Pages:
Author

Topic: GridSeed 5-chip USB miner voltage mod - page 62. (Read 156988 times)

Activity: 86
Merit: 10
April 01, 2014, 07:37:34 PM
Guys would this switch work ok for the fan?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/SODIAL-250V-SPST-Rocker-Switch/dp/B00F4MG7HY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1396395230&sr=8-2&keywords=switch+on+off

i.e. so I can turn the noisy b*stard fan on & off at will. Thanks in advance..
Activity: 378
Merit: 250
April 01, 2014, 06:29:58 PM

47kOhm 1% gives you stable 1100mhz to 1150mhz range 21,5 W Powerdraw including PSU
52kOhm 1% gives you stable 1200mhz 31W including PSU
56kOhm 1% gives you stable 1250mhz 44W including PSU

86kOhm 1% draw way to much and did turn off the device instantly (onboard powersupply is not rated for > 60W) we assumed it to take around 80W.
If you are funny you can try to use an 64kOhms resistor and you will probably get the highest possible frequency of 1300mhz.

At 56kOhm that would give a hash rate of around ~530Kh/s.

Also, 2 weeks ago while modding one of my gridseeds, I got real lazy and removed a SMD component from the device (By mistake). The damn resistor is soo small. Either way, I got it back together but it seems to have a solder bridge underneath it. Its been running fine since (I'm scared if I touch it more, I'll lose the SMD component)
Does any one knows the value of that resistor? Also, can I leave the solder bridge?
Here is a pic:

Thanks!

R330 is 1K ohm
Solder bridge will simply defeat (short) it out but if you're not getting negative results...like they say, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it!" Wink

One other thing.
In my opinion, there is absolutely no difference other than the size and consequent ease of installation, than an SMD chip. A standard axial 1/8W or up to 1/4W 1% resistor will work just fine. It will still fit and solder easily to the existing pads if you are good at solering. 5% may allow too much drift, possibly defeating the purpose of the mod. So beware!
April 01, 2014, 06:19:50 PM
u
As we are currently doing a clearance sale(care this is advertising), we will make our version of the mod public domain.

Is your mod any different from the one in the first post?

Here is the mod I believe to be the simplest of them all thus far.
I found this after a bit of investigation and I have also just confirmed that it's the mod that nemercry has been talking about, testing and providing pics of for days.
I have not tried this mod yet but I intend to do so asap.

A regular 1/8W to 1/4W 1% to 5% axial resistor will work too. Try to shoot for 1% tolerance though.
And as usual, try it at your own risk and expense.
If you'd like me to make the mod for you, let me know via PM. I am located in the EUS.

And there you go wolfey.
Yep that is actually the mod how we are doing it.

That's the way you do it, nemecry. Now look what's happened.... Wink
Still plenty of money, if not more than before, to be made, now. Wink
Economy grows, miners prosper, Crypto Mining industry prospers! Wink
Lots growth for the entire crypto ecosystem, IMHO.
You dah man!
Activity: 423
April 01, 2014, 05:54:09 PM

i measured 1kOhm for it. Can someony verify this please?

Thanks nemercry!

Also, which resistor would you recommend? I'm going to buy a few 56k %1 resistors, unless you state otherwise.
Activity: 308
April 01, 2014, 05:15:09 PM
I think this has been stated before.

You need to cancel previous mods
legendary
Activity: 1400
Merit: 1000
I owe my soul to the Bitcoin code...
April 01, 2014, 05:12:24 PM
As wolfey just found my imgur repository, there it is:
Thats the mod we are using.

Yep, that is where all the magic happens.
Be sure to use a 1% tolerance, to get the best results.
And please use SMD ones Wink

Can this be done over the previous mods or does the devcie need to be set back to 'default' before starting?
Activity: 339
Vice versa is not a meal.
April 01, 2014, 04:50:23 PM

47kOhm 1% gives you stable 1100mhz to 1150mhz range 21,5 W Powerdraw including PSU

86kOhm 1% draw way to much and did turn off the device instantly (onboard powersupply is not rated for > 60W) we assumed it to take around 80W.
If you are funny you can try to use an 64kOhms resistor and you will probably get the highest possible frequency of 1300mhz.

Also, 2 weeks ago while modding one of my gridseeds, I got real lazy and removed a SMD component from the device (By mistake). The damn resistor is soo small. Either way, I got it back together but it seems to have a solder bridge underneath it. Its been running fine since (I'm scared if I touch it more, I'll lose the SMD component)
Does any one knows the value of that resistor? Also, can I leave the solder bridge?
Here is a pic:

Thanks!

i measured 1kOhm for it. Can someony verify this please?
Activity: 423
April 01, 2014, 04:33:17 PM

Here is a pic:

Thanks!
ZiG
Activity: 406
April 01, 2014, 04:26:38 PM
As we are currently doing a clearance sale(care this is advertising), we will make our version of the mod public domain.

I found this after a bit of investigation and I have also just confirmed that it's the mod that nemercry has been talking about, testing and providing pics of for days.

A regular 1/8W to 1/4W 1% to 5% axial resistor will work too. Try to shoot for 1% tolerance though.
If you'd like me to make the mod for you, let me know via PM. I am located in the EUS.

And there you go wolfey.

Awesome!  Why is this way better than the others, and how fast have you gotten with this mod?

SUPER...!...Excellent job, guys...Appreciate all your time and effort to experiment and share your findings...

What is the chip's voltage supply DVDD at these values of "R52"...?
And where...which point on the board do you measure that voltage...?
April 01, 2014, 03:12:51 PM

And there you go wolfey.

Awesome!  Why is this way better than the others, and how fast have you gotten with this mod?

April 01, 2014, 02:58:13 PM
As wolfey just found my imgur repository, there it is:
Thats the mod we are using.

Yep, that is where all the magic happens.
Be sure to use a 1% tolerance, to get the best results.
And please use SMD ones Wink

April 01, 2014, 02:55:55 PM

And there you go wolfey.
Activity: 86
Merit: 10
April 01, 2014, 02:28:10 PM
FWIW, I recently switched from 850mhz to 875mhz on my vanilla Gridseed unit... and I'm actually getting less HW errors reported in cgminer. Update: actually its about the same if not more, although for the first 12 hours or so there were no HW errors at all.
April 01, 2014, 12:13:44 PM

April 01, 2014, 11:49:41 AM
The mods I made to one of my pods using a slightly modified version of Sandor's idea on page 6 are still working and stable at 1000MHz.
No pencil mod. No PLL voltage adjustment. It has been left at the factory setting of 1.091V
The change I made was to change out C34 from 10nf to 100nf. This also yields virtually no HW errors at 1000MHz.
The other 3 mods, resistor change out to 38k 5% from 36k and the two jumpers on page 14 are still in place.
I haven't heard of anyone bricking their pod 'yet' by adjusting PLL voltage or core voltage either, for that matter and they have been set all over the place + and -! Hopefully no one will, either!
Still, so far, so good.
I am very curious and excited to see what mods nemercry has come up with to achieve the results he has been talking about.

Are you sure about C34? I have spotted it on your board picture and it seems to me that it's empty.

Sorry for the error.
You are right. It is C36, not C34. Blurry images don't help much.
Thanks for picking up on that.
But I'm working on another mod idea now so......more later, if/when.

OK, I have 5 miners to mod, but have to wait until the weekend.

If you are not sure about your mod, I'll start with the two bridges and the fan!

Oh, I am sure about my current mod. It's been working fine for over a week now.
But there may be a simpler and better way to get higher stable clock / hash rates.
I'm looking into it now. I'll keep you posted.
I'm still doing mods for anyone who cannot do it themselves. PM me for details. I'm located in EUS.
April 01, 2014, 11:45:19 AM

Depends on where you draw the line. In the end there is only one way to modify the voltages(e.g. what we all call modding). But there are different ways to reach this.
I personally think it is the most time efficient modification you can do.
April 01, 2014, 11:41:20 AM

It will be posted wednesday 02.04.2014, including a picture of the details.
legendary
Activity: 2044
Merit: 1055
April 01, 2014, 11:37:06 AM
The mods I made to one of my pods using a slightly modified version of Sandor's idea on page 6 are still working and stable at 1000MHz.
No pencil mod. No PLL voltage adjustment. It has been left at the factory setting of 1.091V
The change I made was to change out C34 from 10nf to 100nf. This also yields virtually no HW errors at 1000MHz.
The other 3 mods, resistor change out to 38k 5% from 36k and the two jumpers on page 14 are still in place.
I haven't heard of anyone bricking their pod 'yet' by adjusting PLL voltage or core voltage either, for that matter and they have been set all over the place + and -! Hopefully no one will, either!
Still, so far, so good.
I am very curious and excited to see what mods nemercry has come up with to achieve the results he has been talking about.

Are you sure about C34? I have spotted it on your board picture and it seems to me that it's empty.

Sorry for the error.

OK, I have 5 miners to mod, but have to wait until the weekend.

If you are not sure about your mod, I'll start with the two bridges and the fan!
April 01, 2014, 11:27:58 AM
Still, so far, so good.

Sorry for the error.
legendary
Activity: 2044
Merit: 1055
April 01, 2014, 11:06:55 AM
I have a treat for all of you. I compiled for Windows girnyau's gridseed fork of cgminer that includes the fine-grain freq settings and freq-per-device settings.

Find it here: http://1drv.ms/1kKPsP2

Please excuse the hasty readme file, I wanted to share ASAP.

(Typical "be careful, unverified binary here" warning. Virus scan it if you want, I know it's clean.)

Feel free to donate to: 1AvazUbrKwY8wuxNMGFtt5KqGW8WXdx4JB

Cheers and enjoy.

Thanks, I have donated a little to you.

Keep up the good work!
Pages:
Jump to: