Pages:
Author

Topic: GPU fans started failing, had to improvise a little - page 4. (Read 10449 times)

Activity: 168
Merit: 39
When you guys replace failed fans, do you plug the new fans into the power supply or are you using the board GPU to power the fans?

The more powerful ones require more juice than the GPU connector will give, but if they are low power it's fine.  Plus the GPU connectors are smaller.
Activity: 259
Merit: 108
When you guys replace failed fans, do you plug the new fans into the power supply or are you using the board GPU to power the fans?
Activity: 168
Merit: 39
When did Sapphire get good?  They were junk a few years ago.  I take it they are ball bearing now?

Just only buy ball bearing fan cards.  And try to run decent temps so they aren't spinning super fast.
Activity: 362
Merit: 250
I had 2 broken fans on my Asus R9 390x.. (yeah, that card that uses 200+W for mining). Those shit asus fans were noisy as formula 1 on the race track, so I was kinda happy that i broke them down Smiley
As a replacement i just bought 2 fans for the computer case and connect them through molex. The temperatures were OK (60-65°C) and the formula noise was gone! Smiley
legendary
Activity: 1848
Merit: 1165
My AR-15 ID's itself as a toaster. Want breakfast?
FYI;  if you pull the old fans off, and read the part numbers off the label, you can search it on ebay/amazon and find new direct-fit replacements.  Worked a charm for my Asus 980 that's been running 100% since it first hit the shelf.

I myself in between fan changes have taken 120mm case fans and just leaned them against the card that I have removed the fans from Wink  Gets you by.

Have to be careful about that, Power Logic in particular makes a ton of fans with the SAME "part number" that have different pinouts for different manufacturers and even different cards by the SAME manufacturer.
I would not buy their fans though, they're the folks that make the TOTAL JUNK fans that Gigabyte uses in their recent cards.

And yes, the cards will work with no fan connected to the GPU directly - you just don't get to monitor or set the fan speeds with my setup.
In THEORY, you could dig up some PWM fans to use instead, and splice them into the old connectors, but IMO too much hassle as long as the cards are staying cool.

This is true, but the pigtails are highly distinguishable, and pretty easy to compare in the auction photos.
Good note though.

And Ill confirm;  so far my GTX 9xx cards work perfectly fine with frozen or no fan attached.  I doubt the gtx 10xx series would act differently.  What a wicked problem that would be to troubleshoot:  "My pc wont work because my video card fans weren't spinning..."    what a nightmare....
legendary
Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030
FYI;  if you pull the old fans off, and read the part numbers off the label, you can search it on ebay/amazon and find new direct-fit replacements.  Worked a charm for my Asus 980 that's been running 100% since it first hit the shelf.

I myself in between fan changes have taken 120mm case fans and just leaned them against the card that I have removed the fans from Wink  Gets you by.

Have to be careful about that, Power Logic in particular makes a ton of fans with the SAME "part number" that have different pinouts for different manufacturers and even different cards by the SAME manufacturer.
I would not buy their fans though, they're the folks that make the TOTAL JUNK fans that Gigabyte uses in their recent cards.

And yes, the cards will work with no fan connected to the GPU directly - you just don't get to monitor or set the fan speeds with my setup.
In THEORY, you could dig up some PWM fans to use instead, and splice them into the old connectors, but IMO too much hassle as long as the cards are staying cool.

copper member
Activity: 14
Merit: 0
Activity: 1148
Merit: 132
legendary
Activity: 1848
Merit: 1165
My AR-15 ID's itself as a toaster. Want breakfast?
FYI;  if you pull the old fans off, and read the part numbers off the label, you can search it on ebay/amazon and find new direct-fit replacements.  Worked a charm for my Asus 980 that's been running 100% since it first hit the shelf.

I myself in between fan changes have taken 120mm case fans and just leaned them against the card that I have removed the fans from Wink  Gets you by.
Activity: 59
Merit: 4
Great solution, thanks for sharing!

Surprising the temps are lower with those fans

The original fans can barely generate 18 cfm at 100%,, these fans can do around 42 cfm
legendary
"Typical" computer mounting puts the fans UPSIDE DOWN, which would generate more stress on whatever retainer they are using than a "sideways" mount.

Not just the weight of the fan blades themselves but the force of the air movement they generation trying to pull it out of the mount.

On the other hand, I gave up on HIS years ago due to their JUNK fans in pretty much all of their models.

I also find it interesting that Newegg stopped carrying HIS a while back (the ONLY HIS listing right now is for a 6850 from a 3'd party vender) - guess THEY were getting too many RMAs.

Activity: 751
Merit: 517
Fail to plan, and you plan to fail.
Ive had HIS Fans literally falling off of running GPU's

This happened to 4 of my GPU's and I finally switched the orientation of the GPU's to horizontal, I guess vertical position was putting uneven shear stress on the plastic and these fans were only tested for typical Computer mounting which places them horizontal. Just a guess though, could just be shitty GPU's and I may have more fail similarly soon.
legendary
Just curious. If it’s still under warranty, why not RMA the card instead of repairing it yourself?

Because the RMA process is very slow and gives you back a card with THE SAME ISSUE.

If something OTHER THAN the fan(s) die, sure I'll RMA the card.
Otherwise it's a waste of money (1-2 MONTHS lost income + SHIPPING CHARGES) and time.
Activity: 1036
Merit: 606
Not sure if ive just got bad luck but Sapphire has been a nightmare to deal with.
First their itx model fan died with 6 months of mining use.
then the cs sends me a replacement card that has the SAME problem.

Now im waiting for a replacement gpu to ship from Hong Kong (its been 8 weeks already) wtf.
Here's how it looks and sounds.
NEVER buying sapphire again.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gjl60zoknasdw8b/IMG_9230.MOV?dl=0

Its MSI, evga or asus for me. TAT for Asus 1-2 weeks tops for rma.

That's why I also like buying cards that run cool and never buy single fan cards. Cheaper cards always skimp on cooling and the better the passive cooling, the lower you need to keep the fan speed which makes them last much longer than fans always running the 80%+.
Activity: 588
Merit: 335
Steady State Finance
the same case, I have Sapphire 290 triple fan. one fan is broken then I replace a fan using delta fan (12 inches, powered by 12 volts). has been running for 1 month so far so good.
Activity: 434
Merit: 107
Not sure if ive just got bad luck but Sapphire has been a nightmare to deal with.
First their itx model fan died with 6 months of mining use.
then the cs sends me a replacement card that has the SAME problem.

Now im waiting for a replacement gpu to ship from Hong Kong (its been 8 weeks already) wtf.
Here's how it looks and sounds.
NEVER buying sapphire again.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gjl60zoknasdw8b/IMG_9230.MOV?dl=0

Its MSI, evga or asus for me. TAT for Asus 1-2 weeks tops for rma.
Activity: 1036
Merit: 606
With the current GPU mining runnup already outlasting all the previous ones by far, GPU manufacturerer's should realize nobody wants to RMA a GPU for fans, which is usually the first thing that goes bad. Sapphire and XFX have stepped up their game with one screw and snap-on modular fans. I love the Sapphire dual ball bearing X-Fans on the RX series. One screw to take off the fan for maintenance and cleaning and no wires to run or deal with. Replacements are $12.50 each including shipping from Sapphire and they are super easy to replace.

Activity: 259
Merit: 108
Just curious. If it’s still under warranty, why not RMA the card instead of repairing it yourself?
Activity: 2142
Merit: 353
Xtreme Monster
Metroid, I like it a lot when you post as a sane person.  I'm tried of replying to your posts with the number to the suicide hotline.

No offense to you whatsoever, but some of the stuff that you post is way out there.  If you can predict the future based on your sources, more power to you.  But most the the people who you call trolls are saying you are the troll.  1 vs 999M loses every time.

Well, as far as I can tell you, I have no horns or hold clubs yet hehe, so I guess that is a good thing. Now concerning what I say, I can't change what trolls think about what I say cause reality hurts them. So I guess I have to leave at that. I'm trying to be more polite if that helps.
legendary
Great solution, thanks for sharing!

Surprising the temps are lower with those fans

I have some of the 1070 version of that card (and some of the 3-fan versions), ALL of which have had fans die or are starting to lose fans.
I have a bunch of NMB 92mmx25mm fans around - server-case fan design for about 40 CFM rated .35 amp at 12VDC.

I've been pulling the entire fan shroud assembly, twist-tie one NMB fan to each heatsink assembly, then wire them up to the *5 VDC* connection on a MOLEX - they toss enough air through the HS to do BETTER cooling than the original fans did at up to 80% or so, while using a LOT less power.

The original Gigabyte fans are JUNK on their current Windforce models - dunno why they moved away from ball-bearing fans a few years back except on the Aorus models, but it has cost them any chance of selling ME any more cards.
The AORUS models still have good ball bearing fans - but they tend to be high-end models with extra power connectors that make it harder to power a bunch of them for mining usage.

EVGA and Sapphire are still "all ball bearing, all of the time" and are my go-to brands - I just wish Sapphire made Nvidia cards.

Pages:
Jump to: