Author

Topic: Gridcoin (GRC) - first coin utilizing BOINC - Official Thread - page 117. (Read 597425 times)

Activity: 1050
Merit: 501
For POR you need coins in your account that are "staked". This is not like POW where you find blocks with actual hashing!! Do you understand that? You either need to convert old GRC classic to new POR GRC or you have to wait till the around the 20th of October when the POR GRC starts trading on the exchanges and get some POR GRC  so you can start staking in your wallet!! IF you have no coins right now in your POR wallet you will not receive anything!! You need to have coins in your POR wallet!!

This wasn't clear to me as well. The wallet says "boinc mining" and it's not true.
My wallet says "not mining" and it's not true neither...

Also it's a pity I have compiled, installed, worked on it and boinc-end and I'll not get anything for days, cause I need to have stake power for a coin which currently I can't buy.
Not everybody's been following the coin for months.
I've gotten in a couple weeks ago and read a lot of docs, but I didn't notice that for POR I need POS, and it seems I'm not the only one.
What?? We need PoS for PoR?? It's a joke or I havn't understood? We must buy the coins first to earn them later for scientific computations we do with our hardware and our electricity? The difference between PoS and PoR was clear but now it's not.
legendary
Activity: 2716
Merit: 1094
Black Belt Developer
For POR you need coins in your account that are "staked". This is not like POW where you find blocks with actual hashing!! Do you understand that? You either need to convert old GRC classic to new POR GRC or you have to wait till the around the 20th of October when the POR GRC starts trading on the exchanges and get some POR GRC  so you can start staking in your wallet!! IF you have no coins right now in your POR wallet you will not receive anything!! You need to have coins in your POR wallet!!

This wasn't clear to me as well. The wallet says "boinc mining" and it's not true.
Also it's a pity I have compiled, installed, worked on it and boinc-end and I'll not get anything for days, cause I need to have stake power for a coin which currently I can't buy.
I've gotten in a couple weeks ago and read a lot of docs, but I didn't notice that for POR I need POS, and it seems I'm not the only one.
To be an early adopter is never easy Smiley
We offer free startercoins on http://uscore.net

thanks I'll try that!
I really want to try PoR but at the same time I don't wanna mess with exchanges and that burning thing :-)
Activity: 213
Merit: 100

To be an early adopter is never easy Smiley
We offer free startercoins on http://uscore.net
legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1001
Then go to one of the exchanges and buy a small amount of classic GRC and convert it to POR GRC using the burn page: http://pool.gridcoin.us/CoinExchange.aspx then you will have some stake in your wallet!

For POR you need coins in your account that are "staked". This is not like POW where you find blocks with actual hashing!! Do you understand that? You either need to convert old GRC classic to new POR GRC or you have to wait till the around the 20th of October when the POR GRC starts trading on the exchanges and get some POR GRC  so you can start staking in your wallet!! IF you have no coins right now in your POR wallet you will not receive anything!! You need to have coins in your POR wallet!!

legendary
Activity: 2716
Merit: 1094
Black Belt Developer

legendary

I mean PoR only, and I don't want to buy anything Smiley I have the new wallet and computing since a week. I'd like to know when my GRC will be in my wallet only.

The Gridcoin classic wallet will be shut down on the 20th of October and the new POR (Proof of Research) wallet will be going live on the exchanges!! So if you want wait till the 20th and then you can buy some POR GRC on the exchanges and start with the new wallet which is much more simple to run! Forget about GRC classic!

The new wallet is pure Proof-of-Research plus Stake now.  Only the wallet in retirement uses scrypt Proof-of-Work and the community decided that 6 months was a sufficient amount of time to convert the Classic coins to the new Research coins.  

Great! I didn't understand it properly before Smiley
One more question - my world community grid shows:
Gridcoin       10/14/2014 - Current       0:002:06:48:15       9,964
the email is in .conf file
When should I receive first coins?

Tried to run boinc on GPU...and went back to mining. GPU computing must be improved or a clear instruction what to do, what settings, what variables etc published. Otherwise the best crypto-idea will fall and only we, three persons will write in this thread.
BTW: when I'll get my coins for CPU-computing during last days?
I mean PoR only, and I don't want to buy anything Smiley I have the new wallet and computing since a week. I'd like to know when my GRC will be in my wallet only.

The Gridcoin classic wallet will be shut down on the 20th of October and the new POR (Proof of Research) wallet will be going live on the exchanges!! So if you want wait till the 20th and then you can buy some POR GRC on the exchanges and start with the new wallet which is much more simple to run! Forget about GRC classic!

The new wallet is pure Proof-of-Research plus Stake now.  Only the wallet in retirement uses scrypt Proof-of-Work and the community decided that 6 months was a sufficient amount of time to convert the Classic coins to the new Research coins. 

Tried to run boinc on GPU...and went back to mining. GPU computing must be improved or a clear instruction what to do, what settings, what variables etc published. Otherwise the best crypto-idea will fall and only we, three persons will write in this thread.
legendary

The new wallet is pure Proof-of-Research plus Stake now.  Only the wallet in retirement uses scrypt Proof-of-Work and the community decided that 6 months was a sufficient amount of time to convert the Classic coins to the new Research coins. 

The new wallet is pure Proof-of-Research plus Stake now.  Only the wallet in retirement uses scrypt Proof-of-Work and the community decided that 6 months was a sufficient amount of time to convert the Classic coins to the new Research coins.  

legendary
Please read the instructions carefully before doing anything! Also try a small amount first just to make sure you know how the process works!!

http://pool.gridcoin.us/CoinExchange.aspx

before i burn coins do i have to have a new wallet installed as well as the classic wallet??
Activity: 170
before i burn coins do i have to have a new wallet installed as well as the classic wallet??

Yes!
Activity: 252
Merit: 250

Activity: 40
Merit: 0
The dev Rob, does not really post much on bitcointalk, you should probably head over to cryptocointalk!

Who is the dev?

My opinion is that the problem starts when there's PoR and scrypt PoW running in the same time. I think that a better idea would be to have pure PoR or PoS/PoR, because it's safer. Maybe instead of repairing blockchain every day (or twice a day), it would be better to finish PoW and switch to pure PoR (or rather PoR/PoS) now? And I wonder if the PoR block minting is a good idea (let's compare it to curecoin, where the research makes no blocks but a normal trasfer hashed by asics, here it should be hashed by PoS). By this ocasion the reward algorithm could be improved: no halvings, but more proportional amount of coins to the amount of points in long term.

We spent almost 4 months discussing, voting as a community, and testing the Proof-of-Research wallet.  Most of the information about testing and discussion is contained in these threads:
https://cryptocointalk.com/topic/13792-testers-wanted-gridcoinstake/
https://cryptocointalk.com/topic/16940-proof-of-research-and-economic-variables/
and starting about page 270:
https://cryptocointalk.com/topic/1331-new-coin-launch-announcement-grc-gridcoin/

In all there are well over 150 pages of in depth discussion that lead to the current launch of Proof-of-Research.

The new wallet is pure Proof-of-Research plus Stake now.  Only the wallet in retirement uses scrypt Proof-of-Work and the community decided that 6 months was a sufficient amount of time to convert the Classic coins to the new Research coins.  For the next 6 months there will be 2 wallets, the Classic wallet that runs on Proof-of-Work with a reduced reward and the Research wallet that runs on Proof-of-Research plus Stake.  For the most up to date information visit the wiki at:

http://wiki.gridcoin.us/Main_Page
Activity: 40
Merit: 0
when can we start exchanging our old coins for the new??

You can burn them any time:
http://pool.gridcoin.us/CoinExchange.aspx

You can start already, please follow the instruction on the burn page carefully!

I have asked Rob to remove the text saying you cannot use it yet.
Activity: 252
Merit: 250
Who is the dev?

My opinion is that the problem starts when there's PoR and scrypt PoW running in the same time. I think that a better idea would be to have pure PoR or PoS/PoR, because it's safer. Maybe instead of repairing blockchain every day (or twice a day), it would be better to finish PoW and switch to pure PoR (or rather PoR/PoS) now? And I wonder if the PoR block minting is a good idea (let's compare it to curecoin, where the research makes no blocks but a normal trasfer hashed by asics, here it should be hashed by PoS). By this ocasion the reward algorithm could be improved: no halvings, but more proportional amount of coins to the amount of points in long term.

PoW is only running on classic, PoR is the new chain with the converted coins. Are you on CCT yet?
legendary
The dev Rob, does not really post much on bitcointalk, you should probably head over to cryptocointalk!

Who is the dev?

Who is the dev?

Jump to: