Pages:
Author

Topic: Gridcoin (GRC) - first coin utilizing BOINC - Official Thread - page 20. (Read 597425 times)

legendary
Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030
Hi everyone, it's been a long time since when i was mining gridcoin, but for all of this months i've been of gridcoin's team on world cyber greed (WCG).
I was wandering...gridcoin is still minable with cpu?

YOYO, YAFU, both are CPU specific at this time to my specific knowlage.
 I'm currently pulling a little over 20 GRC a day despite not making any special effort at CPU mining via YOYO.

There are a few other projects that are CPU-centric as well in the Gridcoin whitelist, but I don't remember which ones they are offhand.

Activity: 1666
Merit: 565
Hi everyone, it's been a long time since when i was mining gridcoin, but for all of this months i've been of gridcoin's team on world cyber greed (WCG).
I was wandering...gridcoin is still minable with cpu?
legendary
Gridcoins for free

* top accounts from 2 BOINC projects which currently have no/enough WUs

https://steemit.com/gridcoin/@erkan/top-accounts-from-2-boinc-projects-which-currently-have-no-enough-wus

I still haven't quite figured out if you're actually supporting the project or trying to denounce it most of the time Cheesy

The 3 GRC pools are some of my primary competition on Moo Wrapper - grcpool-3 in particular has been breathing down my neck for a while now, though the Vega56 I have on order should give me some breathing space once I get it up and running.
 They are "top accounts" due to massive participation far more than "taking advantage" of anything.

What I'm having issues with right now is a "new" wallet error, "Unable to send beacon! Unlock wallet!" that persists even when I DO unlock the wallet.
 My last beacon send was 5 months back (May 31), I SHOULD NOT BE DUE TO HAVE TO SEND A NEW ONE yet.

3.6.3 wallet at least has been STABLE for me - no crashes or reboots in at least a week so far.
Activity: 168
Merit: 100
Gridcoins for free

https://steemit.com/gridcoin/@erkan/top-accounts-from-2-boinc-projects-which-currently-have-no-enough-wus

I still haven't quite figured out if you're actually supporting the project or trying to denounce it most of the time Cheesy
Activity: 226
Gridcoins for free

Activity: 104
Merit: 10
There is no "fixed calculation" to figure out your rewards for a given card - it depends on which project you work on, how many other folks are earning Gridcoin via that project, and how well your card does on that project.

Due to the nature of how BOINC calculates RAC (which is the basis that GRC uses to figure it's payouts) it also takes about a month for your earnings to ramp up close to full once you DO get started on a project.

Speaking to the Moo Wrapper project specifically (where most of my efforts are concentrated for non-GRC reasons), a single RX 480 should get to ballpark 550,000 RAC by the end of a month - as of right now that would earn about 17 GRC a day which is worth 60 cents more-or-less right now.
 These figures change though, as folks switch projects and new folks get involved and existing participants leave.

The RX 470/480/570/580 are some of the best cards to use on this particular project - their closest NVidia equal is the GTX 1070, which has about the same keyrate as a 480/580 for quite a bit more $$$ but about the same power usage.
 This project also works quite well on older pre-GCN AMD cards, unlike many cryptocoin mining programs. and is efficient to run on the iGPUs that AMD puts on their A-series CPUs.

Other projects will vary a lot - Milkyway for example needs good FP64 (dual precision floating point) performance, so it's very partial to the older AMD Tahiti-based cards like the HD 7970 and R9 280 / 280x while NOT working nearly as well on the current Polaris-based cards or anything NVidia short of the pre-Pascal generation Titans (there also appear to be some driver issues that make the older Titans that SHOULD work better on Milkyway somewhat less effective compared to the Hawaii AMD cards).
 For comparison, the R9 280x on Moo Wrapper is a little LOWER performance than the RX 470 (I have some of both working in Moo Wrapper).

Realistically, you don't work with GRC to maximise your profits out of a card, as a general rule there are more profitable options.
 You work with GRC because you WANT to do the research and it makes it less expensive for you if you work on GRC-supported projects.

WOW!  Thanks for your time and great information. Smiley
legendary
There is no "fixed calculation" to figure out your rewards for a given card - it depends on which project you work on, how many other folks are earning Gridcoin via that project, and how well your card does on that project.

Due to the nature of how BOINC calculates RAC (which is the basis that GRC uses to figure it's payouts) it also takes about a month for your earnings to ramp up close to full once you DO get started on a project.

Speaking to the Moo Wrapper project specifically (where most of my efforts are concentrated for non-GRC reasons), a single RX 480 should get to ballpark 550,000 RAC by the end of a month - as of right now that would earn about 17 GRC a day which is worth 60 cents more-or-less right now.
 These figures change though, as folks switch projects and new folks get involved and existing participants leave.

The RX 470/480/570/580 are some of the best cards to use on this particular project - their closest NVidia equal is the GTX 1070, which has about the same keyrate as a 480/580 for quite a bit more $$$ but about the same power usage.
 This project also works quite well on older pre-GCN AMD cards, unlike many cryptocoin mining programs. and is efficient to run on the iGPUs that AMD puts on their A-series CPUs.

Other projects will vary a lot - Milkyway for example needs good FP64 (dual precision floating point) performance, so it's very partial to the older AMD Tahiti-based cards like the HD 7970 and R9 280 / 280x while NOT working nearly as well on the current Polaris-based cards or anything NVidia short of the pre-Pascal generation Titans (there also appear to be some driver issues that make the older Titans that SHOULD work better on Milkyway somewhat less effective compared to the Hawaii AMD cards).
 For comparison, the R9 280x on Moo Wrapper is a little LOWER performance than the RX 470 (I have some of both working in Moo Wrapper).

Realistically, you don't work with GRC to maximise your profits out of a card, as a general rule there are more profitable options.
 You work with GRC because you WANT to do the research and it makes it less expensive for you if you work on GRC-supported projects.
Activity: 104
interesting coin. Can anyone tell me what is the reward with system RX 480 8GB?
Activity: 524
Merit: 502

I would appreciate to have some informations and updates from the development team, please?

I have no clue really about what is going on really.

Especially, if it was the "birthday" of this project, it would be great to read
about the project, what is in place and what is too come in a not long future.

thanks in advance

Theyre mainly active on cryptocointalk forum. I think they should create a new ANN thread
Activity: 746
Merit: 500

I would appreciate to have some informations and updates from the development team, please?

I have no clue really about what is going on really.

Especially, if it was the "birthday" of this project, it would be great to read
about the project, what is in place and what is too come in a not long future.

thanks in advance
legendary
I see total over 20 PetaFlops. Same speed as world's fastest 8th supercomputer. Cheers

Doesn't really match up right on that, as BOINC projects use a mix of "heavy on DP FP", "heavy on SP FP", and "heavy on integer" work - depending on which project - while the Top500 supercomputer list is strictly FP heavy (and does not SPECIFY if it is SP or DP but most folks that publish that benchmark are probably running it in SP).

Moo Wrapper, for example, does not floating point work at all - like cryptocoin mining (for the SAME reasons since it IS work on a specific crypto algorithm) it's all integer operations, mostly integer addition and integer rotations (aka barrel shifts) which makes it impossible to compare using a floating-point benchmark.

I've never used a GRC pool - and it's not like most cryptocoin mining where you are in a "lottery" and have to earn a block to get any earnings at all.
 A pool might make sense for folks with low GRC magnitude, so you don't have to keep months worth of your production in the wallet to get your earnings on a reasonably often basis.

Activity: 75
I was trying to understand what to do about mining.

When is the right time to do solo mining instead of using a pool ?
I know that the benefit is staking but how many grc can you mine alone ?

How many grc you should have to move from pool to solo ?
Activity: 90
I see total over 20 PetaFlops. Same speed as world's fastest 8th supercomputer. Cheers
Activity: 8
Merit: 0
Hi team GRC,
I can't find the developer information, can you help me?
Thank you.
legendary

Unless they were born on Febuary 29, in which case they can live a LOT longer than folks born on other birthdates without having as many birthdays.

9-)

Activity: 770
Merit: 500
I think there is a good entry right know.
got him at 550. I see (wish) him doublin today.

or 450  Cry
Activity: 25
Merit: 0
I think there is a good entry right know.
got him at 550. I see (wish) him doublin today.
Pages:
Jump to: