Pages:
Author

Topic: Follow the Bitcoins taken from me by Homeland Security - page 5. (Read 12598 times)

legendary
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1000
The scary thing is, when you get to looking at civil asset forfeiture, they really don't need any reason to take your stuff, you do not need to be accused or convicted of a crime, and you have no recourse to get it back.

In fact they often just take your property without charging you with anything at all because charging you is more paperwork and it actually can make it even more difficult for you to get your stuff back since there is no criminal case attached to the forfeiture.

This has been happening for years with medical cannabis dispensaries in California.  The police bust in to a California law abiding business, take all the cannabis, money, computers, video surveillance gear, etc. etc., and then say have a nice day, we may file charges against you.  Charges are never filed and all that stuff now belongs to the police.

What a deal, no wonder they don't want to change it.
legendary
Activity: 2646
Merit: 1136
All paid signature campaigns should be banned.
The scary thing is, when you get to looking at civil asset forfeiture, they really don't need any reason to take your stuff, you do not need to be accused or convicted of a crime, and you have no recourse to get it back.

In fact they often just take your property without charging you with anything at all because charging you is more paperwork and it actually can make it even more difficult for you to get your stuff back since there is no criminal case attached to the forfeiture.
legendary
I would really like to see them take something that only i can unlock, since i don't keep any passwords or similar things written or stored.
They would need my consent in order to take bitcoins away from me, which i doubt i would ever do, even faced with larger losses. Thank god i don't live in USA tho
How did they take the Bitcoins?
Did they just tell you to send all of the Bitcoins to a specific address, or did they take your private keys?

I know nothing about other countries but here in the US they have this thing called "contempt of court" which is the second most odious part of the law, right behind civil asset forfeiture.

All the judge needs to do is say "give me the password to all of your Bitcoins or you will be in contempt of court".  If you do not then give them your Bitcoins you will be sent to jail.

Note that for the most part it is almost impossible to appeal "contempt of court"

Also, they can keep you in jail until you produce the password they want.  That means forever - there is no time limit.

So your passwords are only as secure as your willingness to go to jail to keep them secret.
Activity: 196
Merit: 100
FUcking pigs man.. I hope they all die a slow painful death.

Mainly the law makers and leaders of the countries... god I hope there is a hell and they rot in the depths of it for their crimes against humanity.

Be careful about posting things like that.  On Reason.com, someone posted that a federal judge should "burn in hell" and the Feds subpoenaed Reason.com to get the IP of the person who posted that....no kidding.

I thought in America, people were supposed to be able to say what they wanted to.
Activity: 27
Merit: 0
FUcking pigs man.. I hope they all die a slow painful death.

Mainly the law makers and leaders of the countries... god I hope there is a hell and they rot in the depths of it for their crimes against humanity.

Be careful about posting things like that.  On Reason.com, someone posted that a federal judge should "burn in hell" and the Feds subpoenaed Reason.com to get the IP of the person who posted that....no kidding.

Activity: 27
Merit: 0
I have a Money Service Business license from FINCEN.
Then you can use localbitcoin.com with no issues with the Feds, as stated above there is the state.  But assuming either:

You are theoretically good to go and can conduct as much business as you want to using localbitcoins, your own web site, storefront, whatever.

Of course, now that you have the proper licensing you need to play by all the rules written for those who have said licenses.

Exactly..you just need to keep good records and if someone buys $10 in bitcoin from you, you must get their DL#, Social security # and address, etc.  And course most people buying bitcoin on LBC are totally fine with that.
Activity: 1008
Merit: 501
I sent them a message with the blockchain.

It's included in this OP_RETURN:

OP_RETURN 53504b6d2e7668cb50a8928442fbf6260098004f32515afd8dd22e1207d857e5ed572fb4a1ed963 9

When decoded in sparkbit it reads

Creative, interesting and fun!

Hehehehe, this was pretty epic, i wish we could tag all the wallets that are part of the police or any government agency.
How did they take the Bitcoins?
Did they just tell you to send all of the Bitcoins to a specific address, or did they take your private keys?
Activity: 369
Merit: 250
Makes me feel like I got off  "light" compared with you.

Sorry for your loss.
legendary
Activity: 1722
Satoshi is rolling in his grave. #bitcoin

I would really like to see them take something that only i can unlock, since i don't keep any passwords or similar things written or stored.
They would need my consent in order to take bitcoins away from me, which i doubt i would ever do, even faced with larger losses. Thank god i don't live in USA tho
legendary
Activity: 1274
Civil asset forfeiture is a hot topic right now, it's total bullshit.  Unfortunately here in California we just had a promising reform bill shot down by misrepresentation from the law enforcement lobbies.  Most of the California forfeit cases deal with cannabis cultivation.

it is the advertising on the internet and the doing "business" with the general public that allows them to come in and seize your property.
legendary
Then you can use localbitcoin.com with no issues with the Feds, as stated above there is the state.  But assuming either:

They don't have a license in your state (Texas and others).
They say you don't need a licence in your state (Colorado and others).
You went ahead and also got the state license (New York, and others).

You are theoretically good to go and can conduct as much business as you want to using localbitcoins, your own web site, storefront, whatever.

Of course, now that you have the proper licensing you need to play by all the rules written for those who have said licenses.

But I suspect you already know all this....
Activity: 448
Merit: 250
It is a sad thing to see people loose that much money to uncle Sam. So much for the land of the free home of the brave. They really want to hold on to the federal reserve.
Activity: 667
Merit: 500

Fictional license is fictional. FinCEN maintains a registration database. States perform the licensing.
legendary
tl;dr:  I was charged with operating a money transmittal business without a licence for my trading activity on localbitcoins.com. (profile)  
Did you received or sent FIAT from or to outside of the USA through bank transaction, cash or any other means ?

All of my localbitcoins.com transactions were cash in person trades at a local coffee shop.
I remove myself from localbitcoins completely, I advertise there but that's the extent of it. The way it is setup now makes it too easy for criminals and undercovers .

The simple act of advertising on localbitcoins means you might be considered to be running a business. 

If you are running a business then it can/will be considered a money transmittal business and you can be arrested, throw in jail, have your property (computers, Bitcoins, cash, gold, silver, etc.) seized, and face up to a five year prison sentence - that is what happened to me.

It is not the act of using localbitcoins to do your trading that they use to seize your property, it is the advertising on the internet and the doing "business" with the general public that allows them to come in and seize your property.
legendary
tl;dr:  I was charged with operating a money transmittal business without a licence for my trading activity on localbitcoins.com. (profile)  
Did you received or sent FIAT from or to outside of the USA through bank transaction, cash or any other means ?

All of my localbitcoins.com transactions were cash in person trades at a local coffee shop.
Activity: 784
Merit: 500
The coins probably aren't going to move anywhere for a long time.
Activity: 854
Merit: 658
rgbkey.github.io/pgp.txt
That's just disgusting that they can do that to you. It's not even close to fair and doesn't feel legal to me.
legendary
Activity: 1666
Merit: 1007
Professional Native Greek Translator (2000+ done)
Here are the 186 ($42,222.00 as of this posting) Bitcoins taken from me by Homeland Security:

https://blockchain.info/address/1Eu38i1DkRAPAJhSqbseVroJDpMRfJbAx3

I am sure you guys can come up with some creative, interesting, fun ideas to do with this information.

wow really? why did they take it?
Pages:
Jump to: