Pages:
Author

Topic: Garage / Residential Data Center Mining Cave Planning - Garage Grotto Part 1 :D - page 3. (Read 6955 times)

Activity: 1414
Merit: 487
YouTube.com/VoskCoin
Shed is a great idea. With 3000cfm fan pulling from inside your house your home A/C would never keep up anyway and would run constantly, taking all your mining rewards. The size(mining are) isnt that important...getting the heat out quickly is. I hope to have my shed delivered in the next two weeks. I still have to get underground power over there but shouldnt be much of an issue. Im going with a 36" 5000cfm fan. I will be getting a 12x26 shed and dividing it off only to use a smaller portion for my mining room( approx 10x12 area). The rest will be storage. If you havent got yours situated by then maybe i will have more advice at that time. I think the shed is the proper way to go.

Definitely keep me posted, even just update your journey in this thread if you'd like!

Why did you choose a 5000cfm fan?

for 20-30 rigs with 6x cards each in a 12x12 how much fan am I going to need?

What's the best setup for the fan? blow through intake on right exhaust on left side, or intake vents on both left and right with 2 big attic exhaust fans in the middle? Just want to build the most efficient setup possible you know?

You will have to determine the total cubic feet of the space your trying to cool. So if your space is 10x12x8 = 960 cubic feet
If you get a 3000 CFM (cubic feet per minute) fan, it will take about 20 sec to displace that space with "new air".
You will also need to consider intake and exhaust, make sure you have adequate airflow.

You ever have a 18" box fan and cover the back of it with something? It kills the air flow. Samething could happen with your setup.

Planning on 12x12

Ultimately what's the best plan for cooling two 1500-2000 cfm fans mounted on one side? on the ceiling? one on side one on the ceiling? Also how much sq ft in vent would I need to keep proper airflow? Sorry for all the questions this is just out of my realm!
Activity: 12
Merit: 0
Which one exactly? ^

Guys what fans should I be using? Simply slap a large (but how large?) intake fan on the right side then blow through and a large (is 3000 CFM the right size?) exhaust fan on the left. Is it this simple?

Oh, now I look stupid. The PDUMV30HV. I chose this over one of the smaller cheaper options because my setup specifically needed two separate monitored circuits, one for the top half and one for the bottom half of my rack. For a small room as long as you're going with a limited number of power supplies one of the smaller PDUs should work just fine.
Do you have an photos of your build? Definitely a visual man xD

It's not the cleanest and I don't have any pictures of the PDU up close, and this garage is 30 minutes away so I can't get any of it right this second. But you can see it hanging on the side of the rack to the left and the L6-30P plug on the wall behind the rack. Top rack is mine, 16x 1070s. Bottom half is a friends 12x 1070s and 4x 470s. Running in a 3rd friends garage, which is why we needed a metered PDU, split to monitor my half/friends half. (not pictured, 3rd friends small setup of 470s).

http://i.imgur.com/SNgjEUm.jpg

Have you noticed an improvement in cooling by hanging them vertically like that? This is my setup, yours looks cleaner though https://i.redd.it/kl8ixkuks0uy.jpg

You should trim the ends of your zip ties! lol

I haven't really noticed an improvement no. The room still heats up like crazy regardless of orienation. For blower fans it helps keep the heat in an upward direction but there comes a point where it just doesn't matter.

If I had a dollar for every time someone told me to trim those things I wouldn't need to be mining at all.
Activity: 70
Which one exactly? ^

Guys what fans should I be using? Simply slap a large (but how large?) intake fan on the right side then blow through and a large (is 3000 CFM the right size?) exhaust fan on the left. Is it this simple?

Oh, now I look stupid. The PDUMV30HV. I chose this over one of the smaller cheaper options because my setup specifically needed two separate monitored circuits, one for the top half and one for the bottom half of my rack. For a small room as long as you're going with a limited number of power supplies one of the smaller PDUs should work just fine.

It's not the cleanest and I don't have any pictures of the PDU up close, and this garage is 30 minutes away so I can't get any of it right this second. But you can see it hanging on the side of the rack to the left and the L6-30P plug on the wall behind the rack. Top rack is mine, 16x 1070s. Bottom half is a friends 12x 1070s and 4x 470s. Running in a 3rd friends garage, which is why we needed a metered PDU, split to monitor my half/friends half. (not pictured, 3rd friends small setup of 470s).

Have you noticed an improvement in cooling by hanging them vertically like that? This is my setup, yours looks cleaner though https://i.redd.it/kl8ixkuks0uy.jpg

You should trim the ends of your zip ties! lol
Activity: 18
Shed is a great idea. With 3000cfm fan pulling from inside your house your home A/C would never keep up anyway and would run constantly, taking all your mining rewards. The size(mining are) isnt that important...getting the heat out quickly is. I hope to have my shed delivered in the next two weeks. I still have to get underground power over there but shouldnt be much of an issue. Im going with a 36" 5000cfm fan. I will be getting a 12x26 shed and dividing it off only to use a smaller portion for my mining room( approx 10x12 area). The rest will be storage. If you havent got yours situated by then maybe i will have more advice at that time. I think the shed is the proper way to go.

Definitely keep me posted, even just update your journey in this thread if you'd like!

What's the best setup for the fan? blow through intake on right exhaust on left side, or intake vents on both left and right with 2 big attic exhaust fans in the middle? Just want to build the most efficient setup possible you know?

You will have to determine the total cubic feet of the space your trying to cool. So if your space is 10x12x8 = 960 cubic feet
If you get a 3000 CFM (cubic feet per minute) fan, it will take about 20 sec to displace that space with "new air".
You will also need to consider intake and exhaust, make sure you have adequate airflow.

You ever have a 18" box fan and cover the back of it with something? It kills the air flow. Samething could happen with your setup.
Which one exactly? ^

YouTube.com/VoskCoin
Which one exactly? ^

YouTube.com/VoskCoin

YouTube.com/VoskCoin
Which one exactly? ^

Activity: 663
Merit: 501
I ran 30 cards total, 5 rigs, 6 cards each. All 380's 600 MH/s mining ETH. I was finding a 1.5 blocks a day when I first started, then a block a day as more people joined the circus.

Power bill was $850 to $900
Activity: 116
Merit: 10
5 Rigs or are you going to grow. You can run 5 rigs on a 50 Amp 230V circuit easily with room for about 4 more. You have plenty of open slots for expansion. I would definitely recommend a PDU or 2 to handle the PSU connections from the rigs and run them at 230/240V since the PSU's are more efficient. It's only like 2-3% but worth it.

You are running older cards and will want to exhaust the heat generated by those 280X to the outside. Phil has a good idea, I did something different and bought 2 - 30 inch barrel fans and opened the garage side door and stapled a screen over the frame. Built a tarp canopy out of PVC pipe and a tarp to keep out the rain. Placed the fans on a wire shelf and had them facing so that they pulled air across the rigs in front of them. Had to keep my garage door open about 4 inches to let fresh outside ambient air in. In August in Florida my cards all stayed under 75 degrees Celsius.

I ran 5 rigs for several months last summer. I only have 100 amp service, and was tripping breakers a lot, especially since we have a Volt with a level 2 charger. I had to explain to my wife not to plug in her car till after we finished cooking dinner. Stove + Volt + A/C + Hot water tank + Rigs overloaded my mains.

Good luck with the build and post some pics when its running!

How large was your garage and how many cards were you running? Those are some pretty good results in FL!
Activity: 663
Merit: 501
5 Rigs or are you going to grow. You can run 5 rigs on a 50 Amp 230V circuit easily with room for about 4 more. You have plenty of open slots for expansion. I would definitely recommend a PDU or 2 to handle the PSU connections from the rigs and run them at 230/240V since the PSU's are more efficient. It's only like 2-3% but worth it.

You are running older cards and will want to exhaust the heat generated by those 280X to the outside. Phil has a good idea, I did something different and bought 2 - 30 inch barrel fans and opened the garage side door and stapled a screen over the frame. Built a tarp canopy out of PVC pipe and a tarp to keep out the rain. Placed the fans on a wire shelf and had them facing so that they pulled air across the rigs in front of them. Had to keep my garage door open about 4 inches to let fresh outside ambient air in. In August in Florida my cards all stayed under 75 degrees Celsius.

I ran 5 rigs for several months last summer. I only have 100 amp service, and was tripping breakers a lot, especially since we have a Volt with a level 2 charger. I had to explain to my wife not to plug in her car till after we finished cooking dinner. Stove + Volt + A/C + Hot water tank + Rigs overloaded my mains.

Good luck with the build and post some pics when its running!
Activity: 283
Merit: 250
legendary
Activity: 4256
Merit: 8551
'The right to privacy matters'
used pdus on ebay  will save you $$$

this will do

http://www.ebay.com/itm/216858-001-Compaq-50-60Hz-24A-4-port-PDU-Power-Distribution-Unit-30-56205-S5-/390708088945?

2 of these

http://www.ebay.com/itm/228480-002-HP-Compaq-High-Voltage-Power-Distribution-252638-001-100-240V-PDU-bar-/131836831127?

this will do   12 amps

so the above would do 24 amps  at 240 volts     which is around 40 gpus

if you do shed  no intake fans

2 exhaust fans high

I would argue in a 12 by 12 shed

using   this to feed in the air

http://www.homedepot.com/p/5-in-Fresh-Air-Vent-FAV5/100119472

cut low holes on one side of the shed.    say  6  and use the vents above.  inside the shed do  a bend up to cut down dust

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Speedi-Products-5-in-B-Vent-90-Degree-Round-Adjustable-Elbow-BV-A90-05/203530661

then use these gable fans and shutters

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Master-Flow-1600-CFM-Power-Gable-Mount-Attic-Fan-EGV6/205924917
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Master-Flow-20-in-Aluminum-Gable-Mount-Automatic-Shutter-SGM20/100092056

we have them in the array  

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.18962287

low intake vents >>>>     shed + gear  >>>>>    high exhaust fans
                                              ^
                                              ^
                                        entrance

if the intake vents  can face north  they would get the least sun.

if you silver bubble wrap the ceiling of the shed less heat from the sun

http://www.homedepot.com/s/bubble+insulation?NCNI-5

note I used it in the solar array

YouTube.com/VoskCoin
So revised plan . . .

I have ~13 ft width and 20 ft length asphalt patch

Drop 12x12 or so shed on said patch

Run fans <---exhaust [SHED] <--- intake / electric run, secure facility and done? 12x12 should give me ample room to run enough rigs to max out my power -- agreed? Thoughts / input?

Can anyone give me links to exact fans that would work for this setup, 3000 CFM?

Thank you for everyone helping here

Check out @yun9999's shed build here: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/data-center-mining-garage-and-man-mining-cave-part-2-1806061

I don't see any reason to not copy it exactly. I would try to speak with him about it though, I'm sure he has already found ways to improve it.

Those PDU's you posted would work fine. Just be aware of the number of outlets, and amp limit of the PDUs.

Agreed xD it's more applicable than ever since I'm moving to a shed setup since my garage is such a nightmare to work with
YouTube.com/VoskCoin
Which one exactly? ^

As for 240 vs 220 I am not sure, is that european vs american standard?

Either way they are more or less the same, a PSU will be rated like "100v - 240v" and can be plugged into anything in that range.
Although I'll say again, DISCLAIMER, I am no electrician, please verify with a professional.

As for power, you'll want to pick up some 240v PDUs. They are very reasonably priced when bought used.

Ehternet cables can be tied along legs of the rack, and all plugged in to an ethernet switch such as this: https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-ProSAFE-Ethernet-Rackmount-JFS524-200NAS/dp/B00DCUKCVW/ref=sr_1_2?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1494430119&sr=1-2&keywords=ethernet+switch&refinements=p_n_feature_keywords_two_browse-bin%3A7306164011

zip tie style?

for the PDU can you link me on what you think would be most beneficial for my setup?
https://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-Vertical-Rack-Mount-PDUMV30HV/dp/B0012VN0I0

something like this
https://www.neweggbusiness.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9B-12-120-346&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleBiz-PC&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleBiz-PC-_-pla-_-Power+Distribution+Units-_-9B-12-120-346&gclid=CjwKEAjw9MrIBRCr2LPek5-h8U0SJAD3jfhtB8fJDYlQVcd12k0SRi8CN5aRL4uQ53j6cCjN0Mb8lRoCKSfw_wcB one in between2 racks or something?

What would be the exact one best model for what I'm doing ?

Also after talking to these guys I think I'll have to change my plan I'm just going to screw the house up, more complicated, more expensive, etc when I could just drop a shed on my property and then have free reign to do everything that I want to do on there

So.  . what size shed do i need here my plot I can work with is 15x20

I'm thinking 12x16 would would be plenty, 14x18 maybe max?

I have this exact PDU and it works great, cables for it I bought a 10-pack on eBay for $30. I found the PDU on eBay though for $100 + $30 shipping.
Activity: 116
Merit: 10
So revised plan . . .

Run fans <---exhaust [SHED] <--- intake / electric run, secure facility and done? 12x12 should give me ample room to run enough rigs to max out my power -- agreed? Thoughts / input?

Can anyone give me links to exact fans that would work for this setup, 3000 CFM?

Check out @yun9999's shed build here: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/data-center-mining-garage-and-man-mining-cave-part-2-1806061

I don't see any reason to not copy it exactly. I would try to speak with him about it though, I'm sure he has already found ways to improve it.

Those PDU's you posted would work fine. Just be aware of the number of outlets, and amp limit of the PDUs.
YouTube.com/VoskCoin
So revised plan . . .

YouTube.com/VoskCoin
As for 240 vs 220 I am not sure, is that european vs american standard?

Either way they are more or less the same, a PSU will be rated like "100v - 240v" and can be plugged into anything in that range.
Although I'll say again, DISCLAIMER, I am no electrician, please verify with a professional.

As for power, you'll want to pick up some 240v PDUs. They are very reasonably priced when bought used.

Ehternet cables can be tied along legs of the rack, and all plugged in to an ethernet switch such as this: https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-ProSAFE-Ethernet-Rackmount-JFS524-200NAS/dp/B00DCUKCVW/ref=sr_1_2?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1494430119&sr=1-2&keywords=ethernet+switch&refinements=p_n_feature_keywords_two_browse-bin%3A7306164011

zip tie style?

for the PDU can you link me on what you think would be most beneficial for my setup?
https://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-Vertical-Rack-Mount-PDUMV30HV/dp/B0012VN0I0

something like this
https://www.neweggbusiness.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9B-12-120-346&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleBiz-PC&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleBiz-PC-_-pla-_-Power+Distribution+Units-_-9B-12-120-346&gclid=CjwKEAjw9MrIBRCr2LPek5-h8U0SJAD3jfhtB8fJDYlQVcd12k0SRi8CN5aRL4uQ53j6cCjN0Mb8lRoCKSfw_wcB one in between2 racks or something?

What would be the exact one best model for what I'm doing ?

Also after talking to these guys I think I'll have to change my plan I'm just going to screw the house up, more complicated, more expensive, etc when I could just drop a shed on my property and then have free reign to do everything that I want to do on there

So.  . what size shed do i need here my plot I can work with is 15x20

I'm thinking 12x16 would would be plenty, 14x18 maybe max?
Pages:
Jump to: