Pages:
Author

Topic: [For Developers] n0nce's Bitcoin Testnet Faucet [~10 tBTC] - page 2. (Read 2278 times)

legendary
Activity: 1568
Merit: 6660
bitcoincleanup.com / bitmixlist.org
There's nothing else you need to do. However do be warned that testnet mining relies on the block difficulty dropping suddenly to the minimum (1) before an epoch consisting of 2016 mined blocks has almost been completed. You will have much better luck mining on Signet if you desire a more permanent chain than regtest.

How can I try the Signet then? What do I have to do? Is it possible to switch the chain? I noticed that I had almost nothing to do except select the directory when I started Installing the Bitcoin core again. When I go to my Windows search, If I write Bitcoin, I get two apps: one is the main Bitcoin core and the other is the Bitcoin core testnet. When I run the testnet, I guess testnet3 loads by default.

You have to run bitcoin-qt -signet (or as bitcoind), -testnet activates the testnet3 chain not the signet chain.

Otherwise the operation of signet is very similar to testnet. See this Stack Exchange question for details.

You might run into some convenience issues such as no widely available block explorer for Signet, but that is because it is so new and was only created 4 years ago.
Activity: 462
Merit: 767
#SWGT CERTIK Audited
There's nothing else you need to do. However do be warned that testnet mining relies on the block difficulty dropping suddenly to the minimum (1) before an epoch consisting of 2016 mined blocks has almost been completed. You will have much better luck mining on Signet if you desire a more permanent chain than regtest.

How can I try the Signet then? What do I have to do? Is it possible to switch the chain? I noticed that I had almost nothing to do except select the directory when I started Installing the Bitcoin core again. When I go to my Windows search, If I write Bitcoin, I get two apps: one is the main Bitcoin core and the other is the Bitcoin core testnet. When I run the testnet, I guess testnet3 loads by default.

2. If your plan is to share your tests online, you can use signet.
3. If you don't want to have centralized mining, you can use testnet3.

Options two and three seem good to me. So, I would like to switch to Signet because as NotAThether said, I will have better luck mining tbtc. I will check the tutorial images and try to figure out what should I do.
Activity: 667
Merit: 1529
I am running the Bitcoin core with the GUI.
There is some tutorial in this topic: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/testnet-bitcoin-activate-experience-it-but-dont-trade-and-get-scammed-5215716

Of course, images are broken, but they are still available, if you copy those links, and open them separately. For example, here is how you can pick the network. You can type all command-line options there, including "--noconnect" to go offline, if you want to.

I don't know the difference between testnet3 and regtest or signet.
1. If you want to just mine any blocks on your CPU, no matter what, then you can use regtest.
2. If your plan is to share your tests online, you can use signet.
3. If you don't want to have centralized mining, you can use testnet3.

Should I be there again after downloading the whole blockchain?
There are many options, you don't have to wait. If you want to test, what would happen, if the block 123456 would be different, then you only need the first 123455 blocks to test it.

Or is there anything else I have to do before I download the blocks?
There are many options. If you don't want to wait for Initial Blockchain Download, you can just run regtest, and construct the whole chain from scratch.
legendary
No. I have never used the console and I don't know the command lines as well. I am running the Bitcoin core with the GUI. I don't know how to pick the chains. I am running the testnet node at this moment and it's still syching the headers. I don't know the difference between testnet3 and regtest or signet. How can I pick one of the chains using the GUI?

You cannot switch between chains at runtime. You have to run bitcoin-qt -testnet in order to launch the GUI in testnet mode, and it can also run simultaneously with node from some other chain like mainnet.

My block directory name is E:\testnet3\blocks. So, I assume I am going to download testnet3 blockchains. What will be my next step? Should I be there again after downloading the whole blockchain? Or is there anything else I have to do before I download the blocks?

#SWGT CERTIK Audited
It is important to know, that there are more networks than mainnet. You can currently pick from mainnet, testnet3, regtest and signet in the current version of Bitcoin Core.

--If you can run Bitcoin Core from console window, then you know everything you need. Just use a different flag, when starting the client:

No. I have never used the console and I don't know the command lines as well. I am running the Bitcoin core with the GUI. I don't know how to pick the chains. I am running the testnet node at this moment and it's still syching the headers. I don't know the difference between testnet3 and regtest or signet. How can I pick one of the chains using the GUI?

My block directory name is E:\testnet3\blocks. So, I assume I am going to download testnet3 blockchains. What will be my next step? Should I be there again after downloading the whole blockchain? Or is there anything else I have to do before I download the blocks?
But I haven't tried running the testnet node.
It is important to know, that there are more networks than mainnet. You can currently pick from mainnet, testnet3, regtest and signet in the current version of Bitcoin Core.

I haven't found a single Tutorial video on YouTube about it.
If you can run Bitcoin Core from console window, then you know everything you need. Just use a different flag, when starting the client:
Code:
./bitcoin-qt --help

Chain selection options:

-chain=
       Use the chain (default: main). Allowed values: main, test,
       signet, regtest

-signet
       Use the signet chain. Equivalent to -chain=signet. Note that the network
       is defined by the -signetchallenge parameter

-signetchallenge
       Blocks must satisfy the given script to be considered valid (only for
       signet networks; defaults to the global default signet test
       network challenge)

-signetseednode
       Specify a seed node for the signet network, in the hostname[:port]
       format, e.g. sig.net:1234 (may be used multiple times to specify
       multiple seed nodes; defaults to the global default signet test
       network seed node(s))

-testnet
       Use the test chain. Equivalent to -chain=test.

And then, I usually start all of those networks offline, and remove "noconnect" option, when I have to go online:
Code:
./bitcoin-qt --noconnect            # starting the mainnet in offline mode
./bitcoin-qt --noconnect -testnet   # offline testnet3
./bitcoin-qt             -regtest   # this network is offline by default
./bitcoin-qt --noconnect -signet    # blocks are signed there

Currently, I am downloading the whole testnet chain, and I don't know how long it will take.
Pick the best network for your goals. You don't have to stick with testnet3. If you just want to mine some blocks on CPU, and you want to do that offline, then just pick regtest, and don't worry about Initial Blockchain Download.

And if you want to make it online, then you can use signet, and pick your own signetchallenge. For example, you can use " OP_DUP OP_NOTIF OP_ENDIF", then you can synchronize existing signet, and mine your own blocks on top of that (or you can just pick OP_TRUE, if you want to use signet in the same way as testnet3).

Now, if you ask me about the purposes, I am not a dev, (I don't have coding knowledge) but I do some freelance work. Sometimes, clients ask to test their projects in addition to my work. Moreover, Having some testnet coins is better for the future as well. I may help others when they need it.
As I said, if you need some online, private test network, then you should probably use signet, with your own signetchallenge. And to make things easy, you can change existing 1-of-2 multisig, into for example 1-of-3 multisig, and add your own public key, as the third key. This is also sufficient to synchronize official signet chain.
#SWGT CERTIK Audited
Is it possible to mine Testnet Bitcoin without an ASIC miner or a GPU?
Yes, of course:

1. Download the whole testnet chain.
2. Connect two nodes on localhost.
3. Go offline for 20 minutes (or simply put your local system clock 20 minutes forward).
4. Mine the new testnet block with the minimal difficulty on your CPU.

Of course, if you reconnect, then your block will be reorged immediately. However, if your goal is to test things (for example you want to test mining), then doing it offline should be sufficient. And if you download the whole chain in step one, then all transaction IDs will be preserved, so you will be able to test all cases you want.

Thanks for the help. Previously, I tried running the Bitcoin core full node and pruned node. But I haven't tried running the testnet node. I am not sure if I will be able to do what you have mentioned. I haven't found a single Tutorial video on YouTube about it. Currently, I am downloading the whole testnet chain, and I don't know how long it will take.

Now, if you ask me about the purposes, I am not a dev, (I don't have coding knowledge) but I do some freelance work. Sometimes, clients ask to test their projects in addition to my work. Moreover, Having some testnet coins is better for the future as well. I may help others when they need it.
Is it possible to mine Testnet Bitcoin without an ASIC miner or a GPU?
Yes, of course:

1. Download the whole testnet chain.
2. Connect two nodes on localhost.
3. Go offline for 20 minutes (or simply put your local system clock 20 minutes forward).
4. Mine the new testnet block with the minimal difficulty on your CPU.

Of course, if you reconnect, then your block will be reorged immediately. However, if your goal is to test things (for example you want to test mining), then doing it offline should be sufficient. And if you download the whole chain in step one, then all transaction IDs will be preserved, so you will be able to test all cases you want.

Also, it is possible to copy some transactions into regtest, and then you can easily mine blocks on your CPU, and test everything you want. Here is how: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.63437260

And note that there is some ongoing discussion about the future of testnet3, and potentially resetting the network, and reaching for example testnet4: https://groups.google.com/g/bitcoindev/c/9bL00vRj7OU

Which also means, that depending on what do you want to achieve, using signet or regtest may be easier in some cases, if you honestly want to test things, and not just get some testnet coins, because of some altcoins.
#SWGT CERTIK Audited
It seems there is too much demand for Testnet BTC. I was trying a new project and I need some tBTC to check it for my client. However, most of the faucets available have died due to high demand. @n0nce, I am not sure if you are still sending testnet BTC or not. If so, please help me with 0.05 Testnet BTC to this address tb1p6y4jev5h8qt2f5sczmlmzxx2j5xkrfv9pmfek56mjss7mxz94p9szcj7sf

Moreover, I want to ask a simple question. Is it possible to mine Testnet Bitcoin without an ASIC miner or a GPU? Is it possible to mine with a laptop or a Computer? Let me know, please. I would love to mine some Testnet Bitcoin.
Activity: 298
Merit: 0
Amount: <0.1 tBTC>
Address:
Project:

Can you do a tBTC swap to BRC20? I will at in bitcoin
Activity: 1
Amount: <0.1 tBTC>
Address:
Project:
Activity: 298
I'm going to start buying testnet coins. Who wants to sell me 50k worth?

Amount: <5 tBTC>
Address:
Project: Babylon chain
Activity: 5
Amount: <1.0 tBTC>
Address:
Project:
Amount: 0.05
Address: tb1qjz567wcycqz3ak8une3f6y9l8ydfe63tplgq23
Project: satoshivm testnet
Activity: 6
Amount: <1.0>
Address:
Project:
Activity: 3
Amount: <0.2>
Address:
Project:
legendary
I wonder why on earth you need so much Testnet Bitcoins. Please provide one or two practical examples with detailed explanations so I can understand. Huh

I simply can't comprehend why so many people are so greedy for such large amounts of tBTC. Having just a few milli tBTC should suffice for conducting dozens, if not hundreds, of transactions for various tests. Why the greed for such large sums? please enlighten me.
Some scammers promise them airdrops. Multiply that by the number of accounts created per person, and 5 Testnet Bitcoins makes (air quotes) "sense".

SatoshiVM airdrop in exchange for NFTs.
Activity: 239
Merit: 59
a young loner on a crusade
I wonder why on earth you need so much Testnet Bitcoins. Please provide one or two practical examples with detailed explanations so I can understand. Huh

I simply can't comprehend why so many people are so greedy for such large amounts of tBTC. Having just a few milli tBTC should suffice for conducting dozens, if not hundreds, of transactions for various tests. Why the greed for such large sums? please enlighten me.
Some scammers promise them airdrops. Multiply that by the number of accounts created per person, and 5 Testnet Bitcoins makes (air quotes) "sense".
Activity: 630
Merit: 731
Bitcoin g33k

Pages:
Jump to: