Pages:
Author

Topic: EVERYONE CALM DOWN - page 2. (Read 14315 times)

Activity: 514
Merit: 500
September 19, 2011, 04:20:56 PM
its correlated. but not as we know it
legendary
Activity: 2128
Merit: 1073
September 19, 2011, 03:36:49 PM
I would like to point out that your proposition conflates the mathematical and the rhetorical sense of 'correlation'. And that you seem to be drawing several false equivalences.
No, actually I'm speaking mathematically.

What you call "rhetorical correlation", I'll call correlation to the events that are assigned "tail" probability in your models (2% 5%). In other words, your model is 98% or 95% of the time correct. When it isn't correct it will create loses on the same order of magnitude like the profits you are creating.

Price of BTC in USD simply doesn't obey the assumptions of "law of large numbers". This is the common fallacy of using linear statistics in finance.
legendary
Activity: 2128
Merit: 1073
September 19, 2011, 02:45:50 PM
Regardless of Nagle's wisdom...

Bitcoin can not be thought of in the same way you think of a stock. It is a non-correlated asset class all its own. And as such, there is value for purposes of risk diversification in the fact that is it non-correlated.

A sentiment I find myself in agreement with.
And I'm with John Nagle. The security itself is provably quite uncorrelated. But the promotional activities that sorround it are highly correlated with the "caveat emptor" section of pink sheets.

http://www.otcmarkets.com/otc-101/otc-market-tiers
http://www.otcmarkets.com/otc-101/caveat-emptor

I particularly like that they have a special logo for that tier of securities:
has been labeled Caveat Emptor for one of the following reasons:

■Questionable Promotion — The security is being promoted to the public, but adequate current information about the issuer has not been made available to the public.
■Spam — The security is the subject of spam promotion having the effect of encouraging trading of the issuer's securities.
■Investigation of Fraud — There is a known investigation of fraudulent activity involving the company, its securities or insiders.
■Suspension/Halt — A Regulatory Authority has halted or suspended trading for public interest concerns (i.e. not a news or earning halt).
■Disruptive Corporate Actions — The security or issuer is the subject of corporate actions, such as reverse mergers or serial stocks splits and name changes, without adequate current information being publicly available.
■Unsolicited Quotes — The security has only been quoted on an unsolicited basis since it entered the public markets and the issuer has not made adequate current information available to the public.
■Other Public Interest Concern — There is, in OTC Markets' view, a public interest concern.
I edited to correct the links.
Activity: 112
Merit: 11
Hillariously voracious
September 19, 2011, 01:36:14 PM
Regardless of Nagle's wisdom...

Bitcoin can not be thought of in the same way you think of a stock. It is a non-correlated asset class all its own. And as such, there is value for purposes of risk diversification in the fact that is it non-correlated.

A sentiment I find myself in agreement with.
N12
donator
Activity: 1610
Merit: 1010
September 19, 2011, 12:54:13 PM
Nagle, how do you feel about Gold? It doesn’t pay any dividend either, and its industrial and economic use is very limited.

Is this a pyramid scheme as well?
legendary
Activity: 1204
Merit: 1002
September 19, 2011, 12:48:33 PM
as a stock investor I remember many .com stocks that went up during during the tech bubble era with an almost identical chart to bitcoin. I remember all the "hopes and future earnings" that never came most people that bought and hold sold out at 0..

Me too; I'm the guy who did "downside.com" and automatically tracked the cash flow of public dot-coms as they went to 0.

With Bitcoin, there are no potential future earnings.  Yes, if Bitcoin was mostly used for transactions with some speculation, it might at least hold its value. But the reality is the other way round. As a zero-sum speculative vehicle, it's a pyramid scheme.
Activity: 462
Merit: 250
September 19, 2011, 12:36:31 PM
it's connected to drug trade(silkroad) and when that went down so did much of the interest in bitcoin.
  I largely agree with your comment, but I'm curious as to what you mean when you say silk road went down.  Is the server no longer working?
legendary
Activity: 1692
Merit: 1018
September 19, 2011, 03:33:55 AM
as a stock investor I remember many .com stocks that went up during during the tech bubble era with an almost identical chart to bitcoin. I remember all the "hopes and future earnings" that never came most people that bought and hold sold out at 0..

Now I sit here and look at bitcoin and really let's be honest it's worth no one near these levels fundamentally, it is poorly(at best) accepted in the online world, it's connected to drug trade(silkroad) and when that went down so did much of the interest in bitcoin.

Your views are dangerously logical and rational, and have no place in the Speculation forum  Cheesy
Activity: 154
Merit: 100
September 19, 2011, 03:07:36 AM
as a stock investor I remember

most people that bought and hold sold out at 0..

Something seems fishy here.
Activity: 182
September 19, 2011, 02:59:28 AM

Now I sit here and look at bitcoin and really let's be honest it's worth no one near these levels fundamentally, it is poorly(at best) accepted in the online world, it's connected to drug trade(silkroad) and when that went down so did much of the interest in bitcoin.

Sorry to say  I think  the actual value of bitcoin is worth less then a buck and that's being generous since if it reaches under a buck it will likely fall much lower.

I love trading penny stocks in the real stock market where a stock goes from $40 to $0.04 and people on the message boards are screaming about "Massive rally to $0.08" incoming, ignoring the fact a year ago it was at $40!!"

Also what does not help is MTGOX is a bunch of amateurs and anyone with large money should not and apparently no longer trusts that place, the other exchanges have such pathetic volume they should just say "mercy" and shut down

Activity: 809
Merit: 501
Always verify deals with me through my public key!
September 19, 2011, 02:48:04 AM
Blood on the streets! Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
Activity: 125
September 18, 2011, 09:44:00 PM
FEAR PHASE BEGINNING.

LOL
Activity: 504
Decent Programmer to boot!
September 17, 2011, 01:21:18 AM
Panick, sell your bitcoins and all your mining hardware now, before there worth pennies.

Spelling and grammar errors.

I was thinking that, but decided not to be a grammar nazi, just because I didn't want to start a flame war.

You can sneeze the wrong way and start a war around here.

How true, it's a really bad melting pot full of people, I guess once money is involved, the "community" turns into "my money"
Activity: 154
September 16, 2011, 10:10:55 PM
Panick, sell your bitcoins and all your mining hardware now, before there worth pennies.

I was thinking that, but decided not to be a grammar nazi, just because I didn't want to start a flame war.

You can sneeze the wrong way and start a war around here.
September 16, 2011, 08:59:47 PM

Activity: 121
September 16, 2011, 09:23:58 AM

Activity: 81
Merit: 9
September 16, 2011, 03:32:03 AM
someone wants a free mining rig...
Activity: 168
September 15, 2011, 05:49:25 PM
September 11, 2011, 04:49:40 PM
Green line guy here  Grin

If that chart becomes a meme I claim 0.05 BTC for every usage  Cheesy
1C1aN3gBrTdy8NghFAAaQudHkr9zTaC5o5

You are a genius business person!
Activity: 20
Merit: 0
Pages:
Jump to: