Pages:
Author

Topic: GLDCOIN @ Cryptsy! YAY - page 2. (Read 6473 times)

Activity: 434
Merit: 254
Editor-in-Chief of Let's Talk Bitcoin!
May 25, 2013, 06:23:39 PM
lol thanks guys, I heard that somewhere.  The question is, are you attempting to defraud people or have you just drunk the koolaid so facts don't matter?

I can personally say emphatically that I am not out defraud anyone.

Do you hope to profit from your involvement in GDLcoin?  If the coin is destined to fail because it does not pass the bar to become a mainstream coin, or have any special advantages to make it a niche coin, by what other mechanism besides finding someone else willing to pay you more than your cost.

Yes and why are stating that it is destined to fail?
Are you invested in bitcoin or any alt-coins at all?
Do you expect a return on investment if so?
Did you/are you going to ask the same questions to the bitcoin and litecoin community?
Do you ask these questions to your stockbroker?

When you introduce a new cryptocurrency, it has to be *better* than the status quo, because otherwise there is no reason for anyone not involved with speculative initial phase to ever buy or use it.  Sure, right now you guys are one big happy family all agreeing to not sell your coins because that will rise the overall value, but it's that collussion that perpetuates the fraud.  If the policy was "Ok everybody do what you want and lets see where this goes" it would be fine, and the market would reflect reality - But because many of the major players appear to have agreed to limit the supply available to the market, it means you're waiting to sell until you've profited.

So in order for you to profit, you have to sell to someone willing to pay more to you than it was worth to you in cost, which is a very low number since its a brand new alt that is just not getting a little harder to mine.  Lacking any advantages, any differences, really anything besides a 'marketable name" that means you're looking for suckers who will ignore the fundamentals (it's not any better than anything else, so it has almost no chance of being adopted because it offers no advantage to incentivize such adoption) and pay you a higher price not because it fixes any problems or has a chance of adoption, but instead because they think they too will be able to find a sucker willing to buy it from them for more than they paid for it.

You're acting like that's not how a scam works, but actually - it is.   If you hope to profit from this coin, you can only do so by getting other people to value it despite the fact there is no reason to.

I'm not saying GLDcoin is the only one, just that it by all appearances is one.  I haven't had time to look into other coins, trying to be through in developing my opinion about GLDcoin.  You guys might be well intentioned, but it's very short-sighted to say "I hope to profit" and still act like having a gentlemans agreement amongst major holders isn't collussion to keep the price artificially high.  This of course causes the greater "profitability" of the coin vs. alternatives, which encourages more people to mine it, etc.   Again, I get why you first generation miners or people who got pre-mined coins for free want to be involved - Money for nothing!   But the logic fails at that point.

I very much have these questions about every other coin, it's just that Bitcoin and Litecoin (recently) have gotten stuck in a positive feedback loop that makes these concerns fall away as legitimate utility takes the place.   it's not that GLDcoin doesn't have that same utility, it's just that mirroring it is not enough to justify using GLDcoin vs. any of the more establish alternatives.

First we were accused of having millions of goldcoins and that were just waiting to take GOLDCoin to an exchange and dump our coins. When that did not happen now we are again accused of making deals not to sell coins on the exchange. You think everybody got his coins free, but again you are wrong. I personally and i know others who bought most of their GLDCoins on the forum and cryptsy. You can even look it up when we were buying the coins up from start.

Take a read through this thread, people acting like they support GLDcoin are flat out saying it.
May 25, 2013, 06:22:48 PM
lol thanks guys, I heard that somewhere.  The question is, are you attempting to defraud people or have you just drunk the koolaid so facts don't matter?

Do you hope to profit from your involvement in GDLcoin?  If the coin is destined to fail because it does not pass the bar to become a mainstream coin, or have any special advantages to make it a niche coin, by what other mechanism besides finding someone else willing to pay you more than your cost.

Did you/are you going to ask the same questions to the bitcoin and litecoin community?

When you introduce a new cryptocurrency, it has to be *better* than the status quo, because otherwise there is no reason for anyone not involved with speculative initial phase to ever buy or use it.  Sure, right now you guys are one big happy family all agreeing to not sell your coins because that will rise the overall value, but it's that collussion that perpetuates the fraud.  If the policy was "Ok everybody do what you want and lets see where this goes" it would be fine, and the market would reflect reality - But because many of the major players appear to have agreed to limit the supply available to the market, it means you're waiting to sell until you've profited.

So in order for you to profit, you have to sell to someone willing to pay more to you than it was worth to you in cost, which is a very low number since its a brand new alt that is just not getting a little harder to mine.  Lacking any advantages, any differences, really anything besides a 'marketable name" that means you're looking for suckers who will ignore the fundamentals (it's not any better than anything else, so it has almost no chance of being adopted because it offers no advantage to incentivize such adoption) and pay you a higher price not because it fixes any problems or has a chance of adoption, but instead because they think they too will be able to find a sucker willing to buy it from them for more than they paid for it.

You're acting like that's not how a scam works, but actually - it is.   If you hope to profit from this coin, you can only do so by getting other people to value it despite the fact there is no reason to.

I'm not saying GLDcoin is the only one, just that it by all appearances is one.  I haven't had time to look into other coins, trying to be through in developing my opinion about GLDcoin.  You guys might be well intentioned, but it's very short-sighted to say "I hope to profit" and still act like having a gentlemans agreement amongst major holders isn't collussion to keep the price artificially high.  This of course causes the greater "profitability" of the coin vs. alternatives, which encourages more people to mine it, etc.   Again, I get why you first generation miners or people who got pre-mined coins for free want to be involved - Money for nothing!   But the logic fails at that point.

I very much have these questions about every other coin, it's just that Bitcoin and Litecoin (recently) have gotten stuck in a positive feedback loop that makes these concerns fall away as legitimate utility takes the place.   it's not that GLDcoin doesn't have that same utility, it's just that mirroring it is not enough to justify using GLDcoin vs. any of the more establish alternatives.

This is a BS answer and you didn't answer my questions, do you have any crypto coins at all?

Of course, I do a show about cryptocurrency.  I've purchased Bitcoin, and been given Bitcoin, Litecoin and I think some ppcoins though I never figured out how to pick them up.  Our show is donation supported, I didn't realize it was even a question if I hold ccs
Activity: 476
Merit: 500
May 25, 2013, 05:39:16 PM

First we were accused of having millions of goldcoins and that were just waiting to take GOLDCoin to an exchange and dump our coins. When that did not happen now we are again accused of making deals not to sell coins on the exchange. You think everybody got his coins free, but again you are wrong. I personally and i know others who bought most of their GLDCoins on the forum and cryptsy. You can even look it up when we were buying the coins up from start.
Activity: 392
Merit: 250
♫ A wave came crashing like a fist to the jaw ♫
May 25, 2013, 05:29:48 PM

This is a BS answer and you didn't answer my questions, do you have any crypto coins at all?
May 25, 2013, 05:11:21 PM

May 25, 2013, 04:06:29 PM
someone want trade with me? I am searching for GLD.

You can buy GLD here: https://www.cryptsy.com/markets/view/30
Activity: 192
Merit: 100
bitcoin-world.de - The european information source
May 25, 2013, 03:56:35 PM
someone want trade with me? I am searching for GLD.
May 25, 2013, 03:03:37 PM

May 25, 2013, 02:54:37 PM

legendary
Activity: 2534
Merit: 1129
May 25, 2013, 02:38:26 PM

OK, you win. Facts don't matter.

Now I will at least be able to invest my time and money knowing that it is just for fun...
May 25, 2013, 01:51:39 PM

legendary
Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965
Terminated.
May 25, 2013, 12:54:45 PM
Honestly I'd mine goldcoin just for the sake of fun and learning something along the way Smiley
Activity: 728
May 25, 2013, 12:19:45 PM
May 25, 2013, 12:18:00 PM
Activity: 112
Merit: 10
Activity: 476
May 25, 2013, 12:10:59 PM
WE ARE GOLDCOIN !!!
May 25, 2013, 12:08:30 PM
Activity: 728
May 25, 2013, 12:03:13 PM
So.... That's it?  Not a single person wants to extol the advantages actually built into the code?  Nobody even can tell me what the advantages are?

There aren't any other advantages other than transaction speed in the code.

Pretty much all alt-coins are clones of LiteCoin with some of the variables changed:
- block reward, the # of coins per block mined, really a useless stat in its basic form, since multiplying everything by 10 just means everyone has 10x more coins and the value of the individual coin goes down a factor 10. Block reward typically goes down with block count to ensure a fixed number of coins to be generated in the end.
- block target, the intended speed at which the blocks are found. The difficulty depends on the block target and the network hashrate. Fast block target means quick blocks (and more coins being mined) and fast confirmations of transactions. But the chance of splitting the blockchain (either by accident or maliciously) increases as well.
- Difficulty adjustment interval, how often the difficulty is adjusted. Basically this should be as fast as possible, since a too slow adjustment means that large changes in network hashrate can cause the block generation rate to deviate greatly from the block target.

Beyond these 3 points, most alt-coins offer nothing new. GLD included. There are some that introduce further changes, for example the change in hashing algorithm in YAC, which made it a CPU-only coin (for now, anyway). But even then, the coins are still very similar to BTC/LTC: with mining, a blockchain, a wallet-file, etc... and everything linked together through cryptography and large-scale hashing.

There are non-code aspects that can set a coin apart: Adaptation by merchants, active development and I guess the name as well. The main problem is that even BTC is not that widespread that it makes sense to compete for merchant acceptance. The main exception here is, I guess, Phenixcoin (PXC), which is a currency that was released by and can be used for a casino-website.

Right now, alt-coins are as useful as their value in BTC/LTC. One or two alt-coins may (and I stress *may*) "break out" and gain widespread attention in a few years, but for now, it's mostly just playmoney.

And that's my opinion on alt-coins Smiley It definitely also holds for GLD, as the code doesn't offer anything new other than changes to the basic variables, there doesn't seem to be much in active development. And while there have been a few more giveaways for GLD than for other coins, I don't think that's a very convincing reason to place GLD above coins like YAC, WDC, PXC, etc... in the alt-coin picking order.
May 25, 2013, 11:37:15 AM
Yes, you answered about the short term reasons why you want to be involved, and have no answers to the medium-long term reasons why someone not mining or buying at the very beginning would want to.

• It's easy to mine compared to established coins
  • One person felt like the transaction confirmations were faster, declined to elaborate
  • Two people felt like the community was "good" and that they could influence things now
  • Several people really like the fact that the name has "GLD" in it, which makes them think people will trust it
  • Two people noted that since they were giving away coins, they were not in it for the profit - Did they give away all their coins?
  • One person thought I'm asking too many questions and that I should just trust it on faith

So.... That's it?  Not a single person wants to extol the advantages actually built into the code?  Nobody even can tell me what the advantages are?

Let me know if I missed anything, you guys seem really excited about the fact that you're invested and able to influence something you don't really know anything about or at least don't want to talk details on.  

At the end of the day, I don't care what you choose to invest in - But if you're telling other people they should also invest in it, these are the questions that need to be answered and it's clear nobody involved wants to do that.

Have a great day.

Edit: I see someone is going to answer my questions, thanks!
May 25, 2013, 11:34:38 AM
I appreciate the attempts to answer this, and have follow-up questions.

Great questions, I will try and be as eloquent as you in my answers

Can you elaborate on this difference?  You say it seems very fast, why is that?
Quote from: btciec
1) I do not have direct evidence of this, I shall have to do some tests and return to you with a straight answer.

Why should you have a say in what happens?  What do you bring to the table with this power?   Whose interest are you acting on behalf of?
1) Perhaps I shouldn't, but I am going to put my 2 cents in where I think it matters and have something meaningful to add to the conversation.
2) Great question, I will have to ponder on this for a while.
3) My own and the communities.

Why do you like the name?  Does it have anything to do with reality, or do you think it is a good marketing choice that will make unsophisticated users more likely to trust it because they believe gold has value where feathers do not?
1) esoteric question doesn't really matter, that is like asking why do you like the color blue, something about it tickles your fancy and you just do.
2) Yes I think it was an excellent marketing choice. Unsophisticated? to be fair this entire thing is an unregulated underground financial system. You pose an excellent question, this line of questioning needs to be thought through for when this does become mainstream.

How much did you spend to buy 30,000 GLDcoins, how long did you mine for 6,000 GLDcoins, why did you give some away - Altruism or because you want people to associate value with it, since they now own some and stand to profit form its further adoption?
1) ~.50 bitcoin on it so far, I anticipate allocating up to 10 in total.
2) Mining 6000 gldcoins took me about 2 weeks or so off and on.
3) I gave them away because I think that they will be worth allot more in the future, let's not kid ourselves here, most of us on this board on not spending 10's (perhaps 100's now) of millions of dollars because we like to give our money away, we expect a return on our investment and a grand one at that (at least I do). In addition to the previous statement, I would also like to add that it feels really cool to be a part of a growing community, be it the BTC eco-system in general or GLD specifically, the Winkelvoss twins didn't put away 1MM bitcoins because they are going to give them away for free, they expect a huge return on their speculation as do most of us here.

Besides being easy to mine, what is the advantage of mining GLDcoins?
1) It hasn't been raped yet by the guys with 10 servers running quad 7990's
2) very fast payout's on the first pool http://next.afraid.org, bad name I know, but it's growing on me...

How do you participate in GLDcoin?  Is there a forum? Do you vote on things?  What things have you directly impacted, and why did you think it was important enough to initiate change on?  Are there any things you feel should be changed about GLDcoin, what are they, why, and why hasn't it already happened?
1) I participate by mining, offering help where I can to newcomers and offering sponsorships and giveaways.
2) Forum: http://www.gldcointalk.org/
3) We do not vote on items yet, but thanks that is a great idea
4) Impacts: I have added a node to the system with my dedicated server. MajorMax came to me asking that I add his node to my client, I researched the implications of such a request, decided he and his request was a good one and followed through with it, I then researched for myself how to do it on my own server and did so.
5) Changes: yes, I believe that we need to organize ourselves better, why? At this point it feels like working at a startup, everybody is doing everything that they can to get this thing off the ground
Pages:
Jump to: