Pages:
Author

Topic: GridSeed 5-chip USB miner voltage mod - page 2. (Read 156980 times)

ZiG
Activity: 406
Merit: 250
Even one of my volt-modded (R52 47k) 5-chip GridSeeds went dead after mining on 1200MHz.
You can see separated positive lead. I forgot to take picture while it seemed there is burned area 3x3cm.
I didn't have any ISO to clean so I used cheap Etheric Oil to clean the burned area  Cool
After cleaning I was really happy that there are only FB23 & FB24 burned and that I am not the only one left with melted ferrite cores.
Short question if I order 74792121 part from Farnell will it work? What can potentially happen if I brick it Cheesy

I am mining on my developing machine with R9 280x, HD5870 and 5x volt-modded (R52 47k) 5-chip GridSeeds.
All together is powered with Platinum CORSAIR AX860. I don't want to burn my whole machine so what are FB23 & FB24 supposed to do and is there any risk to damage my PSU if i brick them.

Thank you in any advance!

Hmm that is interesting....I used this part from digikey for FB23/24 http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/742792121/732-4654-1-ND/4310394.  Mouser also had the part listed but it was backordered until mid August.

Unfortunately, I cannot verify that the part works because after making the repair, FB26 cracked and sizzled.  It was strange.  After the initial destruction of FB23/24 I could still hook up the usb port and have windows recognize the unit.  After the repair I only plugged in the 12v supply to test it...no sizzle so I thought I might be ok.  However when I plugged the usb cable into the unit(with 12 volt lead simultaneously), FB26, located near the usb port bit the dust.  I quickly unplugged before much damage was done...but there is clearly a crack in FB26 and some soot around the area.

What I cant explain is with the 12 volt plugged in, measuring voltage at the pins on the 12v jack, I get widely varying voltages from 0-12v.  So much so that the fan will only slightly move when the voltage spikes up to 12v and it wont even move a quarter of a turn.  It is possible that the 12v jack is bad or is there something else going on that I do not understand?

Anyone or maybe Wolfey have any ideas about what to try next?

Let us know how your repair goes Wors  Smiley

MOSFET(s) gone probably...

ZiG

Hi Zig...thanks for the helpful response.

I tested my mosfets with info from this thread GridSeed 5-chip USB miner voltage mod.  I believe one of them is shorted.  Have the part ordered... will update here when I get it replaced.

Thanks

Glad to help, buddy...

Good luck...and keep us posted... Grin

ZiG
foz
Activity: 23
Merit: 0
Even one of my volt-modded (R52 47k) 5-chip GridSeeds went dead after mining on 1200MHz.
You can see separated positive lead. I forgot to take picture while it seemed there is burned area 3x3cm.
I didn't have any ISO to clean so I used cheap Etheric Oil to clean the burned area  Cool
After cleaning I was really happy that there are only FB23 & FB24 burned and that I am not the only one left with melted ferrite cores.
Short question if I order 74792121 part from Farnell will it work? What can potentially happen if I brick it Cheesy

I am mining on my developing machine with R9 280x, HD5870 and 5x volt-modded (R52 47k) 5-chip GridSeeds.
All together is powered with Platinum CORSAIR AX860. I don't want to burn my whole machine so what are FB23 & FB24 supposed to do and is there any risk to damage my PSU if i brick them.

http://i61.tinypic.com/2zs17jo.jpg

Hmm that is interesting....I used this part from digikey for FB23/24 http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/742792121/732-4654-1-ND/4310394.  Mouser also had the part listed but it was backordered until mid August.

Unfortunately, I cannot verify that the part works because after making the repair, FB26 cracked and sizzled.  It was strange.  After the initial destruction of FB23/24 I could still hook up the usb port and have windows recognize the unit.  After the repair I only plugged in the 12v supply to test it...no sizzle so I thought I might be ok.  However when I plugged the usb cable into the unit(with 12 volt lead simultaneously), FB26, located near the usb port bit the dust.  I quickly unplugged before much damage was done...but there is clearly a crack in FB26 and some soot around the area.

What I cant explain is with the 12 volt plugged in, measuring voltage at the pins on the 12v jack, I get widely varying voltages from 0-12v.  So much so that the fan will only slightly move when the voltage spikes up to 12v and it wont even move a quarter of a turn.  It is possible that the 12v jack is bad or is there something else going on that I do not understand?

Let us know how your repair goes Wors  Smiley

ZiG

Hi Zig...thanks for the helpful response.

I tested my mosfets with info from this thread GridSeed 5-chip USB miner voltage mod.  I believe one of them is shorted.  Have the part ordered... will update here when I get it replaced.

Thanks
ZiG
I didn't have any ISO to clean so I used cheap Etheric Oil to clean the burned area  Cool

Hmm that is interesting....I used this part from digikey for FB23/24 http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/742792121/732-4654-1-ND/4310394.  Mouser also had the part listed but it was backordered until mid August.

Unfortunately, I cannot verify that the part works because after making the repair, FB26 cracked and sizzled.  It was strange.  After the initial destruction of FB23/24 I could still hook up the usb port and have windows recognize the unit.  After the repair I only plugged in the 12v supply to test it...no sizzle so I thought I might be ok.  However when I plugged the usb cable into the unit(with 12 volt lead simultaneously), FB26, located near the usb port bit the dust.  I quickly unplugged before much damage was done...but there is clearly a crack in FB26 and some soot around the area.

What I cant explain is with the 12 volt plugged in, measuring voltage at the pins on the 12v jack, I get widely varying voltages from 0-12v.  So much so that the fan will only slightly move when the voltage spikes up to 12v and it wont even move a quarter of a turn.  It is possible that the 12v jack is bad or is there something else going on that I do not understand?

ZiG
foz

legendary
Activity: 1270
Merit: 1000
Hehehe, it's more profitable to mine BTC now...who would have thought?

Not taking electricity cost into consideration of course Tongue
Activity: 5

Activity: 378
One of my modded gridseeds quit yesterday. There's no real obvious signs of a short or any damage.
The fan doesn't spin.  When I plug in 12v the fan moves a fraction.  USB seems to work.
If I plug this gridseed into the psu with all the other gridseeds the psu shuts off.

Would a failed mofset mosfet cause symptoms like this?  I ask because there is a very small bump on the top of one of the mofsets mosfets.

Any ideas?
Are there any tests I can do?

Probably went bad because they're mofsets Cheesy

You have a short! If there is a bump on the FET, rest assured, it's TOAST!

Time for a replacement or perhaps just buy another pod...I hear their selling for less than $50 on eBay now.

Or, just wait for Flower to 'FINALLY' release their 10MHs pods and buy them.
The seeds are pretty well all done as of now, no thanks to alt coins halving in value a few times by now..
I mean, mine are making me a whole 25c/day each in DOGE now! WOO HOO!
Actually, I'm mining fresh new coins like VirtaCoin which are paying a lot better, once it gets on the exchanges that is Wink DOGE to the moon? I don't think so...
Woof Woof!
Hi Wolfey :-)

Thanks for your input.

So your running the 49.9 mod at 1163?  Or are you doing the 47k mod now?  I lowered my freq to 1163 on the 49.9 mod and really didn't see any noticeable power usage difference from the 1200 freq

Hey Foz!
Yep, 49.9K and actually some are running 50K 5% as well.
I do see a noticeable difference between the two frequencies.
Of course there would have to be as PWM goes.
But the main difference is in the overall reward for work performed.
I see higher reward per hash at 1163 than at 1200.

If you don't see much difference between the two, I'd set them to the lower frequency if I were you.

I just had one of my 'latest' silver pods take a crap on me. The main FET made magic black smoke the other day. Gee! Thanks a lot chippy! POS!
Anyway, when I get the time, I'll see about replacing it with a good ol' discreet TO-220 type FET.
Maybe one of my left over 45Amp 5V logic gate ones or just a good ol' analog 12V gate type if needs be as I don't know what the gate drive Voltage is yet.
Maybe I'll pull out my gold ol' CRO and have a look at the PWM signal on the gate since I'll have it torn apart anyway..fun fun fun....puhh!
Woof Woof!
foz
Hi Wolfey :-)

Thanks for your input.

So your running the 49.9 mod at 1163?  Or are you doing the 47k mod now?  I lowered my freq to 1163 on the 49.9 mod and really didn't see any noticeable power usage difference from the 1200 freq
Hi all

This has been a great thread...thanks to all who have contributed.  Another data point to add.

I had two of my ferrite beads melt on one of my 49.9k volt modded units while it was running at 1200 mhz.  It had been running for weeks without an issue.  However the failure occurred just after I cycled the power on the unit (RM850 Corsair).

After looking at the damage does anyone think it is worth ordering the two ferrite beads and attempting a repair?

image snip...

The black wire in the bottom of the photo is the neg fan lead...the positive fan lead got hot enough to separate from the board.

Thanks

Hello.
Sorry for your hassles. That's a bummer!
There is really no point in running the 5 chippers at 1200+ MHz! Doing so will not yield any better performance and profit than running it at less than 1170MHz...
I run all of my pods at 1163 as that seems to be the sweet spot for maximum performance.
1200MHz is just a waste of energy and....hardware ;/
If you are running them off of a really clean psu with very low ripple etc. I personally think that simply bypassing the FB's may be okay to do, but I have not tried this myself.
Good luck!
Wolfey2014
foz
Hi all

This has been a great thread...thanks to all who have contributed.  Another data point to add.

I had two of my ferrite beads melt on one of my 49.9k volt modded units while it was running at 1200 mhz.  It had been running for weeks without an issue.  However the failure occurred just after I cycled the power on the unit (RM850 Corsair).

After looking at the damage does anyone think it is worth ordering the two ferrite beads and attempting a repair?

http://i58.tinypic.com/2pshkzq.jpg

The black wire in the bottom of the photo is the neg fan lead...the positive fan lead got hot enough to separate from the board.

Thanks
Activity: 252
Merit: 254
One of my modded gridseeds just smoked this afternoon.  The same 12v mosfet blew that others have had go.  Did some SERIOUS damage to the board too.  The VCC pad is completely gone and it burned out the board down to the 2nd layer of copper.  In order to fix it my gridseed will look like fricken frankenstein.  Trying to figure out if I would be better served to mount the mosfet vertically with a sizeable heatsink on the back or patch up the board and lay it flat again and run a wire from the vcc pin around to the back side of the board or jumper it to another location on the top.  Wire will be required no matter what.
Activity: 140
Merit: 100
Thanks ZiG. 

-----------------------------

Anyone going to undo the vmod 3?  I plugged in 100kh/s (gain), 12 watts (extra watts), 10 cents kw/h (my cost) in coinwarz. 

For LTC:  Revenue $0.04 / Profit $0.01 / $0.03 for electricity

I think I'll just solder the two bridges for vmod1 to undo vmod3 on all my gridseeds when I have time.
ZiG
One of my modded gridseeds quit yesterday. There's no real obvious signs of a short or any damage.
The fan doesn't spin.  When I plug in 12v the fan moves a fraction.  USB seems to work.
If I plug this gridseed into the psu with all the other gridseeds the psu shuts off.

Would a failed mofset cause symptoms like this?  I ask because there is a very small bump on the top of one of the mofsets.

Any ideas?

Probably 12V short by burned MOSFET...check for shorts ...

ZiG
Activity: 140

Would a failed mofset mosfet cause symptoms like this?  I ask because there is a very small bump on the top of one of the mofsets mosfets.

Any ideas?
Activity: 31
Ha!!  Common fault. Genius ... many thanks

Damn! I think I am stuck.. I figured this is just a suppressor across the ground for the USB, so soldered a bridge over it to re-make the connection but the gridseed is still dead with no lights and no USB device detection.

Any ideas? If this is a common fault has anyone fixed it successfully?

How do you guys look up the component values? Can anyone give me the value of this resistor?

I don't even know if it is R66 or R106. Seems to have blown out on my overclocked gridseed, but not sure if it has anything to do with the overclocking or just random.

Have a look to this post! https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.6556103
Activity: 155
How do you guys look up the component values? Can anyone give me the value of this resistor?

I don't even know if it is R66 or R106. Seems to have blown out on my overclocked gridseed, but not sure if it has anything to do with the overclocking or just random.

Have a look to this post! https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.6556103
Activity: 38

--image snipped--

I think that component is actually FB26, and R66 and R106 are the two empty spots for resistors immediately to its left in your pic.
Activity: 31

http://i61.tinypic.com/2ch9652.jpg
So, the ultimate mod is replace the resistor and soldering a 49.9K without the two solder like the image below?  
Image went "POOF!"

Correct!
Do the 49.9K resistor mod 'ONLY'. It is all you need.... R139 or what ever it's being called these days Wink
You may use 50K 5% tolerance also..it will be fine.

I'd caution you on trying to run your pods at maximum clock. I'm running mine at 1163 and have been for weeks now. It is THE sweet spot for all 49.9k modded pods IMO! Wink
Highest percentage of Accepts / Valid Shares and nearly ZERO HW errors are being had at this setting.

Good luck!

Wolfey2014
Pages:
Jump to: