Pages:
Author

Topic: GekkoScience has a new stickminer that does 300+GH - page 35. (Read 22193 times)

legendary
Activity: 3304
Merit: 1842
Curmudgeonly hardware guy
They're bench-calibrated with power On at the factory. I tweak them with power On. Fuzzy, what's your specific reason for not doing that?
Activity: 30
Merit: 1
The USB ammeter is not 'used for tuning the sticks'. It is used just to verify that you have good power and what the load is so you know if your powered hub can supply what is needed.

The adj pot freely spins around but has just the 1 track so yes it resets to zero every 360-deg. Do NOT adjust it with power on. Looking at the dial as a clock and with the flat edge as reference the flat should be between the 15 minute mark (default) and 30 minuted mark. Mine is about the 20 min mark and happily runs 575MHz.

thanks, will try that. i been dialing with power ON all this while.
legendary
Activity: 3612
Merit: 2506
Evil beware: We have waffles!
The USB ammeter is not 'used for tuning the sticks'. It is used just to verify that you have good power and what the load is so you know if your powered hub can supply what is needed.

The adj pot freely spins around but has just the 1 track so yes it resets to zero every 360-deg. Do NOT adjust it with power on. Looking at the dial as a clock and with the flat edge as reference the flat should be between the 15 minute mark (default) and 30 minuted mark. Mine is about the 20 min mark and happily runs 575MHz.
Its pretty much what i did all day yesterday dialing up & down , looking at cgminer as it hits plateau and resets every few secs and looking at the values on the usb ameter as it responds to cgminer and to be honest, i dont even know what am looking for ... i just see the amperage go up until it resets when cgminer hits plateau ..
its been more like blind tuning & gambling, hoping to hit the target.. 
i believe there are measures to reach this..
this was supposed to be one of the fun part, i waited another 2 weeks for this final phase using the ameter to finally set up the rest of the sticks but its not at the moment ..

I have atleast one stick i did not tune because it already runs efficiently at the set hashrate without issues ...

I have tried to use readings from that one to see how to set the others but still ...

lots of us here have used the usb ameter to tune their sticks into stable hashrate, i need your inputs ... 

Am I looking in the wrong direction ? Am I mising something ?  If you keep dialing clockwise / anticlockwise, does it start all over from 0 after a 360 dial ? or it keeps going 360+ , 720+ etc ? 

and sometimes while dialing, i hear a tini tiny fast beep with fast flashing light on the stick, is that a too high dial or too low dial signal?

this is the ameter i use
https://www.amazon.com/Voltmeter-Ammeter-Current-Multimeter-Suitable/dp/B08RHKVHJZ/ref=sr_1_29?keywords=usb+volt+amp+meter&qid=1647004125&sr=8-29#descriptionAndDetails

How can i use the reference stick to setup the rest of them ?
legendary
It's about the same process for all my sticks going back to the original Compac. You fire up cgminer set to the clock speed you want it to run at, and if it runs smoothly (basically, not a lot of errors and the hashrate should be close to GH=0.672*MHz) you can dial back the voltage a bit by turning the knob anticlockwise. Repeat until it starts to run poorly, and now you know where the threshold is so turn it back up a little (knob clockwise).
If it runs poorly from the start, turn voltage up (knob clockwise) until the numbers smooth out.

The most efficient mining will occur at the lowest voltage setting at which the numbers are stable.

If you're looking to maximize hashrate at a particular power draw, tune the stick to a particular hashrate and check the power use. If it's under your target, tune again to a higher speed.
I just received the USB ammeter i ordered, been trying to use them to tune my Fs up for some hrs now..

i have looked through the thread from pg 1 and did not find anything pertaining to vcore voltage tuning guide or settings.

I have literally been testing & combing through the forum for the past 7 hrs with no luck. seems i have worsened the sticks  from random tune ups.

anyone know where this information is ?

@kano, i hear your discord has this info, can you share pls ?

while tuning, what do one watch out for in terms of target? (V)? (A)?

do you tune while cgminer is running ? or idle ?

appreciate any help i can get.
legendary
Activity: 3220
Merit: 1220
I am trying to pull  up the default miner.php from cgminer on linux using my ip-address/miner.php i assume.

Am i doing it right ?  Missing something ? Anyone ?

You need a web server with PHP running on the box.

If you have a standard Linux setup, you can check if apache is installed by just pointing a web browser at the ip address

If it isn't you need to install Apache and PHP

If it does work, you can copy miner.php the /var/www/html

Then you can try IP-address/miner.php

If that doesn't work you need to install PHP

Once installed and once you have edited miner.php you should be good to go.

Thanks. I had to install them all and i am at the miner.php edit phase currently...
abit tricky there.. what should i look out for to change in it ?

Sorry doing this by memory, I do have my miner.php working but its a while since I set it up.

AFAIK you have to set cgminer to listen for the connection

I run my cgminer using cgminer.conf in the ./.cgminer directory off my home directory.

And I have these two lines enabled

Code:
"api-listen" : true,
"api-allow" : "W:127.0.0.1"

If you are not using a conf file you can enable the API from the command line with:
Code:
--api-listen --api-allow W:127.0.0.1

Then the only thing to double check is in miner.php make sure $rigs = arrray('172.0.0.1:4028') is set up and pointing to the same port as your cgminer is using. (4028 is the default)

I am trying to pull  up the default miner.php from cgminer on linux using my ip-address/miner.php i assume.

If you have a standard Linux setup, you can check if apache is installed by just pointing a web browser at the ip address

Thanks. I had to install them all and i am at the miner.php edit phase currently...
abit tricky there.. what should i look out for to change in it ?
legendary
Activity: 3220
Merit: 1220

Activity: 5
Merit: 0
Hi guys,

I recently received a compac f stick from bitcoinmerch (after ordering it back in early November).

Unfortunately i haven't been able to get it to run nearly as well as the other 2 sticks I have that i got from asicpuppy in nov-dec. These are able to hash 350Gh/s+ @ 575ghz Smiley

After having made the purchase online Bitcoinmerch said that they were out of stock so I just had to wait.
Eventually they got new sticks at the end of january and what i recently received was apparently one of those

With some guidance from Kano I've tried:
- adjusting the start and target frequencies with cgminer
- adjusting the pot screw
- trying different ports on the Gekkoscience hub that i have.
(both with the stick solo and with the other 2 sticks)

I've got fans all over them too.

Any other suggestions?

The stick isn't able to maintain 400ghz and resets so I'm guessing it's probably just a dud.

What caught my attention was the serial number.
It's a lower number than the sticks i got from asicpuppy.
Is it possible that bitcoinmerch sent me an old stick they had floating around rather than a new one form the batch i'd waited months for?

Bitcoinmerch stick serials:
number on metal usb part: 20462
serial in cgminer: 10050154

Asicpuppy stick serials:
number on metal usb part: 20485
serial in cgminer: 10050448, 10050449

haha and chilean customs hit me with $70USD tax, wankers.

Activity: 2492
Merit: 621
Does anyone else has 1 stick never being able to reach the set frequencies?

i have one that is like significantly lower than the rest

Use the settings in cgminer to start the freq higher and close to the freq you want?
Activity: 49
Merit: 5
Does anyone else has 1 stick never being able to reach the set frequencies?

i have one that is like significantly lower than the rest
legendary
Activity: 3612
Merit: 2506
Evil beware: We have waffles!
many of us use this usb stick power meter to determine power drow by the usb miner, with this indication directly display I think it is a good help to correctly configure USB hub and tweak 5V with screw to have for example 5,2V for overclock for example
What yo feed into the stick has nothing to do with overclocking...
The stick has its own Vcore regulator which is what the adj pot changes. Feeding the stick more voltage just puts more load on that regulator.
Activity: 6
Looks great, I am sure there would be many of us looking to purchase something like this.  I am also waiting to get a GekkoScience hub and check everyday to see if I can purchase one.
thanks guys
like sidehack say, my design is working good but this power stage with linear regulator generate warm and need to be cool so this is a working solution but not the best
Activity: 6
Linear regulators for high power are gonna cause you some problems. If you're sinking 12V down to 5V, your TO220 are gonna be putting out 40% more heat than the sticks will.
can you help me to find a better solution for this step down 12V to 5V

Our original idea for the Gekko hub was to put in per-port power monitoring. I still think it's a cool idea, so nice work there.
Thanks
many of us use this usb stick power meter to determine power drow by the usb miner, with this indication directly display I think it is a good help to correctly configure USB hub and tweak 5V with screw to have for example 5,2V for overclock for example

As for hub stock, we got hit by parts price increases pretty severely so had to take the thing back to almost zero to redesign for parts we could source affordably. Couple that with a fairly time-inefficient case manufacture process and limited time available for dealing with issues around CompacF manufacture and you see the problem. Good news is we're solving problems and improving our tooling and shipping hubs. And also shipping sticks faster now too. 2022 is shaping up to be a pretty good year for GekkoScience products.
Nice news, if you need help for anything like test or other I'm here
Activity: 21
Will GekkoScience produce another batch of Compac F usb miners? I think the demand is great, all the resellers are out of stock.
legendary
Activity: 4466
Merit: 1798
Linux since 1997 RedHat 4
Code:
 [2022-03-02 14:00:27.631] USB init, open device failed, err -3, you don't have privilege to access - GSH device 2:20
 [2022-03-02 14:00:27.631] See README file included for help
Although it's already been answered directly, that last line tells you also Smiley
(SETTING UP USB DEVICES)
Activity: 16
Good To hear as I hope to be able to pick up some more of the Compac Fs and the hub.  I purchased a computer supply to power it.  I am thinking of eventually having two hubs and 4 Compac Fs per hub.

I am using a SotMa hub and it is ok.  At first I thought I had the Sipolar one.  I have 3 units in it and getting between 800 and 900 GH/s total.  Sometimes up to 1TH/S.  When I put in 1 Compac F my usb meter showed over 3A.  Not sure if this is sustained or not as this is just temporally until I can get a GekkoScience one.
legendary
Linear regulators for high power are gonna cause you some problems. If you're sinking 12V down to 5V, your TO220 are gonna be putting out 40% more heat than the sticks will.

Our original idea for the Gekko hub was to put in per-port power monitoring. I still think it's a cool idea, so nice work there.

As for hub stock, we got hit by parts price increases pretty severely so had to take the thing back to almost zero to redesign for parts we could source affordably. Couple that with a fairly time-inefficient case manufacture process and limited time available for dealing with issues around CompacF manufacture and you see the problem. Good news is we're solving problems and improving our tooling and shipping hubs. And also shipping sticks faster now too. 2022 is shaping up to be a pretty good year for GekkoScience products.
Pages:
Jump to: