Pages:
Author

Topic: Ended CardReaderFactory Lancelot Group Purchase due to Seller Business Practice - page 3. (Read 7623 times)

Activity: 243
Merit: 10
Depending on when the order will be place I might be good for 1 atm.
Activity: 472
Merit: 250
Wow I apologize for sucking at reading.  Ok, 2nd PSU goes Molex straight to boards, then paperclip power supply to turn them on, then connect the boards to the main comp via usb, GOT IT! 

Is there an order that I should turn this contraption on?  Like boards first then main comp?

You got it. Connect USB, plug the Lancelot boards in, and paperclip. Fans will spin and OS will detect the boards.
Activity: 35
Merit: 0
Still no response from blackarrow or cardreaderfactory. Going to be resending messages and posting in multiple threads in hope of receiving a response.

Scarab. Im trying to figure this out. I havr an extra psu for this but no extra comp to put it to. All the ones I have running have all their watts used by gpua. So I want the brick. Can I buy a generic brick that will work? Do the splitters come with the boards? And I wojld possibly be interested in a tower unit. But dont the pins they come with allow them to be stacked?

If you have an extra PSU to power the units just connect the lancelot units to the molex connectors and paper clip the 24 pin plug to turn it on. Google, "Paper clip turns on power supply". Or, purchase one of these for $7: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812201037&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-_-pla-_-Internal+Power+Cables-_-N82E16812201037&gclid=CIqBodHO_bYCFcuh4AodvVcAtA

So what your saying there is that I still need the ATX Power Converter right?  Then I have my one main computer that has 4 GPU's running and its own PSU, and I plug in a different PSU to the boards through the ATX Power Converter, and plug all the usb connectors into the main computer I should be fine?  Essentially two PSU's, one to power my GPU's and the other for the FPGA's?  Why would I need that product from NewEgg though?

Sorry for being a noob, I am learning and promise to take everything that I have learned and help others Smiley

This may just be my preference, but I would not power the Lancelot units from the same PSU that is running your computer, except possibly just to run 1 or 2 of the Lancelots (and assuming you have enough unused wattage from your current PSU.)  If you do have enough available unused watts, then you can use the splitter from Newegg he cited to split the power from your current PSU to power one Lancelot.

If you are using an extra PSU, then the spitter he cites will power 2 of the lancelots.  I suppose you could get crazy with the splitters and buy a bunch and keep splitting them to power a bunch of lancelots, but this is not ideal due to daisy chaining a lot of plugged in connectors, and risking that somehwhere in the chain, you get a bad connection, which would affect everything downstream.
Scarab. Im trying to figure this out. I havr an extra psu for this but no extra comp to put it to. All the ones I have running have all their watts used by gpua. So I want the brick. Can I buy a generic brick that will work? Do the splitters come with the boards? And I wojld possibly be interested in a tower unit. But dont the pins they come with allow them to be stacked?

I'm not 100% sure, but the brass standoffs do not seem to come with the Lancelots, hence the idea of making a frame came to me.

http://www.cardreaderfactory.com/shop/bitcoin.html

A generic brick with the right specs should power these.  They sell 12v 10amp bricks on thier site and state that 1 brick powers 4 devices.  They don't state if the brick has 4 output plugs though.  If you view thier ATX splitter page, they give a bunch of options for buying wires with plugs.  I am sure that getting the plugs is not an issue, you simply need the correct size (5.5/2.5mm power plug), and I am assuming that we will need to wire them ourselves.  This is pretty easy soldering. Just get the polarity correct!

So, you buy any bricks with the right specs (input volts 120 for N. America, and 220 for Europe), probably have to cut off the existing 12v output plug, and solder on 4 of the correctly sized plugs in parallel to power 4 of the Lancelots.

Alternatively, you can use a computer ATX power supply (at 600 or more watts), but then you need to figure out how to adapt it to power up to 20 lancelots.  This is where their ATX adapter breakout board comes in handy, which is why some of us asked for this.  Their breakout board is a bit unusual in that it has 20 of the 12V outputs.  You buy 20 of their wires + plugs and simply screw the bare wire ends into the green terminals.  You then plug a 600 watt ATX power supply (personally, would use a 700 watt) and you can plug 20 lancelots into it.  You can plug less in (say like 10 lancelots) if you prefer, so then you need only 300 watts (or preferably 350 watts).

Hardware installation:

1, connect the Power cable, use Molex-D-type connector or 5.5/2.5mm power plug. please do not use both of them.

As another option, we make our own, or find an off-the-shelf ATX breakout board.  Possibly this might work http://www.robotshop.com/cytron-atx-power-supply-breakout-board-right-angle-2.html though it does not have 20 of the 12V outputs.

I am not sure what the 5 (or 6?) caps on the cardreaderfactory ATX breakout board are for.  If anyone knows, please let me know.  Possibly they are just to help smooth out the 12V output.  If that's the case, then it would be easy to add some caps to a generic breakout board.

The above options assume you don't mind doing a little soldering.  THis is easy soldering, not like trying to solder SMT components or anything tricky.
legendary
Activity: 2786
Merit: 1011
Get Paid Crypto To Walk or Drive
Wow I apologize for sucking at reading.  Ok, 2nd PSU goes Molex straight to boards, then paperclip power supply to turn them on, then connect the boards to the main comp via usb, GOT IT! 

Is there an order that I should turn this contraption on?  Like boards first then main comp?
legendary
Still no response from blackarrow or cardreaderfactory. Going to be resending messages and posting in multiple threads in hope of receiving a response.

If you have an extra PSU to power the units just connect the lancelot units to the molex connectors and paper clip the 24 pin plug to turn it on. Google, "Paper clip turns on power supply". Or, purchase one of these for $7: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812201037&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-_-pla-_-Internal+Power+Cables-_-N82E16812201037&gclid=CIqBodHO_bYCFcuh4AodvVcAtA

So what your saying there is that I still need the ATX Power Converter right?  Then I have my one main computer that has 4 GPU's running and its own PSU, and I plug in a different PSU to the boards through the ATX Power Converter, and plug all the usb connectors into the main computer I should be fine?  Essentially two PSU's, one to power my GPU's and the other for the FPGA's?  Why would I need that product from NewEgg though?

Sorry for being a noob, I am learning and promise to take everything that I have learned and help others Smiley

legendary
Put me down for 1 if the group is still open. I too need to find a way to convert fiat -> btc though atm.

Let me know when you have.

Alright, have most of the BTC.
https://blockchain.info/address/1swagRTAax1nny6zJbtukYVVWYJkm3zKg
Just need to wait for my litecoin transaction to confirm so I can trade to Bitcoin as well.
http://explorer.litecoin.net/tx/9380ec355ce4512153b2012dda933e80a54616fdb72715031fa63e617a87fc3e

I'll add you to the list.
Activity: 223
Merit: 100
Put me down for 1 if the group is still open. I too need to find a way to convert fiat -> btc though atm.

Alright, have most of the BTC.
https://blockchain.info/address/1swagRTAax1nny6zJbtukYVVWYJkm3zKg
Just need to wait for my litecoin transaction to confirm so I can trade to Bitcoin as well.
http://explorer.litecoin.net/tx/9380ec355ce4512153b2012dda933e80a54616fdb72715031fa63e617a87fc3e
Guys, these cards don't require anything special to power them.  They take 30 watts (according to blackarrow) each.  He posted in another thread that a 600watt atx can power 20 units.  
http://www.newegg.com/Power-Supplies/SubCategory/ID-58?nm_mc=EMCPB-052013&cm_mmc=EMCPB-052013-_-PB050413-_-index-_-txt

Personally, I would get a slightly larger power supply.  If they don't have the ATX power splitter boards in stock at the time of our order, we can look into making them ourselves.  I started searching by googleing "ATX breakout board" (but without quotes)

The cards appear to have a 2 conductor DC jack on them, so you just have to find the appropriate size plug.  Blackarrow also says the cards have a molex type D connector.

So, one of the 12v 10a bricks they sell on their site can power about 4 cards.  You can probably get a generic brick off of Amazon or Newegg.  Backarrow says that the shipping for the bricks is more than they are worth.

Also, I would like to gauge interest in the following idea:  I am buying a quantity of Lancelots and I want to stack them.  I am going to create a open frame that mounts the lancelot, and the cooling fans.  It will be an extruded aluminum frame, probably with 3D printed brackets.  Anyone interested in buying kits of these from me?  I don't have a price yet, as I have to price out the parts.  It won't be a lot though.  Probably a lot less than $70, but that's very tentative.  I would only ship to USA as well.

Ah blackbarrow has posted in his selling thread - did he reply to your email / PM ?

I noticed that as well. He hasn't responded to my PM. That's all we're waiting on at this point in time.

- Escrow availability
- ATX power converter availability
- Order time on a large purchase

Once those questions are answered I'll close the group purchase.
Just deposited OKPay to Mtgox, gonna buy some coins,
also gotta sell some litecoin.
legendary
I guess depending on what the answer is towards the Power Supply issue, I would increase my order to 8 of them.  Might as well if I have to get 2 bricks anyway.  I understand that I would have to order those two bricks seperately, but if that is what it comes down to, increase my number from 5 to 8.

THanks,

Sorry to be a bother.  But it seems less efficient to have 1 brick powering just one device.  And let me make sure I have that right.  If I get 8 devices, and 2 bricks, then it should come with everything else needed to plug into my computer and start hashing?  Does anyone know a good setup guide?  Or have any other advice on what might need to be done to get these hashing as soon as possible?

Ah blackbarrow has posted in his selling thread - did he reply to your email / PM ?

I noticed that as well. He hasn't responded to my PM. That's all we're waiting on at this point in time.

- Escrow availability
- ATX power converter availability
- Order time on a large purchase

Once those questions are answered I'll close the group purchase.
Activity: 122
blackbarrow has been AFF (away from forum) for more than 2 days now. Sad

I've noticed.... I sent a message containing my quesstions on cardreaderfactory's website. Hopefully, one of the two will respond soon.

put me for 2 units

PM sent.
Activity: 42
Activity: 122
blackbarrow has been AFF (away from forum) for more than 2 days now. Sad
i want 1 unit Smiley how i can pay ?

I'll add you to the list. Please reread the first post in regards to payment method. Payments will be accepted upon receiving an answer from blackarrow about escrow, power adapter availability, and the time line on placing a large order.
Pages:
Jump to: