Author

Topic: Gridcoin (GRC) - first coin utilizing BOINC - Official Thread - page 132. (Read 597425 times)

legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1001
1. Do you mean one wallet on several computers?

2. You can CPU mine Gridcoin and have the GPU do Boinc work for projects like Milkyway@home. That's what I do now.

3. I haven't used asics, but I think it can work if the asic can mine against a loopback address, once the new p2pool is up I think it will be easier to use asic.

A very interesting initiative, but before I can join I need a few clarifications (I've mined Bicoin and altcoins for a long time, so I know all about it. I've also had top hosts in S@H for years, so I know all about BOINC projetcts too):

1: When will you support one wallet address? Current implementation is way too manual as it requires one wallet per host, and administering so many wallet addresses is an no go.
2: I don't understand how the hardware utilization is shared. I use my GPUs to crunch M@H or S@H tasks with each project's optimized binaries, so there is no gpu cycles left to also mine.
3: How to set up ASICs?

Morten
Activity: 66
Merit: 10
A very interesting initiative, but before I can join I need a few clarifications (I've mined Bicoin and altcoins for a long time, so I know all about it. I've also had top hosts in S@H for years, so I know all about BOINC projetcts too):

1: When will you support one wallet address? Current implementation is way too manual as it requires one wallet per host, and administering so many wallet addresses is an no go.
2: I don't understand how the hardware utilization is shared. I use my GPUs to crunch M@H or S@H tasks with each project's optimized binaries, so there is no gpu cycles left to also mine.
3: How to set up ASICs?

Morten
Activity: 1666
Merit: 565
Hi all,

don't forget that there's a nice competition for voting at Mintpal!

https://cryptocointalk.com/topic/12449-listing-at-mintpal/

A.

these are the things that, in the end, make a community's coin great!
Activity: 144
Merit: 100
Hi all,

don't forget that there's a nice competition for voting at Mintpal!

https://cryptocointalk.com/topic/12449-listing-at-mintpal/

A.
I know!

that's why i don't understand the price is so low!

There are several things that are easy to point to that explain the current price action.  Gridcoin had good price appreciation and support for over a month, then there were a few hiccups during the upgrade and some investors got nervous, then polo closed the GRC/BTC market for a week and a half.  Before the market closed there were 25 btc in buy orders in the book, when it re-opened there were less than 2 btc.  At the same time we had a miner (I know it was a miner(s) because I traced the sell orders back to the blockchain transactions and the GRC came from recently mined blocks) or two who were regularly "dumping" 20,000-50,000 on the orderbook.  There was even a dump of almost 150,000 that broke support around 2000 sat.  The dumping seems to have slowed and buy support is returning.  In addition, Rob continues to work hard at making the wallet stable and we have more miners added to the gridcoin BOINC team every day. 

Gridcoin has had some growing pains but in my opinion that makes it a great buy at this level.  Distributed networks that can capture underutilized resources and compensate the resource holder for the use of that resource will be the next leap in computing technology and that is what Gridcoin does.

What it comes down to is that the only people excited about Gridcoin are the ones mining it.  We need to continue to grow the network and spread the word.  We need people to truly understand the concept of being compensated for contributing to a distributed compute network.  If you want to help spread the word we are organizing a tweet storm here: https://cryptocointalk.com/topic/13188-twitter-storm-guerrilla-marketing-campaign/

off course i want to spread the world! count me in!

i'm going to post in that thread!
legendary
Activity: 1121
Merit: 1003
To be honest after the Mintpal decided to keeps everyone's money who voted and closing the votes I am not sure I want GRC on that exchange. I would much rater get GRC on cryptsy. They have US fiat deposits now.

We need people voting at mintpal. Please vote at https://www.mintpal.com/voting
That should help make more people aware of gridcoin and further price appreciation.

There closed in the voting September 1. So we have time IMO
Activity: 40
Merit: 0
I know!

There are several things that are easy to point to that explain the current price action.  Gridcoin had good price appreciation and support for over a month, then there were a few hiccups during the upgrade and some investors got nervous, then polo closed the GRC/BTC market for a week and a half.  Before the market closed there were 25 btc in buy orders in the book, when it re-opened there were less than 2 btc.  At the same time we had a miner (I know it was a miner(s) because I traced the sell orders back to the blockchain transactions and the GRC came from recently mined blocks) or two who were regularly "dumping" 20,000-50,000 on the orderbook.  There was even a dump of almost 150,000 that broke support around 2000 sat.  The dumping seems to have slowed and buy support is returning.  In addition, Rob continues to work hard at making the wallet stable and we have more miners added to the gridcoin BOINC team every day. 

Gridcoin has had some growing pains but in my opinion that makes it a great buy at this level.  Distributed networks that can capture underutilized resources and compensate the resource holder for the use of that resource will be the next leap in computing technology and that is what Gridcoin does.

What it comes down to is that the only people excited about Gridcoin are the ones mining it.  We need to continue to grow the network and spread the word.  We need people to truly understand the concept of being compensated for contributing to a distributed compute network.  If you want to help spread the word we are organizing a tweet storm here: https://cryptocointalk.com/topic/13188-twitter-storm-guerrilla-marketing-campaign/
legendary
To be honest after the Mintpal decided to keeps everyone's money who voted and closing the votes I am not sure I want GRC on that exchange. I would much rater get GRC on cryptsy. They have US fiat deposits now.

That should help make more people aware of gridcoin and further price appreciation.
legendary
Activity: 1121
Merit: 1003
I know!

legendary
I think we are doing ok Smiley

Activity: 378
Merit: 250
is the coin dead?
Activity: 296
There will be a scrypt an x11 multipool for Gridcoin very soon, so price will start to rise.

reputables.
Prompt, which explains why such a price drop?
agree introduced CPU blocks that uvelichelis number of payments, but it is a price drop in 2 times instead of 4-3,5!!!

yeah! need to know this too!

hope you will be right!

i remenber when the price was 0.001btc/grc.

and the saddest thing, is the 24volume Sad

when cpu-mining came on-board, the max coin amount simply doubled.
supporters tried to hold the value up, but it has to sustain itself to go forward.
awaiting the new buy-side multi-pool Smiley

i'm still mining and i'm still holding.

we'll see!
Hey guys I cant log into pool anylonger fairly new account

Hi Bill,

pool is up and running...I can log in and everything.

A.
Activity: 296
Hey guys I cant log into pool anylonger fairly new account
There will be a scrypt an x11 multipool for Gridcoin very soon, so price will start to rise.

reputables.
Prompt, which explains why such a price drop?
agree introduced CPU blocks that uvelichelis number of payments, but it is a price drop in 2 times instead of 4-3,5!!!

yeah! need to know this too!

hope you will be right!

i remenber when the price was 0.001btc/grc.

and the saddest thing, is the 24volume Sad

when cpu-mining came on-board, the max coin amount simply doubled.
supporters tried to hold the value up, but it has to sustain itself to go forward.
awaiting the new buy-side multi-pool Smiley

Hi Anonerd,

you don't have your facts right.

Since the new CPU mining has gone live, the estimated total coin count went back to the original of ~168 million, because the total of 576 blocks per day are now split between GPU&CPU miners.

Andrew.
Jump to: