Pages:
Author

Topic: GPU fans started failing, had to improvise a little - page 3. (Read 10449 times)

Activity: 2142
Merit: 353
Xtreme Monster
Asus and gigabyte probably outsource all their fans and junk together, so identical in every way, stay away from their products.
Activity: 57
Merit: 0
I have found that the EVGA fans are the best. They seem to run forever and they are quiet.
legendary
Activity: 2366
Merit: 1405
Gigabyte really has the worst fans, I had problem with less than 1 year of use.
Activity: 1246
Merit: 274
The Gigabyte "Windforce" cooler fans are the ones I am concerned about. We have a dozen or so GPUs that use that cooler (2 fan and 3 fan models) and one of them has a fan going bad after less then 8 months. It looks like it should be possible to replace the fans without removing the cooler but I haven't tried it yet (I know it varies from model to model if it's possible to replace them sans removing the cooler). Even if the replacement fans are the same junk and die again after 6-12 months it beats an RMA that might be a couple of months or possibly never replaced due to current GPU shortages.

*We have nearly all of our GPUs set at a manual 50-70% fan speed with just a couple of "problem GPUs" running at 80% fan speed in the summer months.
legendary
Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

As far as recommended fan speeds;  if you can keep your card's fans to under 70% fan speeds;  the fans should last for well over 2-3 years of solid operation.   I ran my GTX980 at less than 70% for 2 years.   Then when I crammed it in a box with limited cooling and more GPU's, it stayed up at ~78*c and the fan went from being at ~75% on average to 100%.... and ~2-3 months later they were starting to fail/lock up.

*ROFLMAO*

The Gigabyte 3-fan Windforce models I have recently replaced fans on were more like *1* year old and spent that time in the 60-70% range.

Like I said, JUNK fans.

legendary
Good discussion here on brands and fans, bearings, and orientation of cards.

My question... is water cooling more energy efficient or helpful to make a card overclock and work better or gain more hashrate? Or is a working air cooling system just as good as a GPU water cooling system? I have never tried water cooling and am just thinking about the summer time and proper planning.

Most water cooling setups keep the GPU noticeably cooler than air cooling manages - at a cost as the systems are expensive compared to air cooling.
They probably use a bit more power though, as they tend to use a higher-end fan on the radiator AND the pump uses some power.
Might be close or a bit less power though, as the fans they use TEND to be more efficient than the very thin fans air-cooled cards have to use.

legendary
Just to chime in I have a zotac 1070 mini with a failing fan fortunately it’s a 2 fan model and still runs cool but worries me about the other 6 I have

https://twitter.com/voskcoin/status/964252560981921793

Said rig / card / fan

Ive noticed; when one fan begins to go out;  the second isn't far behind it.....

I dont know why;  but its always the case.

Maybe it has something to do with the failing bearing adding vibrations to the other and making it follow suit.

Near identical environmental conditions and speed history.
In theory, they SHOULD fail at the same time, but there is a HAIR of difference between 2 fans on the same card + manufacturing variations cause a little difference.

legendary
Activity: 1848
Merit: 1165
My AR-15 ID's itself as a toaster. Want breakfast?
usually you have to dismount the cooler;  they ziptie the pigtails to the cooler in odd places, etc.

sometimes you can get at the fan mounting screws from the front (inlet) of the fans....

I did lay a 120mm over the top of the cooler blowing down in the gap between the GPUs (with gpu's fans removed at that point)...  They ran in the high 70's to low 80's, but they did work.   Nvidia's self-throttling for temps works extremely well.   Its pretty hard to fry the die by lack of cooling unless a cooler is 100% missing altogether.

As far as recommended fan speeds;  if you can keep your card's fans to under 70% fan speeds;  the fans should last for well over 2-3 years of solid operation.   I ran my GTX980 at less than 70% for 2 years.   Then when I crammed it in a box with limited cooling and more GPU's, it stayed up at ~78*c and the fan went from being at ~75% on average to 100%.... and ~2-3 months later they were starting to fail/lock up.
Activity: 1246
Merit: 274
FYI;  if you pull the old fans off, and read the part numbers off the label, you can search it on ebay/amazon and find new direct-fit replacements.  Worked a charm for my Asus 980 that's been running 100% since it first hit the shelf.

I myself in between fan changes have taken 120mm case fans and just leaned them against the card that I have removed the fans from Wink  Gets you by.

Have to be careful about that, Power Logic in particular makes a ton of fans with the SAME "part number" that have different pinouts for different manufacturers and even different cards by the SAME manufacturer.
I would not buy their fans though, they're the folks that make the TOTAL JUNK fans that Gigabyte uses in their recent cards.

And yes, the cards will work with no fan connected to the GPU directly - you just don't get to monitor or set the fan speeds with my setup.
In THEORY, you could dig up some PWM fans to use instead, and splice them into the old connectors, but IMO too much hassle as long as the cards are staying cool.

Do you know of any other replacement fans that would work for the current Gigabyte Windforce cooler series?  I would prefer not to take off the entire cooler until after they are past warranty if possible. Strapping a case fan over the top of the cooler probably wouldn't work either due to not having enough space between GPUs in a 6-8 GPU rig.
Activity: 168
Merit: 39

My question... is water cooling more energy efficient or helpful to make a card overclock and work better or gain more hashrate? Or is a working air cooling system just as good as a GPU water cooling system? I have never tried water cooling and am just thinking about the summer time and proper planning.

only if you're talking about a couple/few cards on your main rig.  with many cards/rigs air is the way to go.  the best thing is to find a way to exhaust the heat to the outside.  the better and faster one can do that the cooler the cards will run while using lower fan speeds.  as for hashrate most people underpower their cards while still overclocking to get the most efficient hashrates, so watercooling won't really help unless you using them in a confined space like a main rig where they will get very hot and are running 100% power going for maximum hash.  on 1080ti's that would though be particularly helpful in that case yes since they run best hash at high power. lower model cards don't really need 100% though.
Activity: 10
Merit: 0

legendary
Activity: 1848
Merit: 1165
My AR-15 ID's itself as a toaster. Want breakfast?
Just to chime in I have a zotac 1070 mini with a failing fan fortunately it’s a 2 fan model and still runs cool but worries me about the other 6 I have

Said rig / card / fan

Ive noticed; when one fan begins to go out;  the second isn't far behind it.....

I dont know why;  but its always the case.

Maybe it has something to do with the failing bearing adding vibrations to the other and making it follow suit.
Activity: 2142
Merit: 353
Xtreme Monster
Friend is using 12v 3pin case fans and so far no problems, 12 asus gpus and all of the fans failed, gigabyte 2 fans, sapphire and evga, nothing at all.
Activity: 168
Merit: 39
When did Sapphire get good?  They were junk a few years ago.  I take it they are ball bearing now?

Just only buy ball bearing fan cards.  And try to run decent temps so they aren't spinning super fast.

They were ball bearing during the LITECOIN GPU mining craze, so years ago.
I don't remember a time they were junk, but I did spend several years ignoring discrete GPUs 'cause the on-MB video chipsets were "good enough" for anything I was doing for a long time, then the A10 iGPU took over.

Really? I had 12 sapphire 7970s DUAL X models during that time and most of them had failed fans in under a year. I was a noob so was running 70-80% speed at the time. They were also loud even at lower speed, maybe it was the motors.  

Now I run at 40-60%. I'll hand it to them though, they replaced them through RMA without hassle. Then I sold them.
legendary
When you guys replace failed fans, do you plug the new fans into the power supply or are you using the board GPU to power the fans?

The ones I use COULD plug into the GPU power (they use LESS total power than the original fans), but I find that setting them up on a MOLEX to run from 5 volts gives plenty of airflow AND very low power usage.
They're not PWM so there's no real point of trying to set them up on the GPU power connection.

legendary
When did Sapphire get good?  They were junk a few years ago.  I take it they are ball bearing now?

Just only buy ball bearing fan cards.  And try to run decent temps so they aren't spinning super fast.

They were ball bearing during the LITECOIN GPU mining craze, so years ago.
I don't remember a time they were junk, but I did spend several years ignoring discrete GPUs 'cause the on-MB video chipsets were "good enough" for anything I was doing for a long time, then the A10 iGPU took over.

Activity: 1414
Merit: 487
YouTube.com/VoskCoin

Said rig / card / fan
Activity: 59
Merit: 4
Activity: 59
Merit: 4
FYI;  if you pull the old fans off, and read the part numbers off the label, you can search it on ebay/amazon and find new direct-fit replacements.  Worked a charm for my Asus 980 that's been running 100% since it first hit the shelf.

I myself in between fan changes have taken 120mm case fans and just leaned them against the card that I have removed the fans from Wink  Gets you by.

Thats what I thought of doing at first, but the stock/replacement fans were more expensive than the ones I got if I include shipping, they perform poorly, and they consume more power
legendary
Activity: 4172
Merit: 8075
'The right to privacy matters'
When you guys replace failed fans, do you plug the new fans into the power supply or are you using the board GPU to power the fans?

both  depends on what is easy on that rig
Pages:
Jump to: