Pages:
Author

Topic: Email from Dwolla Regarding Reversals - page 5. (Read 10414 times)

rjk
Activity: 448
Merit: 250
1ngldh
April 16, 2012, 05:37:02 PM
Has anyone confirmed whether this affects withdrawals (from mtgox or wherever)? Is ID needed to withdraw from an exchange?
Activity: 308
April 16, 2012, 05:35:51 PM
If you don't like this, cancel your account today, right now.

I just confirmed with Dwolla support that all 4 steps are now a requirement before sending money to MtGox.
- The 30 bank transfer history I have no problem with.  
- Accessing my Facebook and Social Security number is an unnecessary invasion of my privacy that I will not tolerate, and is the main reason I am cancelling my account.
- The fact that they are up-selling their new Hub Pages product is repugnant, particularly that it is a requirement before you can send money to certain people.  

If you have an account and don't want to comply with their bullshit verification, contact support and ask for it to be deleted.  They should feel some pain from this new policy.
legendary
Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002
April 16, 2012, 05:07:31 PM
How is google better?

I didnt like Dwolla after that Tradehill incident. But now I they are dead for me.

I meant Google Authenticator... not Authentication.

Authenticator is an app that generates time-based passwords unique to the given site that implements it.
legendary
Activity: 1022
Merit: 1000
April 16, 2012, 05:02:31 PM
How is google better?

I didnt like Dwolla after that Tradehill incident. But now I they are dead for me.
legendary
April 16, 2012, 04:55:20 PM

1) Connect a social network

Steps like this only hurt Dwolla.  The fraudsters have dummy social network accounts set up.  I guess they may catch a dummy who starts honest then goes rouge and tries to charge back a Dwolla transaction because they would have more information on them.  Probably not though, the bank is most often going to side with the customer.  

Dwolla NEEDS two factor now.  Just fishing for REAL Dwolla accounts and using them to buy BTC is going to be a problem.  Each hack Dwolla account will be worth something so long as Dwolla is accepted by bitcoin exchanges.  Hackers are going to keep pushing Dwolla as long as they sit still.  Paypal has the advantage because they can usually take a payment back in the end.  

Dwolla has two factor, but one is a password, and one is a short, numerical pin.  SMS or Google Authentication would be a step in the right direction.
legendary
Activity: 1386
Merit: 1003
April 16, 2012, 04:51:31 PM

Steps like this only hurt Dwolla.  The fraudsters have dummy social network accounts set up.  I guess they may catch a dummy who starts honest then goes rouge and tries to charge back a Dwolla transaction because they would have more information on them.  Probably not though, the bank is most often going to side with the customer.  

Dwolla NEEDS two factor now.  Just fishing for REAL Dwolla accounts and using them to buy BTC is going to be a problem.  Each hack Dwolla account will be worth something so long as Dwolla is accepted by bitcoin exchanges.  Hackers are going to keep pushing Dwolla as long as they sit still.  Paypal has the advantage because they can usually take a payment back in the end.  
Activity: 798
April 16, 2012, 04:49:03 PM
connect to a social network? for serious? rofl

and affect not effect, shame on you dwolla
Activity: 602
Merit: 512
GLBSE Support [email protected]
April 16, 2012, 04:36:04 PM
a few changes we are rolling out shortly to merchants effected by bank level reversals

So, their "cash-like" system is not really cash-like.

Bitcoin broke Dwolla.

Not really, Dwolla was broke to begin with because it's built on top of the existing (broken) banking system, bitcoin is just after forcing them to face reality.
vip
Activity: 490
Merit: 271
April 16, 2012, 04:32:16 PM
Death of Dwolla. Forcing customers to have a bank activity every thirty days is a fools errand.

Maybe on the next venture, they wouldn't use a linked bank account. Just accept cash deposits via the banks to fund accounts. Then chargebacks are moot.

legendary
Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010
April 16, 2012, 04:27:15 PM
a few changes we are rolling out shortly to merchants effected by bank level reversals

So, their "cash-like" system is not really cash-like.

Bitcoin broke Dwolla.
legendary
Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147
The revolution will be monetized!
April 16, 2012, 03:14:14 PM

Oh great. I'm in an identity theft ring! That counts, right?
April 16, 2012, 02:28:28 PM
Got this in my inbox.

I think this is a good idea, thoughts?

Ouch, #1 kills Dwolla for me. I just hate social networks, unless LinkedIn counts.

Edit: I just see LinkedIn works with Dwolla.

So, Big Brother, here we come, welcome to the brave new world of Bitcoin.

Well an alternative is otc-wot
donator
Activity: 448
April 16, 2012, 12:15:00 PM
Got this in my inbox.

Ouch, #1 kills Dwolla for me. I just hate social networks, unless LinkedIn counts.

Edit: I just see LinkedIn works with Dwolla.

So, Big Brother, here we come, welcome to the brave new world of Bitcoin.
donator
Activity: 296
April 16, 2012, 12:13:38 PM
I think it is a good idea to mitigate fraud, however, what happen to the new bitcoin user that wants to start by quickly funding by Dwolla, does it mean they'll have to wait 30 days to fund their bitinstant account? Or if they have a verified account they can bypass this requirement?

Got this in my inbox.

Hello,
As a merchant in the Dwolla community, we appreciate your shared interest in maintaining a safe and responsible payment network.
We'd like to let you know about a few changes we are rolling out shortly to merchants effected by bank level reversals, caused by identity theft and fraud.

Starting today, users sending money to your account will need to meet and/or maintain:

2) Have a bank deposit 30 days old
3) Enable a DWOLLA hub page
4) Have a verified account
(i.e. Social Security and/or Photo Verified)

We are working hard to make sure this policy does not affect your most frequent, loyal, and responsible customers.

Thanks for being a part of Dwolla. We hope our new changes will protect customers and merchants alike. Please let us know if you have any questions.

All the best,
Dwolla

April 16, 2012, 12:10:43 PM

Does diaspora count? What about non-computerized social networks?

I am an anti-social basement dweller. I don't live in the US, so the point is moot anyway.

Why don't they just ask for a credit check while they are at it? Or is that what point 4 is really for?

Edit: even if I did live in the US, I wouldn't use them: I don't see the point of trying to use an intermediate "vitual currency" to buy Bitcoin (but that is OT).

You're never going to get a method of authentication that will allow EVERYONE to participate and keep out scammers/fraudsters.

The social network option (linked in, facebook) is good for those who use those networks. Depending on how Dwolla does it (do they just friend you or get the ID of all your friends) they could make it a lot harder to defraud the system.
legendary
Activity: 1008
Merit: 1001
Let the chips fall where they may.
April 16, 2012, 12:04:43 PM

Does diaspora count? What about non-computerized social networks?

I am an anti-social basement dweller. I don't live in the US, so the point is moot anyway.

Why don't they just ask for a credit check while they are at it? Or is that what point 4 is really for?

Edit: even if I did live in the US, I wouldn't use them: I don't see the point of trying to use an intermediate "vitual currency" to buy Bitcoin (but that is OT).
legendary
Activity: 1078
Charlie 'Van Bitcoin' Shrem
April 16, 2012, 11:17:55 AM
what is a dwolla hub page ?

It allows one to accept money using their Shopping Cart Interface page

Yep... that part doesn't make any sense to me though.  How does enabling that help keep them from being fraudulent?

Your guess is as good as mine my friend
legendary
April 16, 2012, 11:14:02 AM

Yep... that part doesn't make any sense to me though.  How does enabling that help keep them from being fraudulent?
legendary
Activity: 1078
Charlie 'Van Bitcoin' Shrem
April 16, 2012, 11:07:52 AM

Activity: 770
Merit: 500
You're fat, because you dont have any pics on FB
April 16, 2012, 11:00:15 AM