Pages:
Author

Topic: [Guide] Dogie's Comprehensive Bitmain Antminer S5 Setup [HD] - page 5. (Read 59212 times)

Activity: 3
Merit: 0
First thing... the power source is the one recommended in the tutorial Corsair CX750M @750W. In online shops here this PSU has 4 PCI-E plugs with 6+2 pins and from the pictures I've seen there are 4 separate cables... that's why I asked cause was confusing. Now I understand what I have to do if I'll go this way.
Secondly... I totally get the idea of independence. It doesn't work like the ones on USB but having more machines will each produce the same amount in the same time.
But for the time being I'll reconsider the whole concept of mining, cause from what I see you must have powerful machines of over 2TH that can actually produce some profit. The S5 is no longer powerful enough at actual difficulty rate.
I was also looking for more powerful machines like S4+ but they are very expensive and to make it count one should have at least 2 of those. Also looked for second hand ones(S4+) here in my country but they are sold for the price of a new one which doesn't make sense.
So I'll take my time to think it over.
Thank you guys. You've been very helpful.
Activity: 75
Merit: 10
If you have not bought these already then you may want to do a little research.
Look at the cost of everything. You probably will not see a Return On Investment (ROI) at todays difficulty it would take 271 days of uninterrupted hashing to make your first dollar in profit after all costs and that is at the price of Bitcoin today.

but since the Difficulty changes every few days.. and the cost of electricity is also unstable and the price of bitcoin is not really stable either.. you may never really see any profit.

don't get me wrong it is still possible that things may improve in the price of bitcoin and you could make a profit.. but at least consider all options.

when you connect them to your router or switch they will both acquire an IP address from your router... you then configure them and point them to the pool of your choice..
they will both work independent from each other but if they are pointed to the same pool then yes they will produce twice the amount to the same account

once you get one and start configuring it ... all will make sense

legendary
Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000
Hello guys.
I have one question regarding the PSU for the S5 cause I've been looking around on online shops here in my country and most PSUs come with 6+2 PCI-E pins and the S5 has only 6 pins PCI-E. Enlarging the pictures of PSUs and the S5 to see if the 6 pins plug can go into the 6+2 plug of the PSU noticed that the round and square pins differ. Is there any adapter from 6+2 pins plug to 6 pins plug?
The PSUs I've been looking for are 750W, one 12V rail, at least 4 PCI-E plugs (but 6+2 pins plug only) and gold standard.
Also in terms of productivity for those using this machine... How long does it take for this machine to make 1 BTC? I'm asking this question because I want to make some calculations according to energy costs to see if it worth to use it at home or in a data center.
Thanks!

What brand/model is the psu?  You might check and see if it's 4 seperate cables, and not two cables with 2 adapters on each.   Nubminer is right that the 6 pins are all that is used.    

As far as how long here is my favorite ROI calculator - https://bitcoinwisdom.com/bitcoin/difficulty .  It varies since difficulty changes no one can give you an exact anwser on timeline to get to 1 BTC.

Thank you for the info. That helps alot.

Now one more question... a friend of mine suggested that he would buy one as well and we should connect them both over my place to use the same IP address... Now having 2 machines connected at the same pool from the same IP address will work the same as USB ones that are connected over a USB hub? I mean will their hash rate multiply some how or split the work between them so that they finish faster?

You can have multiple machines but they will need diferent IP's they cannot share IP's.   As far as doing it you will be connected to a pool and use different pool worker names.   The S5 has a controller board on it that does all the work it does not use a usb hub to mine.  Having more would just give you more hashing speed.

They are pretty simple to be honest you log in and set it up to mine.   After that you only  use the PC to check on it.  The S5 mines without usb/computer being used.
The +2 side of the plug is just left hanging .. some cable manufacturers have it connected as an 8 pin connector but you should see a break point or separator.
some PCI-E cards are 6 pin and some are 8 pin. so the cables come universal.

Antminers Use the 6-Pin portion of the cable.

here is a picture.. the Yellow arrow points to the +2 part of the cable that is NOT Attached to anything... you only attach the 6 pin part of the cable.

https://i.imgur.com/aZur9ls.jpg

One antminer S5 will take approx 80 days to make 1 BTC at current difficulty
it will cost approximately $1.44 per day in US dollars @ .10 cents per Kwh
So that 1 BTC will take approximately $115.20 worth of electricity to make.

Hope that helps

Thank you for the info. That helps alot.

Now one more question... a friend of mine suggested that he would buy one as well and we should connect them both over my place to use the same IP address... Now having 2 machines connected at the same pool from the same IP address will work the same as USB ones that are connected over a USB hub? I mean will their hash rate multiply some how or split the work between them so that they finish faster?
Some Power Supplies are Modular. and Some are not.  You are probably looking at the Socket on a Modular Power Supply ..
The Socket on the PSU is for the peripheral Cables that come with the Power supply.
In either case the cables that come with the Modular Style Power supply are marked one end says PCI-E ( that will plug into the Antminer) the other end will plug into the Appropriate socket on the Power Supply

The +2 side of the PCI-E plug is just left hanging .. some cable manufacturers have it connected as an 8 pin connector but you should see a break point or separator.
some PCI-E cards are 6 pin and some are 8 pin. so the cables come universal.

Dont Plug the CPU cable to the antminer.. make sure it says PCI-E on the plug end.

Antminers Use the 6-Pin portion of the cable.

here is a picture.. the Yellow arrow points to the +2 part of the cable that is NOT Attached to anything... you only attach the 6 pin part of the cable.

One antminer S5 will take approx 80 days to make 1 BTC at current difficulty
it will cost approximately $1.44 per day in US dollars @ .10 cents per Kwh
So that 1 BTC will take approximately $115.20 worth of electricity to make.

Hope that helps
Hello guys.
I have one question regarding the PSU for the S5 cause I've been looking around on online shops here in my country and most PSUs come with 6+2 PCI-E pins and the S5 has only 6 pins PCI-E. Enlarging the pictures of PSUs and the S5 to see if the 6 pins plug can go into the 6+2 plug of the PSU noticed that the round and square pins differ. Is there any adapter from 6+2 pins plug to 6 pins plug?
The PSUs I've been looking for are 750W, one 12V rail, at least 4 PCI-E plugs (but 6+2 pins plug only) and gold standard.
Also in terms of productivity for those using this machine... How long does it take for this machine to make 1 BTC? I'm asking this question because I want to make some calculations according to energy costs to see if it worth to use it at home or in a data center.
Thanks!
Activity: 36
Oh looks like it does have 4PCI-e connectors, but it seems like on amazon it says it has only 2 :/

http://www.corsair.com/en/cx-series-cx750m-modular-atx-power-supply-750-watt-80-plus-bronze-certified-modular-psu

Yes its 4, the Amazon listing has been bugged for a loooong time. Definitely 4 on the CX750M over 2 cable rails.

Great!
legendary
Activity: 1666
Merit: 1183
dogiecoin.com
Oh looks like it does have 4PCI-e connectors, but it seems like on amazon it says it has only 2 :/

http://www.corsair.com/en/cx-series-cx750m-modular-atx-power-supply-750-watt-80-plus-bronze-certified-modular-psu

Yes its 4, the Amazon listing has been bugged for a loooong time. Definitely 4 on the CX750M over 2 cable rails.
legendary

It's not so much the amount pf connectors but the number of cables.  If it has 2 cables with 2 each since electricity limitations.

With Power Consumption: 590 W (at the wall) 2 can do it.  You need to plug one in each blade.  And it will possibly make it where you cannot overclock depending on frequency.

Ok, I'll order this one then, thanks for the information! Definetly check out AllCryptoTalk Cheesy

Not a problem congratz on winning.  Sorry on my last post i typed it quickly and it did not sound good.

I had to reread it and type parts over. I heard a miner alarm setting off and had my mind on it.

Happy Mining!

It's not so much the amount pf connectors but the number of cables.  If it has 2 cables with 2 each since electricity limitations.

With Power Consumption: 590 W (at the wall) 2 can do it.  You need to plug one in each blade.  And it will possibly make it where you cannot overclock depending on frequency.

Ok, I'll order this one then, thanks for the information! Definetly check out AllCryptoTalk Cheesy
legendary

It's not so much the amount pcie connectors but the number of cables.  If it has 2 cables with 2 each since electricity limitations. Then it's really like having 2 total.

With Power Consumption: 590 W (at the wall) 2 can do it.  You need to plug one in each blade.  And it will possibly make it where you cannot overclock depending on frequency.

Thanks for clearing this out, but I'm a little confused now. 2 PCI-e connectors is fine? On Bitmain they say: "There are 4 PCI-e connectors for +12V DC input and all four are required for use."

Anyway i won it on https://allcryptotalk.com/, it's a very small forum compared to this one, but it's starting to grow, and they organize raffles ocasionally.
legendary
Hi guys

I just won this free Antminer S5 at another forum, and I'm really a newbie in all the mining stuff.

I just wanna make sure this one is alright:
http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Modular-Bronze-ATX12V-EPS12V/dp/B00ALK3KEM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1433066697&sr=8-1&keywords=Corsair+CX+Series+750+Watt+ATX%2FEPS+Modular+80+PLUS+Bronze+ATX12V%2FEPS12V+744+Power+Supply+CX750M

Because on Amazon it looks like it only has 2 PCI-e connectors? And we need 4 for the S5 right?

I hope you can help me with this...

Thanks in advance.

Congratz!  Where did you win it?

Yes two PCI-e will work fine.   If you were to overclock it you would possibly need four.
Hi guys

I just won this free Antminer S5 at another forum, and I'm really a newbie in all the mining stuff.

I just wanna make sure this one is alright:
http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Modular-Bronze-ATX12V-EPS12V/dp/B00ALK3KEM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1433066697&sr=8-1&keywords=Corsair+CX+Series+750+Watt+ATX%2FEPS+Modular+80+PLUS+Bronze+ATX12V%2FEPS12V+744+Power+Supply+CX750M

Because on Amazon it looks like it only has 2 PCI-e connectors? And we need 4 for the S5 right?

I hope you can help me with this...

Thanks in advance.
Activity: 63
I have an issues with one of my new S5's. The machine powers up and it looks like the network adapter is working but the green blinking light that shows its working doesn't blink like the others. Is it a simple fix just to hit the button to return it to stock setting to get this working again? I am not in the same location of my machines so its a pain in the ass to go back to reset machine. Like I said, it powers up, the fan spins but it doesn't seem to be pulling an IP address. The machine was working fine then just stopped on day. Thanks

It's hard to say.  It could be a network problem.  If you do a reset that would allow you to know it's going to be at default IP.  And you can connect to it. 

With others working in same setup that makes me think you have decent PSU's, and network working in general.   It will be a pain but a reset is not a bad idea to try.

If you can't connect to it or find it, then you're going to have to reset it. If the controller has died then that may need replacing although its reasonably rare that it will die in situ. Usually they arrive DOA after shipping.

And do remember that "default" IP on an S5 is actually DHCP'ed, so it could pop up anywhere.

Thanks for the help. The reset button solved it. It happened to a second miner since my post. I reset them both from the button on the front and they are fine for the last 2 hours. I think maybe I had all the miners too close, so I spread them out to help cool better
legendary
Activity: 1666
Merit: 1183
dogiecoin.com
I have an issues with one of my new S5's. The machine powers up and it looks like the network adapter is working but the green blinking light that shows its working doesn't blink like the others. Is it a simple fix just to hit the button to return it to stock setting to get this working again? I am not in the same location of my machines so its a pain in the ass to go back to reset machine. Like I said, it powers up, the fan spins but it doesn't seem to be pulling an IP address. The machine was working fine then just stopped on day. Thanks

It's hard to say.  It could be a network problem.  If you do a reset that would allow you to know it's going to be at default IP.  And you can connect to it. 

With others working in same setup that makes me think you have decent PSU's, and network working in general.   It will be a pain but a reset is not a bad idea to try.

If you can't connect to it or find it, then you're going to have to reset it. If the controller has died then that may need replacing although its reasonably rare that it will die in situ. Usually they arrive DOA after shipping.

And do remember that "default" IP on an S5 is actually DHCP'ed, so it could pop up anywhere.
legendary

Activity: 63
Pages:
Jump to: