Author

Topic: Gridcoin (GRC) - first coin utilizing BOINC - Official Thread - page 116. (Read 597425 times)

Activity: 803
Merit: 500
Latest version is Gridcoin Research 5.95/3.1.6.3: http://download.gridcoin.us/download/downloadstake/GridcoinResearch.msi

OK Smiley I've taken the new version from github and built. Synchronises much faster Smiley

There's one interesting thing: the wallet checks and prints the boost library version (in clientmodel.cpp and rpcconsole.cpp). On the machine with boost 1.55 the compilation goes without any problems, on other machines (boost 1.48) make returns error, so I had to comment out the lines in code that print boost version. After this the wallet gets compiled, works but the debug window says unknown boost version. Tried to think why it is like this but I don't know...

100 GRC are here, now I'm waiting how nice the PoR will go Smiley

Is there any faucet where newcomers can receive at least 1 grc to start PoR? There are around 300 Million Gridcoins out there, so some thousand grc for free shouldn't bother the community. Some free gridcoins can be received from tomorrow on bitcoinblog.de. I will post an article about gridcoin and give interested readers one gridcoin each.
Activity: 213
Merit: 100
With the new wallet, all local projects are reported missing, even those who were good before. No more good cpids so no mining...
I will relay this issue to cryptocointalk Wink
legendary
Activity: 2716
Merit: 1094
Black Belt Developer
With the new wallet, all local projects are reported missing, even those who were good before. No more good cpids so no mining...
Activity: 213
Merit: 100
pallas, compiled the new version? every day we have a new wallet version Smiley you shouldn't be too far Smiley

I am laughing that the wallet says that my "guesstimated time to earn a reward" is 442 days (EDIT 516 days... after a few hours running the wallet). OK, I've put  my CPUs only, but waiting more than a year sounds curious. Something must be wrong with the wallet.

BTW: I've been fighting for over a week to make my GPUs work... Today I've switched them from fah to boinc, but the problem is the same. Testing the littlest: radeon 6850, that supports opencl (over 1 MH on qubit). But no way to make this GPU make useful computing... I've read so many posts on forums from people who want to lower their gpu utilisation, because it runs 100% by default but I have the opposite problem: GPU goes idle or works at 1-10% :/ I've tried everything I could find online and don't know what to do.
You are already used to BOINC, so I might be stating the obvious here. Just check again, maybe it could be of help.
Are you working on a whitelisted GPU-only project? You can check for info in your BOINC-Manager or on the project pages. Besides, idle times for GPU can configured in BOINC manager. Then, there is a thread for help regarding setup: https://cryptocointalk.com/topic/1428-technical-support-thread/
Activity: 1050
Merit: 501
pallas, compiled the new version? every day we have a new wallet version Smiley you shouldn't be too far Smiley

I am laughing that the wallet says that my "guesstimated time to earn a reward" is 442 days (EDIT 516 days... after a few hours running the wallet). OK, I've put  my CPUs only, but waiting more than a year sounds curious. Something must be wrong with the wallet.

BTW: I've been fighting for over a week to make my GPUs work... Today I've switched them from fah to boinc, but the problem is the same. Testing the littlest: radeon 6850, that supports opencl (over 1 MH on qubit). But no way to make this GPU make useful computing... I've read so many posts on forums from people who want to lower their gpu utilisation, because it runs 100% by default but I have the opposite problem: GPU goes idle or works at 1-10% :/ I've tried everything I could find online and don't know what to do.
legendary
Black Belt Developer
sent 100

thanks!
I've just git pull and recompiled, starting from clean blockchain and peers.dat
Synced fast and fine, but now:

"errors" : "WARNING: Invalid checkpoint found! Displayed transactions may not be correct! You may need to upgrade, or notify developers."
Latest version is Gridcoin Research 5.95/3.1.6.3: http://download.gridcoin.us/download/downloadstake/GridcoinResearch.msi

OK Smiley I've taken the new version from github and built. Synchronises much faster Smiley

There's one interesting thing: the wallet checks and prints the boost library version (in clientmodel.cpp and rpcconsole.cpp). On the machine with boost 1.55 the compilation goes without any problems, on other machines (boost 1.48) make returns error, so I had to comment out the lines in code that print boost version. After this the wallet gets compiled, works but the debug window says unknown boost version. Tried to think why it is like this but I don't know...

100 GRC are here, now I'm waiting how nice the PoR will go Smiley
legendary
Activity: 1358
Merit: 1000
Yes you need at least 1 GRC to validate your node like POS to begin minting POR blocks, but unlike simple interest your minting is based on your research participation.  There will be many giveaways in the future (there is one currently as anonerd mentioned: http://uscore.net) for people to get started. In the mean time anyone looking to get started will be helped on the forums.

Thank you for the concrete info.

I'm helping you testing, pushing up this thread, and finally donating my computing power and electricity to your project, and still I'm not 100% sure if it really works. I will support your project in long term in future too, because I think it's a really good idea (one of the best ideas in cryptoworld), but except investing my computing power and time, I will not invest my BTC, PLN nor EUR.
Here's my PoR GRC address: S5ePpF26ehemfCrrmkczLvnbXfvAazSYM6  I'd like to test if it really works as you have written.

Sent 100

Can I have a couple too, so I can enable PoR, please?

SEmmy4eKr6g35SHP3nvarycM1GW9rYgom7

Thanks very much!

sent 100
legendary
Black Belt Developer
Why don't you signup for the 20 POR GRC giveaway @ http://uscore.net ?

Yes you need at least 1 GRC to validate your node like POS to begin minting POR blocks, but unlike simple interest your minting is based on your research participation.  There will be many giveaways in the future (there is one currently as anonerd mentioned: http://uscore.net) for people to get started. In the mean time anyone looking to get started will be helped on the forums.

I'm helping you testing, pushing up this thread, and finally donating my computing power and electricity to your project, and still I'm not 100% sure if it really works. I will support your project in long term in future too, because I think it's a really good idea (one of the best ideas in cryptoworld), but except investing my computing power and time, I will not invest my BTC, PLN nor EUR.
Here's my PoR GRC address: S5ePpF26ehemfCrrmkczLvnbXfvAazSYM6  I'd like to test if it really works as you have written.

Sent 100

Thanks very much!

someone please send me even a single coin, I'll give it back as soon as I mine the first block.

Already did it, but to get the "startup pack" you need to wait :-)
I have 3 projects well over 100 RAC, boinc mining for nothing.
legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1001
Why don't you signup for the 20 POR GRC giveaway @ http://uscore.net ?

Here's my PoR GRC address: S5ePpF26ehemfCrrmkczLvnbXfvAazSYM6  I'd like to test if it really works as you have written.

Sent 100

Thanks very much!

someone please send me even a single coin, I'll give it back as soon as I mine the first block.
legendary
Black Belt Developer

Here's my PoR GRC address: S5ePpF26ehemfCrrmkczLvnbXfvAazSYM6  I'd like to test if it really works as you have written.

Sent 100

Thanks very much!

legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1001

Yes you need at least 1 GRC to validate your node like POS to begin minting POR blocks, but unlike simple interest your minting is based on your research participation.  There will be many giveaways in the future (there is one currently as anonerd mentioned: http://uscore.net) for people to get started. In the mean time anyone looking to get started will be helped on the forums.

Sent 100

Thank you. I will see it when I get synced, now I'm still "1 hour behind" (in the morning it was "1 hour behind" too). I don't know why it happens. I thought that I'm on wrong fork again, but checked block explorer and there's the same block number. Wallet version is v3.1.6.2-g-research (yesterday's version).

Sent 100

Thank you. I will see it when I get synced, now I'm still "1 hour behind" (in the morning it was "1 hour behind" too). I don't know why it happens. I thought that I'm on wrong fork again, but checked block explorer and there's the same block number. Wallet version is v3.1.6.2-g-research (yesterday's version).
legendary
Black Belt Developer

Sent 100

Thanks very much!
legendary

Sent 100

legendary
For POR you need coins in your account that are "staked". This is not like POW where you find blocks with actual hashing!! Do you understand that? You either need to convert old GRC classic to new POR GRC or you have to wait till the around the 20th of October when the POR GRC starts trading on the exchanges and get some POR GRC  so you can start staking in your wallet!! IF you have no coins right now in your POR wallet you will not receive anything!! You need to have coins in your POR wallet!!

This wasn't clear to me as well. The wallet says "boinc mining" and it's not true.
My wallet says "not mining" and it's not true neither...

Also it's a pity I have compiled, installed, worked on it and boinc-end and I'll not get anything for days, cause I need to have stake power for a coin which currently I can't buy.
Not everybody's been following the coin for months.
I've gotten in a couple weeks ago and read a lot of docs, but I didn't notice that for POR I need POS, and it seems I'm not the only one.
What?? We need PoS for PoR?? It's a joke or I havn't understood? We must buy the coins first to earn them later for scientific computations we do with our hardware and our electricity? The difference between PoS and PoR was clear but now it's not.

legendary

In case anyone missed it:
The latest POR client 3.1.6.3 with increased network security is release: http://download.gridcoin.us/download/downloadstake/GridcoinResearch.msi
Please delete you blockchain and redownload if you are not on the same last block as the explorer: http://explorer.gridcoin.us/
For POR you need coins in your account that are "staked". This is not like POW where you find blocks with actual hashing!! Do you understand that? You either need to convert old GRC classic to new POR GRC or you have to wait till the around the 20th of October when the POR GRC starts trading on the exchanges and get some POR GRC  so you can start staking in your wallet!! IF you have no coins right now in your POR wallet you will not receive anything!! You need to have coins in your POR wallet!!

This wasn't clear to me as well. The wallet says "boinc mining" and it's not true.

Also it's a pity I have compiled, installed, worked on it and boinc-end and I'll not get anything for days, cause I need to have stake power for a coin which currently I can't buy.
I've gotten in a couple weeks ago and read a lot of docs, but I didn't notice that for POR I need POS, and it seems I'm not the only one.
What?? We need PoS for PoR?? It's a joke or I havn't understood? We must buy the coins first to earn them later for scientific computations we do with our hardware and our electricity? The difference between PoS and PoR was clear but now it's not.

There are two block chains.  Gridcoin-Classic and Gridcoin-Research.  Both are currently live and will run side by side for the next 6 months.  It may be helpful for you to read the wiki:

http://wiki.gridcoin.us

Be sure to click through and read the sub pages paying special attention to the Proof-of-Research, Events and the FAQ.  It is still a work in progress but that is currently the best resource for up to date information regarding Gridcoin right now.

Could you answer to each pallas's and my questions clearly (yes/no)?
Activity: 40
Merit: 0

There are two block chains.  Gridcoin-Classic and Gridcoin-Research.  Both are currently live and will run side by side for the next 6 months.  It may be helpful for you to read the wiki:

http://wiki.gridcoin.us

Be sure to click through and read the sub pages paying special attention to the Proof-of-Research, Events and the FAQ.  It is still a work in progress but that is currently the best resource for up to date information regarding Gridcoin right now.
Jump to: