Pages:
Author

Topic: "Failure to Understand Bitcoin Could Cost Investors Billions" (Bitcoin's flaws) - page 8. (Read 43189 times)

Activity: 518
Merit: 521
Vlad, I wrote an explanation for you and others.

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.5540305

For the laymen, most public key cryptography (e.g. RSA and Bitcoin's ECDSA and Zerocoin) is based on number theoretic assumptions such as the difficulty in factoring discrete logarithms which makes them impossible to crack (at sufficient bit lengths) with current computers. However, quantum computing would (in theory) enable Shor's algorithm which reduces these factoring problems from exponential to polynomial time. Thus what would have required a zillion years to crack can be cracked in reasonable time to make it practical.

However, cryptographic hash functions do not rely on number theoretic assumptions. Instead they rely on the assumption of asymptotically perfect random distribution of the input to the output, which can be somewhat verified like this. Thus they can't be cracked with Shor's algorithm and only Grover's algorithm can be applied with a quantum computer. Thus they remain exponential time, and only the bit lengths (exponents) get effectively halved.

Lamport signatures use only cryptographic hashes. One of the problem with employing them in a blockchain has been they take up much space (either for the public key or the signature or both), but I just published a discovery in my prior post which enables making them smaller in exchange for more computation.

This discovery makes Lamport signatures more practical for blockchains than they were before, but still they are not as small as number theoretic public key cryptography.

Unfortunately I don't think this will work for Bitcoin, at least not until they implement pruning of the UXTO, but it can work in an altcoin.

I currently see no way to make Zerocoin resistant to Shor's algorithm, but I am still researching this. But Zerocoin is mostly useless any way because of pattern analysis on coin amounts.
legendary
Activity: 3052
Merit: 1530
www.ixcoin.net
I wish I understood this software stuff better to fully appreciate it. 

Thanks.

Good luck with your project, if you ever decide to make it a reality.
Vlad this is for you bro.

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.5539769

PS: AnonyMint is right, once QCs appear Bitcoin will be f***ed. At least noone has offered a good solution to avoid this.

I think the community has grown tired of hearing me say I know solutions but haven't released them yet. I will give a small tidbit gift (giving away my secrets before I can implement them) to the community now, so they will realize I am not all talk and no action.

I added the following partial "solution" to Wikipedia yesterday:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lamport_signature#Short_keys_and_signature

Now I go quiet if I can.
The guys over at the Mises Circle have already shown that altcoins cannot succeed; my main worries are coin taint and a backdoor in the cryptography.

The OP has a link to the thread where we discussed that article and tore it to shreds.

Any altcoin can be converted to Bitcoin instantly upon payment if there are liquid exchanges, as Bitpay does for converting Bitcoin to fiat at checkout time. The OP mentions the fallacy of the lockout network effect in this case and explains why it is different than the inertia of a network protocol that requires changing every server on the internet. However there is a post upthread wherein I admitted that the market size is an inertia in terms of brand recognition, confidence, economies-of-scale, etc.. So yes there does come a point where Bitcoin can not likely be surmounted and we are almost there, with the userbase some where in the range of 1 million already and growing very very fast.

However, one of my other points is if Bitcoin can't adopt anonymity (which I am very confident can't be done, because CoinJoin doesn't scale, Tor isn't a good choice to build-in, and Zerocoins is insoluble as all mixers are because the coin amounts can't all be the same thus pattern analysis eliminates the anonymity), then a bifurcated future is likely where there is an altcoin which is highly anonymous (can't be DarkCoin their CoinJoin technology can't scale), even if Bitcoin remains the most popular the anonymous coin will also have transaction volume. Because the world is headed into a debt collapse and governments will confiscate and hunt down wealth. Thus there will be a demand for anonymity, regardless how popular Bitcoin is. I've also explained that anonymity must be built-in to the coin, otherwise the commerce with the coin is tainted and can't be anonymously used by anyone.

And there is a technical reason Bitcoin can't adopt my anonymity solution, but if I tell you, then you will know what my solution is. And I am not ready to reveal it quite yet. Soon.

The information war has been won. Really time to sign off now. See ya on the other side.

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.5475723

The next incarnation of Bitcoin will be spearheaded by another anonymous genius.

Thank you very much.  Lips sealed

I thought true nobility is when a person is not bringing upon himself asking to be in the light.. quite the contrast to your actual behavior in your posts.. or is it that you just wanted to preach that you know what a noble genius looks acts and feels like but that is anything but you?

I am conflicted on that. Certainly I would rather shut up. But also I wanted to give his buried point more eyeballs and weight, so that people won't lose hope on the ideal of what we thought Bitcoin was going to be. It is not so impossible as it might seem to be.

I anticipated you'd nuke my Sistine Chapel of a parody post.  So I preserved it in advance. Tongue

Keeping the thread less noisy, but that terse link is fine.

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.5518181

One way to get the fiat in is to accept centrally issued Fiat-backed crypto currencies as well in the p2p exchange.

You are right back to the same problem of centralized theft again.

People will always disfavor P2P exchange, because it is more inconvenient, the spread is higher, and it feels more unsafe (which is debatable).

That is why a cpu-only coin is so damn important. Most people will then enter by mining, and spending will be preferred over selling!

Nobody can ever force you to sell your bitcoins for Gollum_USD_IOU. But you should have the technical possibility to do so on the p2p exchange.

We can't stop people from dangling centralized failure nodes in front of the naive users.

One thing we can do is make the altcoin very anonymous, thus any user going through these centralized vehicles is going to give up their anonymity via AML & KYC regulation of the centralized vendors.

For the moment users have no reason to care, because Bitcoin isn't anonymous any way.

If we issue an IOU coin it would be a piece of code, just like bitcoin.

What part of centralized failure modes is not clear?

You promise to pay fiat. Many people become dependent on your ability to do so. Govenment fines you, you can't meet obligations. Or you are corrupt/inept and issue more IOUs than you have resources to pay. Many centralized failure modes to get same result.
Activity: 557
Merit: 101
The guys over at the Mises Circle have already shown that altcoins cannot succeed; my main worries are coin taint and a backdoor in the cryptography.
legendary
Activity: 3752
Merit: 5142
Whimsical Pants
If another alt-coin pops up that it better than Bitcoin, it will need to kill Light-coin first and i've not even seen 1 alt-coin thats doing that in this time.
In time scale; Bitcoins infrasturcture+the amounth of the ppl in the world that is even aware of Bitcoin will be to big to catch up. In other words; Bitcoin wil be in the top 3 most used crypto money in the comming 10+ years.

Litecoin as a early warning system for the eventual bitcoin-killer is worth considering. A very interesting thought.  I wonder if it has merit.

legendary
Activity: 3463
Merit: 4429
If another alt-coin pops up that it better than Bitcoin, it will need to kill Light-coin first and i've not even seen 1 alt-coin thats doing that in this time.
In time scale; Bitcoins infrasturcture+the amounth of the ppl in the world that is even aware of Bitcoin will be to big to catch up. In other words; Bitcoin wil be in the top 3 most used crypto money in the comming 10+ years.
legendary
Activity: 2044
Merit: 1005
The information war has been won. Really time to sign off now. See ya on the other side.

The next incarnation of Bitcoin will be spearheaded by another anonymous genius.

Thank you very much.  Lips sealed

I thought true nobility is when a person is not bringing upon himself asking to be in the light.. quite the contrast to your actual behavior in your posts.. or is it that you just wanted to preach that you know what a noble genius looks acts and feels like but that is anything but you?
legendary
Whimsical Pants
I anticipated you'd nuke my Sistine Chapel of a parody post.  So I preserved it in advance. Tongue
We see here the true nature of man. When someone is trying his best to fix and improve what we human kind need the jealous mofos have nothing better to do but try to mock and sabotage.

They won't succeed.

Welcome to Bitcointalk but I'll say this: you're doing a lot of talking for a full year now with nothing to show for it.

How do you figure? I am the messenger. Have I not delivered it far and wide?

There is a difference between nothing to show and nothing shown.

If you were digging (not on the forum although your hint of where to dig is here on the forum), you could possibly locate a breakthrough in cryptography on trading computation for space which I helped publish today. The core idea was not mine however I helped clarify it.

You can clone Bitcoin and add your changes in a single day.  If you're good enough you can code an entire new coin in a month so my questions is:  What are you waiting for, 3,000 alt coins to burry your idea?

Seriously, if you're that good and you have a great idea then get to it.  

Just do it!

AnonyMint has already answered the question upthread as to whether he is creating an altcoin with a one word post "No".

AnonyMint has also promised in the DarkCoin thread to never announce nor help promote any altcoin (note what I didn't promise by exclusion). See the post upthread about DarkCoin, I added to it (in short the anonymity if any is not scalable).

If you are not entirely confused, that is unfortunate because it is intentional.

The best way to destroy your enemy is to first destroy their fear of you.

So many rushed altcoins, and what is the result?
Bitcoin core developers wumpus and gmaxwell on the new improvements announced (but not yet published) for Zerocoin.

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.3674938

My understanding was that the size of the proofs was the primary hurdle to implementation. Is that true?
There were several other additional limitations:

* Very slow to validate (e.g. on the order of 1-2 tx per second)
* Required a trusted party to initiate the accumulator, and if they violate that trust they could steal coins
* Uses cryptography which is less well studied
* Only handled anonymized coins with one value, reducing the anonymity set size substantially
* Didn't conceal values
* Spent coins list is needed for validation and grows forever (e.g. no pruning of the critical validation state).

Of these only the first two and the last are probably real barriers, the others are more "doesn't work as well as some hypothetical future system might".

There was no way within their prior system to achieve size reductions to the currently mentioned, I'd speculated in some other threads on some technology that could make the proofs smaller and faster, but if they've gone that route there may be some other consequences. It's hard to say much of anything useful without more information being made public.

I would note that the prior ZC implementation has been made available for some time now, and no altcoin has picked it up.

Deep technical explanation of the original Zerocoin:

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.2296916
legendary
Activity: 1778
Merit: 1042
#Free market
legendary
Whimsical Pants
Stop teasing us by claiming you're leaving.

He can't trust himself. He is not able to follow his own will. Such a life is punished by itself the most.

That's pretty good stuff really.  Wise and sad.
legendary
www.ixcoin.net
Stop teasing us by claiming you're leaving.

He can't trust himself. He is not able to follow his own will. Such a life is punished by itself the most.

Ahahahaaa.  There may be some truth in that.
legendary
www.ixcoin.net
We see here the true nature of man. When someone is trying his best to fix and improve what we human kind need the jealous mofos have nothing better to do but try to mock and sabotage.

They won't succeed.

Welcome to Bitcointalk but I'll say this: you're doing a lot of talking for a full year now with nothing to show for it.

You can clone Bitcoin and add your changes in a single day.  If you're good enough you can code an entire new coin in a month so my questions is:  What are you waiting for, 3,000 alt coins to burry your idea?

Seriously, if you're that good and you have a great idea then get to it.  

Just do it!

They won't succeed.

Thank you very much.  Lips sealed
Ah have to sneak back in to say, looks like I am winning the information war:

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.5466479

I get really nervous when I read articles like this or talks like this which highlight the extreme dangers that can be imposed by world governments without anonymity.

Add my thread to the logic about the threats from lacking anonymity.

Zerocoin doesn't obscure IP addresses. Still vulnerable to traffic and pattern analysis too. CoinJoin can't scale due to denial-of-service in its 2nd signing step. DarkCoin appears to be fundamentally flawed. Etc.

All the gory details in this thread:

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.5355485

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.5467500

I get really nervous when I read articles ... or talks like this which highlight the extreme dangers that can be imposed by world governments without anonymity.

Andreas' rant started around 33 minutes or so, and he really got into by 39 min. He basically says that the developed world is too focused on profit, navel-gazing, kissing the boot of regulators. He says the 6 billion are driving the real future of Bitcoin.

Cool! He and I are shouting the same thing!

So fuck these assholes in this forum who are criticizing me.

P.S. Andreas has one flaw in his analysis, the developing world is short the dollar and the tail doesn't wag the dog yet. The USA is still fully in control for another decade or so. So we have to go through a really big mess first before we get to his ideal.
Pages:
Jump to: