Pages:
Author

Topic: Gold: I smell a trap - page 53. (Read 90807 times)

legendary
Activity: 1316
Merit: 1005
August 12, 2011, 03:57:32 AM
legendary
Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002
August 11, 2011, 05:29:34 PM
legendary
Activity: 1190
Merit: 1004
August 11, 2011, 05:29:12 PM
Bollinger bands I assume. No reason to be anything but bearish on the short term. Do I take short-term risks? No, so I held.
Activity: 97
Merit: 10
August 11, 2011, 05:17:12 PM
Do u mind posting the channel you saw it breaking out of?
legendary
August 11, 2011, 04:20:50 PM
ty was right, gold has entered the blowoff parabola IMO and has broken up and out of the longterm trend channel.  this IMO is a terminal ending pattern and screams caution.  even if you're a bull you should be taking down some positions to profit just in case.  thats prudent.  the question is when will it break?  this is when trading gets fun but also painful.  gold is going straight up and that is a huge warning sign for me esp. in light of the carnage elsewhere.

Yup gold has broken out of its longterm trend channel.  I'm concerned.  

Lets say gold is at $1750 and you expect a 20% decline, so target is $1400.  I would wait for the downtrend before going short.  Even at $1700 you would capture 17.6% of the decline, a more than generous return by any metric (you could easily increase that return with leverage obviously).  So you missed out on the top 2.4%, at least you didn't get steamrolled if gold trends higher.

I know you're a fan of Mish although I'm not sure how long you've been following him.  In the early days, Mish was predicting the housing bubble and subsequent pop before most.  He was spot on with his analysis.  Problem is he was YEARS early with that prediction.  You can try to time the market perfectly but I find very few individuals who are able to do it successfully.  And most who seem to be able to do so, will only tell you about the time they've predicted successfully and not all the times they've been burned.

You've obviously done very well for yourself so I'm not trying to tell you how to invest your money but that's my investment stance.

you're very wise.  btw, i went long ERX and TNA yesterday but just closed them out for a nice profit.  i hope you wrote those puts on WFC, up 7.60%? Cheesy

i've followed Mish since 2006?  he's good but kooky at times.  i think he drinks.

no guts no glory on this short which could be the one of a lifetime.  don't try this at home!!!

Nope didn't write the puts unfortunately.  Was hoping for a spike in the VIX today or a decline in the market, neither of which happened.  I did buy a bunch of LEAP calls on BAC yesterday @ $2.  Sold 'em today for $2.25.  12.5% gain for a 1-day trade, yeah I can live with that.   Smiley

BAC scares the crap out of me but short-term it looked really oversold so I rolled the dice.  I probably should have held longer but I'm leaving for Vegas tomorrow so I don't really want to worry about the market, plus making trades while drunk is only going to end up in trouble.   

nice.  LOL, i'm heading out early tomorrow for Alaska/Seattle for salmon fishing so i'll be out for a week or so too.

i think we get a week or so of a bounce.  holding shorts on PM's from today.  damn, my covering yesterday caused today's dump!!!
Activity: 672
Merit: 500
August 11, 2011, 04:14:22 PM
ty was right, gold has entered the blowoff parabola IMO and has broken up and out of the longterm trend channel.  this IMO is a terminal ending pattern and screams caution.  even if you're a bull you should be taking down some positions to profit just in case.  thats prudent.  the question is when will it break?  this is when trading gets fun but also painful.  gold is going straight up and that is a huge warning sign for me esp. in light of the carnage elsewhere.

Lets say gold is at $1750 and you expect a 20% decline, so target is $1400.  I would wait for the downtrend before going short.  Even at $1700 you would capture 17.6% of the decline, a more than generous return by any metric (you could easily increase that return with leverage obviously).  So you missed out on the top 2.4%, at least you didn't get steamrolled if gold trends higher.

I know you're a fan of Mish although I'm not sure how long you've been following him.  In the early days, Mish was predicting the housing bubble and subsequent pop before most.  He was spot on with his analysis.  Problem is he was YEARS early with that prediction.  You can try to time the market perfectly but I find very few individuals who are able to do it successfully.  And most who seem to be able to do so, will only tell you about the time they've predicted successfully and not all the times they've been burned.

You've obviously done very well for yourself so I'm not trying to tell you how to invest your money but that's my investment stance.

you're very wise.  btw, i went long ERX and TNA yesterday but just closed them out for a nice profit.  i hope you wrote those puts on WFC, up 7.60%? Cheesy

i've followed Mish since 2006?  he's good but kooky at times.  i think he drinks.

no guts no glory on this short which could be the one of a lifetime.  don't try this at home!!!

Nope didn't write the puts unfortunately.  Was hoping for a spike in the VIX today or a decline in the market, neither of which happened.  I did buy a bunch of LEAP calls on BAC yesterday @ $2.  Sold 'em today for $2.25.  12.5% gain for a 1-day trade, yeah I can live with that.   Smiley

BAC scares the crap out of me but short-term it looked really oversold so I rolled the dice.  I probably should have held longer but I'm leaving for Vegas tomorrow so I don't really want to worry about the market, plus making trades while drunk is only going to end up in trouble.   
legendary
August 11, 2011, 03:56:58 PM
bullion holders need to be aware this is the Ultimate form of illiquidity.
legendary
August 11, 2011, 03:54:10 PM
Good luck with that. Don't waste all your money on that short position because you'll regret it. Tongue

You are so funny. Gold down -3.7% today.

I am already +40% in the profits with the leveraged short position I took today.

That totally means it's doing down to $1000. You might lose your super leveraged profits if you aren't careful.
legendary
August 11, 2011, 03:52:34 PM
actually Calculated Risk was my favorite hangout for most of 2006-9
legendary
August 11, 2011, 03:46:17 PM

Activity: 672
Merit: 500
August 11, 2011, 03:31:42 PM

legendary
August 11, 2011, 03:22:15 PM
OMG!  what a pain in the ass!

i fixed finally the post above.  please read my responses to miscreanity.
legendary
August 11, 2011, 02:25:50 PM
still working on the above post during work.  sorry.
Activity: 196
Merit: 100
August 11, 2011, 02:25:43 PM
I take the challenge: 1 BTC bet

OK. Just accept some sensible limits to it (because otherwise I can never win Wink) and the bet is on.
If gold crosses 1000 USD/oz anytime within 5 year span, you win, otherwise I win. Because I don't want to wait 5 years, let's say if it crosses 10000 USD/oz first, I also win. Deal? Smiley
legendary
August 11, 2011, 02:18:15 PM
Good luck with that. Don't waste all your money on that short position because you'll regret it. Tongue

I am already +40% in the profits with the leveraged short position I took today.

your timing is better than mine.  i should have kept yesterdays positions but i'm still up from this am.
legendary
Activity: 2100
Merit: 1000
August 11, 2011, 02:16:37 PM

legendary
August 11, 2011, 02:11:50 PM
i apologize.  this is what happens when you're at work getting interrupted.  i'm lost in the quotes.
legendary
August 11, 2011, 01:39:38 PM
legendary
August 11, 2011, 01:11:32 PM
legendary
Activity: 2100
Merit: 1000
August 11, 2011, 12:32:22 PM
I take the challenge: 1 BTC bet
Pages:
Jump to: