it was a mistake to introduce a button to switch GUI without an easy way back.
I will either remove it, or add a similar reverse button to the lite GUI.

thanks Dude,
I guess my stupidity and ignorance was useful after all...Smiley
January 09, 2013, 03:30:14 PM
Dear bitcats,

Seems I couldn't even get your name right.
Sorry about that.

Once again, thank you, thank you !
legendary
January 09, 2013, 03:23:37 PM
Hours later,
Thank you   FlatFly, Bitcoins, thank you thank you
Finally, some sage and straightforward advice for fucking retards like me.
That worked fine.
Your welcome. Great that your client finally works.
(My name is bitcats, not bitcoins Wink)
January 09, 2013, 01:31:57 PM
Hours later,

Thank you   FlatFly, Bitcoins, thank you thank you

Finally, some sage and straightforward advice for fucking retards like me.
That worked fine.

Activity: 11
January 09, 2013, 12:54:54 PM
Cool!
Pages:
Jump to: