Author

Topic: [ESHOP launched] Trezor: Bitcoin hardware wallet - page 256. (Read 965789 times)

legendary
Activity: 1638
Merit: 1001
₪``Campaign Manager´´₪
Awesome project slush!  I think you are really tackling one of the important hurdles bitcoin faces for easy adoption by bigger crowds.  Here is me hoping the device won't be too expensive, so it can gain widespread distribution.
legendary
Activity: 1386
Merit: 1097
If you do this through some intermediary and attach a finished product to a certain amount donated, I think you'll get a lot of funding!

Every day people are asking me how they can help us with this project. That's why I published this donation address, because in bitcoin world, sending even small donation is the easiest way to explain someone's support and interest. Time for preorders will come later, when we'll be absolutely sure that we can fulfill our obligations.
Activity: 743
Merit: 500
nice project can't wait to used
one idea:
tag your project donations address on Address Tags
legendary
Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002
Donations are welcome at 1BitkeyP2nDd5oa647AjvBbbwST54W5Zmx :-). Coins will be used by me and stick to fund&build first prototypes.

If you do this through some intermediary and attach a finished product to a certain amount donated, I think you'll get a lot of funding!
legendary
Donations are welcome at 1BitkeyP2nDd5oa647AjvBbbwST54W5Zmx :-). Coins will be used by me and stick to fund&build first prototypes.

legendary
Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002
legendary
Video of Reprap printing the prototype ;-)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uYW3ks0WwA
legendary
First casing prototype has been printed! The model is optimized for CNC/metal, not for 3D printing/plastic, so some parts are a bit malformed (especially the eyelet and edges). However, now we see that the device can be even smaller than we expected and our designer is making another version which will be 50x35mm!

donator
Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019
could you post a photo of the back of the coin in the casascius thread? (https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/casascius-physical-bitcoin-in-stock-now-pic-41892). People are interested how a coin will degrade, especially the firstbits of series 1.

This coin is already redeemed. As far as I can say, wearing the coin in the wallet with other coins is not-so-good-idea :-(.

yeah. series 2 should be better, though, because the firstbits is actually behind the hologram (little window in it)
legendary
Activity: 1708
Merit: 1066
Those displays are tiny !

Really looking forward to these devices coming out.
Crypto made real.
legendary
could you post a photo of the back of the coin in the casascius thread? (https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/casascius-physical-bitcoin-in-stock-now-pic-41892). People are interested how a coin will degrade, especially the firstbits of series 1.

This coin is already redeemed. As far as I can say, wearing the coin in the wallet with other coins is not-so-good-idea :-(.
donator
Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019
We've just received first batch of displays. They're pretty tiny :-)

P.S. Casascius coin after wearing it in my wallet for one year ;-).

legendary
We've just received first batch of displays. They're pretty tiny :-)

P.S. Casascius coin after wearing it in my wallet for one year ;-).
legendary
Activity: 2128
Merit: 1065
with the handy drawer-o-cables-and-adapters within arm's reach.
EU-landia has since 2009 a law requiring that a cellphone sold there needs to be rechargable through the micro-USB port.  So maybe not every household does have micro-USB to USB cable, but the situation is on the way to where it becomes ubiquitous.

Hopefully the less progressive lands (like the USA) will join this standard sometime this century. Or maybe not. But there's no need for a device targeted for a global acceptance to specifically pander to the backward.
Activity: 262
Merit: 250
any idea about how expensive could be the final price? just an approximation

legendary
Activity: 938
Merit: 1000

But it looks like that's a female USB mini/micro-B connector, which means you need a cable in order to use it.  Is that true, or am I mistaken?  I kinda think most people would prefer a device that's cable-wise self-sufficient (like Yubikeys) so they don't have to go hunting around for the right type of cable.

Due to the size of the device (is near twice the width of a standard USB key)  is better to have a cable: lot of notebooks/netbooks have usb ports in weird locations, not all desktop PC have a frontal working usb port, and anyway have the piglet (or how is called now) few inches from floor don't make easy to operate with it; and if the device can work with smartphones too they have only micro-usb. So having a micro-usb female is IMHO the right choice for most of the situations. And adding the lenght of the male usb connector will add other 20mm to the lenght, and with 80mm of overall length it will become as big as credit card.
donator
Activity: 980
Merit: 1004
felonious vagrancy, personified
First preview of the design. Dimensions are 60x40x10 mm.

Hey cool!

But it looks like that's a female USB mini/micro-B connector, which means you need a cable in order to use it.  Is that true, or am I mistaken?  I kinda think most people would prefer a device that's cable-wise self-sufficient (like Yubikeys) so they don't have to go hunting around for the right type of cable.

One of the big advantages of a device like this with its own display and buttons is that it's safe (*) to connect it to machines you don't trust, which means people will probably want to use it when they aren't at their own home/office/whatever with the handy drawer-o-cables-and-adapters within arm's reach.

Neat stuff!

(*) I suppose a hostile computer could take the signed transaction and throw it away.  Not sure if the device keeps copies of stuff it signs.
legendary
Activity: 1106
I'm not actually expert on biometrics but I've done some research on it for work and producer of scanner told me so. Low cost scanner integrated in laptop works that way, so some bank door opener. They have a small database of path and check on it it there is corrispondence.

Wait, but if you need a database of paths, it means the scan alone is not enough to produce the exact same path that was produced before for that individual. You're back to "comparing images".
Unless you mean they use a database of path hashes, in which case the scan would have to produce the exact same path before hashing. The scan would be just like a password, and could then be used as an encryption key, provided there's enough entropy in fingerprints - in case there isn't, it could be added to an actual password.
legendary
Activity: 938
Merit: 1000
You're true for a hash of the full image, but fingerprint scanner actually save only a "path" of the minutiaes of the fingerprints. And using that work in a reliable way.

You mean that, for a given individual, you can always obtain the same unique "path"?

I'm not actually expert on biometrics but I've done some research on it for work and producer of scanner told me so. Low cost scanner integrated in laptop works that way, so some bank door opener. They have a small database of path and check on it it there is corrispondence. Is fast and quite secure: while a full identify request a check on lots of points (15-16 actually), just few minutiaes are sufficient for the login pourpose (with 10 point you've over 1 milion of different pattern possible, with 8  65536).
legendary
Activity: 1106
You're true for a hash of the full image, but fingerprint scanner actually save only a "path" of the minutiaes of the fingerprints. And using that work in a reliable way.

You mean that, for a given individual, you can always obtain the same unique "path"?

BTW to avoid physical coericion there is a  way, even not too difficult to implement: some times ago I've a phone with an encrypted area in which store password and pins. If you input the good password you decrypt the area, if you put a wrong one you obtain an error, but if you put a "special" one you go into a fake area with other data. Maybe is possible, for extra-paranoid implement a similar approach: one pin for real wallet, another one for another with only few BTC in it.
But again we are talking of extra-paranoid people here. IMHO slush design is more than adeguate.

That's plausible deniability, or more specifically, deniable encryption. Truecrypt does it.
I'd expect future dedicated device wallets to implement this, but as you note it's not a priority, at least not while most burglars remain ignorant about bitcoin. Smiley
Jump to: