Pages:
Author

Topic: [EDU] Faucet risks - page 7. (Read 65694 times)

Activity: 154
Merit: 10
May 08, 2015, 06:24:17 PM
I just started "faucet experiment" last friday. Generally I give away roughly the same amount that I get through ads. But I have to say that only ads that provide good income by now is Adsense. So there is this problem that I cannot striaght move this money back to the faucet. All the bitcoin as systems give not enough money to be worth anything - I actually get more money by posting a few posts on bitcointalk, because of the signature campaign (And I am participating in a really low paying signature campaign - so this is the level of income by now..)
I get around 100 visitors per hour (google analytics) - and this is almost a steady number since 3 days.
I get around 3-7 clicks a day on adsense - I do not use any "tricks", I do not click myself or ask anyone about it.
Activity: 156
Merit: 100
Speedy & Reliable SSD Web Hosting -- Falixr
May 08, 2015, 04:54:23 PM
Faucets aren't going to go away, I'm glad someone has taken the initiative to educate about the ins and outs. I've tried them in the past and gave up pretty quick because they pay shit, but I never had any idea about malvertizing so you can always learn something new obviously.
I'm curious though, how much can one make by running a faucet? It's passive income so you could have several going all the time, but if everyone avoids clicking your ads you won't make anything. It would be interesting to see a breakdown by a successful operator, but I doubt it could be very much...

Anyway, just discovered the whole micro-payments child board. A very welcome addition to bitcointalk nice!

EDIT- superiorus posted at the exact same time as me, half answering my question. Can you quote $$$ amounts of your earnings?

Adbit.co shows that MoonBit.co.in makes 0.55 BTC/day from AdBit alone. MoonBit also has ads from a-ads & custom ones, so definitely more than 1 BTC/day. I'd estimate 40-45 BTC gross per month.
legendary
Activity: 1456
Merit: 1009
Ad maiora!
May 05, 2015, 06:29:09 PM
lol I am 12 and what is this?!?!

no, not really...faucets sure seem to make some people mad though. I could care less, if there's money to be made they will continue, which leads me to believe that there must be some money to be made running faucets... Of course, in some parts of the world 5$ a day is actually a sustainable income...not where I live, I just spent 20$ on two coffees and a danish!

Anyways, I look at anyone using faucets the same way I look at someone picking a penny up off the sidewalk. If its worth it to you to do it, be my guest, I've known what its like to be destitute....
copper member
Activity: 1498
Merit: 1480
No I dont escrow anymore.
May 05, 2015, 04:59:19 AM
Faucets are trendy and I own one of the best Smiley   ( I dont write this post to advertise my faucet Smiley )

It is not so easy to manage a faucet (I mean a decent one with serious intentions)

There are many things you must set :  website design/script , dedicated server, custom modifications, security, etc.

Also the balance between revenue and payments could be a problem (must test and test to find the right value)

Would you be willing to publish an example calculation? E.g. a list of expenses, the profit per user/day or /visit, the (typical) payout. I think an example would greatly improve #2. Maybe even an estimate about the time it takes to take care of the faucet (reloading the wallet, promotion, updates, improvements, etc.)

-snip-
One "benefit" to using faucets is that if you use some kind of faucet rotator, or other site that lists a large number of faucets, then you are bound to come across a faucet that actually has a good amount of information about bitcoin and how it works. This is somewhat different from someone actually receiving a small amount of bitcoin to get to "play around with" when they receive the "earnings". IMO this is really just a way to get people to click more links (which involve in viewing more ads), however it would be a real benefit IMO.

I had some time to think about this, but I still dont get the point tbh. Its not a given that you will find a faucet that will provide good information. I would argue that most faucets tend to focus on games rather than information. Its easier to keep someone entertained with a game than with infobits. I certainly agree that faucets can be an entry point into bitcoin as with more bitcoin in your possession comes more interest in the details and the rest of the bitcoin world.

-snip-
He still could be 12.

I could be, but I dont think my age matters. In fact the way naturelle tried to attack me only shows their immaturity.
legendary
Activity: 1456
Merit: 1009
Ad maiora!
May 05, 2015, 04:51:51 AM
Faucets aren't going to go away, I'm glad someone has taken the initiative to educate about the ins and outs. I've tried them in the past and gave up pretty quick because they pay shit, but I never had any idea about malvertizing so you can always learn something new obviously.
I'm curious though, how much can one make by running a faucet? It's passive income so you could have several going all the time, but if everyone avoids clicking your ads you won't make anything. It would be interesting to see a breakdown by a successful operator, but I doubt it could be very much...

Anyway, just discovered the whole micro-payments child board. A very welcome addition to bitcointalk nice!

EDIT- superiorus posted at the exact same time as me, half answering my question. Can you quote $$$ amounts of your earnings?
legendary
Activity: 1358
Merit: 1000
Bitcoiner since start, and continue to love it!
May 05, 2015, 04:45:40 AM
Faucets are trendy and I own one of the best Smiley   ( I dont write this post to advertise my faucet Smiley )

It is not so easy to manage a faucet (I mean a decent one with serious intentions)

There are many things you must set :  website design/script , dedicated server, custom modifications, security, etc.

Also the balance between revenue and payments could be a problem (must test and test to find the right value)
Activity: 718
Merit: 500
May 04, 2015, 04:03:15 PM
Faucets are EVIL!! Stay away....      Wink
Activity: 532
Merit: 500
no longer selling accounts
May 03, 2015, 05:10:07 PM
Thanks for taking the time to make this thread. Maybe talk about the (few) benefits of faucets?

Are there any besides "free" bitcoin? I mean thats the obvious one, you get some coins for work that can be done by almost everyone. I know some people argue that faucets are a good way to understand bitcoin by using and testing them, but I dont see the point to be honest. My main problem with this benefit is that bitcoin behaves differently at different amounts you have available. I used to grind faucets as well and thought bitcoin had a rather highish fee scheme (see risk #1). I think its better to invest a small amount of your local currency into bitcoin in order to see how it behaves, feels and works with everyday amounts.

If you have any specific benefit in mind I can certainly write a paragraph about it and add it.
One "benefit" to using faucets is that if you use some kind of faucet rotator, or other site that lists a large number of faucets, then you are bound to come across a faucet that actually has a good amount of information about bitcoin and how it works. This is somewhat different from someone actually receiving a small amount of bitcoin to get to "play around with" when they receive the "earnings". IMO this is really just a way to get people to click more links (which involve in viewing more ads), however it would be a real benefit IMO.
legendary
Activity: 2072
Merit: 1049
┴puoʎǝq ʞool┴
May 03, 2015, 10:59:55 AM
most stupid OP ever.. nothing but pure speculation, yes because faucets need servers to run on, no you dumb ass you can run it on a $1/month hosting plan

It is however difficult to balance the monthly costs, e.g. for the server. These can only be balanced over a certain amount of users. Whenever a faucet turns unprofitable the operator can easily vanish

OP are you 12?

this is an EDU thread which means that it is for education, if you dont wish to be educated for your own good, then you can leave this thread since no one will be forcing you to do what is written here.

OP is not 12, he is a long standing member that has made a lot of good thread for educational purposes such as this one

He still could be 12.
legendary
Activity: 1540
Merit: 1016
May 02, 2015, 04:11:05 PM
most stupid OP ever.. nothing but pure speculation, yes because faucets need servers to run on, no you dumb ass you can run it on a $1/month hosting plan

It is however difficult to balance the monthly costs, e.g. for the server. These can only be balanced over a certain amount of users. Whenever a faucet turns unprofitable the operator can easily vanish

OP are you 12?

this is an EDU thread which means that it is for education, if you dont wish to be educated for your own good, then you can leave this thread since no one will be forcing you to do what is written here.

OP is not 12, he is a long standing member that has made a lot of good thread for educational purposes such as this one
copper member
May 02, 2015, 02:33:41 PM
Great educational post shorena, it will help newbies keep safe from falling in some traps. I saw some people also providing some bots for faucets and promising hands-free-income but in the end these so called bots are programs which contain malicious codes that can steal a user's sensitive information and/or bitcoins and people should refrain from using these.

Thanks, added a few sentences in regards to that.
Activity: 672
Merit: 501
May 02, 2015, 01:41:42 PM
Great educational post shorena, it will help newbies keep safe from falling in some traps. I saw some people also providing some bots for faucets and promising hands-free-income but in the end these so called bots are programs which contain malicious codes that can steal a user's sensitive information and/or bitcoins and people should refrain from using these.
copper member
May 02, 2015, 12:43:01 PM
I have a question about point 3. Many people make faucet lists and rotators and they use their referral links there. They advertise it on this forum. Is it a referral spam? I think it a good way for faucets to get some free advertisement and get more traffic. It is a good way for the owners of new faucets to get many people to visit their sites.
I believe that referral spam is only when posting your referral link directly on the forum. If you post your site which contains referral links I doubt it is counted as referral spam.

This is my impression as well. Keep in mind though that any low quality posts that are only written to promote a service will also be considered spam. Thus if you go around and create posts to advertise your service you might get banned as well. Its perfectly fine to create a single thread to announce a new service though.
legendary
Activity: 2324
Merit: 1267
In Memory of Zepher
May 02, 2015, 12:07:14 PM
I have a question about point 3. Many people make faucet lists and rotators and they use their referral links there. They advertise it on this forum. Is it a referral spam? I think it a good way for faucets to get some free advertisement and get more traffic. It is a good way for the owners of new faucets to get many people to visit their sites.
I believe that referral spam is only when posting your referral link directly on the forum. If you post your site which contains referral links I doubt it is counted as referral spam.
Activity: 350
Merit: 250
May 02, 2015, 12:03:23 PM
copper member
May 02, 2015, 09:54:58 AM

OP are you 12?

Feel free to contribute with constructive criticism.
legendary
Activity: 2324
Merit: 1267
In Memory of Zepher
May 02, 2015, 09:15:39 AM

OP are you 12?
I've ran several faucets and GPT sites and helped to make some others. Everything in the OP is true.
Sit down.
Activity: 112
May 02, 2015, 09:08:48 AM

OP are you 12?
Activity: 114
PMs blocked, send answers to main.
May 02, 2015, 04:44:54 AM
Thanks for taking the time to make this thread. Maybe talk about the (few) benefits of faucets?

Are there any besides "free" bitcoin? I mean thats the obvious one, you get some coins for work that can be done by almost everyone. I know some people argue that faucets are a good way to understand bitcoin by using and testing them, but I dont see the point to be honest. My main problem with this benefit is that bitcoin behaves differently at different amounts you have available. I used to grind faucets as well and thought bitcoin had a rather highish fee scheme (see risk #1). I think its better to invest a small amount of your local currency into bitcoin in order to see how it behaves, feels and works with everyday amounts.

If you have any specific benefit in mind I can certainly write a paragraph about it and add it.
legendary
Activity: 2072
Merit: 1049
┴puoʎǝq ʞool┴
May 02, 2015, 02:35:25 AM
Pages:
Jump to: