Pages:
Author

Topic: Economic Devastation - page 38. (Read 504766 times)

Activity: 370
Merit: 250
December 27, 2015, 09:49:57 AM

Regarding A) I would agree that the best that can be achieved in the foreseeable future is to approximate such an ideal. I believe Nash acknowledged that as well which is why he referred to this concept as asymptotically ideal.

Regarding B) Nash's argument appears to be that when individuals are able to participate in multiple networks simultaneously the network operating with a currency unit that is closer to ideal money will eventually win out as individuals gradually migrate over to the monetary unit that is closer to the ideal.

A but he still expects that ideal money is a single point to converge to, Not sure that is true as diffrent markets will have different "ideals", No one size fits all.
B multiple participation will not neccesary be an evolutionary game, gresham law doesn apply on free floating currencies, So multiple currencies may be used for access to diffrent markets without one dominating over the other. The most prominent factor for adoption in a network is availability. Ie if I can borrow in euros, i will choose euros over dollars, regardless of other metrics. Digital moneys however may break geospatial barriers and overcome supply issues, but can they be flexible enough to support variant markets? not so sure. Cause money is a political choice, and not all markets thrive under the same policy

legendary
Activity: 2044
Merit: 1005
December 27, 2015, 02:49:49 AM

Actually i agree with you and am designing it into my coin such that it will inflate when it is in use amd deflate when not based on blocks getting filled up or not.. Ofcourse rate of inf def will be very small to not have a short term affect. This way you tie supply to real world usage somewhat and it scales with the usage of the currency.

not sure your dynamics will be stable, miners can choose to fill up transactions with spam, or not at all. Imho best to let miners decide on monetary supply, which will actually do it anyway.
It will cost more to fill up the blocks then any benefit of inflating or deflating.. currently im only inflating if services are used and 2x the amount of service fee which is the dust output threshold (very low)... thus you'd need to create spam the block with services which will cost a service fee aswell as the normal relay tx fee... it will cost more to spam then the amount it will inflate.
Activity: 98
Merit: 10
December 26, 2015, 11:39:07 PM
Bitcoin would normally not create economic devastation if it's logistics were more ambitious.
legendary
Activity: 1946
Merit: 1055
December 26, 2015, 11:07:59 PM
Where did you get no inflation is ideal? The problem is centeal authority and non interest rate targetting which he says is the best we got right now.

From http://sites.stat.psu.edu/~babu/nash/money.pdf

However, if we assume Nash is correct on all of his posits it does lead to some interesting conclusions. Namely if Nash posits 1-4 are assumed to all be true then we can infer the following:

A) Ideal money has both zero inflation and zero deflation over time. Only a currency that neither gained or lost purchasing power would meet the criteria of a standard of measurement comparable to a watt, the hour, or a degree of temperature. Deflationary currencies would fail this test just as inflationary currencies do.
B) Money that is not ideal, but better then the existing system would be expected to thrive and supplant that system until a superior solution even closer to the ideal is discovered
C) For Bitcoin to meet the criteria of a true ideal currency the the human population would need to stabilize at a fixed number and technological progress would have to plateau or the bitcoin protocol would need to be modified to modify the supply of coins in existence in response to technological improvements and or population changes.

A can never be because markets are fractals, their size differs with the unit used, What is the ideal measure to measure a coastline?. Also they are unpredictable, ideal money will always be a step or more behind.
B money is not just a thing to discard for something better, money is first and foremost participation in a network, and choice of adoption follows network effect laws.

Regarding A) I would agree that the best that can be achieved in the foreseeable future is to approximate such an ideal. I believe Nash acknowledged that as well which is why he referred to this concept as asymptotically ideal.

Regarding B) Nash's argument appears to be that when individuals are able to participate in multiple networks simultaneously the network operating with a currency unit that is closer to ideal money will eventually win out as individuals gradually migrate over to the monetary unit that is closer to the ideal.

That is my gross impression anyway from the lecture summary posted above. Having not read his actual paper my understanding of his argument may be flawed.

But i think Nash is wrong on a more basic level

To better assess this it would be helpful to see the arguments he uses to make his case.
If anyone has access to the Southern Economic Journal I would be interested in getting a copy of this article

http://econpapers.repec.org/article/sejancoec/v_3a69_3a1_3ay_3a2002_3ap_3a4-11.htm
December 26, 2015, 09:58:46 PM
legendary
December 26, 2015, 09:16:30 PM
legendary
December 26, 2015, 08:19:27 PM

Can you expand on the nash concept of ideal money. I am unfamiliar with his theory.

The wikipedia page is not helpful.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ideal_money

It says only
"In John Nash’s lecture he mentioned "Good money’,is money that is expected to maintain its value over time. ‘Bad money’ is expected to lose value over time, as under conditions of inflation"
and
"John Nash mentioned in his lecture that Euro might become an ideal money in the future, because Euro is used in a large range of places and has a good stability"

Stating that ideal money is money that maintains value over time forces you to define "value" and address why money that maintains "value" is superior to money that increases or declines over time.
http://sites.stat.psu.edu/~babu/nash/money.pdf

asymptotically ideal is what I believe he refers to as something like bitcoin. Note we will never have perfect money, where inflation is tied to a real economic indicator that is easily auditable and one that cant be tampered with, but bitcoins falls under the curve closer to infinity than inflation targetted currencies today.

Notable quote which would make sense to most here :
"money should have the function of a standard of measurement and thus that it should become comparable to the watt"
Btw i believe nash was satoshi.

Interesting read thanks.

The critical postulates from the the Nash lecture above are the following:

1) Money should ideally have the function of a standard of measurement and this should ideally be comparable to the watt or the hour or a degree of temperature.
2) Ideal money should be free of "inflationary decadence" and the ideal rate of inflation over the long term is a zero rate of inflation
3) Currencies are in competition with each other and over time and individuals are increasingly able to "vote with their feet" leaving inflationary currencies for those that are more stable.
4) Over time competitive pressure will result in natural selection and lead us ever closer to ideal money. This process is referred to as asymptotically ideal money    

Unfortunately, these ideas are essentially left as unsupported posits in the lecture linked above with little in the way of supporting framework.
I would have liked to read the actual publication referenced in the lecture to see if Nash has developed deeper justifications supporting these ideas. The referenced paper in the lecture does not seem to be be available online. Its abstract is here.
http://econpapers.repec.org/article/sejancoec/v_3a69_3a1_3ay_3a2002_3ap_3a4-11.htm

However, if we assume Nash is correct on all of his posits it does lead to some interesting conclusions. Namely if Nash posits 1-4 are assumed to all be true then we can infer the following:

A) Ideal money has both zero inflation and zero deflation over time. Only a currency that neither gained or lost purchasing power would meet the criteria of a standard of measurement comparable to a watt, the hour, or a degree of temperature. Deflationary currencies would fail this test just as inflationary currencies do.
B) Money that is not ideal, but better then the existing system would be expected to thrive and supplant that system until a superior solution even closer to the ideal is discovered
C) For Bitcoin to meet the criteria of a true ideal currency the the human population would need to stabilize at a fixed number and technological progress would have to plateau or the bitcoin protocol would need to be modified to modify the supply of coins in existence in response to technological improvements and or population changes.
legendary
December 26, 2015, 04:47:03 AM
Thus the solution is to remove from government the power of currency creation (via the development of superior competitors) and force it to eventually live only through taxation? Without this power banks would be forced to raise capital through legitimate means (investors and depositors) rather then just borrow newly created fiat from the FED. Governments would be likewise be unable to realistically backstop banks. When there is limited free wealth to go around the share that can go to "friends" would plummet.
Thats the million dollar question.. Inflation targetting is the best we had before bitcoin, and if bitcoin classifies closer to what nash termed ideal money then yea it will win themarket over due to increases in efficiency by moving out the middlemen who tend to be dishonest

Can you expand on the nash concept of ideal money. I am unfamiliar with his theory.

It says only
"In John Nash’s lecture he mentioned "Good money’,is money that is expected to maintain its value over time. ‘Bad money’ is expected to lose value over time, as under conditions of inflation"
and
"John Nash mentioned in his lecture that Euro might become an ideal money in the future, because Euro is used in a large range of places and has a good stability"

Stating that ideal money is money that maintains value over time forces you to define "value" and address why money that maintains "value" is superior to money that increases or declines over time.

asymptotically ideal is what I believe he refers to as something like bitcoin. Note we will never have perfect money, where inflation is tied to a real economic indicator that is easily auditable and one that cant be tampered with, but bitcoins falls under the curve closer to infinity than inflation targetted currencies today.

"money should have the function of a standard of measurement and thus that it should become comparable to the watt"

actually by cryptos we can have access to more information on the economy as all transactions are visible, and we could just as well add more info ie product ids etc, and get near perfect measures.
however hard coding money supply bitcoinlike is a very bad idea imho as it creates moral hazard. The decision on expanding or contracting money supply could be decentralized, ie a pool could decide if their mined blocks will get reward or not, and miners could in decentralized way control money supply, It looks counter intuitive why a miner would forfeit the bonus but its a choice he could make, could still collect fees though.
john nash is dead wrong on creating the labels bad/good money. money is a tool not a god. It is good or bad based on its effect on economy not by some intrinsic quality. he is wrong about euro too, euro will end in tears.
Where did he say euro will last? We all know that..

Actually i agree with you and am designing it into my coin such that it will inflate when it is in use amd deflate when not based on blocks getting filled up or not.. Ofcourse rate of inf def will be very small to not have a short term affect. This way you tie supply to real world usage somewhat and it scales with the usage of the currency.

With bitcoin it may have an issue with scaling if everyone was to own satoshis we may not habe enough of them in 21 million to go around, leaving poor ppl hanging out to dry.
December 25, 2015, 03:42:56 PM
Thus the solution is to remove from government the power of currency creation (via the development of superior competitors) and force it to eventually live only through taxation? Without this power banks would be forced to raise capital through legitimate means (investors and depositors) rather then just borrow newly created fiat from the FED. Governments would be likewise be unable to realistically backstop banks. When there is limited free wealth to go around the share that can go to "friends" would plummet.
Thats the million dollar question.. Inflation targetting is the best we had before bitcoin, and if bitcoin classifies closer to what nash termed ideal money then yea it will win themarket over due to increases in efficiency by moving out the middlemen who tend to be dishonest

It says only
and

actually by cryptos we can have access to more information on the economy as all transactions are visible, and we could just as well add more info ie product ids etc, and get near perfect measures.
however hard coding money supply bitcoinlike is a very bad idea imho as it creates moral hazard. The decision on expanding or contracting money supply could be decentralized, ie a pool could decide if their mined blocks will get reward or not, and miners could in decentralized way control money supply, It looks counter intuitive why a miner would forfeit the bonus but its a choice he could make, could still collect fees though.
john nash is dead wrong on creating the labels bad/good money. money is a tool not a god. It is good or bad based on its effect on economy not by some intrinsic quality. he is wrong about euro too, euro will end in tears.
legendary
December 23, 2015, 01:35:20 AM

It says only
and

Activity: 854
Merit: 1009
JAYCE DESIGNS - http://bit.ly/1tmgIwK
December 23, 2015, 01:01:00 AM

It says only
and

However this is a dual system.    revenue vs debt -> if the revenue increases due to new opportunities and lack of inflation, then the interest rate can increase on that debt too.

While with fiat the banks have the upper hand that they can loan at 0.36%, and pocket the spread, if fiat goes away (by people not using it) then the decentralized world will have big interest rates 6-10%, but the income will be so big that people can easily pay this.

Therefore yes its a free market, if the economy is strong, due to decentralization, then interest rates can easily go up.
legendary
December 23, 2015, 12:45:59 AM

It says only
and

legendary
December 23, 2015, 12:18:48 AM
Yes.

They come out the winners no matter what happens. The bankers are always hedged.

If the economy goes on: They give out more loans (out of thin air) and get leveraged interest payments

If the economy collapses: They confiscate the assets from those that cant pay the debt, because they lost their jobs, and now the bank have real assets, which they can give in rent to the same person they stole from just so that he doesnt get in the street.

The same with bitcoin:  If bitcoin never goes mainstream (which I doubt) they will remain the elite

If bitcoin goes mainstream: They will quickly buy up bitcoin with their fictitious paper, and still remain the elite.

They will remain the elite.

Not so!

answer =
Public infrastructure on account managing and payment system + Banks only get to broker investment between credit seekers and investors (Do their real job: *risk assesment* ).
Have faith banks will not escape uberization, they are about to be disrupted Wink ie P2P Lending

In an economy where a decentralized cryptocurrency became dominant the current economic elite would only be able to buy a powerful opening position. To maintain elite status thereafter would require those individuals to compete and produce. Otherwise their share of the pie would shrink progressively every time they consumed and/or choose to reproduce beyond replacement levels.

This is drastically different from the economic situation of today which allows connected individual to essentially debase the money supply on demand (at very little cost) and buy up or corner economic opportunity while having the government bail them out (further debasing the money supply) in the event of investment error.

P2P lending can only only dominate once it becomes cost competitive. That necessitates the end of fiat currency. I got an offer to refinance my student loans the other day at 2.3% variable with payments over 5 years. I have a great job and good credit. However, the reality is that only someone with access to FED funding would probably be willing to make a loan like this. A bank can borrow at 0.36% (current federal funds rate) make a loan to me at 2.3% and pocket the spread. P2P cannot match that because they do not have access to easy funds at 0.36%  

legendary
December 23, 2015, 12:15:32 AM
The banks are not the deep problem, it is about who controls the banks, who controls the productions mediums, money gets value because you can get things with it, and is the seller who says what is money and what is not

The problem is as always the "Privilege"  to quote Hagbard Celine

(1) With banks the privilege of having the backing of the state , and  
(2) With "friends" having the privileged access to funding ie large loans without collateral, early loans in the business cycle.

But I think that the 2nd is the most damaging and creates the need for the 1st
You got it.. The govt trusts them to make good decisions for everyone and the banks inr eturn get favourable rates to make money, that and im sure they are family/buddies who share a piece of the free wealth.

legendary
December 22, 2015, 11:58:18 PM
The banks are not the deep problem, it is about who controls the banks, who controls the productions mediums, money gets value because you can get things with it, and is the seller who says what is money and what is not

The problem is as always the "Privilege"  to quote Hagbard Celine

(2) With "friends" having the privileged access to funding ie large loans without collateral, early loans in the business cycle.

You got it.. The govt trusts them to make good decisions for everyone and the banks inr eturn get favourable rates to make money, that and im sure they are family/buddies who share a piece of the free wealth.

legendary
December 22, 2015, 12:36:12 PM

The problem is as always the "Privilege"  to quote Hagbard Celine

December 22, 2015, 09:24:03 AM

The problem is as always the "Privilege"  to quote Hagbard Celine

legendary
December 21, 2015, 12:11:20 PM

Are you saying that there are no new companies being formed today or new construction jobs being created through banks because of "debtism"? You couldn't be farther off from the truth.

No, but in a capitalist society there would be hardly need for "companies", there would only be voluntary people interacting with eachother. The term company is pretty communistic, as its central command and control isnt it?

Chance of opportunity is EQUAL for everyone but every opportunity benefits the boys club, the only thing that needs to change is the boys club. Regulation is there to avoid scams and business malpractice, that is another subject.
Is that so? Then why are small businesses taxed more than large ones? Why are small businesses harassed because they forgot to pay some taxes, while big giants get away with paying 0.1% taxes only. Small businesses harassed with eco regulations, while big oil companies just dump the oil in the ocean...

Regulation is there to have another excuse to ripoff people, regulation is the scam, and with blockchain tech, it wont be needed anymore

Once you have good credit you can actually leverage banks for very minimal fees so your margins get better as your business/relationship grows.
Few banks keep credit scores, or atleast where I live, because they just print the money out of this air, they hardly care about defaults

A prediction market can replace the credit beaureu and a p2p lending system can replace bank liquidity with better discovery mechanisms for interest on liquidity..however I feel if this is done we'll have huge tax increases as the boys club fights back.

Possibly, p2p lending in a decentralized way can be very helpful, and yes it will help interest rate discovery.

As you may have forgot we have communist central banks dictating interest, there is hardly any PD at the moment.
Banks dont care for defaults, they print money? Lol another wild claim coming out from you.. Hard to take you seriously when you say such stupid things.

I recommend some finance courses to get you up to speed on how the world works.. Hard to know the solution when you dont understand the problem.

Chris martenson has a good ebook to checkout its pretty short and highly educational.
legendary
Activity: 966
Merit: 1000
December 20, 2015, 09:30:59 PM
STT
legendary
Activity: 4004
Merit: 1428
☠ ☠ ☠ メメ
December 20, 2015, 06:46:58 PM
Leasing is more expensive then ownership....

It seems to me banks own everything, and everybody else is just leasing/borrowing from them ,including medium & large businesses too ,even governments.
Banks dont own it either because their basic operating model is to only have ten percent of whatever money they are loaning out.   A bank is nothing without its backers, like we saw in the big melt down that if that short term credit walks away then you're a man all alone in the world very fast with no friends these banks are nobody.
   Banks arent really owners in my view, more operators like everyone else.

The old family owned model is much rarer today.   Its more franchised operations with everything considered nationally, money flows all around.  Im not all against that because trading is the modern world and quite often a profitable wealthy way forward, its efficient basically.   Its not personal though, there is little special thought in a typical franchise and thats why we have words like contagion because all this money will depart as relentlessly as a tide goes out.
  It'll maroon the unpopular circumstances, who have no capital of their own, the ghost town factor where incredibly a working town can become zero almost unbelievably fast.    I imagine the tide flows to China or whoever actually has capital, I dont even know they are rich either
Pages:
Jump to: