Author

Topic: Gridcoin (GRC) - first coin utilizing BOINC - Official Thread - page 130. (Read 597425 times)

Activity: 1666
Merit: 565
What is bonic? how does it work? i like what this does, but i wonder how the topics of research are chosen?

What part of full-atom molecular simulation is being funded or helped through this? Why my questions is important because, i dont want to see another longer cern particle collider just so we can find a smaller particle than the atom. why do i say this? because that will be an epic waste of money. just to bring a little perspective into the context, let me explain where i'm coming from...

maybe truth doesnt lie in finding the smallest particle, because the atom can tell us as much as the smaller particle can about the rest of the universe, as much as the universe and nature can teach us about the higgsboson particle without even finding the particle. so here's the leap of faith: if this is possible, we need to first start with a change in perception and logic/understanding of how our world really works, because what if all that we know is not truth? if we do not seek truth first, we are simply learning/educating blindly, things that could eventually be meaningless and even lead us into the wrong paths. Point here is; if we know Truth, we will know where to look for Knowledge. Do you agree with me?

i was told that #Gridcoin = money that can be obtained by contributing CPU/GPU power towards scientific research via BOINC.

in certain fields such as :
1. Full-atom molecular simulation
2. Asteroid research
3. Human genome mapping.. just a few things #Gridcoin mining does.

i'm interested in some more questions here..

by dedicating mining power via bonic, does that mean that the mining power is used for researchers to tap into a pool of computational power to run calculations in respect of conducting research? is this statement right? am i wrong or does it have more utility than this? because from what i know sometimes it takes hours and days just to run a calculation on your personal laptop for finding statistical relationships if variables n data is large. seems like really good way to take the load off the personal computers of researchers, while being able to tap into a network of otherwise wasted energy..

also, why these specific fields? what is the one goal of gridcoin, besides research? why pick the fields that were picked?

and how do you go about accelerating research & education within them?

what are your efforts to make gridcoin an environmentally friendly coin?

i think your last question is very important, but the answer is really simple.
When you mine gridcoin, you actually use (most of) your cpu/gpu for some boinc'project. So, you're not wasting power, but you're using it to help science.
legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1001
The boinc projects are chosen by the miners themselves, whatever fields of science you find interesting http://boinc.berkeley.edu/projects.php You can also make your own Boinc project and have miners contribute to it. Rob, the dev of Gridcoin is now working on financial options analysis with Boinc, you can read more about it here: https://cryptocointalk.com/topic/11357-gridcoin-finance-project/

What is bonic? how does it work? i like what this does, but i wonder how the topics of research are chosen?

What part of full-atom molecular simulation is being funded or helped through this? Why my questions is important because, i dont want to see another longer cern particle collider just so we can find a smaller particle than the atom. why do i say this? because that will be an epic waste of money. just to bring a little perspective into the context, let me explain where i'm coming from...

maybe truth doesnt lie in finding the smallest particle, because the atom can tell us as much as the smaller particle can about the rest of the universe, as much as the universe and nature can teach us about the higgsboson particle without even finding the particle. so here's the leap of faith: if this is possible, we need to first start with a change in perception and logic/understanding of how our world really works, because what if all that we know is not truth? if we do not seek truth first, we are simply learning/educating blindly, things that could eventually be meaningless and even lead us into the wrong paths. Point here is; if we know Truth, we will know where to look for Knowledge. Do you agree with me?

i was told that #Gridcoin = money that can be obtained by contributing CPU/GPU power towards scientific research via BOINC.

2. Asteroid research

by dedicating mining power via bonic, does that mean that the mining power is used for researchers to tap into a pool of computational power to run calculations in respect of conducting research? is this statement right? am i wrong or does it have more utility than this? because from what i know sometimes it takes hours and days just to run a calculation on your personal laptop for finding statistical relationships if variables n data is large. seems like really good way to take the load off the personal computers of researchers, while being able to tap into a network of otherwise wasted energy..

also, why these specific fields? what is the one goal of gridcoin, besides research? why pick the fields that were picked?

Activity: 98
Merit: 10
@AltcoinAdam

2. Asteroid research

legendary
CPU mining is a mix of different algo, it is not scrypt!!

I have been cpu mining for a while too, it uses less power and is way more profitable.  Once we get a decent multipool and p2pool everyone will be able to join in.

I would mine this if it wasn't Scrypt algo, there are many Algos now that are way more efficient, use less wattage and don't heat up my GPUs, Scrypt is simply obsolete IMO, unless maybe if you're using ASICs.

you can mine GRC only with your cpu. I think this is the best way to use your cpu in cryptomining Smiley

It heats up too much specially now in the summer, it will destroy your CPU in the not so distant future, that's what I dislike about Scrypt the most.
I have been cpu mining for a while too, it uses less power and is way more profitable.  Once we get a decent multipool and p2pool everyone will be able to join in.

I would mine this if it wasn't Scrypt algo, there are many Algos now that are way more efficient, use less wattage and don't heat up my GPUs, Scrypt is simply obsolete IMO, unless maybe if you're using ASICs.

you can mine GRC only with your cpu. I think this is the best way to use your cpu in cryptomining Smiley

It heats up too much specially now in the summer, it will destroy your CPU in the not so distant future, that's what I dislike about Scrypt the most.

have you tried it? i don't think so Smiley

when you cpu mine, most of you cpu is used by some boinc project, not grc client itself! So, if you have heat problem, Scypt algo is not the one to blame.
legendary
Activity: 1288
Merit: 1002
I have been cpu mining for a while too, it uses less power and is way more profitable.  Once we get a decent multipool and p2pool everyone will be able to join in.

Any news on the mac client?

still in develpment i think Sad
Activity: 603
Merit: 500
Any news on the mac client?
legendary
I have been cpu mining for a while too, it uses less power and is way more profitable.  Once we get a decent multipool and p2pool everyone will be able to join in.

legendary
Activity: 1288
Merit: 1002
why we don't have boinc credits?
legendary
We need to get on bittrex or cryptsy, the stratum is not working because there needs to be Boinc credits, otherwise the blocks are rejected by the client.

https://coinking.io

gridcoin: stratum+tcp://us1.coinking.io:3376
         scrypt Multipool: stratum+tcp://us1.coinking.io:7777

About COINKING.io
         50+ Coins
         1% Pool Fee
         Custom Coded from the ground up for scalability
         Scrypt, Scrypt-N, X11, X13, SHA256, Quark Support
         Multipools for Scrypt, Scrypt-N, X11, X13, SHA256
         American, European, and Asian stratum servers
         Auto-Convert block rewards to BTC/DOGE/LTC/FLT/WC/VTC/CINNI/WEST/PC/DRK/MAST/CRY/BOST/DIS
         Proprietary Profit Analysis Algorithm
         Dedicated (Single Coin) Mining Ports for every coin
         Email and SMS Alerts for everything!
         SMS (Text Message) Two Factor Auth
         DDoS Protection
         Automated configuration builder for all coins/algorithms.
         Refer other miners and earn 1% on all referrals with our innovative referral system

Support
         URL: https://coinking.io
         Email: [email protected]
         IRC: irc.freenode.net #coinking

.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,

I would LOVE to use this....but I haven't been able to connect. Anyone have it working?
Activity: 61
Merit: 10

About COINKING.io
         50+ Coins
         1% Pool Fee
         Auto-Convert block rewards to BTC/DOGE/LTC/FLT/WC/VTC/CINNI/WEST/PC/DRK/MAST/CRY/BOST/DIS
         DDoS Protection
         Refer other miners and earn 1% on all referrals with our innovative referral system

Support

.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,

I would LOVE to use this....but I haven't been able to connect. Anyone have it working?
Activity: 150
Merit: 100
It's just a stratum pool, the multipool is not up, we need to get on bittrex or cryptsy.

hope that the volume will rise now Cheesy

ah, ok. Understood.

P.S: i can't find how to vote on bittrex  Sad

I do not believe they take votes.  Bittrex relys on social type media information to determine which coins to list.  This is why that have so many new coins (most of which fail), but Gridcoin falls under the radar.
And this, of course, is why we need to get as many tweets, posts, and IRC chats as possible - get some attention going!
It's just a stratum pool, the multipool is not up, we need to get on bittrex or cryptsy.

ah, ok. Understood.

P.S: i can't find how to vote on bittrex  Sad
Activity: 40
Merit: 0
Everyone that wants to see gridcoin as a conversion option on CoinKing needs to tweet @BittrexExchange specifically asking to list gridcoin, being on Bittrex is a pre-requisite.  Make sure you include the #gridcoin hashtag and if you start the tweet with @BittrexExchange make sure you put a "." or something in front of it because twitter treats it as a private conversation instead of a mention if the first character is @.
legendary

legendary
Awesome news, I am gonna try it today.

yeay!
has anyone tried it already?

About COINKING.io
         50+ Coins
         1% Pool Fee
         DDoS Protection

Support

Jump to: