Pages:
Author

Topic: GridSeed 5-chip USB miner voltage mod - page 59. (Read 156988 times)

Activity: 18
Merit: 0
April 06, 2014, 01:05:48 PM
Does anyone know a Raspberry Pi Image supporting frequencies of 1000+?

Currently I run Hashra Controla, which lets me select core frequency up to 900. Sure,
I can ssh and just download&compile a suitable version of cgminer, but maybe it's not necessary
to reinvent the wheel..
A bit OT here.. but..The latest Controla interface support frequencies up to 1300 MHz. Just use Controla update link.
Activity: 84
Merit: 10
April 06, 2014, 12:26:10 PM
I bought these.

Yageo 47.5K ohm 100ppm SMD (Surface Mount) Thick Film Resistor 0402 1% 1/16W RC0402F (Continuous strip of 500)

I have modded 3 GS's so far and they are running fine at 1150Mhz for 4 hours.

I need to get a better magnifying glass to do the rest of these.  It's like soldering a grain of sand.  Are these OK to use?  Is 1/16 ok?

Good work sir! Smiley

The resistor will work fine.

@Amix:
The idea behind the 47kOhm 1 % resistors was that we wanted to have same results for all of our modded units.
With 47kOhm 5% resistors we had the problems with bad units not operating good at 1150mhz. Due to high variance in ashresistors base resistor value.

yeah i see your point and agree with you. i checked mine before hand to check the variance on them.  .2 so it was in line wiht a 1% resistor anyway. but yes as a control 1% is better. 1% is better full stop i was just saying 5% will do as long as your aware of the variance and its potentail for impact - better or worse.
Instead of usig a solidering iron i highly suggest getting access to a hot air station. i soldered smd before but never this small.
Hats off to ANYONE soldering these, thats serious skill. im using my hot air station on them Smiley
May i ask what's the safe temperature setting when soldering these using hot air station? I plan to use hot air station as well but i'm not so experienced on this stuff yet..

You wanna use Kapton tape to cover the SMT units and just leave the exposed area. Kapton tape it's a heat resistant tape, so its perfect for hot air solder. Use experiment on a dummy board before using it on your GDS units.

Tape?! Blown Away?!!! Hot powerfull a rework kit do you have? industrial?. Mine never even twitched at blower set to just under half power. the heat was set at about 200 c. i had the preheater plate on underneath so probably didnt need to be as high as 200. apply the flux will stick it in place, wiht some solder paste if you have it.
The temputure you use will vary, depending on the size of the nozel your using, how far from the smd the hot air blower is, the force of the air, these can all affect the temperture reaching the smd. I couldve connected up my temperture probe to check the surface temputre of the smd, but i had the soldering iron connected up so didnt - inconvience that its one or other (temperture probe or soldering iron. yes just been a bit lazy. next time ill stick the probe on to check the surface temperture when it goes.

got a few more to do but i not had time what wiht work and home.

Activity: 339
Merit: 250
Vice versa is not a meal.
April 06, 2014, 07:58:53 AM
@ZiG

You mean something like this? :

Thanks for posting this, it was really helpful.
Fuse is definitely able to take the extra amount of amperes without breaking Smiley.
(Only soldering it there can be a pain in the ass, because its so tiny compared to the cable.)

Thanks a lot for this smart and simple solution.
Activity: 339
Vice versa is not a meal.
April 06, 2014, 07:56:47 AM
I bought these.

Yageo 47.5K ohm 100ppm SMD (Surface Mount) Thick Film Resistor 0402 1% 1/16W RC0402F (Continuous strip of 500)

I need to get a better magnifying glass to do the rest of these.  It's like soldering a grain of sand.  Are these OK to use?  Is 1/16 ok?

Good work sir! Smiley

The resistor will work fine.

@Amix:
The idea behind the 47kOhm 1 % resistors was that we wanted to have same results for all of our modded units.
With 47kOhm 5% resistors we had the problems with bad units not operating good at 1150mhz. Due to high variance in ashresistors base resistor value.
legendary
Activity: 1022
Merit: 1004
April 06, 2014, 06:01:17 AM
Does anyone know a Raspberry Pi Image supporting frequencies of 1000+?

Currently I run Hashra Controla, which lets me select core frequency up to 900. Sure,
I can ssh and just download&compile a suitable version of cgminer, but maybe it's not necessary
to reinvent the wheel..
Activity: 423
April 05, 2014, 06:09:13 PM
Instead of usig a solidering iron i highly suggest getting access to a hot air station. i soldered smd before but never this small.
Hats off to ANYONE soldering these, thats serious skill. im using my hot air station on them Smiley
May i ask what's the safe temperature setting when soldering these using hot air station? I plan to use hot air station as well but i'm not so experienced on this stuff yet..

You wanna use Kapton tape to cover the SMT units and just leave the exposed area. Kapton tape it's a heat resistant tape, so its perfect for hot air solder. Use experiment on a dummy board before using it on your GDS units.
Activity: 308
April 05, 2014, 05:25:16 PM

I saw someone saying above that he used the lowest setting on his hot air station, and that it still blew some other parts almost off
Activity: 18
Merit: 0
April 05, 2014, 04:39:39 PM

legendary
Activity: 1722
Merit: 1000
Satoshi is rolling in his grave. #bitcoin
April 05, 2014, 11:07:00 AM
I bought these.

think youll find that on SMD resistors its more the series that dicates the wattage. In this case 0402 is the correct series. 1% is great to. Should be ok.

steady hand my friend, thats all it takes... Smiley  but i would love to see live video of someone whos new at soldering doing this, i would laugh so hard Tongue
Activity: 423
April 05, 2014, 01:54:35 AM
I bought these.

think youll find that on SMD resistors its more the series that dicates the wattage. In this case 0402 is the correct series. 1% is great to. Should be ok.

Just watch out not to blow any SMD away. I use kapton tape but sometimes I see that a few caps/resistors blew off (Even at speed 1 on my rework station :S).

Also, I got a few 49.9k Resistors like Wolfey did ("His mod", or whoever found it). I'll post updates on Monday (That's when I get them)
April 05, 2014, 12:59:28 AM
I bought these.

donator
Activity: 1057
Merit: 1021
April 04, 2014, 08:57:48 PM
I bought these.

April 04, 2014, 05:50:25 PM
Is that heat-paste really that important? I mean, in BTC-mode they dissipate 8x the heat, so the stock cooling solution
should be sufficient (if the fan is not completely disabled..)

Absolutely not necessary! Paste nut!
Stock solution is just fine with the screws torqued down correctly.
My miners don't need paste and I doubt anyone else's does, either.
thevstock is crap has limited thermal propeties and is inefficient. not to mention the fan set up is totally ineffiecient blowing air on that heat sink so close. total waste of air and energy. do yourself and your grid a favor either replace the fan wiht a better more effiecent (and quiter one) , apply some thermal paste, or replace the thermal pads wiht better quality ones. if you really want to maximise the fan efficeny turn it around, so it sucks the air out.
While stock may seem fine these grid are still new and well lets see how many chips have burnt out that are overclocked in say 3 months time. anyone every had one of the avalon boards and ended up wiht a few dead chips - ok scrypt isnt as intensive so the heat generated isnt the same but still, a cooler chip - all chips partical the voltage regs - will perform BETTER and longer FACT. so feel free to improve the stock.

And if stock was fine this thread wouldnt even exist as we wouldnt be overclocking them in the first place we would be using the stock rate they are shipped with.

Actually dont overclock them or perfrom any mods :-  IF IT AINT BROKE DONT FIX IT LOL Grin Grin Grin

Now all you have to do is, prove your goop and sandwich mod actually makes any frikkin difference!
Pictures help.
But unless your pods are running SHA or SHA/Scrypt mode, this mod is completely without merrit and the author is just trying to be right about wasting keystrokes and peoples reading time! LOL! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!
TEE HEE HEE HEE HEE!

dont have to prove nowt. im happy wiht it. stated the facts about it, as was already stated few pages back. they can make up there own mind weather its worth it or not. considering itll take many hours hunderds of overclock run time, before you really see if it was worth it ie not killed a chip pictures are useless.if you want to know how to apply thermal paste or pads, check the manfuture web site sure it can help you on applying it.
oh seesh chill out man thoguht we was meant o be offering advice and want not, noty ripping everyone ides up cause you dont agree with them.
- and many i believe dont agree with using 1/8 resistors instead of the smd/smt resistors - but wantever works for you. old dogs and new tricks Cheesy Cheesy
 replace the stock fans, and or thermal pads isnt a bad idea. will it benfit yes i believe so will it benfit the overclocking and result in higher hash rate probably not, can it help them to be more stable and not result in hardware errors, yes maybe.  i seen how bad my gridseed chips where placed i reworked them and applied theraml paste afterwards to be on safe side - still not right get hardware errors EVEN at stock frequency.

Choice is yours use the info make your choice.

Oh flipping the fan had benfitted so much it really helps to cool my overclocked antminers Smiley

And one last important point to note. Whenever you remove a thermal pad its HIGHLY recommended that you clean the surface area and APPLY NEW FRESH thermal pad /or grease. VERY good practice
April 04, 2014, 04:56:30 PM
Is that heat-paste really that important? I mean, in BTC-mode they dissipate 8x the heat, so the stock cooling solution

thevstock is crap has limited thermal propeties and is inefficient. not to mention the fan set up is totally ineffiecient blowing air on that heat sink so close. total waste of air and energy. do yourself and your grid a favor either replace the fan wiht a better more effiecent (and quiter one) , apply some thermal paste, or replace the thermal pads wiht better quality ones. if you really want to maximise the fan efficeny turn it around, so it sucks the air out.
While stock may seem fine these grid are still new and well lets see how many chips have burnt out that are overclocked in say 3 months time. anyone every had one of the avalon boards and ended up wiht a few dead chips - ok scrypt isnt as intensive so the heat generated isnt the same but still, a cooler chip - all chips partical the voltage regs - will perform BETTER and longer FACT. so feel free to improve the stock.

And if stock was fine this thread wouldnt even exist as we wouldnt be overclocking them in the first place we would be using the stock rate they are shipped with.

Actually dont overclock them or perfrom any mods :-  IF IT AINT BROKE DONT FIX IT LOL Grin Grin Grin
Activity: 378
April 04, 2014, 04:19:48 PM

legendary
Activity: 1022
Merit: 1004
April 04, 2014, 04:16:18 PM
Activity: 224
Merit: 100
April 04, 2014, 04:12:54 PM
wolfey , thanks for that pic of your mod, you actualy helped, coz i was unsure of other connection points for that yaba-daba r52, and place where resistor was, i .. well.. messed up one conn. point Smiley
in the end, managed to set everything straight, 1150 mhz seams the best for me (47kohm).

but guys, srsly, if u are not hand in hand with electronics, and dont have a realy realy steady hand, better give someone to do it for you, i mean this is insanely small smd, its just hard without the right equipment.

and fast question, do your pods get warm fast after the mod? much more than i expected.

Well, you triple the amount of power going in, you're dissipating 3x as much heat. Make sure you use some kind of non-conductive paste on your chips as well as have some kind of active cooling.
Activity: 378
April 04, 2014, 03:28:29 PM
wolfey , thanks for that pic of your mod, you actualy helped, coz i was unsure of other connection points for that yaba-daba r52, and place where resistor was, i .. well.. messed up one conn. point Smiley
in the end, managed to set everything straight, 1150 mhz seams the best for me (47kohm).

but guys, srsly, if u are not hand in hand with electronics, and dont have a realy realy steady hand, better give someone to do it for you, i mean this is insanely small smd, its just hard without the right equipment.

and fast question, do your pods get warm fast after the mod? much more than i expected.

Thank you very much!
You are very welcome! Indeed!
Happy to help!
Yes, I'm finding mine are optimum at 1125 to 1200...gotta watch the stats to measure and adjust them all to their individual optimal frequencies / hash rates.
My pods didn't get over 85*F to just over room temp of around 98*F at any time with fans running in ultra quiet mode.
The mod rocks!
Wolfey2014  Tongue
legendary
Activity: 1722
Merit: 1000
Satoshi is rolling in his grave. #bitcoin
April 04, 2014, 01:18:38 PM

Activity: 71
April 04, 2014, 12:58:11 PM
i read somewhere in this post my answer but cant find it anymore, so decide to ask ye....

how much power(amp or watt) GS take from usb at 5v without fan? and i just want to double check doing voltage mode don't increase the amp in 5v, its take from 12 volt.

thanks in advance.
Pages:
Jump to: