Pages:
Author

Topic: [Guide] Dogie's Comprehensive Bitmain Antminer S5 Setup [HD] - page 10. (Read 59228 times)

legendary
Activity: 4116
Merit: 7849
'The right to privacy matters'
Hi Guys,

Can I use the following power supply for two antminers S5 : http://www.fsp-europe.com/aurumpro1200.php

Thanks

yeah but try freq 343 for each one. run it for a day or 2.

i had the 1000 watt model. it is decent psu.

freq 343 wiil get you about 1125gh x 2 = 2250gh  if you are in europe and plane 220 volt that psu will have a little more power to spare.

As always I tell people evga 1300 g2 psu's but that is base on usa prices and usa 120 volt power
legendary
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004
Hi Guys,

Can I use the following power supply for two antminers S5 : http://www.fsp-europe.com/aurumpro1200.php

Thanks

Its pushing it a bit close for an unknown quality PSU.

It's one of the best PSUs(fsp stands for Fortron Source Power which is the well known brand Fortron) - what do you mean by unknown Smiley? Just look at the awards list on the link that I've posted.

My point is if the PSU is 1200W (80 plus gold and stable characteristics) - is it ok to handle 2*590W=1180W(which is supposed to be the power of the two antminers S5) at the regular hash rate without much overcloking ?

Capacity wise its fine as its really 2x500W pre PSU, I'm just not intimately familiar with that brand.
They're a pretty major OEM, they make rebranded PSUs for the likes of EVGA, NZXT, Antec, be Quiet, OCZ, etc. For instance, EVGA's G series is the FSP Aurum design.
legendary
Activity: 1666
Merit: 1183
dogiecoin.com
Hi Guys,

Thanks

It's one of the best PSUs(fsp stands for Fortron Source Power which is the well known brand Fortron) - what do you mean by unknown Smiley? Just look at the awards list on the link that I've posted.

My point is if the PSU is 1200W (80 plus gold and stable characteristics) - is it ok to handle 2*590W=1180W(which is supposed to be the power of the two antminers S5) at the regular hash rate without much overcloking ?

Capacity wise its fine as its really 2x500W pre PSU, I'm just not intimately familiar with that brand.
legendary
Hi Guys,

Thanks

People have reported running two non-OCed S5's on a 1200W PSU so you might be fine, though it is pushing it a little close. You'll be running it at 90% or so load 24/7, so just avoid any overclocking.
Activity: 2
Merit: 0
Hi Guys,

Thanks

legendary
dogiecoin.com
Hi Guys,

Thanks

Hi Guys,

Thanks
legendary
Activity: 2114
Merit: 1005
ASIC Wannabe
any ideas on modding the fans so its more quiet?

if you have a molex->fan adapter that provides either 5V or 7V try that.

at 7V the fan is a reasonable volume and can handle stock speeds as long as the temperatures stay <65C.  if its a colder environment, 5V is living-room volume but needs cold air or has to be set a bit below stock speed
legendary
dogiecoin.com

dogie whats 2+2 real quick

Nope.
Activity: 224
Merit: 100
Activity: 261
Merit: 257
So i have been really confused over the whole UserID.worker thing please explain to me what the worker part of it is and how do i know what it is can i just pick a random thing so (user.ctsdfcvjygaviyg)?
I hope that wasn't to hard too understand
Thanks,
Zetoid

UserID = your username on the pool, its what you login to the pool website with
worker = the name YOU give to any miner. It can be whatever you want.

Ie zetoid.AntminerS5_a, zetoid.AntminerS5_b etc
FYI some pool are buggy when handling "special" characters after the initial user delimiter, I've noticed this issue with ghash and antpool where using a "." or "_" after the initial delimiting "." or "_" will cause the pool to either reject the user or simply not show up in the account. This isn't an issue with ckpool based pools however.
legendary
dogiecoin.com
So i have been really confused over the whole UserID.worker thing please explain to me what the worker part of it is and how do i know what it is can i just pick a random thing so (user.ctsdfcvjygaviyg)?
Thanks,
Zetoid

UserID = your username on the pool, its what you login to the pool website with
worker = the name YOU give to any miner. It can be whatever you want.

Ie zetoid.AntminerS5_a, zetoid.AntminerS5_b etc
legendary
There's a couple good websites out there that have PSU databases on them if you want to do some research on what's available out there.
http://orionpsudb.com/platforms.html
http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page447.htm

The first one sorts PSUs based on their platform, the second one based on the manufacturer. The second one also lists the OEM.
It can be helpful, as even though a PSU might be a Corsair, Corsair (and most other PSU brands) don't actually make any of their PSUs, and different lines (and even different wattages in the same line) can be made by different OEMs and perform differently.
It is also helpful if you want to shop around. The popular EVGA 1300G2 is made by Superflower, and the platform is the Leadex Gold. If the EVGA is hard to get or more expensive in your area, the actual Superflow unit will work just as well and might be better for you.
Thanks,
Zetoid
legendary
dogiecoin.com
1) The first PSU is not suitable as it has 2 rails, which typically means you're relying on the PSU to properly load balance. In this case, its claimed each rail can take 30A on its own = 360W. That's really pushing it and likely explains your problems.
The second PSU is also not appropriate as its dual rail, again you're going to be relying on the PSU to load balance well to not exceed its ~200W on each rail.

Ok, thanks.
So ideally I need a 750W or greater PSU with a single 12v rail to power an S5 reliably. Or possibly use 2 molex/PCIe adaptors on one blade. The Seventeam PSU has 3 PCIe leads so I just used them and an adapter for the 4th PCIe. If I had used 2 molex leads with adaptors and 2 PCIe leads I guess it may have worked out better. I'll give the S5 a week or so on the AX1200 to rule out any local issues and then try out the Seventeam again with correct wiring.

Thanks for your help :-)

The problem is people can say its a 750W PSU but internally its really not geared up to be run at that 24/7. Stick to Corsair and you'll be fine.
Activity: 53
1) The first PSU is not suitable as it has 2 rails, which typically means you're relying on the PSU to properly load balance. In this case, its claimed each rail can take 30A on its own = 360W. That's really pushing it and likely explains your problems.
The second PSU is also not appropriate as its dual rail, again you're going to be relying on the PSU to load balance well to not exceed its ~200W on each rail.

Ok, thanks.
So ideally I need a 750W or greater PSU with a single 12v rail to power an S5 reliably. Or possibly use 2 molex/PCIe adaptors on one blade. The Seventeam PSU has 3 PCIe leads so I just used them and an adapter for the 4th PCIe. If I had used 2 molex leads with adaptors and 2 PCIe leads I guess it may have worked out better. I'll give the S5 a week or so on the AX1200 to rule out any local issues and then try out the Seventeam again with correct wiring.

legendary
dogiecoin.com
1) Can you try and find the exact model of the original PSU please?
2) I wouldn't be surprised if it was power issues with a 'cheaper' PSU, especially now its working fine.
3) 2x S5s on an AX1200 should be fine, AXs are immense. There is always a risk that it may trigger its overload protection as found on some larger PSUs, which will prevent it from turning on at all though, its a bit hit and miss. Potentially another CX750M would be safer and more cost efficient for a second S5.

1)Seventeam ST-750PWL running both blades, then tried a Corsair PSU (CX500M) on one blade and either an Antec 500W or this one pictured below on the other blade.  I'll have to look for the Antec box for the model number, it's quite old but brand new in a box. I got it as a replacement from Antec maybe 10 years ago, never used it.

The S5 is running fine now but it's only been about 5 or 6 hours on the new PSU, so if it lasts a week it will have broken its own record so far ;-)

legendary
Activity: 1190
Merit: 1000
2) I wouldn't be surprised if it was power issues with a 'cheaper' PSU, especially now its working fine.
3) 2x S5s on an AX1200 should be fine, AXs are immense. There is always a risk that it may trigger its overload protection as found on some larger PSUs, which will prevent it from turning on at all though, its a bit hit and miss. Potentially another CX750M would be safer and more cost efficient for a second S5.

1)Seventeam ST-750PWL running both blades, then tried a Corsair PSU (CX500M) on one blade and either an Antec 500W or this one pictured below on the other blade.  I'll have to look for the Antec box for the model number, it's quite old but brand new in a box. I got it as a replacement from Antec maybe 10 years ago, never used it.

The S5 is running fine now but it's only been about 5 or 6 hours on the new PSU, so if it lasts a week it will have broken its own record so far ;-)

Seventeam ST-750PWL is dual rail psu. Each rail can deliver up to 30A(360watt). Usually 1 rail for pcie & other rail for hdd molex/sata. You can use the psu if you can make modification from molex/sata to pcie.
Activity: 53

Pages:
Jump to: