Pages:
Author

Topic: Follow the Bitcoins taken from me by Homeland Security - page 4. (Read 12598 times)

Activity: 247
Merit: 250
They could imprison you forever if they even suspect you are with-holding passwords. This is also the reason why the probably made a lot of transactions shortly before the raid. They purchased a bulk of the coins than raided Burt's home to steal back their Fiat. Atrocious behavior.

So, was this a classic LBC undercover sting where an agent posed as a buyer and purchased BTC from Burt, allegedly for buying drugs online or something like that?
legendary
Activity: 992
Merit: 1000
Something doesn't make sense.  If they made a mistake and dropped the charges, why did you have to pay them so much money?  Huh

He had to pay them an extortion fee to have the charges dropped. If he hadn't done that they would have dragged it out even longer and he would have had to keep paying more for his lawyer anyway.

It's the american dream baby. Be a LEO and steal money from hard working americans. If they resist, bankrupt them and stick em in solitary confinement and have em be in "contempt of court" to boot.

...or he isn't telling the whole story

No. The agency that arrested him is 100% funded by civil asset forfeiture. They wanted his money and they weren't going to let go until they got it.
Activity: 466
Merit: 500
Something doesn't make sense.  If they made a mistake and dropped the charges, why did you have to pay them so much money?  Huh

He had to pay them an extortion fee to have the charges dropped. If he hadn't done that they would have dragged it out even longer and he would have had to keep paying more for his lawyer anyway.

It's the american dream baby. Be a LEO and steal money from hard working americans. If they resist, bankrupt them and stick em in solitary confinement and have em be in "contempt of court" to boot.

...or he isn't telling the whole story
legendary
Activity: 994
Merit: 1034
What if you didn't give them all your bitcoins.

Since it's possible to use bitcoin privately and anonymously, you could own bitcoins they don't know about. When they demand passwords you only give up part of your holdings.

They could imprison you forever if they even suspect you are with-holding passwords. This is also the reason why the probably made a lot of transactions shortly before the raid. They purchased a bulk of the coins than raided Burt's home to steal back their Fiat. Atrocious behavior.

The worst aspect of this is they only need to ruin a few peoples lives before they ultimately succeed in achieving their primary objective.... forcing everyone to use exchanges that follow KYC where they can monitor and shutdown accounts.
Activity: 261
Merit: 521
I would really like to see them take something that only i can unlock, since i don't keep any passwords or similar things written or stored.
They would need my consent in order to take bitcoins away from me, which i doubt i would ever do, even faced with larger losses. Thank god i don't live in USA tho
How did they take the Bitcoins?
Did they just tell you to send all of the Bitcoins to a specific address, or did they take your private keys?

I know nothing about other countries but here in the US they have this thing called "contempt of court" which is the second most odious part of the law, right behind civil asset forfeiture.

All the judge needs to do is say "give me the password to all of your Bitcoins or you will be in contempt of court".  If you do not then give them your Bitcoins you will be sent to jail.

Note that for the most part it is almost impossible to appeal "contempt of court"

Also, they can keep you in jail until you produce the password they want.  That means forever - there is no time limit.

So your passwords are only as secure as your willingness to go to jail to keep them secret.

What if you didn't give them all your bitcoins?

Since it's possible to use bitcoin privately and anonymously, you could own bitcoins they don't know about. When they demand passwords you only give up part of your holdings.
legendary

Activity: 679
Merit: 526
legendary

Fuck the police state. Civil asset forfeiture is legalized robbery. They can literally use any excuse they want to just come in and steal our shit. These pigs are greedy as fuck.

Bitcoin is great, but we need an alternative choice of society and government as well.

We're all still vulnerable living in this police state bullshit. And they will fight tooth and nail to keep it that way. We need a new government. Our leaders have failed We the People.

Activity: 434
Young but I'm not that bold
What happened to you is so creepy :/
I wonder what will they do with your btc ? Will they store it only in this address or they will exchange it to dollars ?!?
Activity: 672
http://fuk.io - check it out!
so burt wot happend exactly did they steal you bitcoins didnt u give some on reserve for yourself in cold storage tell me more
You can read all about it here:

www.burtw.com

www.jmwagner.com

and, of course, here:

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/burtw-arrested-update-charges-dropped-934268

sick story
Activity: 826
tl;dr:  I was charged with operating a money transmittal business without a licence for my trading activity on localbitcoins.com. (profile) 
Did you received or sent FIAT from or to outside of the USA through bank transaction, cash or any other means ?

All of my localbitcoins.com transactions were cash in person trades at a local coffee shop.
Oops. That is highly risky. Anyone from any country using LBC must avoid cash transaction, because it does not leave a trail. And if you do not leave a trail, administration will naturally be suspicious about you. It works like this...

You probably sold 1 BTC against 200 USD and paid tax accordingly. But, if you do it in cash, administration has no other way than simply trusting you that you sold 1 BTC only. You may have sold 10 BTC against cash and reported 1 BTC. Authorities do not like this. Whenver you are changing BTC against FIAT, do it online. Keep a trail and show it if you are in trouble. I never heard anyone to be in trouble using LBC for online transactions only within the country.

But if he paid tax for them than what's the problem here? US laws are really weird. I know a lot of people do same things in Europe and don't even pay tax. They don't get in trouble, because there's no law about Bitcoin trading.
Activity: 560
Well this US wanna control all,but bitcoin were designed to be decentralized,with these no one could track our trades soo why they had acess to your bitcoins did you had declared them or made some fortune selling and buying the bitcoins?
legendary
Activity: 854
I can flood the wallet with spam transactions if you want?
Will it help him in any way?
I advertise there but that's the extent of it

Looking at your LBC profile feedback, it looks like you were doing more than just advertising on LBC.

turtlehurricane said he was only advertising.

Your quote from LBC is about BurtW.

They are different people.

Good catch, it doesn't change his feedback though.  That cannot have helped him!
Here are the 186 ($42,222.00 as of this posting) Bitcoins taken from me by Homeland Security:

https://blockchain.info/address/1Eu38i1DkRAPAJhSqbseVroJDpMRfJbAx3

I am sure you guys can come up with some creative, interesting, fun ideas to do with this information.

I'm horrified by your story. Outright scary!

Eventually,  I assume Homeland Security will want to cash out, by selling these coins on an exchange or auction them out to an investor (like the Silk Road coins).

Just as the community should be encouraged to not trade with stolen coins, obtained through hacking of exchanges etc, I similarly feel no one should purchase or be involved in the trade of 'tainted' coins such as yours that were stolen from you by the State.

Hopefully, someone will take their time to ensure these coins are tracked so that any future potential buyer can be made aware of where these coins came from.
Activity: 784
tl;dr:  I was charged with operating a money transmittal business without a licence for my trading activity on localbitcoins.com. (profile)  
Did you received or sent FIAT from or to outside of the USA through bank transaction, cash or any other means ?

All of my localbitcoins.com transactions were cash in person trades at a local coffee shop.
Oops. That is highly risky. Anyone from any country using LBC must avoid cash transaction, because it does not leave a trail. And if you do not leave a trail, administration will naturally be suspicious about you. It works like this...

You probably sold 1 BTC against 200 USD and paid tax accordingly. But, if you do it in cash, administration has no other way than simply trusting you that you sold 1 BTC only. You may have sold 10 BTC against cash and reported 1 BTC. Authorities do not like this. Whenver you are changing BTC against FIAT, do it online. Keep a trail and show it if you are in trouble. I never heard anyone to be in trouble using LBC for online transactions only within the country.
legendary
Activity: 2940
Merit: 1330
I advertise there but that's the extent of it

Looking at your LBC profile feedback, it looks like you were doing more than just advertising on LBC.

turtlehurricane said he was only advertising.

Your quote from LBC is about BurtW.

They are different people.
Makes me feel like I got off  "light" compared with you.

Mind telling us your story?
legendary
Activity: 994
Merit: 1034
It would be interesting to see how the fed and courts in the US interpret "Business" if you:

Trade bitcoins for fiat at bitcoin meetups for no profit at spot price.

Is this technically a business? I suppose they could prosecute these individuals for tax fraud when they don't exactly pay the capital gains from bitcoins volatility... but what if you purchase the bitcoins instantly through an exchange and had the buyer pay spot+exchange fee thus no change in value?

What if an exchange created btc coupons that could be sold to redeem bitcoin and those in turn were sold for profit locally? (Like BTChina was doing) . Do the laws qualify coupons as needing a money transmitters license?

Perhaps we need to take a page from all the fortune 500 companies which use a well known loophole to bypass gambling laws. Sell a product(sticker) that enters user in a contest with a chance to win bitcoin (from foreign exchange and with extremely high odds of winning) and no requirement of purchase necessary if users fill out a form to be mailed one opportunity to win btc(limit 1 per address)
tl;dr:  I was charged with operating a money transmittal business without a licence for my trading activity on localbitcoins.com. (profile)  

I remove myself from localbitcoins completely, I advertise there but that's the extent of it. The way it is setup now makes it too easy for criminals and undercovers .

The simple act of advertising on localbitcoins means you might be considered to be running a business. 

If you are running a business then it can/will be considered a money transmittal business and you can be arrested, throw in jail, have your property (computers, Bitcoins, cash, gold, silver, etc.) seized, and face up to a five year prison sentence - that is what happened to me.

It is not the act of using localbitcoins to do your trading that they use to seize your property, it is the advertising on the internet and the doing "business" with the general public that allows them to come in and seize your property.

Looking at your LBC profile feedback, it looks like you were doing more than just advertising on LBC.  And comments like the one below could stand out to law enforcement and make them take notice.

July 9, 2014, 12:36 a.m.
+ BurtW was a Pro, and help this noob out with his first Local Bitcoin transaction. I almost giving up on Local Bitcoins, as I never heard back from one person after a day, and another person couldn't remember if I was buying or selling bitcoins right before I was going to meet them. Then the person cancelled on me and offered no help. But BurtW was a diamond in the ruff and was able to buy $4.5k worth of bitcoins from me, which isn't chump change. He responded fast and I never worried about the deal. I will be using BurtW every month to sell tens of thousands of dollars worth of Bitcoins. If he can handle that, then he can handle any order.

Pages:
Jump to: