Pages:
Author

Topic: Experimenting with Jalapeno firmware... - page 11. (Read 62561 times)

soy
legendary
Activity: 1428
Merit: 1013
August 14, 2013, 04:05:54 PM
Worked flawlessly, did it on 2 units. Do be careful, they are smt

How did bending the pins go?  I'm really good at snapping them off.
Just a thought, using wirewrap to bring the pins out to another set of pins, once, and leaving it in place.  Wirewrap is nice because the original pins are unchanged, adjacent pins can be wrapped without fear of shorting if done properly.  The connector one brings the wires out to can be prepared in advance while your waiting for a programmer to arrive.  Once in place buzz out your work to make sure the pins correspond.  Maybe get a spare female connector to put in place when you're done so as not to leave the pins of the added connector exposed.  Someday you may want to remove the connector, just reverse the wirewrap tool and unwrap the wires.
Activity: 281
Merit: 100
August 14, 2013, 03:08:01 PM
I've just connected my JTAG-ICE mkII to one of my singles.

The security-bit was also set on the singles, so after an erase there is no easy way back to the original firmware :-(

The interesting question is now, who is willing to take the risk first?

I've studied the sourcecode a little bit and found a lot of interesting places to play around.

I have been staring at the dragon I ordered a while back and contemplating. I am not really a trail blazer.. not in this circumstance anyway.

I am a bit confused and from what Luke was saying on that other thread it seems like the dragon would not work for singles but since they use it for Jalas I am thinking that can't be right.  Mine runs at 60 on the dot so I am thinking there is headroom.

I read it again, maybe the dragon will not work comment is just for the "TUMPA" JTAG interface
Activity: 420
Merit: 250
August 14, 2013, 02:32:07 PM
I couldn't wait any longer and had to take the risk :-)

Just reflashed one of my singles with my first modified firmware.
Now I'm busy...

are you getting good hashrate for flashing new firmware?
Activity: 360
August 14, 2013, 02:22:29 PM
I couldn't wait any longer and had to take the risk :-)

Just reflashed one of my singles with my first modified firmware.
Now I'm busy...
August 14, 2013, 01:18:12 PM
I've just connected my JTAG-ICE mkII to one of my singles.

The security-bit was also set on the singles, so after an erase there is no easy way back to the original firmware :-(

The interesting question is now, who is willing to take the risk first?

I've studied the sourcecode a little bit and found a lot of interesting places to play around.
Activity: 63
Merit: 0
August 14, 2013, 06:34:37 AM
Is your cable backwards?

Odd, it was backwards.
Thank you!
legendary
Activity: 2912
Merit: 1060
August 14, 2013, 06:23:50 AM
Is your cable backwards?
August 14, 2013, 06:18:47 AM
This is how it looks on my BFL Single, always worked on the jalapenos.

http://i.imgur.com/tgJKehg.jpg

legendary
Activity: 1792
Merit: 1008
/dev/null
August 14, 2013, 06:03:58 AM
i got a AT32UC3A1256. after you put the newer firmare on the dragon it showed up as AT32UC3A1256, before it showed as AT32UC3A1128 too.
August 14, 2013, 05:49:53 AM
Anyone flashed a single?

JTAG1 I get to low voltage using AT32UC3A1128/AT32UC3A1156
JTAG2 I cant read deviceid using AT32UC3A1128/AT32UC3A1156

Any ideas?
legendary
Activity: 2912
Merit: 1060
August 13, 2013, 07:43:03 AM
hope ck releases a single firmware and maybe updates jalapeno to 1.2.6
donator
Activity: 164
Merit: 100
August 12, 2013, 09:04:41 PM
Thanks Ashitank.

Thanks for pointing that out. Smiley

Another tip, if you want to hardcode all engines to be running (regardless it's functional or not) change __TOTAL_DIAGNOSTICS_RUN from 10 to 0. It will skip all tests on the engines. Beware of the high HW error rate.

Next thing I wanna try is to change DO_NOT_USE_ENGINE_ZERO and overclocking it to 350mhz on the frequency and see what will happen. Hopefully it won't brick  Grin

Last but not least to max out the fan speed (FAN_CONTROL_BYTE_REMAIN_FULL_SPEED) if the above is successful.
Tested comment out DO_NOT_USE_ENGINE_ZERO and the jally won't start up.
Attempted to change the frequency from 291 to 350 but it still falls back to 280+. So I went to look into the codes and found that there is a method that detects the frequency and write it back. So I hardcoded the frequency to 350MHz. Starts up and runs @ 9GH/s but has near to 50% HW errors. So it's a fail.

I guess that's all for me know until my new jallies are shipped.
Regards
EP
legendary
Activity: 4466
Merit: 1798
Linux since 1997 RedHat 4
August 12, 2013, 05:43:48 PM
cgminer doesn't care that the firmware thinks it is, I use the chip count to decide that.
Activity: 420
August 12, 2013, 04:35:22 PM
Anyone have a dragon to sell me on the cheap? 40-45 bucks shipped

let me know

Danny

You buy this open h/w and more use than Avr Dragon jtag http://www.seeedstudio.com/depot/bus-blaster-v3-p-1415.html?cPath=63_69

ps: Just restocks few days ago

have you used it to confirm it works??

check out this link https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/hacking-bitforce-sc-firmware-with-only-free-software-262558
Activity: 672
Merit: 500
August 12, 2013, 04:16:06 PM
Anyone have a dragon to sell me on the cheap? 40-45 bucks shipped

let me know

Danny

You buy this open h/w and more use than Avr Dragon jtag http://www.seeedstudio.com/depot/bus-blaster-v3-p-1415.html?cPath=63_69

ps: Just restocks few days ago

have you used it to confirm it works??
legendary
/dev/null
August 12, 2013, 04:09:29 PM
Can we program the long boards (Little single / Single) with the Avalon DRAGON successfully?
yes, but take the 1.2.6+ firmware due to XLINK

Theoretically this is clear to me. My singles report firmware version 1.2.6 and I saw the firmware version 1.2.6 release from Juke-Jr. From my experience with other companies, I know that sometimes companies do not cleanly declare version numbers. So it could be that the version in my singles is not exactly the same than the released one.
Beside of this, it could be that BFL is doing anything during there production/test process, which is writing additional information into the device, which could be lost by a flash update. Unfortunately I didn't yet find the time to look deep enough into the sourcecode to exclude something like this. I know all of what I'm writing about is not very likely but possible and the investment was high enough to think twice about risking to overwrite the flash, beside of loosing warranty.  

So, do you, or anybody else,  already has flashed your own compiled firmware based on the released version 1.2.6?

From what I've seen it should be enough to setup the product define correct for the target unit, right?

yes, but there are 2 defines, 1 saying single and a little bit deeper jala (if single), youd have to change this. i cant remember correctly but i guess you should be able to figure it out Wink
you cant really kill it, if you create a nonworking firmware, just create another one for it.
if the security bit is not set, i suggest dumping the actual firmware as a form of backup (the 1.0.0 had the security bit set, so you couldnt do this).
if BFL didnt want us to play with the firmware and reflash the units, why should they make it so easy for us to do it? (releasing firmware + nice jtag)

So you have already flashed your single(s). Was it the 30 or 60 GH version?
no i dont have the single, i just read trough all the threads + source to get my information, im playing with 2 jalas atm (maybe i can get a hold of a single and some more jalas soon Tongue)
btw, another thing. if you flash your singles, carefully watch the temps as cooling will be crucial!
August 12, 2013, 04:07:20 PM
Can we program the long boards (Little single / Single) with the Avalon DRAGON successfully?

Theoretically this is clear to me. My singles report firmware version 1.2.6 and I saw the firmware version 1.2.6 release from Juke-Jr. From my experience with other companies, I know that sometimes companies do not cleanly declare version numbers. So it could be that the version in my singles is not exactly the same than the released one.
Beside of this, it could be that BFL is doing anything during there production/test process, which is writing additional information into the device, which could be lost by a flash update. Unfortunately I didn't yet find the time to look deep enough into the sourcecode to exclude something like this. I know all of what I'm writing about is not very likely but possible and the investment was high enough to think twice about risking to overwrite the flash, beside of loosing warranty. 

So, do you, or anybody else,  already has flashed your own compiled firmware based on the released version 1.2.6?

From what I've seen it should be enough to setup the product define correct for the target unit, right?

yes, but there are 2 defines, 1 saying single and a little bit deeper jala (if single), youd have to change this. i cant remember correctly but i guess you should be able to figure it out Wink
you cant really kill it, if you create a nonworking firmware, just create another one for it.
if the security bit is not set, i suggest dumping the actual firmware as a form of backup (the 1.0.0 had the security bit set, so you couldnt do this).
if BFL didnt want us to play with the firmware and reflash the units, why should they make it so easy for us to do it? (releasing firmware + nice jtag)

So you have already flashed your single(s). Was it the 30 or 60 GH version?
legendary
/dev/null
August 12, 2013, 04:03:37 PM

So, do you, or anybody else,  already has flashed your own compiled firmware based on the released version 1.2.6?

August 12, 2013, 03:54:57 PM

legendary
/dev/null
August 12, 2013, 03:00:26 PM
btw, if anyone needs to have their jala flashed in switzerland and dosnt want to buy a dragon, just send me a PM Wink
Pages:
Jump to: