Pages:
Author

Topic: GridSeed 5-chip USB miner voltage mod - page 82. (Read 156988 times)

Activity: 308
Merit: 250
March 19, 2014, 07:46:09 PM
so has anyone gotten past the glitchy cgminer issue where you have to unplug the miners, start cgminer, plug the miners back in and hope it finds them?

I also noticed that when I had my 20 miners controlled by cgminer my pools hash rate was in the 4800khs area while cgminer reported over 7000khs. Now that they are all running in their own instance of cpuminer I average well over 6500khs and sometimes close to 7500khs at my pool.

Does bfgminer work with these things yet?

vabchgent that answered my post above is using bfg and recommended bfg to me so I assume it does

http://cryptomining-blog.com/1396-download-bfgminer-3-10-0-for-windows-scrypt-mining-on-gridseed-5-chip-asics

You can get down to 800 MHz if you are getting more HW errors, or try to get up to 900 MHz if you get no HW errors to see if you can get 380 KHS stable.

Can I got to 950? Or is 900 the limit?

Thanks!

950 yes, with the bridge mod
Activity: 440
March 19, 2014, 07:42:36 PM
for those of you that are using bfg... does your hashing speed roughly equal what your pool says?
Activity: 423
March 19, 2014, 07:38:08 PM
so has anyone gotten past the glitchy cgminer issue where you have to unplug the miners, start cgminer, plug the miners back in and hope it finds them?

I also noticed that when I had my 20 miners controlled by cgminer my pools hash rate was in the 4800khs area while cgminer reported over 7000khs. Now that they are all running in their own instance of cpuminer I average well over 6500khs and sometimes close to 7500khs at my pool.

vabchgent that answered my post above is using bfg and recommended bfg to me so I assume it does

http://cryptomining-blog.com/1396-download-bfgminer-3-10-0-for-windows-scrypt-mining-on-gridseed-5-chip-asics

You can get down to 800 MHz if you are getting more HW errors, or try to get up to 900 MHz if you get no HW errors to see if you can get 380 KHS stable.

Can I got to 950? Or is 900 the limit?

Thanks!
March 19, 2014, 07:32:36 PM

March 19, 2014, 07:20:54 PM

donator
Activity: 686
Merit: 519
It's for the children!
March 19, 2014, 06:54:54 PM
Thanks for that

Activity: 840
Merit: 251
March 19, 2014, 06:20:23 PM
So if you can solder the risks are very minimal considering you can unsolder the bridge if you need to.  I am running my test seed at the moment with BFGMiner, There should be no problems doing this mod with that right?

So I'm getting one of these babies in pretty soon, what's the best miner soft to use.

I've seen on crypto blog that with BFG you don't need to replace any driver just plug in and mine,

can you confirm that?

so many here seem to prefer cpuminer but being able to use cgwatcher seems appealing!

I have used cpuminer-cgminer-BFGminer. I have been using Bfgminer for a week with no problems. It is plug and play. The only problem I had with it is it found one extra one thats not there. But will be tonight. if it finds a extra just disable it problem solved. 

Thanks for that, so windows just finds the adequate drivers? or install the drivers that come with the Gridseed first?

If you go to device manager and find st drivers under anywhere but the comports then you will need to do a look up for the ST drivers on the internet and reinstall them. The idea it to get them to install as com ports and not as usb devices. 
March 19, 2014, 05:23:53 PM
So if you can solder the risks are very minimal considering you can unsolder the bridge if you need to.  I am running my test seed at the moment with BFGMiner, There should be no problems doing this mod with that right?

So I'm getting one of these babies in pretty soon, what's the best miner soft to use.

I've seen on crypto blog that with BFG you don't need to replace any driver just plug in and mine,

can you confirm that?

so many here seem to prefer cpuminer but being able to use cgwatcher seems appealing!

I have used cpuminer-cgminer-BFGminer. I have been using Bfgminer for a week with no problems. It is plug and play. The only problem I had with it is it found one extra one thats not there. But will be tonight. if it finds a extra just disable it problem solved. 

Thanks for that, so windows just finds the adequate drivers? or install the drivers that come with the Gridseed first?
March 19, 2014, 03:34:44 PM
Anyone near Dallas that wants to try this out but not sure about your soldering skills PM me. I've been in the electronics industries for over 30 years so this is a piece of cake....

I'll do it for nothing.
Activity: 84
Merit: 10
March 19, 2014, 03:24:24 PM
There are SMD jumpers available however I'm not sure how small jumper we would need. One test miner should be with me by thursday. I can't wait to test it out Smiley

series 0403.
according to the parts list i got hold of.

March 19, 2014, 02:33:38 PM
from the gridseed gc3355 datasheet :

CLUS_ADDR=0xE
REG ADDR
(8 bits)

0x0

[30]pll_BS
0 PLL Band Select
1: High band, 500MHz<=Fvco<=1GHz
0: Low band, 300MHz<=Fvco<=600MHz

the default is 0 so it might requirw a software mod to modify the reg addr to the higher band? or is it already enabled? thought of this as i recall the the PLL voltage being modifed somewhere.. stab in dark maybe.........
March 19, 2014, 01:30:14 PM
I performed the mod last night and i've ran it for 10 hours now...

It seems that YES it has no hardware errors running at a higher frequency, but the shares submitted noted on cgminer is significantly less then my other miners that are running on 850. They are running on the same instance/window if your wondering..

Anyone experiencing the same thing?

Danny

exactly  i get the same only i have no hardware mod - see my previous post. higher frequency generates a higher 5s hash rate and avg hash rate but an overall submitted to the pool hash rate is lower. NOTE say again i have no solder mod on mine - just improved cooling.

Activity: 672
Merit: 500
March 19, 2014, 12:11:42 PM
I performed the mod last night and i've ran it for 10 hours now...

It seems that YES it has no hardware errors running at a higher frequency, but the shares submitted noted on cgminer is significantly less then my other miners that are running on 850. They are running on the same instance/window if your wondering..

Anyone experiencing the same thing?

Danny
Activity: 840
Merit: 251
March 19, 2014, 11:19:33 AM

can you confirm that?

Activity: 378
March 19, 2014, 10:33:53 AM
Seems like these GC3355 have no problems taking 1.4v, which is .2v over the maximum rated voltage. Grin

Hey, and what is your OC setting?
What are the resulting hash rates?
What value resistors did you use and where?
Tahks!
Wolfey2014
Activity: 378
March 19, 2014, 10:29:10 AM
If any of you soldering experts out there would like to make a couple of extra $ and you live in the NYC/NJ metro area, please PM me.  I'd be willing to pay for your time/expertise to hardware mod 1 or more of my miners.

Let me know if you want to ship them to Maryland.
I can do the solder bridges easily on all of them for you.
$25 each - including solder Wink
Wolfey2014
March 19, 2014, 10:25:55 AM
Activity: 616
Merit: 500
March 19, 2014, 10:06:32 AM
Seems like these GC3355 have no problems taking 1.4v, which is .2v over the maximum rated voltage. Grin
Activity: 376
March 19, 2014, 09:27:06 AM
If any of you soldering experts out there would like to make a couple of extra $ and you live in the NYC/NJ metro area, please PM me.  I'd be willing to pay for your time/expertise to hardware mod 1 or more of my miners.
Activity: 27
Merit: 0
March 19, 2014, 09:07:34 AM
Yeah you are absolutely right. Pencil trick just makes things worse. Even with 850mhz and voltage=1 now I get a lot of HW errors. Time to break out the eraser!

Edit: Erased and back to normal. Zero HW errors @ 850mhz. Damn - now to find someone who can solder a bridge that tiny.

It was really annoying to do. What I did was get a gob onto the general bridge area, and then ran the solder tip (I have a fairly fine tip) along both sides of the bridge to collect any stray solder.

EDIT: Going to try using this to solder the bridge: http://www.ebay.com/itm/151169919397

How did this paste work out for you?
Pages:
Jump to: