Pages:
Author

Topic: Genesis Mining Presents: SGMiner-GM - now with Zawawa's GG! [Updated 17/01/2017] - page 35. (Read 140412 times)

legendary
Activity: 980
Merit: 1001
aka "whocares"
I'm getting steady 30MH/s on each Fury X on stock clocks (1050/500). Claymore's can only get about 28MH.
A 390 at 1040Mhz gets 29Mh, with some overclocking I can surely can 32-33MH, but my cards warm up too much. Definitely the best miner out there.

The only issue I can spot is the CPU usage, which makes this miner basically worthless on weak CPUs. I couldn't run it on a single-core AMD CPU and a friend of mine had his rig crashing with a dual core Celeron installed. most mining rigs have very weak CPUs, and if this miner gets updated to support them, I am sure it will get much more traction.

There is my problem, all of my rigs are on Celeron processors.  I thought I was doing something wrong when it was not my settings at all.  I got the 31 on a test bench with an i5 but cannot duplicate it on any rig
legendary
Activity: 1797
Merit: 1028
I'm getting steady 30MH/s on each Fury X on stock clocks (1050/500). Claymore's can only get about 28MH.
A 390 at 1040Mhz gets 29Mh, with some overclocking I can surely can 32-33MH, but my cards warm up too much. Definitely the best miner out there.

The only issue I can spot is the CPU usage, which makes this miner basically worthless on weak CPUs. I couldn't run it on a single-core AMD CPU and a friend of mine had his rig crashing with a dual core Celeron installed. most mining rigs have very weak CPUs, and if this miner gets updated to support them, I am sure it will get much more traction.

I can fix it with a new binary - just needs to be recompiled against a better pthreads lib.

WILL THE SGMINER-GM RECEIVE UPDATES? --

I run this SGminer on a sensitive 280X rig that is not stable with Claymore and dual mining.    Currently, SGminer-gm is running under Ethos 1.1.1 on 4 280X cards, mining at 16.7MH/s at stock clocks.  It runs with less heat than either Genoil v1.1.7 or Claymore, and does not crash as often.  The CPU is a Haswell Celeron 1820 at 2.7GHz.  The rig is not perfectly stable, but it runs.

Are updated binaries gong to be posted for both Linux and Windows?  I am hoping that the repository will be an active one.       --scryptr
YIz
Activity: 686
Merit: 502

I can fix it with a new binary - just needs to be recompiled against a better pthreads lib.

I'd love to see this miner fixed. would be adopted among miners very quickly.
Activity: 81
Merit: 1002
It was only the wind.
Why is the miner abandoned? I'm getting higher hashrates than Claymore's and it's open source! A really good piece of software right there, apart for CPU usage.

I told him to use SSE in the regenhash, but NOOOO... it should work on *ALL* the CPUs...
That's the wrong conclusion. The high CPU usage only happens on Windows, so that one core shows 100% usage. Regenhash is executed every ~2s with one GPU.
It seems to be a bug in libwinpthread because earlier sgminer had this issue on Windows, too.

Oh, my builds actually don't do that. Ever. It is pthread.
YIz

legendary
aka "whocares"
Up to 31.2 on a 390x running 1100/1250 - definitely making headway.  A little more tuning and we have a winner Grin
Activity: 578
Merit: 508
Even with no hash improvement, lot's of operational info in one place.

I take it that the ability to use the GPU-vddc command, will be card dependent?
legendary
aka "whocares"
I get similar/marginally higher speeds using stock settings using 1 RX470 + 1 7950. Also when moving the kernel into my fork. It's good!

Need to try that out, except yours doesn't have API support to use with AwesomeMiner - I wish it did Wink
Activity: 81
Merit: 1002
It was only the wind.
Why is the miner abandoned? I'm getting higher hashrates than Claymore's and it's open source! A really good piece of software right there, apart for CPU usage.

I told him to use SSE in the regenhash, but NOOOO... it should work on *ALL* the CPUs...
Activity: 438
Merit: 250
I get similar/marginally higher speeds using stock settings using 1 RX470 + 1 7950. Also when moving the kernel into my fork. It's good!
legendary
aka "whocares"
I am still playing with settings on a 390 and 390x and have yet to find any settings that come close to Genoil or Claymore's.  I am using 15.12 and have tried a full range of xintensity and worksizes and the best I have done on running it for an hour per setting is about 26mh.  So far definitely not worth converting the farm to it yet but I am sure it will be when I find the correct settings.

Usually when I have problems setting up something it's because I have overly complicated the task--
Activity: 49
Merit: 0

That's the wrong conclusion. The high CPU usage only happens on Windows, so that one core shows 100% usage. Regenhash is executed every ~2s with one GPU.
It seems to be a bug in libwinpthread because earlier sgminer had this issue on Windows, too.
Activity: 50
@NaN_PTS

Thanks, and tomorrow I will check this.

@YIz

What's your card and settings?
YIz
Activity: 588
Merit: 251
The WU (work units) are used to calculate the number of HW errors. Let's assume your card mines with an average of 20 MH/s and has an error rate of 2%. Then the expected WU value would be 20/m * (1-0.02) = 19.6/m. The hardware errors are normal, but they aren't shown by other Ethereum miners. A defective card typically produces 10 times more hardware errors then a working one.

Genoil's ethminer does report hardware errors.

Code:
FAILURE: GPU gave incorrect result!
Activity: 49
@OhGodAGirl

Big thanks Smiley

My last questions:
1) sgminer shows hashrate like this: 21.70M/20.21Mh/s - is this 20.21Mh/s my card's hashrate? I got 22 Mh/s @ CM ...
2) WU: 20-21/m for such hashrate - is it OK?

TIA
The first value is an exponential moving average of your hash rate. Therefore, this value is a good measure of your current hash rate after a few minutes. The second value is an average over the whole run time and it should be equal to the first value after a few hour, if the pool connection is stable. One Radeon RX 480 8GB does about 23.8 MH/s with stock clocks and your card seems to be close to 21.7 MH/s (you have to run it longer).
The WU (work units) are used to calculate the number of HW errors. Let's assume your card mines with an average of 20 MH/s and has an error rate of 2%. Then the expected WU value would be 20/m * (1-0.02) = 19.6/m. The hardware errors are normal, but they aren't shown by other Ethereum miners. A defective card typically produces 10 times more hardware errors then a working one.
@OhGodAGirl

Big thanks Smiley

My last questions:
1) sgminer shows hashrate like this: 21.70M/20.21Mh/s - is this 20.21Mh/s my card's hashrate? I got 22 Mh/s @ CM ...
2) WU: 20-21/m for such hashrate - is it OK?

TIA
Activity: 199
Merit: 108
Look, I'm really not that interesting. Promise.
I would start at 'gpu-threads: 1' and 'xintensity: 4620' because I'm not sure whether sgminer accepts rawintensity much larger than 2,000,000.

Wow, thanks! Now we are onto something Cheesy

With the below settings:

Code:
        "worksize": "192",
        "name": "eth",
        "algorithm": "ethash",
        "gpu-threads": "1",
        "xintensity": "4620"
    }],
    "no-extranonce": "true",
    "default-profile": "eth"

I got this:

Hashrates are close to Claymores - but they could be a little better Wink

Just those HW errors Sad - Any ideas?

HW's are normal, as long as they're trickling in and not skyrocketing, it's all good.
I would start at 'gpu-threads: 1' and 'xintensity: 4620' because I'm not sure whether sgminer accepts rawintensity much larger than 2,000,000.

Wow, thanks! Now we are onto something Cheesy

With the below settings:

Code:
        "worksize": "192",
        "name": "eth",
        "algorithm": "ethash",
        "gpu-threads": "1",
        "xintensity": "4620"
    }],
    "no-extranonce": "true",
    "default-profile": "eth"

I got this: