Pages:
Author

Topic: Email from Avalon - page 5. (Read 6063 times)

legendary
Activity: 4116
Merit: 7849
'The right to privacy matters'
April 28, 2016, 05:37:36 PM
I never speculated on who started the price war. Just that Spondoolies lost, because the S5 ended up selling so much cheaper than an SP20. The SP20 was such an ungodly complex machine, I wouldn't be surprised if just the parts cost was higher than the S5's sales price by the end. Their design greatly increased the features and flexibility compared to the S5, but they crippled themselves on efficiency and cost-effectiveness.

Most of the people I heard complain about wanting to buy the 4.1 didn't complain about the price so much as the shipping cost from China. Maybe we were reading different posts, but the consensus I gathered was if Avalon had a North America distributor that didn't add on the order of $100 per unit to ship, there would have been a lot of sales. I'd have probably bought one, and I didn't buy anything last gen.

If they did a deal with blockC  for the avalon 4.1 it would have sold well.

forgetting price  I would rank the 4.1 as the best of the three.
legendary
Activity: 3318
Merit: 1848
Curmudgeonly hardware guy
April 28, 2016, 05:07:24 PM
I never speculated on who started the price war. Just that Spondoolies lost, because the S5 ended up selling so much cheaper than an SP20. The SP20 was such an ungodly complex machine, I wouldn't be surprised if just the parts cost was higher than the S5's sales price by the end. Their design greatly increased the features and flexibility compared to the S5, but they crippled themselves on efficiency and cost-effectiveness.

Most of the people I heard complain about wanting to buy the 4.1 didn't complain about the price so much as the shipping cost from China. Maybe we were reading different posts, but the consensus I gathered was if Avalon had a North America distributor that didn't add on the order of $100 per unit to ship, there would have been a lot of sales. I'd have probably bought one, and I didn't buy anything last gen.
legendary
Activity: 1666
Merit: 1183
dogiecoin.com
April 28, 2016, 04:44:01 PM
But S5 sales broke the back of the SP20, the manufacturing cost of which brought to light a lot of weaknesses in their design philosophy.
It was actually Spondoolies who started the price war, they just wanted to sell them at any cost in order to gain cash for the next gen. That just so happened to be far below what they could possibly have made them for, and above what Bitmain was manufacturing S5s for.

the Ava4.1 would have sold like crazy in North America.
I'm not so sure, its price ceiling was above that of the S5 such that if there was sufficient competition that Bitmain could have squeezed them out. Avalon designs products how they envision they should (think Asian Spodoolies) where as Bitmain has become know for using the absolute 'efficiency' of design. Both are useful and important for a marketplace, both are different.

Hopefully if they do come out with another competitive chip they at least try to make it available to third parties like they did for everyt chip before A3218.
Its highly likely on both counts. Bitmain's [28nm] chip isn't astronomically good and seeing as Bitfury's [16nm] has gone walkies then the bar hasn't been set that high.
legendary
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1000
April 28, 2016, 04:06:37 PM
I want  at least one more 4.1 for fun my power cost are about to go down wouldn't say a lot but enough to run a few 4.1's and get some thing that's about all i can afford right now unless i go into what little coin i have.

i do hope there 16 nm chips they sell us are good i know it won't be cheap, all we can do is hope there .....
legendary
Activity: 1456
April 28, 2016, 03:10:41 PM
It is good news really for home/hobby miner.  Chances are bitmain is working on one to just has not made public.  But having Bitmain and Avalon at least makes it where not just 1 consumer model.

I really want to see specs and price.  They have made good miners in past (4.1 was one of my favorite miners of any due to how quiet it was).   But overall good news, hopefully they follow up with more.
legendary
April 28, 2016, 03:06:15 PM
you mean the  Avalon 6 ?

Isn't the A6 28 nm .

Yes absolutely, I was just checking the price on them ;-)

but that's great news for 16nm chips

my bad good point I'm even temped to buy one or two in a few weeks,

I'm not hoping for bitfury anymore. but will keep up hope that sidehack gets chips some place i have to many miners that need to be upgraded and parts just for those boards.
legendary
April 28, 2016, 02:53:41 PM
16nm chips over the next months.

working on a 16 nm  chip !!! ....

*yawn* Nothing interesting to see here. Bitfury had an announcement like this from December and they don't have them in mass production. *yawn*

Your point with these guys it's way different and what makes you think I'm not aware of bitfury's   BS post is how i see bitfury,

at least bitmain and Avalon when they say every one it's been everyone so far you can count on that and they release it on the dates they give us etc etc ....in other words they come thu .

I made this post more as info ..

legendary
Activity: 1638
Merit: 1005
April 28, 2016, 02:11:30 PM
you mean the  Avalon 6 ?

Isn't the A6 28 nm .

Yes absolutely, I was just checking the price on them ;-)

but that's great news for 16nm chips
legendary
Activity: 1904
Merit: 1007
April 28, 2016, 02:07:13 PM

working on a 16 nm  chip !!! ....

*yawn* Nothing interesting to see here. Bitfury had an announcement like this from December and they don't have them in mass production. *yawn*
legendary
Activity: 4116
Merit: 7849
'The right to privacy matters'
April 28, 2016, 01:03:35 PM
Well I have yet to have bitmaintech compensate me for my batch 1 s-7.

I am running 8 or 9 avalon6's   so I look forward to a better avalon and will continue to support them.

Including helping with group buys etc.
legendary
April 28, 2016, 01:01:44 PM
As unlikely as it is, I'd really like to see an affordable consumer miner out of Spondoolies. If nothing else, those guys knew how to treat a customer. But S5 sales broke the back of the SP20, the manufacturing cost of which brought to light a lot of weaknesses in their design philosophy.
At least in the Western world I think Avalon's gotten better with an English-speaking presence in BlockC; if that partnership existed a year earlier (and could provide reasonable domestic shipping rates) the Ava4.1 would have sold like crazy in North America. No contest the Avalon products are better built that Bitmains, but you do pay for it. Hopefully if they do come out with another competitive chip they at least try to make it available to third parties like they did for everyt chip before A3218.
alh
legendary
Activity: 1843
Merit: 1050
April 28, 2016, 12:53:41 PM
If Avalon's working on something new, that is indeed good news.

I completely agree. Having Bitmain as the "sole" vendor is a poor situation. Yes, the price of the Avalon series has been kind non-competitive most of the time. It does keep Bitmain a bit more "honest" though, kind like Spondoolies did 12-18 months ago.
legendary
April 28, 2016, 12:36:56 PM
If Avalon's working on something new, that is indeed good news.
legendary
April 28, 2016, 12:34:11 PM
you mean the  Avalon 6 ?

Isn't the A6 28 nm .

I only posted that because some have there doublets about Canaan Creative aka Avalon there one of the better company's to deal with all ways have been it's the cost of there miners that kind of turn a lot a way but they do have to date the best built miner used and new i have ever bought, i guess that justly the cost ...
legendary
Activity: 1638
Merit: 1005
April 28, 2016, 12:26:04 PM
Price 2016-04-22   550 USD @1, 450 USD @10, 420 USD @50

Price is not bad for a 10 units. Still higher then the S7 but better build for sure.
legendary
April 28, 2016, 12:18:36 PM
Hi there,

This is Canaan Creative from Beijing, working hard on the
upcoming 16nm SHA-256 mining chips for everybody!

If you are using Twitter: Canaan has started a Twitter feed
where we will post announcements regarding our upcoming

https://twitter.com/canaanio

Please follow, stay tuned,
Canaan

working on a 16 nm  chip !!! ....
Pages:
Jump to: