Pages:
Author

Topic: [GUIDE] BitFury Miner Support/Tuning - page 27. (Read 148018 times)

KNK
Activity: 692
Merit: 502
October 10, 2013, 01:30:54 PM
Has anyone tested my fork? Does it work with all chips?
The problem is i am not sure how are the banks connected and is '#define BITFURY_BANKCHIPS 16' OK or it should be '#define BITFURY_BANKCHIPS 64'
I need to have a working version before i can add some additional options without braking backward compatibility. Hint: channels A-F instead of A-D on single RPi
Activity: 910
Merit: 1000
Items flashing here available at btctrinkets.com
October 10, 2013, 12:51:42 PM

Still some manual work to be done so that autotune can be turned indefinetly off, but Im fairly certain there is not much more to come out of these.
[edit] Oh and thats a stable and constant hashrate. ...and before someone asks, each board is pencil modded individually with trial and error method. Rev. 1 boards as low as 1.15k and rev. 2 at as low as 1.6k.
Activity: 574
Merit: 501
October 10, 2013, 11:16:00 AM
That's very good info.  Thanks...
KNK
October 10, 2013, 11:07:17 AM
Mining should not need to access the SD card at all. I don't have the image, but is the swap disabled? There is no need of swap with revision 2 available memory.
Another reason could be that chainminer is storing data to often in it's logs on the file system. Not sure which logs are important and how big they get, but turning some of them off or storing all on a small ramdisk, may solve the dead SD problems.

If you can tell me what and how to check it I can. I am just a Linux n00b a bit.
Came to work.., rebooted Pi, it came up with no errors.
I do have a power switch that I can make Pi power cycle remotely by pinging it periodically.
Help@!, lol.
type free on the command prompt - if swap is used you will see it as the last line returned.
'dphys-swapfile swapoff' to turn it off and 'dphys-swapfile uninstall' to disable it

EDIT: to disable the service on startup use:
sudo update-rc.d -f dphys-swapfile remove
Activity: 420
Merit: 250
October 10, 2013, 10:21:40 AM
well, looks like my mining is dead with  ext4-fs errors again
will be down for another 7 hours until i can get to work and reload the sd card.. again.
ugh!

try to use sd boot up and usb flash drive for store FS.

ps: I am going to get usb 8GB flash drive  to do it.  I got second time and waste few hrs too.
Activity: 826
Merit: 500
Crypto Investor ;) @ Farmed Account Hunter
October 10, 2013, 07:02:09 AM
Mining should not need to access the SD card at all. I don't have the image, but is the swap disabled? There is no need of swap with revision 2 available memory.
Another reason could be that chainminer is storing data to often in it's logs on the file system. Not sure which logs are important and how big they get, but turning some of them off or storing all on a small ramdisk, may solve the dead SD problems.

If you can tell me what and how to check it I can. I am just a Linux n00b a bit.
I do have a power switch that I can make Pi power cycle remotely by pinging it periodically.
Help@!, lol.

Anybody got any tips for network accessible power switches (EU available) for remotely power cycling the pi, as this sounds like it's worth while?

We use http://www.digital-loggers.com/dli.products.html
They are a very nice and saved me more then once.. lol just not last night..  for some reason the port the Pi was on was not set to be accessed remotely.
Fairly reasonable if you have multiple devices.
Activity: 493
Hooray for non-equilibrium thermodynamics!
October 10, 2013, 06:57:32 AM

Help@!, lol.

Anybody got any tips for network accessible power switches (EU available) for remotely power cycling the pi, as this sounds like it's worth while?
October 10, 2013, 06:30:38 AM

Help@!, lol.
KNK
October 10, 2013, 02:52:08 AM
October 09, 2013, 11:05:54 PM
well, looks like my mining is dead with  ext4-fs errors again
will be down for another 7 hours until i can get to work and reload the sd card.. again.
ugh!
KNK
October 09, 2013, 05:10:35 PM
Mining Software Repositories: (use with caution, work in progress!)
Also note, that I don't have a BSFB board, so it may not work at all!
I am aiming at having a single version to support all/most hardware mutations - for now it should support Metabank (MUX_OE) and NeedBMW (undefined MUX_OE and single bank) boards
Activity: 434
Merit: 265
October 09, 2013, 04:38:58 PM
- added

Mining Software Repositories: (use with caution, work in progress!)
- CGMiner by KNK
Anyone willing to help testing a cgminer fork changes with a full kit or at least one board in each bus (A-D)?

In sync with the latest Legkodymov's miner. For BFSB master boards you should leave BITFURY_MUX_OE undefined in bitfury-config.h and change:
Code:
#define BITFURY_MAXCHIPS 100
#define BITFURY_MAXBANKS 1
#define BITFURY_BANKCHIPS 100
to
Code:
#define BITFURY_MAXCHIPS 256
#define BITFURY_MAXBANKS 4
#define BITFURY_BANKCHIPS 16

By default the GPIO pins are defined (in tm_i2c.c) for BFSB boards, so no need to change anything there
October 09, 2013, 04:36:03 PM
No offence taken.   The thing on the bottom is just a space heater Smiley   This IS a Bitfury thread after all.....

Been in the business long enough to know that a few of anything new are going to have problems.  Once got back 100 boards from an assembly house and discovered - the hard way - that they'd installed all the tantulum caps with the wrong polarity.  Luckily we tested the boards for long enough to catch the problem - it took 3 or 4 minutes before they blew, and it sounded like a string of big firecrackers going off when they did.

Talk about magic smoke - it was so thick you could hardly see in the shop - and it sounded like a running gun battle was taking place - when the first batch of 20 boards on the test beds blew almost all the caps on all the boards, all within seconds of each other.  There were bits of the epoxy coatings flying everywhere...

Then there's always the trick of installing a voltage regulator backwards so that the top of the chip blows clean off when you apply power....
Activity: 259
Dig your freedom
October 09, 2013, 04:32:54 PM
I imagined Redacted post with a photo of Jupiter from which smoke rises and signature "Something went terribly wrong"
October 09, 2013, 04:16:16 PM
No, and it's put out a solid 580-600 Gh/s over the last 12 hours.  Guess mine wasn't one of the .001% that had bad caps.  At least it hasn't burned up any Rasperry PI's like one of my m-boards did.  That DID go up in smoke and burn...  

But - ignore that thing on the bottom, it's just an, umm, 800 watt ceramic space heater I use to keep my apartment warm....

Sorry -Redacted-, just a joke, no offence meant. It looks like good kit, whatever it is.
Dig your freedom
October 09, 2013, 02:55:36 PM
No, and it's put out a solid 580-600 Gh/s over the last 12 hours.  Guess mine wasn't one of the .001% that had bad caps.  At least it hasn't burned any Rasperry PI's like one of my m-boards did.  That DID go up in smoke and burn.... 

But - ignore that thing on the bottom, it's just a, umm, ceramic heater I use to keep my apartment warm....
Nice, low noise  ceramic heater lol
About burned ceramic caps. I'm not sure, but I think they burn only those that are not in the air stream.
I need good quality pictures, but it seems to me that the corner capacitors are not the best soldered. What also may be the cause.   
October 09, 2013, 02:47:25 PM
No, and it's put out a solid 580-600 Gh/s over the last 12 hours.  Guess mine wasn't one of the .001% that had bad caps.  At least it hasn't burned up any Rasperry PI's like one of my m-boards did.  That DID go up in smoke and burn...  

But - ignore that thing on the bottom, it's just an, umm, 800 watt ceramic space heater I use to keep my apartment warm....
October 09, 2013, 02:38:08 PM
Nothing to see there - it's a, umm, like you said - a fancy stand - just a case with some fans on it.  Yeah.  Nothing important to see there - just ignore that part....

It does look smart though, this unimportant table-top ornament, very shiny. Has yours caught fire yet Wink?
October 09, 2013, 02:15:35 PM
Nothing to see there - it's a, umm, like you said - a fancy stand - just a case with some fans on it.  Yeah.  Nothing important to see there - just ignore that part....
Dig your freedom
October 09, 2013, 01:56:01 PM
Nice Spotts version 1 case there....  Thanks for the photo!

Might try turning down the humidity some - there's stuff that looks kind of like like mold growing out of the tops of all your chips....   Cheesy

Here's one of my plain-jane Bitfury rigs.  No heatsinks, nothing much but a little USB fan blowing on the h-boards.  Been running for weeks now, like a Duracell Bunny.

The KNC Jupiter under serves only as a stand right?  Tongue
Pages:
Jump to: