Pages:
Author

Topic: further improved phatk_dia kernel for Phoenix + SDK 2.6 - 2012-01-13 - page 6. (Read 106700 times)

Activity: 265
Merit: 250
I have finally found the 3% boost that I was talking about. Would this work with your improvement?

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/3-faster-mining-with-phoenixphatk-diablo-or-poclbm-for-everyone-23067
sd
Activity: 730
Merit: 500
try rebooting your computer before running the kernel
any time I switch kernels I get hardware errors

I tried it and but it didn't help. I get the exact same low hashrate and hardware errors after the reboot.

EDIT: After installing phoenix 1.6.2 the new kernel works perfectly. Either I screwed something up or the latest kernel just doesn't work with phoenix 1.5. It's working now but it's 2.5Mhash/Sec slower than the phatk2.2 one with the same settings.

That results seem accurate, phatk2.2 is a bit faster on VLIW5 hardware. Could you take a look at your temperatures or number of accepted shares in comparison to phatk2.2?

Thanks,
Dia

The temperature seems somewhere between 2 and 4 degrees cooler. I'm solo mining so the only shares I generate are real blocks. I can't tell if anything has improved in that regard.

Activity: 769

I tried it and but it didn't help. I get the exact same low hashrate and hardware errors after the reboot.

EDIT: After installing phoenix 1.6.2 the new kernel works perfectly. Either I screwed something up or the latest kernel just doesn't work with phoenix 1.5. It's working now but it's 2.5Mhash/Sec slower than the phatk2.2 one with the same settings.

That results seem accurate, phatk2.2 is a bit faster on VLIW5 hardware. Could you take a look at your temperatures or number of accepted shares in comparison to phatk2.2?

Thanks,
Dia
sd

Activity: 658
Download version 2011-08-27: http://www.mediafire.com/?697r8t2pdk419ji

This version is a bit faster on 58XX cards, reports indicate it can be faster on 69XX cards, too ... I guess this is because of the optimized writing to the output buffer.
You can leave out the BFI_INT switch, but remember to supply the VECTORS2 switch Smiley! This version takes care of wrong WORKSIZE arguments, too ... if you forget that switch, if it has an too big value or if it's not a power of 2, the maximum supported WORKSIZE for each device is used.

Thanks,
Dia

I get a lot of hardware errors with this kernel but none from the phatk-2.2 kernel:
sd
I run a 5870 with 900 Core and 350 Mem, NO errors at all ... so you could try to lower your Core clock a little. Strange that phatk2 gives you no errors.
What Hasrate are you achieving?

On phatk2.2 I'm getting 433.5 MHash/Sec.
On the new kernel I'm getting 345.35 MHash/Sec and hardware errors a few times a minute. 80MHash/Sec less!

That's with all other settings being equal. The only thing I changed was VECTORS to VECTORS2 and I removed BFI_INT from the kernel arguments.

Upgrading phoenix won't actually change anything relevant will it?
sd
I run a 5870 with 900 Core and 350 Mem, NO errors at all ... so you could try to lower your Core clock a little. Strange that phatk2 gives you no errors.

434.39 Mhash/sec On Phatk2.2. I got no hardware errors for weeks on the phatk 2.2 kernel. I'll try adjusting the clockrate.

Nice work BTW. I've sent you ( small ) donations in the past.

This version is a bit faster on 58XX cards, reports indicate it can be faster on 69XX cards, too ... I guess this is because of the optimized writing to the output buffer.
You can leave out the BFI_INT switch, but remember to supply the VECTORS2 switch Smiley! This version takes care of wrong WORKSIZE arguments, too ... if you forget that switch, if it has an too big value or if it's not a power of 2, the maximum supported WORKSIZE for each device is used.

Thanks,
Dia

I get a lot of hardware errors with this kernel but none from the phatk-2.2 kernel:

[30/08/2011 21:03:37] Kernel error: Unusual behavior from OpenCL. Hardware problem?
[30/08/2011 21:03:42] Kernel error: Unusual behavior from OpenCL. Hardware problem?
[30/08/2011 21:03:53] Kernel error: Unusual behavior from OpenCL. Hardware problem?

That's with the core clocked to 940 and ram clocked down to 300. I'm using phoenix 1.5 and SDK 2.4 with both kernel versions. The GPU is a HD5870.

Is this a kernel fault, a hardware fault, or am I doing something wrong?

Dia
sd

Thanks,
Dia

[30/08/2011 21:03:37] Kernel error: Unusual behavior from OpenCL. Hardware problem?
[30/08/2011 21:03:42] Kernel error: Unusual behavior from OpenCL. Hardware problem?
[30/08/2011 21:03:53] Kernel error: Unusual behavior from OpenCL. Hardware problem?

That's with the core clocked to 940 and ram clocked down to 300. I'm using phoenix 1.5 and SDK 2.4 with both kernel versions. The GPU is a HD5870.

Is this a kernel fault, a hardware fault, or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks,
Dia
donator
Activity: 2352
Merit: 1060
between a rock and a block!
i've noticed a 2 degree temp drop using phatk2 with the 1.6 phoenix. Nice!

allowed me to increase the clock speed to a level that before wasnot stable. now it's stable a a little bit higher clock rate.

will try lowering mem some more based on other's feedback here.
I made an interesting discovery during my own tests with the new kernel version. I had to up the memory clock of my 5870 from 200 to 350 MHz in order to achieve the highest hashing values. Another thing to mention is, that I drive a Phenom II X6 1090T with only 800 MHz for every core, due to power saving, while mining. If I let the CPU use full speed, MHash/s goes even higher, let's say 3-4 MH/s.

Conclusion: Perhaps you guys should try to raise your mem speeds + experiment with CPU clocks, too. I know it has to be a good balance, so that higher MH/s values are not eaten by higher energy costs.

Dia

I'm actually finding with the 8-11 kernel that memory speed can be dropped down very low and still maintain optimal performance.  I've got a total of 5 58X0 cards running, and they're all perfectly content to max out the MH/s at 150MHz memory speed.

So while I've found that phatk 2.2 can do about 1-1.5% higher than 8-11 at the same core speed, phatk likes a memory speed up around 430MHz for optimal performance.  So with that memory speed drop, I'm seeing about 2-3C lower core temps on my cards...or about 20MHz higher core speeds for the same temps, which more than makes up for the performance gap.

Very interesting, but I guess currently the focus for most users is on phatk2, even if your observation could turn out to change some users mind Wink. I'm still working on the kernel, but the really big jumps are hard to do these days Cheesy.

Dia
Activity: 36
Merit: 0
I made an interesting discovery during my own tests with the new kernel version. I had to up the memory clock of my 5870 from 200 to 350 MHz in order to achieve the highest hashing values. Another thing to mention is, that I drive a Phenom II X6 1090T with only 800 MHz for every core, due to power saving, while mining. If I let the CPU use full speed, MHash/s goes even higher, let's say 3-4 MH/s.

Conclusion: Perhaps you guys should try to raise your mem speeds + experiment with CPU clocks, too. I know it has to be a good balance, so that higher MH/s values are not eaten by higher energy costs.

Dia

I'm actually finding with the 8-11 kernel that memory speed can be dropped down very low and still maintain optimal performance.  I've got a total of 5 58X0 cards running, and they're all perfectly content to max out the MH/s at 150MHz memory speed.

So while I've found that phatk 2.2 can do about 1-1.5% higher than 8-11 at the same core speed, phatk likes a memory speed up around 430MHz for optimal performance.  So with that memory speed drop, I'm seeing about 2-3C lower core temps on my cards...or about 20MHz higher core speeds for the same temps, which more than makes up for the performance gap.
Activity: 658
I am getting about the same with diapolo's as I do with phatk2.2 on a 5750 with memory clock at 200, worksize 256, vectors2

I'm using fpgaminer's modified poclbm
Activity: 418
Merit: 250
On Cat 11.8 Preview:

Your latest: 307 MH/s
Phateus 2.2: 312 MH/s

(5830 @ 965/300, Worksize 256)
Activity: 18
Merit: 0
I was running the 8-4-2011 pre-release before this and the new 8-11-2011 release yields identical hash rates on my 6950.

Cat 11.8 preview.
Did anyone with SDK 2.5 check this out? I get better results on 5870 and 5830 than with former kernels and I had hoped 69XX would be really faster :-/.

Dia
Activity: 224
Merit: 10
I'm giving this a go.

5850, all the usual flags, aggression 11. Dropped 1.5mhash compared to phatk 2.2 but we'll see if invalid shares also drop and/or valid shares go up. I'll edit this post in a day or so (if I remember).
legendary
Activity: 1855
Merit: 1016
436 & 426 using diapolo 2011-8-11.
While phatk 2.2 of Phateus gives 448 & 433.

Windows 7, 64 bit, AERO enabled, AOCLBF 1.75, for diapolo used vectors2 & removed check mark for vectors in AOCLBF.
Aggression=12, worksize=256
11.8 catalyst beta.
MSI R5870 Lightning & Sapphore HD 5870.
975/325 & 939/313.
Activity: 182
Merit: 100
11.8 / SDK 2.4   920c/320m  5850 reference

-k phatk VECTORS VECTORS2 BFI_INT FASTLOOP=false AGGRESSION=10 WORKSIZE=256

393-394 Mh/s, compared to 398-399 with prior version.
Pages:
Jump to: