Pages:
Author

Topic: Ethereum: 2nd gen cryptocurrency with contract programming, "dagger" hashing - page 2. (Read 84312 times)

legendary
Activity: 2142
Merit: 1131
the second issue is the same  I raised for mastercoin and no one has given an answer
say everything about etherium is true, what is the advantages of owning 1 or 100 if what I am getting is access to a bundle of programable switches.
A clone will just come out with all the switches available for any fraction of a coin, or is near free. For example I don't pay much for the bundle of switches that is javascript to make my gmail function

Yes ! that's what I meant earlier !
What is all that IPO money for if other altcoins do the same services for cheap or even free ??

What are we paying for ? Devs good time ? Drugs & Prostitutes ?
legendary
Activity: 1120
Merit: 1000
crowd funding starts in seven days according to new countdown on website, so I guess some selected people will get 2x coins this week, rest got to wait.

Well that sounds unfair, so I guess it isn't technically an IPO if only a few people can buy

It was my understanding that anyone could take advantage of the 2000 per BTC rate, is that not the case?

AFAIK the minimum investment is 0.1 BTC and anybody with at least that much BTC is free to invest. I haven't seen any restrictions at all, other than a) the deadline is March 31, and b) no more than 30,000 BTC may be invested. So I guess if a few huge whales invest in the first hour of the IPO they could shut it down early by fulfilling the capital requirements, but otherwise the opportunity is open to anybody who wants to take advantage of it.

So how is anyone able to invest and take advantage of the 2000ETH - 1BTC?  I don't see that info posted anywhere.

I'm assuming that once the clock reaches zero, there will be a link on their website? I really don't know anything beyond what I've read here and there.
Activity: 238
Merit: 100
So, this coin can not be mined? Or this is not a coin at all? Lol, I have read it and still have absolutely no clue what it is. It requires people to invest it in first with a minimum of 0.1 btc? That makes me uneasy, but that's probably just because I do not understand it.
legendary
Activity: 1470
Merit: 1004
crowd funding starts in seven days according to new countdown on website, so I guess some selected people will get 2x coins this week, rest got to wait.

Well that sounds unfair, so I guess it isn't technically an IPO if only a few people can buy

It was my understanding that anyone could take advantage of the 2000 per BTC rate, is that not the case?

AFAIK the minimum investment is 0.1 BTC and anybody with at least that much BTC is free to invest. I haven't seen any restrictions at all, other than a) the deadline is March 31, and b) no more than 30,000 BTC may be invested. So I guess if a few huge whales invest in the first hour of the IPO they could shut it down early by fulfilling the capital requirements, but otherwise the opportunity is open to anybody who wants to take advantage of it.

So how is anyone able to invest and take advantage of the 2000ETH - 1BTC?  I don't see that info posted anywhere.
Activity: 448
Merit: 250
black swan hunter
But this means that the valuation they're raising at is NOT fixed. Since the post-money valuation is 1.5X BTC, and the investors put in X BTC, the pre-money valuation must be 0.5X BTC. But that's not a fixed number: the more interest in the IPO, the higher the resulting valuation they raise money at (in direct linear proportion). If 1000 BTC of money wants to get in, then investors are collectively valuing the existing company at 500 BTC. But if 10,000 BTC wants to get in, then it must mean the company was worth 5,000 BTC initially. That's definitely not the way startups typically raise money, but it is not completely absurd, either. The more VCs that are competing to put money into a startup, the higher the valuation is going to be. The difference here, though, is that all the money doesn't go in at once. Only the people who invest BTC at the very end of the 60-day window will know approximately the actual valuation at which they're investing. The people who invest early on, might think they're getting 1% of the resulting company, but end up only getting 0.1% of the company.

If they chose to, the founders could address this in two ways. One way is to have an explicit pre-money valuation cap, of, say, 5,000 BTC. Then, the founders would receive min (0.5X, 5000) BTC worth of Ether, but they could end up owning less than 1/3 of the company. The other way would be to put a cap on the amount they're willing to raise in the IPO. If they committed to raise no more than 10,000 BTC, then the pre-money valuation is capped at 5,000 BTC, but the founders also guarantee they will still own 1/3 of the resulting company. This would be easy to do: simply return investments once 10,000 BTC had been reached. The benefit of both these approaches is that ALL investors, early and late, know the maximum they are paying for the company.

I do think it would be wise for the founders to do something of this nature, since it strains the imagination that a company which hasn't actually yet launched a product should be worth more than about $10 million (and even by Silicon Valley standards, that's a stretch). There's also a limit to how much and how quickly a large amount of capital could actually be effectively used. If they somehow raise $100M of BTC, it'd be awfully tempting just to split it up and go sit on a beach in a non-extradition country somewhere...  So, just spare yourselves the temptation, guys. :-)

Good points, but the lower cost per share at the beginning of the funding compensates for the additional risk of not knowing the final dilution. It also allows investment at any level. Raising more capital is good as long as it can be put to use by accelerating development with concurrent engineering, so the increased rate of ROI offsets the increased dilution. If there is to be a maximum total investment, a Google style IPO with Dutch Auction makes sense, but it does favor large investors over small ones.

I'm glad this is not a typical SV start-up, since with Ethereum, everyone has a change to enter at the initial seed round in very sall tranches instead of just Angels and VCs in large tranches.

nobody read this massive wall of text
Confirmed.

I did. That's why I use a desktop computer - to READ and LEARN things. Go back to your mobile device, watch Youtube, watch the Tweets come in for the attention-span challenged, and keep up with your Facebook page.
Activity: 221
I am most interested in the syntax of the Ethereum scripting language.  The capacity to write cryptofinance scripts/programs/contracts is the real value proposition here.  The success of Ethereum will lie primarily with its adoption by programmers and the writers of such code and the resulting community's ability to compete with other, similar ventures.

Vitalik is a genius.  If you are considering backing Ethereum as an investor or a developer and you have not already done so, consider reading some of his articles for Bitcoin Magazine: http://bitcoinmagazine.com/author/vitalik-buterin/

He is impressively articulate and eloquent for a writer of any age, let alone a young man who is 19 years of age.

Hopefully, in the near future we will learn more about the nuts and bolts of the operation so that a broader-based community effort to build supporting infrastructures can begin.
legendary
Activity: 2618
Merit: 1022
the second issue is the same  I raised for mastercoin and no one has given an answer

say everything about etherium is true, what is the advantages of owning 1 or 100 if what I am getting is access to a bundle of programable switches.

A clone will just come out with all the switches available for any fraction of a coin, or is near free. For example I don't pay much for the bundle of switches that is javascript to make my gmail function
legendary
Activity: 2618
Merit: 1022
sooo etherum, how will it not bloat itself out of existence?
Activity: 126
This IPO thing is too complex. I once read if you can't understand an investment, don't invest in it. For that reason, I'm out.
legendary
Activity: 1256
Merit: 1009

I thought the IPO price was going to be $0.08 USD per ether?

It doesn't matter whether the Ethereum people make it 10000 BTC per ETH or

If it doesn't matter then why did they increase the price from $0.08 to $0.82 ?

-B-0

+1  You guys keep saying ETH per BTC doesn't matter.  Then why are you changing it from the initial whitepaper #'s?  It matters when we are talking about fees and it matters when we are talking about mining vs IPO purchase.  The whole announcement thing was BS and it seems like this 19 year old doesn't really know which directions he's going.  Is it POW or is it POS?   

It's not cool to keep dragging the man's age into the discussion. If you think he is too young and unpredictable then the best course of action is to stay away from this project. Also he is but one among 4 officially stated founders and perhaps one among a larger group of developers involved in this project...

Yeah ... I have something to say to this.  19 years old is PERFECT for this project.  I'm 28.  In this ever more rapidly evolving world it is going to take some one who's mind hasn't been polluted with the traditional way of doing things to have a nimble enough thought process to pull something like this off.  There are ever larger generation gaps in shorter periods of time - there are at least two between his and my age.

Reading over his few posts they are well synthesized.  Understanding him taking real world concepts and incorporating them into technology.  Vs just getting lost in "what we can do"

I am not a low level developer.  More of a business \ scripting dabbler.  But in my experience it is rare to have somebody apply as many real world concepts to a project as what I've seen him write about AND be a genuis.  He is bucking some of the cryptocurrency tradition in favor of other traditional business / economical concepts - it's a rare mixture of both.
legendary
WTF start in 7 days?? why?
Breaking deadlines always bad sign.

What deadlines were broken? The ethereum.org webpage originally had a countdown timer with no indication as to what that timer actually meant.
legendary
Activity: 2142
Merit: 1131
this absurd and complex IPO for a locked inflationary currency
the maker is in high school
Borderline fud...  Vitalik dropped out of the University of Waterloo to pursue cryptocurrency

I didn't know that but my point was : the only thing people and media will talk about is the young age of the creator as the main characteristic of this crypto.

So I was saying, apart from that, what do we have here ?

EDIT :

DAC/smart contracts system will soon be released in Nxt and probably other crypto. What will be left for Ethereum ?

If I am asking all these questions, it is because I was really enthusiastic a the start and wanted to invest but like every investment you need to know exactly what you give your money for. Everyone should do the same.
Activity: 644
Merit: 500
WTF start in 7 days?? why?
Breaking deadlines always bad sign.
Activity: 644
Limited resources = electricity gets more expensive = mining isn't as profitable = fewer miners waste electricity mining.
I'm afraid it's can't work like that. It's looks kinda "black hole": new BTCs could be sold only at price that cover up bills (hardware+electricity) for proditable mining, as long as demand exists (Bitcoin have benefits vs other payment systerms), price'll grow. How much % of miners doing non-profitable mining, just for ideals? I'm sure it's a low % of hashpower (and maybe a low % of people as well).

So there'll be no reasonable equilibrium in foreseeble future, we've miners wanna do profitable business and arms race. Take creation of ASICs as proof. Idealists'd be still mining at CPUs.

Personally I see no bright future for PoW and looking into other PoX. Maybe PoS'll win, maybe other Proof-of'll do.
Activity: 99
Merit: 10
Well this is depressing news.  I was really looking forward to this coin.

Back to mining pump and dumps.
Activity: 574

Invictus is doing things a little differently with their Angel Shares initiative. Certain number of shares are released each day and donators for that day are rewarded proportionally. Hopefully the whale thing doesn't happen with Etherium. There will be an outcry if it does.
legendary

Activity: 574

legendary
Activity: 1470
Merit: 1004

Pages:
Jump to: