Pages:
Author

Topic: GPU fans started failing, had to improvise a little - page 2. (Read 10449 times)

Activity: 1274
Merit: 556
Asus and gigabyte probably outsource all their fans and junk together, so identical in every way, stay away from their products.
As a matter of fact, I think ASUS have upped their game.
I have 14 ASUS RX 570 Expedition OC (arguably the cheap GPU line) and they have ball bearing fans. So far none of them has failed in 11 months (touch wood). I remember my old rig back in 2014 sported Asus R9 280 DirectCU II GPUs and one fan died within 3 or 4 months of use.

On a sidenote, I wonder what would happen if one decided to RMA a GPU nowadays. If said GPU is out of stock or discontinued, what are they supposed to send you back?
Activity: 487
Merit: 266
I will never buy Gigabyte gpu's ... I've heard that their fans are shit ever since I've been in this game.

It's not only gigabyte, asus too. EVGA and Sapphire are the best .

Metroid, I like it a lot when you post as a sane person.  I'm tried of replying to your posts with the number to the suicide hotline.

No offense to you whatsoever, but some of the stuff that you post is way out there.  If you can predict the future based on your sources, more power to you.  But most the the people who you call trolls are saying you are the troll.  1 vs 999M loses every time.

So it's not just me...
legendary
Activity: 1848
Merit: 1165
My AR-15 ID's itself as a toaster. Want breakfast?
This is what I bought.
Amazon Link

I figured ~22.50 per fan was worth it.... to get it without the ebay fuss.
Activity: 394
Merit: 101
90w was most efficient for founder's edition for rog strix most efficient range appears to be around 100-120w. Yes you are correct, it does not let go lower than 90w.
legendary
Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030
As you are probably LOSING efficiency going that low, I'd not bother trying any lower - and there's a pretty good chance the cards won't let you go below 50% of their factory TDP, I've yet to see any Nvidia Pascal-based card that would (unless the factory TDP was WAY higher than "stock" for that GPU).

Activity: 394
I bought bunch of gtx1080 founders edition and rig strix. I am running on lowest power possible at 90w and fans are turning much slower than full 180w. How far do you think i can go with these??
Activity: 1036
Merit: 606
I don't know, but if you email them they should be able to tell you who to contact or look it up on their website.
Activity: 78
Merit: 0
The replacement black fans are available from Sapphire. Email Sapphire at [email protected]. The LED fans are for retail stores.
Thanks. This is worldwide or USA only (according to their contact form this address if for 'USA Technical Service')?
Activity: 1036
Merit: 606
Replacements are $12.50 each including shipping from Sapphire and they are super easy to replace.
Isn't sapphire only selling led versions, that slightly different (0.35 vs 0.42 current, different noise floor). Only place I've found CF1015H12D selling is single lot on ali, that not available anymore, and it was $26.5 per fan. So, can you tell where are you getting such cheap replacements from sapphire directly?

The replacement black fans are available from Sapphire. Email Sapphire at [email protected]. The LED fans are for retail stores.
Activity: 78
Replacements are $12.50 each including shipping from Sapphire and they are super easy to replace.
Isn't sapphire only selling led versions, that slightly different (0.35 vs 0.42 current, different noise floor). Only place I've found CF1015H12D selling is single lot on ali, that not available anymore, and it was $26.5 per fan. So, can you tell where are you getting such cheap replacements from sapphire directly?
legendary
I remember buying a Peltier cooler at Frys and putting in on my Pentium Pro instead of a heatsink.

PRoblem with those is if you don't temperature control them, you get condensation on the board like none-other.

Once I finish making a desiccant housing for it;  Ill be re-mounting my TEC to my WWAN adapter used for my home internet.  When I am uploading a file, or streaming;  it gets stupid hot.  The TEC kept it's whole housing at 36-38*f; but condensation buildup was insane.    The heatsync on the other side of the TEC came from an old AMD x64 machine, and was passively cooled.  I need a desiccant box to control it and run it that way any further.

I would think that using water cooling and having an internal TEC;  no radiator at all... could be an interesting product line if it can be made efficient and small enough.  IIRC the power draw from a TEC isn't near as much as lets say a typical heat pump.
Activity: 58
Merit: 3
I remember buying a Peltier cooler at Frys and putting in on my Pentium Pro instead of a heatsink.
legendary
I mount one NMB fan to each heatsink, 2 per card.
I MIGHT be able to get away with one fan per card, but the spacing between the heatsinks would make that problematic as a lot of the airflow wouldn't go through the heatsinks at all that way.
I COULD mount one fan to the heatsink at the "end" of the card near the power connector and get acceptable cooling for the GPU itself, but I worry about the stuff UNDER the heatsinks getting enough airflow if I try to do that.

I have a ton of fans sitting around though, bought a batch of something like 20 of them at a hamfest decades ago for $1 or $2 each, so using 2 per card isn't an issue for now.
I also have quite a few other "leftover" fans from CPU heatsinks out of "retired" Athlon-era and older machines if I run out of the NMB fans.

Activity: 59
Merit: 4
Great solution, thanks for sharing!

Surprising the temps are lower with those fans

I have some of the 1070 version of that card (and some of the 3-fan versions), ALL of which have had fans die or are starting to lose fans.
I have a bunch of NMB 92mmx25mm fans around - server-case fan design for about 40 CFM rated .35 amp at 12VDC.

I've been pulling the entire fan shroud assembly, twist-tie one NMB fan to each heatsink assembly, then wire them up to the *5 VDC* connection on a MOLEX - they toss enough air through the HS to do BETTER cooling than the original fans did at up to 80% or so, while using a LOT less power.

The original Gigabyte fans are JUNK on their current Windforce models - dunno why they moved away from ball-bearing fans a few years back except on the Aorus models, but it has cost them any chance of selling ME any more cards.
The AORUS models still have good ball bearing fans - but they tend to be high-end models with extra power connectors that make it harder to power a bunch of them for mining usage.

EVGA and Sapphire are still "all ball bearing, all of the time" and are my go-to brands - I just wish Sapphire made Nvidia cards.

Those 92mm fans have a similar CFM to the ones I got.

My Question though, you have only 1 fan attached to the card? and does it do a good job? so far I'm tying 2 fans to each card, which does an insanely good job at cooling, but I think one fan could be enough, especially that one of these fans produces a higher CFM than both stock fans added together.
legendary
I have a mini-itx Gigabyte 1070 which has a bad fan, it only starts if I push it by hand, and at some point it stops for some reason, I've never been around when it stops.

I tried pulling the rottary part off, cleaning and oiling up the middle pin, and it didn't make a difference (it wasn't very dirty to begin with).

Right now I have another fan working on top of it, but I didn't dismantle the shroud, and it's fine, but it's winter time and I'm keeping the mining PC on the balcony.

Do you guys have any suggestion on how to fix this fan? as I will probably want to eventually sell this card.

sell the card, or replace the fan.... that's the early sign that your about to have cooling issues.

@QuintLeo;  yeah, exactly!  That's why I mentioned the heatsync removal being necessary in most instances... plus;  it gives you a chance to re-paste that GPU that has dried and worn out it's OEM compound.

I personally typically re-paste after 1 year of mining.  I tend to see a temp drop when I do.
legendary
The Gigabyte "Windforce" cooler fans are the ones I am concerned about. We have a dozen or so GPUs that use that cooler (2 fan and 3 fan models) and one of them has a fan going bad after less then 8 months. It looks like it should be possible to replace the fans without removing the cooler but I haven't tried it yet (I know it varies from model to model if it's possible to replace them sans removing the cooler). Even if the replacement fans are the same junk and die again after 6-12 months it beats an RMA that might be a couple of months or possibly never replaced due to current GPU shortages.

*We have nearly all of our GPUs set at a manual 50-70% fan speed with just a couple of "problem GPUs" running at 80% fan speed in the summer months.

It's a pain but it's possible to replace the Gigabyte fans without removing the shroud.
 Getting to the power connector for the individual fan is the BIG issue, and getting it routed correctly for "no wires in the way" after swapping the fan are the biggest pains - the screws for the fan aren't a big deal.

Activity: 18
I have a mini-itx Gigabyte 1070 which has a bad fan, it only starts if I push it by hand, and at some point it stops for some reason, I've never been around when it stops.

I tried pulling the rottary part off, cleaning and oiling up the middle pin, and it didn't make a difference (it wasn't very dirty to begin with).

Right now I have another fan working on top of it, but I didn't dismantle the shroud, and it's fine, but it's winter time and I'm keeping the mining PC on the balcony.

Do you guys have any suggestion on how to fix this fan? as I will probably want to eventually sell this card.
Activity: 32
Typical sleeve bearing issues with all Gigabyte fans. To be honest, reference card single blowers are more reliable because they are all ball bearing. The only thing I can suggest if installing ball bearing fans is not an option, is to take the fans apart every 3 months and re-oil all the sleeve bearings.
Activity: 168
Merit: 39
Are the ROG Strix fans any good or are those included in the crap basket? They toute them as being good. Though I don't buy Asus cards because I hear their RMA service is generally the worst. Has anyone had good experiences RMA'ing cards with them?

Yeah those Gigabyte fans look exactly like the craptastic sapphire fans from years ago, just slightly redesigned.  Even the fans on Sapphire's current gen look like they've improved. Surprised gigabyte is using that inferior junk.
Activity: 264
I had the same problem, but I contacted the support. They told me to keep the rigs in a clean place.Then the problem was solved by lubricating and placing the pit on a perfectly flat surface
Pages:
Jump to: