Pages:
Author

Topic: Follow the Bitcoins taken from me by Homeland Security - page 2. (Read 12598 times)

legendary
Activity: 2646
Merit: 1136
All paid signature campaigns should be banned.
The Bitcoins taken from me by Homeland Security (plus some dust given to Homeland Security by the Bitcoin community) are still just sitting here:

https://blockchain.info/address/1Eu38i1DkRAPAJhSqbseVroJDpMRfJbAx3

But there was some really good news today.  The justice department ended the practice of "equitable sharing"

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.13399046

This is great news for the country in general but bad for me personally.

Under the nefarious equitable sharing program my local Sheriff's department was slated to receive up to 80% of the funds taken from me once my Bitcoins were auctioned off.

I had hoped to argue that since my family was the only victim in the case the local sheriff should return to me his share of the take in the theft of my property as victim compensation.  That might have lead to the return of up to 80% of the funds taken from me.  However now that the equitable sharing program has been terminated I would have to argue the victim angle directly with Homeland Security and the Federal Justice Department.  More expensive and unlikely to work.
Bad news, the sheriffs that are all addicted to the "pennies from heaven" shared with them from the Federal asset forfeiture fund whined loud enough and "equitable sharing" was quietly reinstated.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2016/03/28/the-feds-have-resumed-a-controversial-program-that-lets-cops-take-stuff-and-keep-it/

(and others)

Good news is I can once again try and corner the sheriff in my county and ask him what he plans to do with the money taken from me.
legendary
Activity: 994
Merit: 1034
Sorry to hear. The removal of equitable sharing isn't such good news as some of the media has portrayed it as it simply means that both the federal and local levels will independently be tasked with asset forfeiture without collaborating. This may appear like progress but can lead to complicated jurisdictional issues where you have 2 gangs of thieves going after your assets instead of one gang.

If it is any consolation I don't think you would have successfully retrieved your stolen property either way as they would argue that you were selling without a proper license and weren't the victim. They really don't like to give up their extra stolen bonus money and would have hated to lose their fancy new police cruiser they picked out.

legendary
The Bitcoins taken from me by Homeland Security (plus some dust given to Homeland Security by the Bitcoin community) are still just sitting here:

But there was some really good news today.  The justice department ended the practice of "equitable sharing"

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.13399046

This is great news for the country in general but bad for me personally.

Under the nefarious equitable sharing program my local Sheriff's department was slated to receive up to 80% of the funds taken from me once my Bitcoins were auctioned off.

I had hoped to argue that since my family was the only victim in the case the local sheriff should return to me his share of the take in the theft of my property as victim compensation.  That might have lead to the return of up to 80% of the funds taken from me.  However now that the equitable sharing program has been terminated I would have to argue the victim angle directly with Homeland Security and the Federal Justice Department.  More expensive and unlikely to work.
Activity: 847
Merit: 500
Here are the 186 ($42,222.00 as of this posting) Bitcoins taken from me by Homeland Security:

I am sure you guys can come up with some creative, interesting, fun ideas to do with this information.
Relocate out of the country as soon as it is legally possible. And never do any bitcoin related business in the USA.

That is easier spoken than done.

I think USA is a constantly changing country unlike North Korea for example. So let's hope it becomes more Bitcoin friendly in the future, the young generation of Americans will do this positive change for sure.

Hard to say friend. Even though Bitcoin has a lot of positives, there are negatives associated with it as well. To have it become official would be very difficult
legendary
Activity: 3234
Merit: 2112
I stand with Ukraine.
Here are the 186 ($42,222.00 as of this posting) Bitcoins taken from me by Homeland Security:

I am sure you guys can come up with some creative, interesting, fun ideas to do with this information.
Relocate out of the country as soon as it is legally possible. And never do any bitcoin related business in the USA.

That is easier spoken than done.

I think USA is a constantly changing country unlike North Korea for example. So let's hope it becomes more Bitcoin friendly in the future, the young generation of Americans will do this positive change for sure.
Activity: 196
Merit: 100
They will probably auction the Bitcoins off like they are currently doing with the Silk Road Bitcoins.
Activity: 378
Merit: 250

Activity: 27
Merit: 0
that a big money.. security on btc...  Tongue Huh Huh Huh Huh
AGD
legendary
Activity: 2069
Merit: 1164
Keeper of the Private Key

Homeland Security agents and their confidential informants, cooperating witnesses and local law enforcement minions are welcome to join us.

For them there will be a very large cover charge - everyone else gets in free.

Oh that is seriously funny and probably very true... they would insert some informants in there for the followup round to come. Welcome them with open arms and offer them a

free beer, just make sure you add a little urine to the mix.  Roll Eyes They will most probably drink milk, because they are on duty.  Wink

Good luck with the talk, wish I could join, but I am very far from Colorado.  Sad .... I WILL have a glass of wine on you, on that date.  Grin

I bet he can't read your posting ...

edit: now he can  Grin
legendary
Activity: 1904
Merit: 1073

Homeland Security agents and their confidential informants, cooperating witnesses and local law enforcement minions are welcome to join us.

Oh that is seriously funny and probably very true... they would insert some informants in there for the followup round to come. Welcome them with open arms and offer them a

free beer, just make sure you add a little urine to the mix.  Roll Eyes They will most probably drink milk, because they are on duty.  Wink

Good luck with the talk, wish I could join, but I am very far from Colorado.  Sad .... I WILL have a glass of wine on you, on that date.  Grin
legendary
If you live in the Denver/Boulder/Longmont/Niwot Colorado area please stop by the Powder Keg Brewing Company on Sunday, October 11, between 3:00 p.m. and 7:00 p.m. for great music, good food, good beer and a short talk by yours truly concerning my case between the two bands.  Details here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4wjj00pq83nn33d/Oct%2011%20Fundraiser%20and%20Celebration.pdf?dl=0

For more information about my case:

www.burtw.com
www.jmwagner.com

Activity: 448
Merit: 250
Activity: 359
Merit: 251
You're forgetting that EVERYONE breaks at least 2 laws every day. All they need is a reason to look at you and they've got you.
Regulation nation, my friend. 
Activity: 847
Hahaha, someone got clever with the vanity addresses

The public comments are a bit too much imo... If they manage to trace him he will be In Big big trouble...

All in good fun IMO. They can't charge him just because he says things like that. Unless it can be proven, he can't get in any form of trouble.
Activity: 260
Merit: 100

For me the two things are exactly the same. Burt sold Bitcoin to people, with no prior knowledge on what the user wants to use the Bitcoins for. How can anyone prove that

he knew that the Bitcoin will be used for criminal intent?

I do not see people walking around with T-shirts saying " I am a thief " or " I am a Liar " .... He just dealt with people and he sold a token that could be used for anything.  Huh

It is rather simple. Michael Espinoza knew the bitcoins were going to be used for criminal intent because the seller told him, recorded him hearing and responding to this information, and Michael Espinoza and his lawyer even admit to being told that the btc was going to be used for criminal intent.

Now in this case the buyers were lying about what type of criminal activities the btc was being bought for... as they never intended to purchase stolen credit cards but were still buying for the criminal activity of stealing Espinoza's money.  

Either way you can avoid all this nonsense by not doing business with unethical individuals whether they are police or credit card thieves.

If the CFTC says that Bitcoin is a commodity (and hence personal property like gold), there should be no discussion of money laundering, as it is not an exchange of money in the first place. The analogy his lawyer gives of selling a car is a good example: If a guy shows up with cash to buy your car and says "I'm planning to rob a bank with this baby," do you have a legal obligation to not sell it?
legendary
Activity: 994
Merit: 1034

For me the two things are exactly the same. Burt sold Bitcoin to people, with no prior knowledge on what the user wants to use the Bitcoins for. How can anyone prove that

I do not see people walking around with T-shirts saying " I am a thief " or " I am a Liar " .... He just dealt with people and he sold a token that could be used for anything.  Huh

It is rather simple. Michael Espinoza knew the bitcoins were going to be used for criminal intent because the seller told him, recorded him hearing and responding to this information, and Michael Espinoza and his lawyer even admit to being told that the btc was going to be used for criminal intent.

Now in this case the buyers were lying about what type of criminal activities the btc was being bought for... as they never intended to purchase stolen credit cards but were still buying for the criminal activity of stealing Espinoza's money.  

Either way you can avoid all this nonsense by not doing business with unethical individuals whether they are police or credit card thieves.
legendary
Activity: 1184
Merit: 1013

https://i.gyazo.com/515730adef4afcd8a7566013f1bdf6c3.png
Sorry Burt for your loss.
And lmao, from where did preet bharara and his ugly wife come into the scene?

Also,what will happen to these coins? Will the also get auctioned like the silkroad one's?
legendary
Activity: 1946
Merit: 1007

The public comments are a bit too much imo... If they manage to trace him he will be In Big big trouble...
Activity: 602
In math we trust.

I do not see people walking around with T-shirts saying " I am a thief " or " I am a Liar " .... He just dealt with people and he sold a token that could be used for anything.  Huh
This.
You will never be sure about with whom you deal with.
It looks like police is just trying to make some extra money by seizing campaigns.

legendary
Activity: 1904
Merit: 1073
What control do you have over people who wants to buy ANYTHING from you to commit a crime? So you sell your car and someone use that car to commit a crime, and you

get charged for selling the car? It's ridiculously stupid to charge someone for that. It's a whole other story, if they can prove that you knowingly sold that asset {digital or not}

to assist someone to do a crime. I still say, they wanted to make a statement with his arrest, and they succeeded in doing that.  Angry 

Why are you conflating the two when they are clearly distinct? There is a world of difference between knowingly assisting someone to acquire stolen property and exchanging funds without knowing. The end results may be the same but you are not culpable for that crime.

Firstly , if you are selling  BTC and the buyer unnecessarily gives up information that could make you liable for participating in a crime they are either undercover or an idiot(in which case they are sloppy and likely to implicate you by accident). Either way you shouldn't deal with these clients as they are extremely dangerous regardless of how you feel about the ethics in assisting people buy stolen credit cards.

Personally , I think its good advice to simply be more ethical and avoid people of questionable behavior altogether because:

1) They may implicate you by association in their lies/crimes
2) There low character will make it more probably they will cheat or scam you in the future
3) Many grifts are predicated on involving the victim in a crime
4) We should ostracize scumbags to not incentivize this behavior

Stay away from murderers, thieves, liars, and police in general and you will be much safer.

I do not see people walking around with T-shirts saying " I am a thief " or " I am a Liar " .... He just dealt with people and he sold a token that could be used for anything.  Huh
Pages:
Jump to: