Pages:
Author

Topic: First Ever Bitcoin Bank to be Opened in Switzerland? - page 3. (Read 6933 times)

legendary
Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386
Viva Ut Vivas
Xapo anyone? They charge a fee to hold your bitcoins in a vault.
Exchanges? They provide bank like services to get your fiat.

Why is this seen as such a negative? We already have plenty of third party services that do many different things. Just because this third party service has the word "bank" in it does not mean that all of the sudden Bitcoin is not somehow controlled by bankers.

What I can see a bank doing is providing things like direct deposit to your bank account with any currency being converted directly to bitcoins.
I see debit cards that you can spend anywhere and it automatically converts it to the currency you need from your bitcoin balance.

Other than that it will be like having your coins on any other web wallet.
Activity: 952
Merit: 1000
This is not a good news. First bitcoin is decentralized currency, now it's first bank will be opened in Switzerland. Government will gain control of bitcoin if there's bitcoin bank in a country. Second, bitcoin is anonymous. If we transfer and exchange at bank, we must write our name, our purpose and the others.

Yes it is not great news for the bitcoin community as people generally prefer use of bitcoin due to the privacy factor attached to it so if the privacy factor is removed from the bitcoin then people will hesitate in using it as they have to disclose their identity.
legendary
Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069
Second, bitcoin is anonymous.
 sorry mate but you're wrong... Bitcoin ISN"T anonymous... Cool  that's an urban legend.  Cool
I'm wrong Shocked. I read that from a blog Cheesy so maybe i'm false about bitcoin theory. Roll Eyes

you're not that wrong, bitcoin can be anonymous, but it certainly isn't if you don't add anything, and just do your normal "send transaction/receiving transaction"

This is not a good news. First bitcoin is decentralized currency, now it's first bank will be opened in Switzerland. Government will gain control of bitcoin if there's bitcoin bank in a country. Second, bitcoin is anonymous. If we transfer and exchange at bank, we must write our name, our purpose and the others.

So you think anybody will force you to use a bank?

it's hilarious because banks, can not even force you, to use fiat(i might live, by swapping all day my old stuff with new ones, and continue this cycle endless, for example), let alone a decentralized thing like bitcoin

also some, can uses cash only, and thus evading the banks completely, there was a guy that was living only with that, his own ammission here on one forum
Activity: 364
Merit: 250
 sorry mate but you're wrong... Bitcoin ISN"T anonymous... Cool  that's an urban legend.  Cool
I'm wrong Shocked. I read that from a blog Cheesy so maybe i'm false about bitcoin theory. Roll Eyes
legendary
Activity: 2338
Merit: 1124

So you think anybody will force you to use a bank?
legendary
Activity: 1120
Merit: 1002
Activity: 364
Merit: 250
legendary
Activity: 910
We don't like it when people keep there coins on an exchange but its ok to buy.  I don't see the difference in keeping your coins on a exchange for 2 minutes or 2 months.  Your still trusting them that you will get your coins.
legendary
Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386
Viva Ut Vivas
So we don't like bitcoin banks but we're ok with bitcoin exchanges...

Not much difference.
Activity: 896
Here we go again with people saying "we" don't need a bank like they represent the whole bitcoin community.

usually if you are here it is because you hate bank, at least a bit, another reason is because you want easy money from bitcoin, aka more fiat, so those who still want to go with a bank even when they have a decentralized payment like bitcoin that aims at disrupt the whole banking system, probably belong to the second group

With bitcoin, you have a choice if you do not want to use a bank. If you want to borrow or save money, you still need a kind of bank.
legendary
Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069
Here we go again with people saying "we" don't need a bank like they represent the whole bitcoin community.

usually if you are here it is because you hate bank, at least a bit, another reason is because you want easy money from bitcoin, aka more fiat, so those who still want to go with a bank even when they have a decentralized payment like bitcoin that aims at disrupt the whole banking system, probably belong to the second group
legendary
Activity: 910
legendary
Activity: 1596
Merit: 1021
That is not good. The whole point with bitcoin is that people should learn to take responsibility for their own money.
Banks will just make another weak point of centralization where speculation can happen.
The problem is that when a lot of people deposite money in the same place then can the bank "invest" these funds to all kinda stuff, risking the peoples money with only vauge concensus. Bitcoin gives people an unique oppotunity for being independend of banks.

I think its good for adoption.. more people can get it without the risk if the bank carries that... and cmon at present people are using exchanges as banks to hold their bitcoin in the interim and that worked out awesome for MtGox didn't it. Least with a fully licensed entity doing it there won't be blood as there is accountability.
legendary
Activity: 1246
Merit: 1004
Will this entity engage in "sound banking".  Will it attempt to balance both the amounts and the maturities of its assets with those of its liabilities?  Will they offer true 100% reserve deposit banking (an account which does not earn interest but charges a fee) and/or true loan banking (you can earn interest but you must tie your money up).  In short, will this be a real bank or just another fractional reserve scheme.
Activity: 742
Merit: 500
why the hell bitcoin need a bank? we dont need a bank,i run my own bank (blockchain) right now, the reason that the bank will build is they are gonna take some fee from our money, when i was firs time recognized bitcoin, they said that bitcoin is cryptocurency which dont need a bank.
Activity: 112
Merit: 10
★YoBit.Net★ 100+ Coins Exchange & Dice
I don't like the idea, the whole purpose of Bitcoin was to have it be a decentralized alternative currency that could be widely used. With the bank's hands all over it, they're going to profit over our (Bitcoin community) creations.

It's all about having options. With Bitcoin you can be your own bank, but what if there are people that don't want to be their own banks? Bitcoin has many purposes, having all your wealth and storing it yourself is just one, but not giving people the option to have a "bank" you are kicking a lot of people that would otherwise use BTC for its other features.

Bitcoin has been stored in our wallet's on our computers since 2009, if it has worked this long we obviously don't need a bank or anyone to ruin the anonymity.
legendary
Activity: 868
Merit: 1004
I don't like the idea, the whole purpose of Bitcoin was to have it be a decentralized alternative currency that could be widely used. With the bank's hands all over it, they're going to profit over our (Bitcoin community) creations.

It's all about having options. With Bitcoin you can be your own bank, but what if there are people that don't want to be their own banks? Bitcoin has many purposes, having all your wealth and storing it yourself is just one, but not giving people the option to have a "bank" you are kicking a lot of people that would otherwise use BTC for its other features.
legendary
Activity: 1596
Merit: 1005
★Nitrogensports.eu★
It is actually bad for bitcoin as it takes away the decentralized part away from bitcoin. And it is hard to trust them as they might sell for fiat for their further investments.
Exactly, you are right. Here we go again. People created something to free masses from slavery of banks and financial institutions and stupid people could now just reject this and gladly become a slaves again.
Sometimes I think that most people are not meant to be on their own and decide about their fates instead they want to live like slaves. "Yeah, I give you my bitcoin - invest it - I can't do it myself..."

I wonder with what this "Bitcoin bank" will bribe people so they will reject managing their own bitcoins.
Activity: 672
Merit: 501
Like it or not but once they do this people will deposit their bitcoins in it, some will do it for the interest (if there is any) others will do it because they don't know how to keep their bitcoins safe or they're too naive and trust whatever is said on a website, I have seen a few people on this forum who still keep large amounts of bitcoin on blockchain info wallet even though there are so many reports on how others have lost bitcoins stored there.

I just hope that this bank comes under some jurisdiction and doesn't runs away with people's funds.
Activity: 112
Merit: 10
★YoBit.Net★ 100+ Coins Exchange & Dice
Pages:
Jump to: