Pages:
Author

Topic: [Feature Suggest] Let disable multi quoting - page 2. (Read 474 times)

Activity: 2366
Merit: 838
The restrictions can be maybe rank based as most of the mess is done by newbies and jr. members. No one likes the long quotes, but theymos don't really want to add more restrictions to the newbies so it won't be an easy solution.
Newbies and lower rank are one of the most annoying and spamming components in the forum, but they are not the only contributors to spamming and pyramid quotes. Within my more than two-year experience in the forum, I saw higher rank users pyramid quoted (I actually left some examples of higher-ranked pyramid quotators in my below topic). I don't know which reasons behind the lack of theymos' interests to do it. Nevertheless, if theymos implements something to stop pyramid quotes, it might be restricted on all ranks, not only Newbies or lower ranks.

I made my guide here: [TIPS] to avoid pyramid quotes (for Newbies). The title shows it is specifically for Newbies, but in reality it is for all pyramid-quotators.
Activity: 1358
Merit: 851
In loan sub board, multi quote is required to keep others word as record for the future. That's gawky but a needed feature. Better if we can raise public awareness to reduce the disaster.
legendary
Activity: 2240
Merit: 3150
₿uy / $ell ..oeleo ;(
The restrictions can be maybe rank based as most of the mess is done by newbies and jr. members. No one likes the long quotes, but theymos don't really want to add more restrictions to the newbies so it won't be an easy solution.
copper member
Activity: 1624
Merit: 1899
Amazon Prime Member #7
Sometimes a multi-quote as you describe can be useful for someone to understand what is being said if they have been following a thread and is only needing to read the last couple of posts. There will often be multiple sub-conversations within a thread that may be difficult to follow if only one or two quotes are included in the post.

Unless you are removing everything except the most recent quote, I have found it to be difficult to remove only a specific number of quotes within a quote. It would be nice to have a feature that would remove the "inner most" (oldest) quote from a triangle of quotes.
legendary
Activity: 3668
Merit: 6382
Looking for campaign manager? Contact icopress!
I think that limiting the max number of characters that can be inside a quote could solve much better the problem.
After all, some still quote full ANNs to post an one-liner and this would handle those too.

Edit: for the "manual task" I don't have a good enough solution, I think that in some cases it just cannot be avoided.
Activity: 742
Merit: 395
I am alive but in hibernation.
 I think this is always Jet Cash thought that quoting and multi quoting of post should be avoided.  I do not think he ever put this request as feature suggest.

Below are the problems of Multi quoting.

1. It really make the discussion long ,when somebody multi quotes 3-4 reply.
2. Replying to a multi quoted  post become a manual task (if you manually remove it). If you do not then it is adding further multi quotes.
3. It break the flow of reading.
4. And lot of user do mistakes when trying to replying on these posts and it cause few accidental plagiarism ban too.

And yes, we have lot of user who quote a  full page post even when it is not needed. If length of post that can be quoted  is also reduced then I guess we might save  some forum space and see a eye pleasing coherent discussion thread.
Pages:
Jump to: