Pages:
Author

Topic: Ethereum: 2nd gen cryptocurrency with contract programming, "dagger" hashing - page 6. (Read 84312 times)

legendary
Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002
Bitcoin is new, makes sense to hodl.
/cpp-ethereum/libethereum/Common.cpp:28:18: fatal error: sha3.h: No such file or directory
 #include
                  ^
compilation terminated.
make[2]: *** [libethereum/CMakeFiles/ethereum.dir/Common.cpp.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [libethereum/CMakeFiles/ethereum.dir/all] Error 2
make: *** [all] Error 2

trying to build on ubuntu saucy. what is this sha3 thing
Activity: 196
Merit: 100
Has the clock been pushed forward another week on http://ethereum.org/? I thought the clock was counting down to 24th.
Activity: 966
Merit: 501
when and how can i purchase Ethereum?
Activity: 308
I'm thinking about investing into Wookiedoo, but I have to wonder, would putting my money into mining hardware be more effective? Or would the best strategy be to split the investment between IPO and hardware? Also, to confirm, this revaluation of the IPO means than 10x less ether ( than under the old IPO value) will ever be created?

Definitely invest in mining hardware.  If the whole thing tanks tomorrow you'll still be able to sell the hardware. If you join the IPO, you could lose it all.
legendary
Activity: 2142
Merit: 1009
I would like to know how Ethereum blocks will be orphaned. All processed contracts from an orphaned block will be rolled back step by step from Z to A? Looks too difficult if possible at all...
Activity: 28
Merit: 0
Ethereum wouldn't work as well as pure pos because it needs miners to process contracts. Unlike most other coins the main focus of ethereum seems to be on running contract based scrypts. In my opinion this will develop into a system of apps directly integrated with a decentralized economy.
Activity: 350
tl;dr

How do I mine this bitch?

http://www.ursium.com/install-ethereum-osx-mining/

Windows instructions are in the comments.

I installed it on my Mac (10.9), and it works, albeit it's a test and not really mining anything.
Activity: 48
tl;dr

How do I mine this bitch?
Activity: 826
Merit: 500
I'm thinking about investing into Wookiedoo, but I have to wonder, would putting my money into mining hardware be more effective? Or would the best strategy be to split the investment between IPO and hardware? Also, to confirm, this revaluation of the IPO means than 10x less ether ( than under the old IPO value) will ever be created?
Activity: 420
Merit: 250
Kamehameha!!!
I don't know why POS has such a bad reputation. I think founders hsould only recieve a small percentage like 5-10% and investors should be given the chance to invest on a pre determined scale like 1-10BTC have the IPO for at least 1 month so anyone interested can be involved and then let the chips fall where they will. I don't see anything unfair about it...How they have been done have been unfair, ie ending an IPO too quickly or founders getting too much percentage. If you keep it open then its actually completely fair and so early investors take the risk that their earlier entry might be diluted by the masses or not. You don't need to set an early price, just break up the genesis block from the investors.

Make Etherium a pure POS and do it properly then who can complain? Its a win win for everyone. Mining is stupid...We mine minerals from the ground cause we have to, not by choice....
Activity: 82
Merit: 10
I am interested and curious.
also feel it some mysterious.
hope to be surprised.
legendary
Activity: 1232
Merit: 1011
Monero Evangelist
legendary
Activity: 1442
Merit: 1001
The price of ether just shot up to 10x?  Huh

it was 10000 ether per BTC but now 1000 ether per BTC...

what ipo ended already? where?

1) The IPO hasn't even begun yet.
2) The initial price isn't important since the number of Ether issued to founders, investors and miners is all a proportional distribution.
Activity: 20
Pretty messed up seeing people discussing Ethereum on here from the point of view of "coin and profit," instead of "platform and possibilities." I guess it's mostly the same newbies that still see Bitcoin as just a coin/commodity to invest in, and not a financial platform to develop on top of. Personally, I would invest 20BTC in things like BitMessage and OpenTransactions, despite their "coins" themselves not having any value, just because the possibilities they offer as platforms are enormous! I will be investing in this as well. Not because of the possible return on the coins (though I suspect that will still be substantial), and not even because of the initially proposed technology (which, as someone pointed out, is similar to some other coins out there), but because of the team involved. Ask any top VC out there. They don't invest in ideas, they invest in people. It's also why Bitcoin will always be top coin, despite other altcoins constantly coming out with little fixes here and there. The quality, and quantity, of people working on it is way superior to any other alternatives.

As for PoS, I really hope Ethereum doesn't take that route. PoW "decentralizes" the act of securing the currency from the currency itself. With PoW, I have a choice to either invest in the currency itself by buying it directly, OR invest in securing the currency by using it to buy mining hardware. There is also absolutely nothing to prevent a new miner from entering and competing with others, regardless of how many coins others hold. As a wealthy coin holder, I can't prevent a PoW miner from coming in and continuing to enforce rules on how I can spend my coins. The most I can do is spend some of my coins to buy some hardware and join him.
PoW I think you meant POS, on the other hand, incentivises, and in fact directs, the flow of money to one or few people, since you invest in "mining" by holding the coins themselves, and continue to increase your wealth by having those same coins collect even more coins. Threat of 51% in PoW is quickly resolved by having miners switch pools and redistribute themselves. Threat of a 51% in PoS can't be fixed by having mining wealth redistributed. Worst case end-game scenario in PoS is wealthy PoS miners continuing to accumulate wealth until they get a majority of the stake, while allowing users to become more and more dependent on their PoS coins, then the wealthy few pool their resources together, create a single, completely controling PoS stake, and change the coin to do whatever they want, including causing it to inflate. If you think PoS owners will be incentivized not to inflate away their wealth, think again. Central Banks around the world are PoS systems, and they do just that, printing more and more to buy up more and more assets, while letting those they sell their inflating money to pay for the inflation.

To me, POW is such a waste of resources, we are spending millions on resources to mine BTC, it doesn't seem like the direction we should continue heading as the world struggles with limited resources.  The amount of power wasted mining BTC is absolutely atrocious.  Regarding your concerns with POS, read up on Transparent Forging.  POW is completely susceptible to corporate control, look at the mining pools, you are close to 51% with Ghash.io alone.  Meanwhile I'm forging Nxt right now on my RasPi.

+10
Activity: 21

What are you talking about, source?

think he feels that ether is the old term of "ether"

but according to the reddit

"It's not a price increase. It's a redenomination. We are renaming the ether the wookiedoo, we are saying it's 20000 wookiedoo for 1 BTC, and we are introducing a new unit called an "ether" where 1 ether = 10 wookiedoo. Everyone gets 10x less "ether", INCLUDING the premine."

ether is now called the wookiedoo...  Tongue
Activity: 420
Kamehameha!!!

What are you talking about, source?
Activity: 56
Love the raspberry pi thing. Going to make one myself.
Activity: 924
Merit: 1001
Unlimited Free Crypto

what ipo ended already? where?
Activity: 328

The fact that people like this are investing in anything at all blows my mind.  It makes no difference how many ether you get for your bitcoin.  What matters is your share of the initial investment pool.
JMG
Activity: 47

Pages:
Jump to: